TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
siratfus

TivoHD vs Tivo Premiere OVER THE AIR

Hey Guys, does anyone happen to know definitely which is better for OVER THE AIR? I have a basic tivoHD with lifetime service on it. I don't plan to put a cable card in it. Will tune it with over the air antenna.

I also have a basic premiere without subscription on it. Will also tune it with over the air, with no tivo function.

TivoHD will get back more money, but that doesn't matter. I just want to know which one is "known" for better over the air reception. Or, is that solely dependent on the antennae? Thank you.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
ggieseke

The general concensus around here seems to be that the tuners in the Premieres aren't quite as sensitive as the Series 3s, and they're more prone to multi-path interference problems. YMMV.

I'd probably stick with the lifetime HD.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, I think the deciding factor here would be whether or not you use the OTT services (Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, etc.) a lot.
The Series 3 line is EOL and won't be getting any more updates which means that what is available is all there's going to be, while the Premiere is likely going to continue to get updated since it's code base is newer and more in line to what the Roamio uses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
siratfus

Well first up to bat is the Premiere.. Been playing around with it and I'm very confused. I got a ota antenna that goes "IN" in the antenna of the tivo. The verizon coaxial is "IN" in the cable of the tivo and "OUT" to the tv. No cable card. When I first did the set up, I chose ANTENNA only, then I did channel scan it got over 1000 channels. Of course they don't all work. Channels would show up like this.. 2.1 ANT 2.1 Cabl. The channels with the "Cabl" label would show up, whereas the channels with the ANT were blank and had the tivo V52 thing.

Can someone explain what I was seeing? Why did the channels labeled Cabl tune in while the ones saying ANT didn't. But that's not the confusion, the confusion is when I decided to run the set-up again, this time choosing both Cable and Antenna and selecting "I will not be using a cable card." Just for the heck of it. I wanted to see if we can tune in some cable channels. I know Fios doesn't work that way, you can't even get basic cable like Charter, they absolutely force you to have a card or a box, but I wanted to try anyway. But during this set-up, I believe my premiere got a firmware upgrade or something because the interface all of a sudden looked like my Roamio. It no longer finds over 1000 channels, it dropped to just over 700. And all the channels labeled "CABL" were gone. Before I would get 2.1 ant, 2.1 cabl, 4.1 ant, 4.1 cabl, and so on. But now all the cabl ones are gone. And the ANT ones are black screen with the V52 thing.

Can someone explain?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote