TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
BigFoot48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 59
Giving An R10 To Goodwill

I have an old, working R10 I want to get rid of by giving it to Goodwill. Am I correct that I should remove the Access card before doing this?
__________________
DirecTV since April 1998; Directv R34
BigFoot48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond
 
stevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 24,195
TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, you should remove the access card any time you dispose of a DirecTV receiver. (By "dispose" I mean transfer it so you no longer have it.) The value of the R10 to Goodwill is close to zero, though.
__________________
Steve
stevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
BigFoot48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 59
Thanks for the info. It was either Goodwill or the hazardous waste service which takes old electronics. Will Goodwill just junk it too?
__________________
DirecTV since April 1998; Directv R34
BigFoot48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond
 
stevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 24,195
TC CLUB MEMBER
Don't know. Probably after a while.
__________________
Steve
stevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide
 
litzdog911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mill Creek, Washington
Posts: 12,015
I'm surprised Goodwill will take an R10. It's highly unlikely they'll find anyone to buy it.
__________________
Sony SAT-T60 120GB (v3.5b)
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR21-200 HD DVR
AM21
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond
 
stevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 24,195
TC CLUB MEMBER
They won't know what it is initially.

I helped my mom take a bunch of stuff to Goodwill yesterday including a lot of stuff I thought was trash. The one thing they refused was a set of 1964 encyclopedias.
__________________
Steve
stevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide
 
litzdog911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mill Creek, Washington
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
They won't know what it is initially.

I helped my mom take a bunch of stuff to Goodwill yesterday including a lot of stuff I thought was trash. The one thing they refused was a set of 1964 encyclopedias.
1964 encyclopedias might actually be worth something!
__________________
Sony SAT-T60 120GB (v3.5b)
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR21-200 HD DVR
AM21
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
bukzin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: California
Posts: 31
Glad you are thinking about recycling/donating but some of these big outfits
are rip-offs.

Goodwill may lead the list in corp. greed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3478013.html
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
1964 encyclopedias might actually be worth something!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pc-1970-W...item2ec68c8c38

20 pc 1970 WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA COMPLETE SET A-Z WHITE & DARK GREEN EUC!!!
20-pc-1970-WORLD-BOOK-ENCYCLOPEDIA-COMPLETE-SET-A-Z-WHITE-DARK-GREEN-EUC
Price:
US $99.00

I think the Goodwill it a good place to take stuff, as they usually try to recycle, where most thrift stores trash most electronics that don't sell.

I think Goodwill is getting some bad press as the people that get 20 cents per hour can't really work anywhere else due their disabilities, so any kind of work it good for them. I am not associated in anyway with Goodwill.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
bukzin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: California
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pc-1970-W...item2ec68c8c38

20 pc 1970 WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA COMPLETE SET A-Z WHITE & DARK GREEN EUC!!!
20-pc-1970-WORLD-BOOK-ENCYCLOPEDIA-COMPLETE-SET-A-Z-WHITE-DARK-GREEN-EUC
Price:
US $99.00

I think the Goodwill it a good place to take stuff, as they usually try to recycle, where most thrift stores trash most electronics that don't sell.

I think Goodwill is getting some bad press as the people that get 20 cents per hour can't really work anywhere else due their disabilities, so any kind of work it good for them. I am not associated in anyway with Goodwill.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but $700,000 per year
does work out to more than $0.22 per hour!

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/....html?page=all
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen
 
replaytv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver ish Colorado
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
I don't really have a dog in this fight but $700,000 per year
does work out to more than $0.22 per hour!

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/....html?page=all
**Woof woof!!**


Any CEO that runs a organization that big makes the big bucks. You expect the CEO to work for free just cause his organization hires people that wouldn't get hired by anyone else because of their disabilities?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-TV-DV...item2332b64ef6
Amazingly enough, people still do still buy R10 TiVos.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |