TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #8851
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The "safe route" was returning the 2 S-cards and getting a M-card. Comcast wasn't charging me $1.50 for the 2nd card despite their policy nor are they charging me any outlet fees, but I figured 5 cards might have raised some flags in their system. Otherwise I could just keep requesting more and more cards and getting more and more off my bill.

On demand is available in my area as it's on my Premiere. I'm just waiting for it to show up on the Roamio.
If you had TWC the temptation to have them pay you to be a customer would have been irresistable.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #8852
ezgoin51

I'm having the most frustrating problem getting my new Tivo Roamio Pro to recognize a Comcast cable card. I brought home the new Tivo (and Tivo Mini) from Best Buy on Friday and got all the networking connections working. The Mini in the bedroom is connected via MOCA and the web-based services, Netflix, etc. were working fine. I picked up a cable card from Comcast on Saturday, but the card was not recognized at all by the Tivo box (161-1 error code). I scheduled a Comcast service call on Monday morning. Technician brought a new card, but had no luck getting it recognized by the Tivo and still got the 161-1 error code. Technician thought it was a problem with the Tivo box, so I exchanged it for a new Roamio Pro at Best Buy. Tried the replacement cable card that the Comcast technician brought in the new Tivo box on Monday night. Same result... cable card is not recognized by this Tivo box either. The only thing I've ever seen on the CableCard page of the TIVO Settings Menu (on both the original and the 2nd Roamio Pro box) is the big gray picture of the cablecard slot with "No Card" next to it.

I've been on the phone with Tivo support (they never heard of this happening before) and Comcast support (they suggested trying another new cable card from the Comcast office).

My local (Manchester, NH) Comcast office was out of cable cards this morning, so I went to another office in Nashua, NH and picked up two new cable cards, which I will try tonight, after work. If neither of these work, I think I'll just return return everything to Best Buy and go back to Comcast DVR service. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Feeling very frustrated!
ezgoin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #8853
ezgoin51

Finally got a cable card to work (third one I tried). Success!
ezgoin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #8854
gnychis

hi all, I just got a Tivo Premiere (TCD746500) with lifetime service. I have some questions regarding what fees to expect from Comcast. I've been doing my best to read through this thread and Google. I am in Palo Alto, CA.

It appears that the first CableCard is free. Given that the TCD746500 has two streams, I should just get a single M-Card which will cover both streams? I should not be charged a monthly fee for the CableCard, or an initial fee?

I should be getting $2.50 a month back on my bill, regardless of anything else, just for owning my own (eligible) equipment.

Should I be charged the HD service fee or not? Reading Google and this thread, it seems like YMMV? I haven't setup my box yet with Comcast, but I'm wondering if I should be arguing against paying this fee or not. Obviously, I'd love to not pay it :P
gnychis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #8855
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

FCC requires Comcast to issue multi-stream cable cards (not sure what grandfather clauses might apply for their existing stock).

You should get a discount ($2.50 sounds about right) since you're only renting a cable card and not a set-top box.

I've never paid an HD fee. To me the fee represents Comcast's ability to charge more for an HD STB than an SD one. Sometimes they do try to apply is when there's no STB involved, though.

It gets interesting when you have multiple TiVos, because Comcast gets confused between the charge for a second outlet (maybe $10) and the small charge for a second cable card at a particular outlet. Since the second cable card fee (around $1.15) is less than the customer-owned equipment discount (the $2.50 discount you've mentioned) many of us see our bill go down with each cable card (I don't know how easy it is to exploit this). When I got my second TiVo I moved the first to the bedroom and had the second cc installation in the same location where Comcast had installed the first - maybe this helped me get the smaller cable card fee instead of a larger second outlet fee.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #8856
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnychis View Post
hi all, I just got a Tivo Premiere (TCD746500) with lifetime service. I have some questions regarding what fees to expect from Comcast. I've been doing my best to read through this thread and Google. I am in Palo Alto, CA.

It appears that the first CableCard is free. Given that the TCD746500 has two streams, I should just get a single M-Card which will cover both streams? I should not be charged a monthly fee for the CableCard, or an initial fee?

I should be getting $2.50 a month back on my bill, regardless of anything else, just for owning my own (eligible) equipment.

Should I be charged the HD service fee or not? Reading Google and this thread, it seems like YMMV? I haven't setup my box yet with Comcast, but I'm wondering if I should be arguing against paying this fee or not. Obviously, I'd love to not pay it :P
I'll just add the following to pdhenry's response:

You are correct in postulating that YMMV. You should be prepared to ask questions, negotiate, and carefully check your bill each month if you don't want to pay extraneous fees. Your experience and negotiating leverage will also depend in part on the extent and type of services you are subscribing to. Unfortunately, Comcast's billing procedures are so disorganized that I don't believe anyone can predict accurately which fees you will encounter.

Theoretically, though, if you only have the one digital outlet using a TiVo DVR (which, as you correctly surmise, takes a single multi-stream CableCARD), you should expect the CC to be free of charge and you are also entitled to a COE ("customer-owned equipment") credit of $2.50. There should be no "initial charge," and whether you self-install the CC (recommended) or have to order a truck-roll you should not have to pay any installation fees. (If they try to charge you for the technician's visit, it is usually fairly easy to get this charge waived.) If you have a second digital outlet (whether using your own or a Comcast-supplied STB), you will likely be assessed an additional $9.95 (or so) per month which is usually labelled as something along the lines of "Additional Digital Outlet" or "Digital Service." As far as I can tell, whether the HD service fee is imposed seems to depend largely on the type of services you are receiving, if it is not entirely random.

Remember that, in principle, everything is negotiable if you are willing to take the trouble to get into the weeds with Comcast's CSR's. Just be prepared to make more than one phone call, be friendly and polite at all times, do not get emotional, try to create "win-win" scenarios to bolster your arguments, and if you are not satisfied, BE PERSISTENT. If the billing department CSR seems uncooperative or unknowledgeable, just hang up and call again until you get someone on the line who is more helpful. Also, it is usually necessary to escalate the conversation to a supervisor or, even better, the customer retention department, to get the best deals.

Good luck and please give us an after-action report to add to the knowledge base on these issues.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #8857
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnychis View Post

Is the TiVo the only box you have connected or do you have one of their boxes also? if you have another box, they will probably add a "Digital Service" or "Additional Digital Outlet" fee.

You shouldn't be charged the HD fee unless you have one of their HD boxes.

They must issue an m-card unless you specifically request on s-card.

They must allow you to self-install and they must inform you of that option.

As you noted, you really don't know in advance what Comcast will end up doing. It varies from place to place and even customer to customer. As noted by others, you may have to fight them.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #8858
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You shouldn't be charged the HD fee unless you have one of their HD boxes.
According to Comcast, the charge is not for the box, it is to receive HD channels. They may not add it unless you have one of their boxes, but once it's added it's nearly impossible to get Comcast to remove it. I haven't had a box from Comcast for years, but they still charge me the HD fee, despite me asking them multiple times to remove it. If you have Comcast's Triple Play, they waive the fee.

On a related note, Comcast will soon start charging a "Broadcast TV" fee to get broadcast channels.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...-TV-Fee-126783
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #8859
chiguy50

Quote:
According to Comcast, the charge is not for the box, it is to receive HD channels. They may not add it unless you have one of their boxes, but once it's added it's nearly impossible to get Comcast to remove it. I haven't had a box from Comcast for years, but they still charge me the HD fee, despite me asking them multiple times to remove it. If you have Comcast's Triple Play, they waive the fee.
Right, and that tends to corroborate my characterization of the HD fee imposition as seemingly random.

I helped to negotiate my condominium complex's bulk services agreement with Comcast two years ago, including conducting due diligence on various services and providers. One of the cost points that I focused on was the question of the $9.95 HD technology fee. AT&T Uverse insisted on including this charge, and I was careful to confirm and reconfirm with the Comcast MDU account exec that the HD technology fee would not be assessed on our digital preferred TV service package; it was a major differentiator in total cost per user, assuming the individual subscriber was using some form of HD reception device. As far as I am aware, none of our residents is currently paying this charge.

Quote:
On a related note, Comcast will soon start charging a "Broadcast TV" fee to get broadcast channels.

Interesting. I wonder which lucky customers will get to pay this additional fee? (QUOTE: A birdie at Comcast also tells me many TV subscribers will also start to see a new $1.50 "Broadcast Fee" if they haven't done so already.) And is it just a "coincidence" that it coincides with the encryption of all QAM channels?
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #8860
unitron

Quote:

Considering that OTA broadcasters make cable companies pay for the privilege of providing them with viewers who are subcontracting their OTA antenna needs to the cable company in order to receive what is free to receive if you do it OTA, I kind of don't blame the cable companies for breaking that out as a separate cost to put the blame where it belongs.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #8861
midson

As is mentioned time and time again in these forums, some people can't get OTA. I live at the base of hill in Portland, OR that completely blocks all reception from the antennas on the next hill over. If I want broadcast TV, I have to pay for limited basic service thru Comcast. The whole reason it exists is for people with circumstances similar to mine.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #8862
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
According to Comcast, the charge is not for the box, it is to receive HD channels. They may not add it unless you have one of their boxes, but once it's added it's nearly impossible to get Comcast to remove it. I haven't had a box from Comcast for years, but they still charge me the HD fee, despite me asking them multiple times to remove it.
From my Comcast price list:

HD Technology Fee -- HD converter replaces standard definition converter on primary outlet.

My parents' account was charged the fee, and I got it removed through online chat, pointing out that we didn't have the HD STB.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #8863
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
From my Comcast price list: HD Technology Fee -- HD converter replaces standard definition converter on primary outlet. My parents' account was charged the fee, and I got it removed through online chat, pointing out that we didn't have the HD STB.
I'll have to check, but I think my price list does say "HD service".

On a side note, my price list lists an HD outlet charge which it says is for HD cable boxes. Comcast once added that to my bill, but I got them to remove it since I have no HD cable boxes. Currently I pay no additional outlet fees, which is why I never pressed the HD Technology Fee issue since I don't want Comcast to tack on outlet fees for all my cable cards.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #8864
morac
Cat God

Got my bill with the price changes for January. Internet is going up $2 and TV is going up $4.50 (including a $1.50 broadcast TV charge). That's about 4%.

The charge for a second CableCard in a device is lowering to $1, but the charge for renting a box and remote is also going down (meaning the CC credit will go down).

The only plus side for me is that I'm still getting credit for 4 cards, though I only have 3. That whole portion of my bill makes no sense, but at least it's in my favor. What's really dumb is I could likely save money switching to Comcast's triple play, but I don't want their phone service.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #8865
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Nothing that says you have to connect a phone to their box...
Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #8866
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Nothing that says you have to connect a phone to their box...
True though I just remembered I'd need to rent their modem. That costs $8 a month now, so it wouldn't be cheaper.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #8867
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I think I've about had it with Comcast/Xfinity. I have 2 Premiere's each with a cable card. HD service for about 8 years. On my account, there's a line item called Digital Access Fee for $9.95. I was told in the past it was so I could get HD channels. Rip-off extra fee (since I have no Comcast branded boxes) but whatever.

Today I went to the local Comcast office to get for my kids a couple of HD DTA adapters for their bedrooms. Good enough to give them each HD local channels and apparently some basic channels as well. The lady at the counter told me that I haven't been paying for HD service and there will not only be the additional $1.99 fee per HD DTA (which I was ok with), but also she needs to add a $9.95 HD Technology Fee. WTF? I told her I already got HD and was paying $9.95/mo for it. But apparently since I'm actually not renting a box from them, it somehow costs me more to just have a cable card.

Do you guys also get double dipped? I'm in the Chicago subs.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #8868
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I think I've about had it with Comcast/Xfinity. I have 2 Premiere's each with a cable card. HD service for about 8 years. On my account, there's a line item called Digital Access Fee for $9.95. I was told in the past it was so I could get HD channels. Rip-off extra fee (since I have no Comcast branded boxes) but whatever.

Today I went to the local Comcast office to get for my kids a couple of HD DTA adapters for their bedrooms. Good enough to give them each HD local channels and apparently some basic channels as well. The lady at the counter told me that I haven't been paying for HD service and there will not only be the additional $1.99 fee per HD DTA (which I was ok with), but also she needs to add a $9.95 HD Technology Fee. WTF? I told her I already got HD and was paying $9.95/mo for it. But apparently since I'm actually not renting a box from them, it somehow costs me more to just have a cable card.

Do you guys also get double dipped? I'm in the Chicago subs.
The $9.95 fee you are currently paying is not "so (you) can get HD channels", it is for the second digital outlet (one is included in your package). Still bogus, IMHO. I'm paying three of them. You should also be getting two $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment Adjustment" credits.

The HD technology fee is only supposed to apply if you have one or more of their HD boxes.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #8869
VideoGrabber

Quote:
The $9.95 fee you are currently paying is not "so (you) can get HD channels", it is for the second digital outlet (one is included in your package). Still bogus, IMHO. I'm paying three of them. You should also be getting two $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment Adjustment" credits.

The HD technology fee is only supposed to apply if you have one or more of their HD boxes.
To expand on James' comments a bit...

1) You should be receiving a $5/mo credit on your bill for your 2 Premieres. If you're not, get them to fix it. And ask them for a retroactive refund, since they have not been in compliance with FCC mandated regulations. So they've been overcharging you.

2) While I agree with James that AO (Additional Outlet) fees are bogus conceptually, they are legitimate, in the sense that the FCC allows them. We should probably try and be clear about the distinction.

3) The HD Technology fee IS supposed to apply only with a Comcast HD box, though getting that applied properly is hit or miss. So, contrary to their claims, you should NOT have been billed for this before, since you had none of their hardware.

But what I'm not sure about is if the Comcast HD-DTA is a qualified trigger. If it is, then the fee is legitimate now (not before), since you just added 2 Comcast hardware HD-DTAs to your service. If you added only SD-DTAs, they could clearly NOT charge you the HD Tech fee. [Also, only one HD Technology Fee can be imposed per household. Not per device.]

4) The $2 fee for the HD-DTAs is legitimate, but they have to give you one of them for free, for one year, if you tell them that you previously had a digital TV on one outlet for the basic channels. See:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

But they likely won't, unless you request it. And don't let them try and charge you more AO fees for those DTAs. Technically, the $2/mo fee is for a limited functionality digital AO, and the DTA box itself (plus remote) is included in that, for "free".

[This is based on published Comcast/Xfinity information, in my service area, in SW Michigan. YMMV, in specific monthly rates, but broadly speaking, the policies should apply.]

Last edited by VideoGrabber : 12-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
VideoGrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #8870
mike-d

Angry Comcast CableCard Channels are authorized then not, then are again???

I have a strange issue where certain channels (usually USA, fx) work fine, then tivo says they are not authorized, then later they are fine. This seemed to start happening after I moved my cable card from my priemere xl4 to the roamio pro. I have tried to get a newer cable card, but my comcast office only has older ones (as well a dented and smashed ones). Any ideas?
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #8871
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-d View Post
I have a strange issue where certain channels (usually USA, fx) work fine, then tivo says they are not authorized, then later they are fine. This seemed to start happening after I moved my cable card from my priemere xl4 to the roamio pro. I have tried to get a newer cable card, but my comcast office only has older ones (as well a dented and smashed ones). Any ideas?
Did you have them pair it to the new TiVo?

Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #8872
mike-d

cablecard issue

Quote:
Did you have them pair it to the new TiVo?
Yes paired OK and all diagnostics are good.
Thx
Old 12-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #8873
HazelW

Quote:
Read the thread "Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized". That is the exact problem they describe.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #8874
mike-d

Yup - This would appear to be my problem. I will set the tivo to 5 tuners and see what happens. Getting an updated cable card from comcast is way too hard...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #8875
roguewave24

Just purchased Tivo Roamio - tried to obtain CableCard from local Comcast office. They ran out of cablecards in the morning - so I have to wait a week to try again. Or next option is to schedule install technician for $35. I'm starting to have buyer's remorse about the Tivo Roamio, especially after scanning through these forums....
roguewave24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #8876
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave24 View Post
Just purchased Tivo Roamio - tried to obtain CableCard from local Comcast office. They ran out of cablecards in the morning - so I have to wait a week to try again. Or next option is to schedule install technician for $35. I'm starting to have buyer's remorse about the Tivo Roamio, especially after scanning through these forums....
Hang in there rogue. If you ever wanted to go TiVo this is the time to do it. It will be worth it once you get the card paired. That's really the only hassle and it sounds like it's gotten much better since the last time I tried it. Once you get it working they are pretty reliable. At least mine have been.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #8877
mike-d

Keep us posted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave24 View Post
Mine has been fine since I changed the roamio to only use 5 tuners (per forum posting). I am not happy about having to do that, but this will do for now.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #8878
mike-d

So far ok

Quote:
Yup - This would appear to be my problem. I will set the tivo to 5 tuners and see what happens. Getting an updated cable card from comcast is way too hard...
Set at five tuners I have not had the issue yet. Lets see after premiere week, starting next week, when my season passes go crazy.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #8879
Raoul99
A/V Addict

I have 2 Roamio+ and a XL4, with 3 cablecards on Comcast in Central Mass. All were working well, but I have never received On Demand...when I try to tune it, I get a V53 error on all machines. I just found out recently that the Tivo's can know get On Demand, so I decided to call Comcast today to get them to activate it. They tried to reset/repair the cards a couple of times, and one time they told me to wait about an hour, and if it didn't work, to call them again. Nothing has worked so far, but all of my other channels are working fine (I don't have any premium movie channels).

They're supposed to call me tomorrow to work on the problem. They say that I should be receiving On Demand. Can anyone give me any info that I can use to get them moving in the right direction?

Rick
Raoul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #8880
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I can almost guarantee that it's a back office problem and not a cable card problem. No OnDemand experience but when they suggest swapping the cards don't let them leave until it fixes the problem.