TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Can't say that i've noticed that on Hulu+. IME you can skip forward over the previously-viewed ad blocks. No?
When I watched on a computer, when I backed up I got the SAME 90 second worthless commercial block - every time.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
SWFan

My experience using Hulu and Hulu+ for about three months.

With Hulu you can only watch the shows on a computer, it includes ads, and you have full access to all the content Hulu has to offer.

With Hulu+ you pay a monthly fee so you can watch Hulu on mobile devices including devices hooked up to your TV. It includes the same amount of ads, but the kicker is you DON'T have access to Hulu's full library, there are many web-only shows.

So, for paying customers you get less content, but more places to play what content you want. For free you get more content, but limited to playing on a computer.

I guess it's up to you whether you're paying for Hulu to watch select shows on mobile devices or to watch any show you want, limited to a computer.

I chose to drop paying the fee. Honestly in 4 months about 60% of what I wanted to watch I could watch, the other 40% would not play through my Tivo due to content restrictions on "mobile" devices.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."
SWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
With Hulu you can only watch the shows on a computer, it includes ads, and you have full access to all the content Hulu has to offer.
This is not true there is a significant amount of content on Hulu.com that can only be viewed in you have a Hulu+ account.

Quote:
With Hulu+ you pay a monthly fee so you can watch Hulu on mobile devices including devices hooked up to your TV. It includes the same amount of ads, but the kicker is you DON'T have access to Hulu's full library, there are many web-only shows.
When someone pays for a Hulu+ account they get the follow:
  1. Access to content that is only available with a Hulu+ account
  2. Access to HD content
  3. The ability to stream/view some content on devices other than a computer, such as a smart phone, tablet, or a TV.

Quote:
So, for paying customers you get less content, but more places to play what content you want. For free you get more content, but limited to playing on a computer.
Again not true, if you access content on a computer with a Hulu+ account you have access to more content than a person without a Hulu+ account. The same is true for other devices with a Hulu+ account you have access to some content (not as much as if you accessed it through a computer) where a person without a Hulu+ plus account has access to nothing.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #34
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I read that Hulu Plus was looking at eliminating commercials. Do they still have them at this point?

I signed up for a free month of Netflix to see how it compares to Amazon Prime and it seems like they have many of the same shows available so I'm not sure I'll stick with it after the trial ends.

I can't check Hulu Plus at work but do they have a free month trial available? I figure this month will be a good one to check out the different services.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #35
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
I read that Hulu Plus was looking at eliminating commercials. Do they still have them at this point?
yes.
Quote:
I can't check Hulu Plus at work but do they have a free month trial available? I figure this month will be a good one to check out the different services.
Not a month AFAIK, but here's a deal from August that may or may not still work.

I can refer you for the regular 2-week trial and then I'd also get 2 weeks and that adds up to a month if that works for you
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I found this deal that says you can get a free month if you sign up with PayPal. I may check that out at home tonight.

http://dealnews.com/Hulu-Plus-1-Mont...al/855642.html
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #37
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Until they kill the commercials - and more, playing the SAME commercials every time you jump back - there is no advantage to Hulu Plus over regular Hulu with Chromecast.

F them.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I'm mainly interested in a free trial of Hulu+ during December to catch some Christmas episodes of Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and WKRP. That's assuming these are all available through my Roku and not via computer only.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #39
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Until they kill the commercials - and more, playing the SAME commercials every time you jump back - there is no advantage to Hulu Plus over regular Hulu with Chromecast.

F them.
How can there be no advantage to having access to more content???
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I'm mainly interested in a free trial of Hulu+ during December to catch some Christmas episodes of Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and WKRP. That's assuming these are all available through my Roku and not via computer only.
Of the shows you listed, 0 of them have any content available via Hulu+ that Isn't also available on free Hulu.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #41
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

I have no problem with commercials in Hulu +, the're short and on older shows they have only a few at worst.

In conjunction with Play-on, a sweet service.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
jgametest

Lightbulb HuluPlus vs. Hulu

To watch entire series on Hulu you must be plus, if you want to watch on your Tivo, or Mobile Devices you need Plus. Recently the old HuluDesktop application went dead and times out with an error indicating it's not longer supported. This leaves users with understanding to use newer versions or www.hulu.com for access. Even Plex pulled their app as Roku released an official HuluPlus application.

www.hulu.com/kids
Hulu Kids is commercial free.

We have been a HuluPlus subscriber since Last Christmas when our 6month trial ended which came with our Premiere XL during a promo with purchase.

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/hulupluso...ode/index.html (CLOSED)

More importantly if there is a series or movie that is missing we have support to send information for a license attempt to add to network. And lately those channels have been very quick. A group of us send multiple request for BBC programing such as Doctor Who, TorchWood, Sherlock, Red Dwarf and more and our request was granted in a huge way.

http://www.hulu.com/companies/bbc-worldwide

To add your request simply hit
www.hulu.com/discussions/6
There is some free content but it's very limited.

Last edited by jgametest : 12-10-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: misworded Roku information had Hulu should have been HuluPlus
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
TEven Plex pulled their app as Roku released an official application.

What do you mean by "as Roku released an official application"?
There is no official hulu app for Roku, there's only hulu+
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Okay, I got the free one month Hulu Plus trial last night and watched a few old TV shows with Christmas themes. I watched a Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, ALF, and something else. I was disappointed that more seasons of each show weren't available. I checked several other shows and many times they'd only have one season available. Was really disappointed they only had the last few episodes of The Simpsons available.

For each show I watched they had 3 separate 1 minute commercial breaks (2 ads each break). Several were repeated (Academy Sports and some car ad or something with elves came up a few times).

Overall, I doubt that I'll continue with Hulu+ after my free trial. There just isn't enough available that Amazon Prime & Netflix doesn't already have. And Netflix doesn't offer enough extra stuff that Amazon doesn't already have. I really wish that at some point these companies would all merge into one huge streaming service with every episode of every show and every movie available for streaming.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #45
jgametest

Red face Just gota dig

The entire series of ALF is there, Rhoda is only showing (1) season they are missing the remaining 4 seasons. If a show has the entire list you hit seasons and then look for the one you wish to play. With X-files it goes from 1-9. It basically depends on the need of viewers and then licensing to acquire it. Same thing with the Star Trek franchise you can start from the beginning to Enterprise in it's entirety. Even Lost Season 1-6

Now besides browsing by name or show you could just hit the networks individually. Time consuming but an option:

http://www.hulu.com/tv/networks..

Then again scanning choices by way of genres might be easier.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #46
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Yeah, ST:TNG all seasons are available on Amazon and I've started watching those the last couple of months. Same with X-FIles. It'd be nice if every episode of every show that was on a DVD was available to stream.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #47
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Yeah, ST:TNG all seasons are available on Amazon and I've started watching those the last couple of months. Same with X-FIles. It'd be nice if every episode of every show that was on a DVD was available to stream.
I finished 2.5 men (the Charlie EP) and moved on to ST:TNG a few weeks back. I started on Hulu+ but decided to watch them on Netflix with no commercials
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I have Hulu+ mostly for Comedy Central shows like TDS and Tosh.0.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #49
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Really? Cool. I added ST:TNG on BBC America HD to my DVR and have been running out of space. I have 21 hours saved of eps saved.

It's amazing how many episodes I either don't remember or never saw.
UVerse and OTA

Old 12-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #50
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Yeah, until I got Amazon Prime a couple months ago and started watching TNG, I was never really into it. I didn't even know it was shown on BBC and then I starting recording from there since it looked more like HD. It is filling up my Directivo too much, though.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #51
PalmTrees

I just tried out Hulu Plus and found that, on TV shows, it gives you two ads of about 30 seconds each. Sometimes on regular Hulu I would get ad blocks of 3 ads, AFAICR.

Also, I started watching a film (selection is mostly older, offbeat) and the time bar did not indicate ad breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
The claim is that Hulu Plus subscribers watch less commercials, but it that really true. And if there are less commercials, how much less?

I'm a bit skeptical when Hulu marketing info states that paying subscribers help keep costs down. The reality for all advertising business models is to maximize profits through advertising. If Hulu has companies buying ad time for for TV series XXX, I can't see them turning down money because they have a policy of only couple minutes (or whatever) of ads for paying subscribers. I would suspect that if they could match the networks with 18-19 minutes of of ads per hour, Hulu would do it.

PalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #52
PalmTrees

I agree. There's a significant amount of films (mostly offbeat stuff) that are only available on Hulu Plus. Example - I helped someone find a foreign film they'd been looking for a long time on Hulu Plus (it was not available on regular Hulu). (Incidentally, that same film was also not available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
This is not true there is a significant amount of content on Hulu.com that can only be viewed in you have a Hulu+ account.

When someone pays for a Hulu+ account they get the follow:
  1. Access to content that is only available with a Hulu+ account
  2. Access to HD content
  3. The ability to stream/view some content on devices other than a computer, such as a smart phone, tablet, or a TV.

Again not true, if you access content on a computer with a Hulu+ account you have access to more content than a person without a Hulu+ account. The same is true for other devices with a Hulu+ account you have access to some content (not as much as if you accessed it through a computer) where a person without a Hulu+ plus account has access to nothing.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #53
PalmTrees

Amazon has quietly 'stolen' a lot of content away from Netflix and placed it on Prime over the past year... A lot of discovery channel, science channel, history channel, BBC America, etc., is no longer on Netflix.

Just do a Google search on (Netflix licensing cable network) to see a raft of stories on it.

Quote:
Yeah, until I got Amazon Prime a couple months ago and started watching TNG, I was never really into it. I didn't even know it was shown on BBC and then I starting recording from there since it looked more like HD. It is filling up my Directivo too much, though.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #54
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I have Hulu+ mostly for Comedy Central shows like TDS and Tosh.0.
Aren't all of these free on Comedy Central's own sites? (Does Hulu Plus have FEWER commercials?)

I have watched the cut off *end* of a few Colbert Report episodes on Amazon Prime (no commercials) since I had too many shows recording at midnight. (I really really should try turning off clipping at some point, maybe after I actually get a 6 tuner Tivo.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #55
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Maybe, but its a PITA to watch website videos on my TV.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #56
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I've been sick in bed with the flu since Thursday and have been watching a lot of TV. Turns out that it was a good move to sign up for the free month trials of Netflix & Hulu Plus. I definitely decided to cancel the Hulu after the trial because most of the shows I found myself watching were available on Netflix and Amazon Prime and without commercials. The ad that kept repeating for me was one with a guy inside of a store telling people to switch to Cricket.

Maybe Hulu is best for watching more recent TV shows but since if there is a recent show I want to watch I would have tivoed it, then it's not worth it to me. If they ever do eliminate ads then I might consider it but then only for older TV shows (Mary Tyler Moore, etc)
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #57
poppameth

I just got Hulu Plus setup on my PS3. Video quality on most of the shows I've watched has been pretty bad, and I'm on a good fast cable connection. I've consistently gotten two ads every 10 minutes so far. If I wasn't getting it free I don't think I'd be willing to pay for it.

For anyone that doesn't know, you can get free Hulu Plus through Bing Rewards.

It takes me about 5 minutes a day of random searching to rack up enough points for free Hulu Plus every month. I also signed up with the Paypal link to get the first month free.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #58
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
I just got Hulu Plus setup on my PS3. Video quality on most of the shows I've watched has been pretty bad, and I'm on a good fast cable connection. I've consistently gotten two ads every 10 minutes so far. If I wasn't getting it free I don't think I'd be willing to pay for it.

For anyone that doesn't know, you can get free Hulu Plus through Bing Rewards.

It takes me about 5 minutes a day of random searching to rack up enough points for free Hulu Plus every month. I also signed up with the Paypal link to get the first month free.
Hmmm... that's around 2.5 hrs/month to save $7.99/mo. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy random searching with Bing and what else you have to do with your time. I'm retired but I still think I'd rather just pay the $$.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #59
poppameth

5 minutes is probably an over estimate. I haven't really timed it. I just search for something and then click on the related search links in the right column until I hit my quota of 30 searches a day. Doing it that way probably takes about 2 minutes. I wouldn't recommend actually using Bing as a search engine by any means. Just milk the system for rewards. If nothing else, do the searches during Hulu commercials. You'll have more than enough time!

Last night I was getting three ads every ten minutes. The ad breaks seem to always be 1 minute whether that is two or three ads. What I find the most annoying is that they put them in exactly every ten minutes regardless of what is actually happening in the show. You can be right in the middle of a fast action scene and get cut off for ads. These shows were designed to have commercial breaks at certain points. Why not use those natural breaks?
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #60
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Your just starting to figure out what the rest of us already have...

Which is not to even bother with Hulu Plus.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote