TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
bfwk122

Setup for Roamio

I am setting up the Roamio Pro in my living room and I am taking my HDXL and putting it in the bedroom. How should I handle putting the new one in line.. Should I have it running awhile and let it do updates or put the cable card into it and let it update? Also will I be able to access my HDXL programs that are recorded in the bedroom from the Roamio in the living room? Thank you very much in advance..Best regards...Bob...Also I have Verizon Fios..

Last edited by bfwk122 : 12-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Go through Guided Setup before inserting the CableCARD. CableCARD issues are a lot easier to deal with when you're out of Guided Setup.

You will be able to transfer shows between your Roamio and HDXL as long as they are not protected. Although personally I think you should consider selling the HDXL and getting a Mini for the bedroom instead. The streaming experience is a lot more pleasant then transferring, and it'll save you the cost of the CableCARD in the HDXL. Plus it can stream anything, even protected shows, so you don't have to worry about your cable company protecting something and screwing you up.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Go through Guided Setup before inserting the CableCARD. CableCARD issues are a lot easier to deal with when you're out of Guided Setup.

You will be able to transfer shows between your Roamio and HDXL as long as they are not protected. Although personally I think you should consider selling the HDXL and getting a Mini for the bedroom instead. The streaming experience is a lot more pleasant then transferring, and it'll save you the cost of the CableCARD in the HDXL. Plus it can stream anything, even protected shows, so you don't have to worry about your cable company protecting something and screwing you up.
Except you will lose any protected shows that are on the HDXL. I would love to replace my Premiere Elite and Premiere 2 tuner box with a Roamio pro and a mini but my wife has many cable shows saved on the Elite that are copy protected that she will lose if I replace it.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
headless chicken

What channels other than HBO are copy-protected?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
It depends on the cable provider and location. Some providers lock down everything but locals and others only lock down premiums like HBO.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
I am on Time Warner. For me every channel is copy protected except the local OTA stations.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Except you will lose any protected shows that are on the HDXL.
Only if it is abandoned.

Quote:
I would love to replace my Premiere Elite and Premiere 2 tuner box with a Roamio pro and a mini but my wife has many cable shows saved on the Elite that are copy protected that she will lose if I replace it.
Leave the Elite hooked up to the TV until you watch all the shows.
Might not be convenient, but you won't lose the shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
I am on Time Warner. For me every channel is copy protected except the local OTA stations.
Comcast was like that in CT in 2008, I got an VP on the phone and told him other than the HBOs channels, unless Comcast had instructions to block, the rest could be open, within 2 weeks all were open (except HBO etc)

Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
celtic pride

In my area of southern calfornia on verizon fios HBO,and cinemax are are copy protected,I think epix ,movie channel,showtime and starz are fine though.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote