TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
web1b

Tivo Mini Internet Requirements?

Will a Tivo Mini continue to work to watch live or prerecorded TV in your home when there is a Tivo C133 outage or local ISP outage or is it fully dependent on having a constant connection to Tivo's servers to work?
web1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
MikePA1

It's very easy to test this. Disable your Internet connection.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
web1b

Maybe it would be if I had a Tivo Mini, but I don't have one yet. I wanted to know the answer to this before making a purchase.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
MikePA1

You can test it with just a Roamio, you have one of them, right?

During the recent C133 errors, that everyone had to post that they were seeing it and got their panties in a wad over, I could watch live TV and recorded shows on my Roamio.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
web1b

I cannot test Tivo Mini-specific functions with just a Roamio.
I wanted to know if the remote access to the Roamio on the secondary TV with the Tivo Mini would still work if Tivo servers are down or if the local ISP has an outage.
In other words, is the Tivo Mini connecting to the Roamio directly via the local home network or is it going out to the Internet to talk to Tivo's "cloud servers" first before it accesses the Roamio?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't know about live TV, but watching recordings still works. My wife has a Mini she uses to watch TV on the treadmill. When the service was out on Tuesday I would have heard about it if watching recordings didn't work. (she never watches live TV though so I can't confirm that)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I have a Premier, not a Roamio, but:
All of the streaming video providers were wiped out.
Streaming recorded shows from my premier worked fine, with shows description, etc also all showing up normally, if I remember correctly.
I didnt try live tv either, but id be surprised if it didnt work.... though the Roamio seemed to have more problems with the loss of internet from the looks of things on here...
-Mini
-Stream
-Comcast/TiVo Mutant dvrs - RIP
-2x Upgraded Series 2 - Retired
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
kherr

Doesn't it need to "phone home" ever so often to validate the account and for updates???????
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
Doesn't it need to "phone home" ever so often to validate the account and for updates???????
Yes, but what's your point? This discussion is about what capabilities a Mini has during a temporary outage of the TiVo servers.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
Yes, but what's your point? This discussion is about what capabilities a Mini has during a temporary outage of the TiVo servers.
He just asked a question. No need to be a horse's arse about it. This and your reply above were both rude.

Just sayin'
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
web1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
I have a Premier, not a Roamio, but:
All of the streaming video providers were wiped out.
Streaming recorded shows from my premier worked fine, with shows description, etc also all showing up normally, if I remember correctly.
I didnt try live tv either, but id be surprised if it didnt work.... though the Roamio seemed to have more problems with the loss of internet from the looks of things on here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't know about live TV, but watching recordings still works. My wife has a Mini she uses to watch TV on the treadmill. When the service was out on Tuesday I would have heard about it if watching recordings didn't work. (she never watches live TV though so I can't confirm that)
According to this Amazon review, that is not correct.
The reviewer says you lose access to watching content from the Tivo Mini when the Tivo service is down.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NSM7E...=&nodeID=&tag=
Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
According to this Amazon review, that is not correct.
The reviewer says you lose access to watching content from the Tivo Mini when the Tivo service is down.
And, of course, everything you read on amazon.com is correct. Not.

Define "content." My two Minis were able to access live and recorded content from my Roamio Plus during a C133 outage.

I didn't try Netflix or other content providers -- and I probably wouldn't -- I have an Apple TV for that sort of stuff.
DeltaOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
web1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
And, of course, everything you read on amazon.com is correct. Not.

Define "content." My two Minis were able to access live and recorded content from my Roamio Plus during a C133 outage.

I didn't try Netflix or other content providers -- and I probably wouldn't -- I have an Apple TV for that sort of stuff.
I don't have a Tivo Mini.
This is what the Amazon review says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokus Pokus
If the Tivo servers are down, like they have been since yesterday, you can't watch a show via the mini (the main Tivo is still able to tune a show, but the Mini cannot communicate with the main unit for some reason).

Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Our Mini worked fine when the TiVo servers were down. It sounds like that guy has a more general connectivity problem.

Although one thing I did notice is that while the TiVo servers were down my local network was a bit slow because it seems the TiVos are constantly polling the server to try and get the connection back. I noticed it mainly with my Ooma phone. It was all choppy like a bad cell phone connection. But if I unplugged the TiVos from the network it worked fine.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote