TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
nrnoble

Is TVLand airing uncut episodes?

I gave up on TVLAND years ago because they hacked and time pressed episodes really badly. Recently while looking at the on screen guide, I noticed sometimes hour long episodes from the 60s & 70s are running about 1:15.

Because I do not watch TVLAND anymore, I have no idea why the episodes would be that long other than being uncut and\or more commercials.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Might get some responses if this was in the correct forum ( Now playing -- TV Talk)
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Because I do not watch TVLAND anymore, I have no idea why the episodes would be that long other than being uncut and\or more commercials.
They could be cut AND have more commercials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Edmund
Remote Czar

Could be that they playing "The Virginian", which had running length of 75 minutes per episode?
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
celtic pride

I"m pretty sure it a lot more commercials! Even shows like the exes record 38 minutes because of the extra commercials, I dont recall ever seeing any other stations do this,Is enough to make me stop recording off that station,and I would never watch ''live'' if i had to sit through all those commercials!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
They could be cut AND have more commercials.

Now that is really scary. I no fan of TVLAND any more, but it's hard to believe they would be that ruthless.

I used a TVRO dish back when TVLAND first started and they had ZERO commercials (as did SiFi channel), and stayed that way for 1-2 years. Yeah, I get it, they were building and audience, but boy, its a big swing from no commercials to what they have today.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Might get some responses if this was in the correct forum ( Now playing -- TV Talk)
Thanks Mr. Spock, I will keep that in mind next time.
Tivo user since 1999.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
If I were a network like TV Land, I'd experiment with running more commercials in smaller timeslots... as in speed the commercials up -- a lot -- and air the original uncut episodes. The killer is when there's so many people leave the room or fast forward via a DVR. Compress them into manageable time periods and you might get people staying around, especially if they get sorta funny with really fast movements/talking. At the rate they're now at I could probably drive to the grocery store for a snack and back again before a commercial break is finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Worf

Better yet, cut each 30 second ad into 1 second segments so as you 30 second skip, you get a full ad

Watch at regular speed and you get an interesting mishmash.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Has TV Land always crammed in extra commercials? I don't recall them doing that several years ago. I stopped recording King of Queens from there because they not only shoved 6 extra minutes of commercials, but they also edited out parts of scenes.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
mattack

AFAIK, essentially no station runs uncut reruns... at least normally. SciFi ran ST:TOS uncut many years ago and advertised it heavily (though they ALSO cut in commercial breaks in really awkward times and ran in extra long timeslots).. and I think they're the one that often runs Twilight Zone marathons on New Year's day, and runs them in ~36 minute timeslots.. so I *suspect* those are uncut too..

This (hacked reruns) is one reason I _virtually_ never watch reruns. One exception I just started is Cougar Town. Most of the eps of the cable station's original season were on a drive I killed, so I just started recording their reruns. I *hope* they're not cut, or at least much, since THEY made the episodes and they're about a year old.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I've seen every episode of King of Queens at least 25 times and still watch every day. Both TBS and TVLand cut out parts of the show, but the funny thing is that they cut out different parts of it. I would have assumed it was done at the factory and then TBS and TVLand just showed it how they got it, but apparently they each cut their own.

I've occasionally watched a KoQ ep on DVD and it's always a treat to see a complete scene that was cut up in syndication.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote