TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
bfwk122
Registered User
 
bfwk122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 21
Setup for Roamio

I am setting up the Roamio Pro in my living room and I am taking my HDXL and putting it in the bedroom. How should I handle putting the new one in line.. Should I have it running awhile and let it do updates or put the cable card into it and let it update? Also will I be able to access my HDXL programs that are recorded in the bedroom from the Roamio in the living room? Thank you very much in advance..Best regards...Bob...Also I have Verizon Fios..

Last edited by bfwk122 : 12-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,492
Go through Guided Setup before inserting the CableCARD. CableCARD issues are a lot easier to deal with when you're out of Guided Setup.

You will be able to transfer shows between your Roamio and HDXL as long as they are not protected. Although personally I think you should consider selling the HDXL and getting a Mini for the bedroom instead. The streaming experience is a lot more pleasant then transferring, and it'll save you the cost of the CableCARD in the HDXL. Plus it can stream anything, even protected shows, so you don't have to worry about your cable company protecting something and screwing you up.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
dave13077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Go through Guided Setup before inserting the CableCARD. CableCARD issues are a lot easier to deal with when you're out of Guided Setup.

You will be able to transfer shows between your Roamio and HDXL as long as they are not protected. Although personally I think you should consider selling the HDXL and getting a Mini for the bedroom instead. The streaming experience is a lot more pleasant then transferring, and it'll save you the cost of the CableCARD in the HDXL. Plus it can stream anything, even protected shows, so you don't have to worry about your cable company protecting something and screwing you up.
Except you will lose any protected shows that are on the HDXL. I would love to replace my Premiere Elite and Premiere 2 tuner box with a Roamio pro and a mini but my wife has many cable shows saved on the Elite that are copy protected that she will lose if I replace it.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
headless chicken
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 206
What channels other than HBO are copy-protected?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
What channels other than HBO are copy-protected?
It depends on the cable provider and location. Some providers lock down everything but locals and others only lock down premiums like HBO.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
dave13077
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
What channels other than HBO are copy-protected?
I am on Time Warner. For me every channel is copy protected except the local OTA stations.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Except you will lose any protected shows that are on the HDXL.
Only if it is abandoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I would love to replace my Premiere Elite and Premiere 2 tuner box with a Roamio pro and a mini but my wife has many cable shows saved on the Elite that are copy protected that she will lose if I replace it.
Leave the Elite hooked up to the TV until you watch all the shows.
Might not be convenient, but you won't lose the shows.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I am on Time Warner. For me every channel is copy protected except the local OTA stations.
Comcast was like that in CT in 2008, I got an VP on the phone and told him other than the HBOs channels, unless Comcast had instructions to block, the rest could be open, within 2 weeks all were open (except HBO etc)
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
celtic pride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 290
In my area of southern calfornia on verizon fios HBO,and cinemax are are copy protected,I think epix ,movie channel,showtime and starz are fine though.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |