TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
netw0rks

Problem tuning channels

I've had my Roamio Plus for a few days (almost a week) and I am seeing an issue when changing channels. A lot of times the channel won't tune at all. No error comes up, just a blank screen. A small percentage of the time, if I channel up or down, then back, the show will tune. Most of the time, nothing.

I was just watching a movie on Cinemax, changed channel, then back,and poof, black screen.

This happens on standard cable channels, as well as premiums. I don't think I've seen it on "free" channels, so this must be to do with the cable card.

Would you guys/gals agree? Who should I yell at first, Tivo, or Time Warner?
netw0rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by netw0rks View Post
I've had my Roamio Plus for a few days (almost a week) and I am seeing an issue when changing channels. A lot of times the channel won't tune at all. No error comes up, just a blank screen. A small percentage of the time, if I channel up or down, then back, the show will tune. Most of the time, nothing.

I was just watching a movie on Cinemax, changed channel, then back,and poof, black screen.

This happens on standard cable channels, as well as premiums. I don't think I've seen it on "free" channels, so this must be to do with the cable card.

take some time to read this thread (Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

Likely TWC. Check your CC firmware version and post in that thread.

You can also reduce your number of active tuners as a workaround if this is your issue.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
netw0rks

Will do. I can use all 6 tuners, so that's why I didn't head there. But, I will certainly check it out, thanks.
netw0rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
AdamNJ

Quote:
Will do. I can use all 6 tuners, so that's why I didn't head there. But, I will certainly check it out, thanks.
Well because you said this:

Quote:
makes me think it is the firmware issue. I have said issue and my 6th tuner can tune a clear qam channel just fine. In such cases where there is no encryption on the channel, the CC isn't used at all. Tune to an encrypted channel and poof, black screen / v58 'not authorized' message.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
brianm729

Quote:

I am having the exact same problem but have yet to figure out why. I do have the older firmware on my cable card so I have set my tivo to 4 tuners instead of 6. I no longer see the V58 message, but now random channels fail to tune just like you said. I called tivo support and they said I have too strong signal strength, close to 100, and high SNR around 40. So i put in a few splitters and brought it down to about 90 signal strength and 35 SNR. Still had tuning issues. I had comcast come out and they said if anything my signal strength was weak even before the splitters. Now I have no idea what to do and Tivo support has no idea either. Pretty disappointed that a brand new tivo unit is already limited to 4 tuners and still can't even tune consistently. Apparently this was an issue with the premier boxes too but tivo didnt fix it in the roamios.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
I am having the exact same problem but have yet to figure out why. I do have the older firmware on my cable card so I have set my tivo to 4 tuners instead of 6. I no longer see the V58 message, but now random channels fail to tune just like you said. I called tivo support and they said I have too strong signal strength, close to 100, and high SNR around 40. So i put in a few splitters and brought it down to about 90 signal strength and 35 SNR. Still had tuning issues. I had comcast come out and they said if anything my signal strength was weak even before the splitters. Now I have no idea what to do and Tivo support has no idea either. Pretty disappointed that a brand new tivo unit is already limited to 4 tuners and still can't even tune consistently. Apparently this was an issue with the premier boxes too but tivo didnt fix it in the roamios.
Having the exact same problem. Today I split the signal and am now at about 75-90 signal strength. I could be crazy but it seemed like when surfing channels they tuned in quicker. Probably insanity from dealing with this issue.
dkraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Gumby256

Thumbs down I've had the problem for years!

I have the original TiVo HD and once in a while I get the black screen, can't tune in channels or find it trying to record a show and it didn't actually tune it in so I don't get the show recorded. Heck the whole reason I get the DVR is to record my shows and it fails at that! I've had this problem since day 1, it was very frustrating but adding an attenuator helped so it is not as often. Just happened to me again tonight when I turned on the TV and found it recording a black screen. I thought about getting another TiVo many times but I have friends who have purchased new premieres and have the same issue so I am considering going to dish and getting their "hopper" dvr. It's unfortunate that this problem has been around for so many years and generations of hardware and it continues in the new Roamio. I know for a fact the problem is with the TiVo and not the tuning adapter, cable card, or cable service. A friend who live across town has an older premiere and a newer premiere xl4. The older one does not have the issue but the newer one does. He has swapped cable cards, tuning adapters and locations and the problem always follows his XL4. Please fix this issue TiVo!
Gumby256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
DigitalDawn

It's probably not the XL4. Going from 2 tuners to 4 is a big deal in the cable-card world. You need to have updated firmware in the cable-card for it to work properly.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote