TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
srauly

Former TiVo user w/questions thinking of coming back

Hello all, I'm a former TiVO user who switched to a Windows Media Center PC w/SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME cablecard tuner (actually, I have a 2nd one I bought still in box). So I've currently got 3 tuners active and another 3 I could easily add. I'm using this along with a couple of XBox 360's as extenders. So I've already laid out the original expenses, and it's probably dumb of me to even be thinking about switching back to TiVo, but the reasons I'm considering coming back are as follows:

1) My WMC experience is mostly great, but it's not as completely reliable as it was back in the day with TiVo. My main WMC server seems a bit flakey at times (worried a bit that the computer or hard drive might be failing), and I often turn on the TV to find that the screen is in a goofy resolution and I have to exit the WMC app and restart it. This was a bigger concern a while ago, but I've since trained my wife how to deal with this bug and she seems comfortable with the workaround now. I suspect that if I update Windows or some drivers or something I can probably fix it. Nevertheless, the theme here is that the WMC experience isn't as reliable or spouse-friendly as my old TiVo HD was.

2) Even though I have a couple of XBox 360's, I really only need to have two rooms operational. So some of the added cost of running a TiVo household is minimized a bit, and saving $20/month isn't necessarily a huge concern for me at the moment.

3) I really like the idea of the iOS functionality. We have a couple of iPads. I've been messing around for a while with Plex on my WMC box and while it does a great job of transcoding already-recorded TV shows, it doesn't support live TV and the Plex developers haven't shown any interest in this being a top priority for them. I look at this as another alternative to laying out money on a 3rd TiVo. Instead of having a 3rd TiVo in my daughter's room (which is difficult to run ethernet to, so the 3rd XBox 360 for her room doesn't get used much - it has WiFi, but full-bitrate MPEG-2 HD content is too bandwidth-heavy, so anytime she'd use it, it would be flakey).

4) I gotta admit...I miss that TiVo remote. Interestingly enough, I knew this going in and toyed around with some Windows applets which would possibly let me continue to use my TiVo remote, but they were a headache to set up and never worked flawlessly. I eventually gave up and just switched to using Harmony remotes (more money spent!) but I still miss the simplicity and layout of my old TiVo remote.

So, all that said, some questions...

a) I have a TiVo HD that I got a lifetime subscription on as part of a $99 email offer I got a while back. But it's just collecting dust. If I got a Roamio TiVo as my main unit, could I somehow utilize this older TiVo HD in my 2nd room and still transfer recordings between the two boxes, or would the TiVo HD be pretty much "disconnected" from the Roamio? FWIW, I have Comcast with no pay channels, so (AFAIK) all of my channels are flagged as copy-freely. If I can't connect the two to transfer shows, then I'd probably want to just get a TiVo Mini or entry model Roamio for the 2nd room, which then leads me to my next question...

b) What kind of money can I realistically get for that old TiVo HD w/lifetime?

c) I also have a new-in-box TiVo HD which was never activated and has no lifetime service (bought it on a whim when Blockbuster was clearancing them for $99 or something, but I could never justify paying the $13/month to activate the service, so I never opened the box). I'm guessing this is pretty much worthless to anyone else, but is there some way I can make it useful for a reasonable cost or finagle (sp?) another low-cost lifetime deal for it?

d) I'm seeing that Amazon is selling the entry-model Roamio right now for $150. This sounds like a better value proposition than buying a TiVo Mini for that 2nd room. I believe that the monthly/lifetime service for a Mini is a bit less than for this box, and the Mini is obviously smaller, but are there any other advantages to using a Mini in my 2nd room vs a basic Roamio? Along these lines...how painless is the process of transferring/streaming a show from one Roamio to another?

e) If I had a Roamio Plus (with built-in streaming capability) in one room and a basic Roamio in another, could I somehow use the Roamio Plus' streaming ability to stream (to my iPad) a show that's actually stored on the basic Roamio in the other room?

f) Just how good is the streaming picture quality (when used in your home network, as well as streaming outside of the house)? I'm very picky about PQ and I couldn't find any online reviews of the Roamio or TiVo Stream that said anything other than "the PQ was surprisingly good". I'd like something more measurable than that. FWIW (for anyone familiar with this), I've used both the AirVideo and Plex apps on my iPhone to play streamed Blu-ray movies and HD TV shows and the quality from those apps is really, really good, so I'd be expecting that level of PQ.

g) I got a "special offer" from TiVo via email offering me a new TiVo Roamio w/lifetime for $575/750/900 (depending on model), but those prices don't seem like anything special. Am I missing something? For example, it looks like I could buy a $150 TiVo Roamio from Amazon and add the lifetime for $400, for a total cost of $550.

h) For those of you who have been around for a long time (original TiVo HD or even pre-HD models) and/or have experience with Windows Media Center, how rock-solid reliable are the current TiVo Roamios? If one of the reasons for me considering switching back is because of the occasional bugginess of WMC, I'd hate to find that the current TiVo experience had similar/other annoying bugginess.

i) If I was to switch back, I'm entertaining the idea of using my old TiVo remotes (I've got a few) to control both my new TiVo Roamio and Apple TV, since the Apple TV can "learn" from any remote, and the old TiVo remotes had a hard 1/2 switch on them. What features/feel do the new TiVo remotes offer that I might regret losing out on if I did this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Tapwave Zodiac news, reviews, and discussion -

Last edited by srauly : 11-19-2013 at 11:04 PM.
srauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
unitron

You might, and I stress might, be able to leverage buying a new TiVo into getting the $99 lifetime deal on the never-used HD, but it would probably take a lot of Customer Service Rep Roulette to get one that'll go along with it if you ever could get one to do so.

If you'd been paying monthly or yearly on it for the last 3 years or so your chances would be much, much higher.

You could keep that lifetimed HD and use it as a second unit, but how useful it would be would depend on your cable company and how freely they do or don't slap the anti-copy bit on everything they can.

You should be able to sell it for $200 to $300.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
srauly

Thanks for the reply. I have Comcast and no pay channels, so all my channels are copy freely (I will update my original post to include this info). Can you provide more details as to what the process/experience is like for transferring/streaming shows between a Roamio and an old TiVo HD?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
AdamNJ

I can't help u with questions a, b, c

d: i would say the mini is better, unless u think u need the extra tuners and hd space. 5 (or is it 6) a month is better then the 13 (i think) it would cost in tivo service. also if u have to pay for cable cards, add that cost in. You can get the mini for 86 from amazon, and lifetime is 159. Not sure on this but i don't think u have to transfer the recording, it just streams.

e: yes a plus/pro can stream any recording it has access to, so that includes a roamio basic and i believe a tivo hd

f: i've tried the ooh streaming on my brother's ipad and it started out slow/bad at a pq of 2 of 7, but once it hit 5 it was good to me.

g: maybe only when u look at the basic but it looks more like a deal on the plus/pro

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
Devx

a) The 2 Tivos will be able to transfer shows using MRV but not streaming so as long as the channels are marked copy freely this will work. I'm in a Comcast market as well and only the pay channels in my market have the copy protect bit set.

d) To add to AdamNJ's post, you can't transfer a show to a mini as it doesn't have local storage. Streaming only but all trickplay functions (FF, Rew, skip) are available immediately in contrast to transfers (e.g. to an older Tivo HD box).

e) Streaming only works from a S4 (Premiere) or later. S3 (Tivo HD) and earlier are not supported.

f) I use AirVideo as well and downloading shows, at Medium quality for out of home, is comparable on the low end depending on what setting you have AirVideo on. In home streaming quality is excellent. It should be noted that the Tivo app does not support AirPlay or HDMI out as AirVideo does.

h) My Roamios are fairly solid in regards to reliability but I primarily use them as DVRs. Others have posted that some of the other apps that run, such as Netflix, may cause issues with stability. YMMV.

i) RF. The new Roamios are fast and the RF remote takes it up a notch with faster UI response compared to traditional IR on the older remotes and Apple TV remote.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
srauly

Thanks for the comments everyone. Bumping this post so that it will get some more looks/comments. I realize that I probably asked way too many questions in a single post. I should have broken it out into multiple posts with more focused questions, so I've now started a couple of new threads as well.

Can someone clarify what, exactly, I'll be able to do with a Roamio / TiVo HD (S3) combo? It sounds like I can't have my Roamio (whether it be a Roamio Plus or a basic Roamio w/separate TiVo Stream) stream shows to my iOS device that are stored on the older TiVo HD S3. But I can transfer shows between the Roamio and TiVo HD, right? Can I do that in real time (effectively, what I'd consider "streaming") or do I have to select a show, and wait a while for the some/all of the show to fully copy over to the other TiVo?

Edit: Devx mentioned MRV, which is terminology I used to be familiar with but had forgotten. So I did a quick search and it sounds like I'll need to wait for the show to completely transfer over before I can start watching it. Assuming that is correct, what is a realistic amount of time that this will take (assume a 1 hour HD show)? I have a gigabit network and the TiVo units will be connected via ethernet, but I'm pretty sure the TiVo HD is 100mbps ethernet.

Last edited by srauly : 11-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
unitron

Depending on exactly what's meant by MRV (Multi-Room Viewing), you may not have to wait.

For instance I can use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy shows from one TiVo to a PC, and then once it's on the PC, I can copy it to another TiVo located where I'm actually going to be for a while, and start watching a few moments after the copy starts (TiVo calls it transfer, but the source isn't erased).

Of course I've got it set to NOT use the fastest method because that would make my Series 2 TiVos useless. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, I rarely do TiVo to TiVo "transfers", but I think I remember being able to go ahead and start watching while it was still copying over.

In my case there's usually at least one of the TiVo wireless G adapters involved and an hour long SD analog cable show makes it in about half an hour or less.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. Bumping this post so that it will get some more looks/comments. I realize that I probably asked way too many questions in a single post. I should have broken it out into multiple posts with more focused questions, so I've now started a couple of new threads as well.

Can someone clarify what, exactly, I'll be able to do with a Roamio / TiVo HD (S3) combo? It sounds like I can't have my Roamio (whether it be a Roamio Plus or a basic Roamio w/separate TiVo Stream) stream shows to my iOS device that are stored on the older TiVo HD S3. But I can transfer shows between the Roamio and TiVo HD, right? Can I do that in real time (effectively, what I'd consider "streaming") or do I have to select a show, and wait a while for the some/all of the show to fully copy over to the other TiVo?

Edit: Devx mentioned MRV, which is terminology I used to be familiar with but had forgotten. So I did a quick search and it sounds like I'll need to wait for the show to completely transfer over before I can start watching it. Assuming that is correct, what is a realistic amount of time that this will take (assume a 1 hour HD show)? I have a gigabit network and the TiVo units will be connected via ethernet, but I'm pretty sure the TiVo HD is 100mbps ethernet.
You will be able to copy shows between the 2 Tivos but the Stream included with the Plus will not be able to stream directly from the THD. It's normally possible to stream a show to an iOS device while it's being recorded or transferred so this should work with a THD MRV transfer too although I'll admit I haven't tried it from a THD (it works between Roamios and Premieres). To be sure it's clear, you can start a transfer (MRV) from your Tivo HD to the Roamio, then start a stream on iOS from the Roamio while the transfer is still in progress.

MRV doesn't require you to wait, you can watch while it transfers. Just note you can't FF past what has been transferred so some of the initial commercial skips may run into the end of the transfer.

When I had my THD's on a gigabit network, the shows transferred at ~32Mbps which usually resulted in most hour long HD shows transferring in about 25-30 min. or twice as fast as real time.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
gfgray

I had the original Phillips Tivo. Then later, I used WMC and a Linksys extender (a little sluggish). I looked far and wide to find an ok DVR that didn't cost as much as Tivo. But the Tivo with lifetime service is actually a great value vs Channel Master (very buggy) and the rest. And the Tivo Roamio and Premiere are better experiences than anything out there. Also, you will save money on your power bill since you won't have your PC on 24hrs a day.
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
jwbelcher

I love the Roamio box, but be aware of bugs exist and there are cablecard firmware issues. My advice is to hold on to the TivoHD w/ lifetime until all the bugs are worked out (maybe forever). In my opinion, the TivoHD is a the last near-"perfect" operating box. Stable, reliable, "mod"-able (though different forum for that). While getting TWP running back in 2008 was a lot cooler than 2013, it still has its charm My only grip with the TivoHD is an infrequent GC bug and occasional hard drive failure.

The TivoHD w/o lifetime doesn't have nearly as much resale value as the one with lifetime. However, I'm considering picking up a backup TivoHD just in case my current one ever bites the dust. I'd buy it for the $99 that you've got in it. PM me if you end up wanting to sell it.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post
b) What kind of money can I realistically get for that old TiVo HD w/lifetime?

I just got $176 on eBay for a 2008 TiVo HD w/ 160gb and Lifetime. Some are going for a bit more, $200 is not unusual.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote