TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
pvenuti

Starting with a bare 2tb drive

I have a series 3 with what I believe is a bad drive so I cant back it up. I also have a Hatachi(p/n 0F10311) 2tb SATA 3 drive as a donor.

What I need is some direction in locating instructions for imaging the drive with the appropriate software to get back up and running. Most things I have read thus far are dated and talk about the lack of info on TB drives as well as the need to have a backup to begin with. Can someone point me to a relevant thread where I can find an image as well as instructions for tools to get the job done.

Thank you in advance.
pvenuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvenuti View Post
I have a series 3 with what I believe is a bad drive so I cant back it up. I also have a Hatachi(p/n 0F10311) 2tb SATA 3 drive as a donor.

What I need is some direction in locating instructions for imaging the drive with the appropriate software to get back up and running. Most things I have read thus far are dated and talk about the lack of info on TB drives as well as the need to have a backup to begin with. Can someone point me to a relevant thread where I can find an image as well as instructions for tools to get the job done.

Thank you in advance.
Which model S3?

The 648, the 652, or the 658?

Do you have a PC running Windows XP or newer, on which you can install the WinMFS program?

I don't know for certain that that particular 2TB drive will work in an S3, but a 2TB in an S3 is certainly possible, as I've got WD20EURS's in one 648 and 2 652s doing just fine.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
pvenuti

It's the S3 648.

Yes Windows 7.

Sure to installing WinMFS
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
It's the S3 648.

Yes Windows 7.

Sure to installing WinMFS
648 image suitable for restoration with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk

Since you have to register at mfslive.org forums to get WinMFS and you can't register there anymore:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s_beta9_3f.zip

Unzip that file and you've got a simple .exe file, so tell the unzipper to unzip it to wherever (like C:\, or C:\Program Files) you want it, then just double click it to run.

You have to be logged on with admin rights for it to work.

What you do is tell it to select the drive to which you want to restore the image, then select the .tbk file as the image you want to restore.

Where it gives you the option to set the swap partition size, go ahead and enter 1024 to make sure there's no question of it not being big enough.

That's only about 15 minutes of video worth of hard drive space, so consider it cheap insurance.

Do not tell it to not use the optimized partition layout if it offers to let you do so. (It may not even offer when restoring a Series 3 drive, but the optimized layout is what's been used ever since the Series 2, and not using it can cause complications--if it doesn't even offer you the option of not using it, then don't worry about it, it's going to use it automatically)

While it's writing the image to the drive it may appear to have frozen up.

Just let it alone and it'll eventually finish (although if it isn't done inside 10 minutes or so, something's probably wrong).

When if finishes restoring to that 2TB drive, it'll say you have extra space and do you want to expand.

As strange as it seems, tell it no.

Then go to the file menu and click on mfsinfo.

If it doesn't report any problems, close that and click on mfsadd.

That will do the expanding.

Why it has to do the expanding as a separate step I do not know.

Since we're using a drive for which I haven't yet seen any sucess stories, you could exit after running mfsinfo, put the drive in the TiVo and test it, and if all seems well, shut down the TiVo and put the drive back on the PC and go back into WinMFS and select it and click on mfsadd.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
unitron

And if you don't already have a free Dropbox account, you and I can both get extra free space there if you let me send you an invitation so that I get credit if you sign up.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
sfhub

Quote:
What symptoms do you have on the bad drive? Depending on how bad, you might be able to recover the contents using the new drive.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I believe Spike just idiot-proofed the most common avenue for drive expansion so people weren't left with units that wouldn't boot when 1.5/2TB drives wered used in conjunction with the current TiVo software at that time, which couldn't handle > 1TB partitions.

Back then, the only way to use > 1TB partitions was using Jamie's linux kernel modification so it wasn't that big a deal for people at that level of knowledge to do a separate step to utilize their first drive.

Today with the 11.0k software supporting > 1TB partitions, as you pointed out to me, the default for WinMFS should probably be the other way, with > 1TB partition by default and using the separate step only to limit the partition to < 1TB.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
pvenuti

Sorry for the slow response.

Unfortunately I already have a drop box account.

Unitron the image you provided worked flawlessly. I downloaded WinMFS ran it as an administrator from Win7. Chose no to expanding the drive checked MFSInfo no errors jumped right to MFSAdd again no issue.

Popped the drive back in the S3 and it booted right up.

The hardest part about the whole process was the initial Tivo setup. It got stuck once the first time through or I was inpatient after it found the cable cards I thought it was hung so I restarted it. After that I had a failure while doing the initial download maybe my connection blipped not sure restarted that and I seem to be up and running now. Looks like 287 hours of HD or over 2000 of SD.

Thank you so much for the help
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Sorry for the slow response.

Unfortunately I already have a drop box account.

Unitron the image you provided worked flawlessly. I downloaded WinMFS ran it as an administrator from Win7. Chose no to expanding the drive checked MFSInfo no errors jumped right to MFSAdd again no issue.

Popped the drive back in the S3 and it booted right up.

The hardest part about the whole process was the initial Tivo setup. It got stuck once the first time through or I was inpatient after it found the cable cards I thought it was hung so I restarted it. After that I had a failure while doing the initial download maybe my connection blipped not sure restarted that and I seem to be up and running now. Looks like 287 hours of HD or over 2000 of SD.

Thank you so much for the help
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Happy viewing.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
sfhub

Quote:
Looks like 287 hours of HD or over 2000 of SD.
I am not sure if there any issues with SuperSize and a 2TB drive, but I did it on mine and got 318HD hours.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
648 image suitable for restoration with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20/648250b.tbk

Since you have to register at mfslive.org forums to get WinMFS and you can't register there anymore:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s_beta9_3f.zip

Unzip that file and you've got a simple .exe file, so tell the unzipper to unzip it to wherever (like C:\, or C:\Program Files) you want it, then just double click it to run.

You have to be logged on with admin rights for it to work.

What you do is tell it to select the drive to which you want to restore the image, then select the .tbk file as the image you want to restore.

Where it gives you the option to set the swap partition size, go ahead and enter 1024 to make sure there's no question of it not being big enough.

That's only about 15 minutes of video worth of hard drive space, so consider it cheap insurance.

Do not tell it to not use the optimized partition layout if it offers to let you do so. (It may not even offer when restoring a Series 3 drive, but the optimized layout is what's been used ever since the Series 2, and not using it can cause complications--if it doesn't even offer you the option of not using it, then don't worry about it, it's going to use it automatically)

While it's writing the image to the drive it may appear to have frozen up.

Just let it alone and it'll eventually finish (although if it isn't done inside 10 minutes or so, something's probably wrong).

When if finishes restoring to that 2TB drive, it'll say you have extra space and do you want to expand.

As strange as it seems, tell it no.

Then go to the file menu and click on mfsinfo.

If it doesn't report any problems, close that and click on mfsadd.

That will do the expanding.

Since we're using a drive for which I haven't yet seen any sucess stories, you could exit after running mfsinfo, put the drive in the TiVo and test it, and if all seems well, shut down the TiVo and put the drive back on the PC and go back into WinMFS and select it and click on mfsadd.
Unitron, is that a clean non booted image? No C&D Everything needed? Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
pvenuti

Looks like I spoke to soon.

When I went back to setup season passes etc I found an error saying that a hardware error had been found and to restart. I did the restart and while rebottling get applied updates. Now I go into the unit and try to record from live TV(had not tried this after my fix) and it dose nothing no message noting. Found the error about the hardware issue and to reboot but no detail. Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:

When I went back to setup season passes etc I found an error saying that a hardware error had been found and to restart. I did the restart and while rebottling get applied updates. Now I go into the unit and try to record from live TV(had not tried this after my fix) and it dose nothing no message noting. Found the error about the hardware issue and to reboot but no detail. Any thoughts?
You might try a "Clear & Delete Everything" and then redo guided setup w/o the restart you did the first time. You'll also need to re-pair the CableCARDs.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
sfhub

Quote:

The error might have been from your impatience earlier messing up some structures with the early reboot.

What version was the image? If it was 11.0k, then the "applying updates" might have been because it had downloaded 11.0m, and was waiting for a reboot (which you supplied) before applying.

If you have trouble recording from live tv, go into system info and look at the dates for GC, Indexing, and especially Guide View Cache. In my recent experience, even if you have successfully connected to mothership and the program guide grid shows 13 days of shows, those shows are not "seen" by the TiVo scheduler until the Guide View Cache is updated. What that means is when you try to record in certain situations, it acts like you have empty guide data, even though you think you have (and do have) 13 days.

Clear and delete everything will probably fix it all. If you have stuff you care about, like cable card pairings (I don't know if you mentioned re-pairing your cable cards after using unitron's image) then you can try the less intrusive redo of video provider from settings->channel->channel list (press enter, and select the same video provider as previously)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
ggieseke

Also check the Media Access Key. If it's all zeroes you need to run C&DE.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
unitron

When you make a truncated backup image from a particular TiVo, it copies the unique TiVo Service Number of that particular TiVo.

When you restore to a drive and put that drive into a TiVo with a different TSN, you have a conflict that has to be dealt with. Sometimes you get an error 51 notification. If the backup was set to start out in Guided Setup, it should take care of the TSN mismatch at the same time, I think, otherwise you'll have to do a C&DE.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
pvenuti

Ok nest question. I believe repeating the guided setup resolved most issues in that the Tivo is up and running and connecting to my account no issue. When thumbing through the channels it skips some stations I know I have. If I enter the number from the remote it takes me there I can see the program but don't have guide info for it? I assume I must have done something wrong when identifying what cable package I have? Thoughts on how best to remediate this.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Ok nest question. I believe repeating the guided setup resolved most issues in that the Tivo is up and running and connecting to my account no issue. When thumbing through the channels it skips some stations I know I have. If I enter the number from the remote it takes me there I can see the program but don't have guide info for it? I assume I must have done something wrong when identifying what cable package I have? Thoughts on how best to remediate this.
I'm looking at an S2 right now 'cause everything else is on the bench or tied up actually TiVo'ing in the other room, but

Messages and Settings, Settings, Channels

or something like that should take you to where you can edit your channel list.

If it's off a lot, go into System Info and make sure the right zip code was entered and the right cable company and if all of that is right but the lineup is wildly off, contact TiVo Customer Service and tell them they seem to have the wrong lineup attached to your zip and cable co combo.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
pvenuti

Fiddling around with it I seem to have it so I can thumb through all the channels now but still some are without guide info. I checked guide info and adjusted the filters which seemed to help but still cant get the guide for the discovery channel and a few in and around it. Unitron, in your last post you mentioned editing the channel info I did that and that's gotten me this far but no guide info any other suggestions.

Thanks for getting me this far.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
afs12065

Unitron - THANK YOU! Your instructions and related image file for the 648 saved me. The restore/rebuild process worked flawlessly. I did have the Error 51 problem. That was solved with a C&DE. The S3 HD lives to see another day. :-) Thanks again.
afs12065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Fiddling around with it I seem to have it so I can thumb through all the channels now but still some are without guide info. I checked guide info and adjusted the filters which seemed to help but still cant get the guide for the discovery channel and a few in and around it. Unitron, in your last post you mentioned editing the channel info I did that and that's gotten me this far but no guide info any other suggestions.

Thanks for getting me this far.
Since I no longer get email notifications of replies, I sometimes miss them, like this one. Sorry.

What's the latest status on your situation?

Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
pvenuti

Hey Unitron,

No worries. I did another reset and got it working correctly. In the end the drive I had laying around ended up being to noisy or possibly on its way out so I picked up a 1tb that's nice and quite humming along just fine. Thank you for all your help and the image.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Hey Unitron,

No worries. I did another reset and got it working correctly. In the end the drive I had laying around ended up being to noisy or possibly on its way out so I picked up a 1tb that's nice and quite humming along just fine. Thank you for all your help and the image.
Glad to hear it worked out.