TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
nyctwc

iOS Tivo App - Disk Percentage is Wrong

My Roamio Pro shows 59% disk usage, but on the iOS Tivo App, it shows 79%. I have had this problem since I bought my Roamio Pro over three months ago. There have been a few updates to the iOS Tivo App since that time, but they still haven't fixed this problem. How hard can it be to fix this minor bug? How long is it going to take?
nyctwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is a weird one because the percentage is right for Premiere units but wrong for Roamios. Considering they are running essentially the same software at this point I wonder what could even cause this?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
mrizzo80

Reporting 89% would make more sense (assuming the root cause is the iOS app not properly recognizing the 3TB drive in the Pro's since that is a brand new drive configuration for TiVo's). 79% seems more random...or maybe my theory is just completely wrong.

59% of a 3TB drive would be ~1.8TB. 1.8TB on a 2TB Plus drive would be ~89%.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

There was a thread about this somewhere and apparently all Roamios report the wrong percentage, even the 500GB Basic unit. So I don't think this is related to hard drive size. Although it could be related to whatever changes they made to the file system to make a 3TB drive possible. Maybe they had to switch to 64bit addressing or something and that screwed up the app display somehow.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
mrizzo80

My Plus seems to work right. 39% reported on the DVR, iPad, and iPhone.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe it is only the Pro then. I could have sworn someone else reported the same problem on a Basic, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
moyekj

My Pro is right - reported correctly in HDUI, iOS App & kmttg. But then again I never go beyond 15% capacity or so and don't enable suggestions so probably not a good reference point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine says 52% on the TiVo itself and 67% in the app.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Goober96

I may have been the first to post about this a while back. Mine Pro still reports different numbers on the TiVo and the iPad app.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
JohnnyO
Crimper

Interesting. The TiVo App on my iPad shows 22%, same as what I see on the Roamio UI. This is with a 2 GB drive.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
PLargent

Are TiVo Suggestions counted in disk space used?

My new Roamio Pro is showing 45% used disk space. I see a lot of "TiVo Suggestions" recordings in addition to the ones I have chosen to record. Do these "TiVo Suggestions" recordings get counted in the space used? I want to understand this so I know when I have to start worrying about running out of space in a few months.

Is there a tool or guidance on figuring out where my used space is being consumed?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
rsnaider

51% on my Pro and 67% on my app.

It has been wrong since day one and like above my Premieres all show the same number.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
moyekj

This morning I ran iPad app and it asked me to re-login and for MAK etc. Now the space available shown in App is incorrect: showing 10% vs the actual 7.5%

Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is a weird one because the percentage is right for Premiere units but wrong for Roamios. Considering they are running essentially the same software at this point I wonder what could even cause this?
This problem also affects the Premiere, but ONLY if an external drive is connected.

I have a theory. It appears that the iOS app does the math differently when multiple drives are involved. I believe the reason it's always wrong on the Roamio is that the Roamio's internal drive is treated as an external drive since the OS is now in flash. They should really just change the iOS app so that it just shows the same percentage that the TiVo displays without doing its own math. Whether the number is right or wrong, at least it will eliminate the discrepancy and confusion.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
This problem also affects the Premiere, but ONLY if an external drive is connected.

I have a theory. It appears that the iOS app does the math differently when multiple drives are involved. I believe the reason it's always wrong on the Roamio is that the Roamio's internal drive is treated as an external drive since the OS is now in flash. They should really just change the iOS app so that it just shows the same percentage that the TiVo displays without doing its own math. Whether the number is right or wrong, at least it will eliminate the discrepancy and confusion.
It's simpler than that. There's a "bodyConfigSearch" RPC call which returns "userDiskSize" and "userDiskUsed" numbers among other information, so getting a percentage from that is trivial. That's what I use with kmttg for Remote Info tab and it always matches what is displayed in HDUI, so not sure why the iOS App just doesn't use that.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
NYHeel

The app is almost consistently 33% higher than the what the device shows, give or take a little rounding. I have the issue on the Roamio Plus upgraded to 3TB. It's been that way since day 1.

I don't have suggestions and I don't believe it's deleted items because the ratio is fairly constant.

I can tell you that the app doesn't go above 100% though. I've been between 88% and 93% on the Tivo and the app just shows 100%.

You would think this is a really easy fix for Tivo but they haven't done it yet.

Last edited by NYHeel : 12-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
andyf

Shows the same on my iPad and my Romio Plus, 25%
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
JohnnyO
Crimper

Is this problem only happening when the Roamio has a disk larger than 2 GB?
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLargent View Post
My new Roamio Pro is showing 45% used disk space. I see a lot of "TiVo Suggestions" recordings in addition to the ones I have chosen to record. Do these "TiVo Suggestions" recordings get counted in the space used? I want to understand this so I know when I have to start worrying about running out of space in a few months.

Is there a tool or guidance on figuring out where my used space is being consumed?
No Suggestions are not counted toward the percentage. They are considered free space because they will always be deleted first to make room for user requested recordings.