TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
MACCTVO

Ads getting much more intrusive

I've noticed more and more ads and they are more and more intrusive. They occur larger than ever on the STOP bar (when pause, fast-forward, etc.), they are appearing now in "My Shows", and other places

It bothers me that I purchased my TIVO box and am paying a monthly subscription fee. I should not be inundated with ads for a service that I a paying for.

Does anyone agree with me?
MACCTVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

Agreed- i was just thinking we needed another thread on this.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCTVO View Post
I've noticed more and more ads and they are more and more intrusive. They occur larger than ever on the STOP bar (when pause, fast-forward, etc.), they are appearing now in "My Shows", and other places

It bothers me that I purchased my TIVO box and am paying a monthly subscription fee. I should not be inundated with ads for a service that I a paying for.

Does anyone agree with me?
The ads have always showed up in those places. This is nothing new. I'm glad we have another thread to discuss it in though.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I was just about to do the same, TYVM!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCTVO View Post
Look at it this way - if there were no ads, then your monthly subscription would be a lot more. I'd rather keep paying what I am and simply ignore those ads then to have to pay more a month not to have ads.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Look at it this way - if there were no ads, then your monthly subscription would be a lot more. I'd rather keep paying what I am and simply ignore those ads then to have to pay more a month not to have ads.
Ah yes, this old chestnut. And just how much money per subscriber do you think TiVo rakes in every month?

Let's do some quick elementary school math. TiVo has close to 4 million subscribers right now. So surely, if as you say, the service would be much more expensive they must be making like, at least $5 per subscriber per month on advertising revenue right? (Does 33% qualify as much more?) So that's like, $20 million a month. Or roughly $60 million per quarter.

TiVo made just over $81 million last QUARTER. <sarcasm>Obviously the only thing they're making money off of is advertising.</sarcasm>

Do you people who keep spouting this even stop to do some simple math?

Do you really think it's worth the money to piss their customer's off? I'm sure the advertising isn't a money making proposition today but rather something they ASPIRE to, at some point in the future, make significant money off of. And can you imagine what that will look like?

If given a choice I think almost all TiVo subscribers would pay the fraction of a dollar a month to be free of the ads.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
Ah yes, this old chestnut. And just how much money per subscriber do you think TiVo rakes in every month?

Let's do some quick elementary school math. TiVo has close to 4 million subscribers right now. So surely, if as you say, the service would be much more expensive they must be making like, at least $5 per subscriber per month on advertising revenue right? (Does 33% qualify as much more?) So that's like, $20 million a month. Or roughly $60 million per quarter.

TiVo made just over $81 million last QUARTER. <sarcasm>Obviously the only thing they're making money off of is advertising.</sarcasm>

Do you people who keep spouting this even stop to do some simple math?

Do you really think it's worth the money to piss their customer's off? I'm sure the advertising isn't a money making proposition today but rather something they ASPIRE to, at some point in the future, make significant money off of. And can you imagine what that will look like?

If given a choice I think almost all TiVo subscribers would pay the fraction of a dollar a month to be free of the ads.
Since you are talking simple math you listed what Tivo makes a month. Now tell how much are they spending for buildings, R&D, insurance and taxes, workers salaries. How much are they paying Tirbute to use the guild. The cost of the Tivo that they discount to buyers.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Ah, I was really hoping that all of the sarcasm was going to kill this thread. Clearly I was wrong.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
Their customer's WHAT?

But seriously, apparently plenty of people pay for Hulu Plus, and that has commercials.

I personally won't get Hulu Plus (beyond *possibly* for a free trial), BECAUSE of the commercials.

I have Tivo (and VCRs before that), I think *more* to avoid commercials than to timeshift. Even so, the Tivo's ads are about as unobtrusive as they can be, without not being there.

Actually, the top bar thing on the Premiere beyond bugs me FAR FAR more than any of the ads that the Tivo UI puts in my face. (yes, I know the top bar thing has ads sometimes too, and arguably EVERYTHING is an ad, even when it shows a TV show/movie.. but you get the difference I'm trying to make.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Oh yay, another thread about ads. Let's throw a party!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I bought a newspaper today. I paid money for it. Money! Paid! And it had ads! Outrage!

(Actually, I'm lying. I haven't bought a newspaper in years).
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
csell

There's not much in life now a days that doesn't have advertisements... You go to the movies and pay $13 bucks and you have to sit through a ton of advertisements. You spend $30 to go to a baseball game and you see advertisements everywhere... I'm completely fine with what Tivo is doing as it in no way takes away from my experience with it. As long as they don't start inserting commercials of their own into your shows that you can't fast forward,,,,
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

There should be as many threads as there are ads. Seems only fair, so that the irony of whining about the whining can thrive. Want them to ignore the ads? By golly, you could ignore the threads.

</troll mode>

BTW, Tivo's ad revenue is so small they don't even report it in their financials. The impact on our subs is virtually zilch.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Since you are talking simple math you listed what Tivo makes a month. Now tell how much are they spending for buildings, R&D, insurance and taxes, workers salaries. How much are they paying Tirbute to use the guild. The cost of the Tivo that they discount to buyers.
Just look at their financial statements. What they get from advertising is minimal and probably isn't even a factor in setting the monthly service fee.

My point is simply that people saying that TiVo is doing us a favor by having ads in the platform to subsidize the cost are wrong.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
BTW, Tivo's ad revenue is so small they don't even report it in their financials. The impact on our subs is virtually zilch.
Which begs the obvious question then - why are they pissing their service-paying customers off for so little in return?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Which begs the obvious question then - why are they pissing their service-paying customers off for so little in return?
Pissing us off?? Who wouldn't want an ad for a $1 paper towel coupon spamming a giant block of their TV screen incessantly and without rate limiting for months on end? They're looking out for us. Stain cleanup is an important public service announcement that never, ever, ends.

Yeah, I don't know. It's an untested, clueless Tivo act. If they did have a clue, they'd be deliberately annoying people at this point. Maybe they have a quota.

If they're going to spam a quarter of the TV screen, it should be limited and for something damn cool. A paper towel ad is certifiably ridiculous. They need to think higher of themselves and us. Whoring us and that much real estate out for literally pennies on the dollar is just reproachable.

And the ads aren't just beyond useless to my house at this point, it's blown back in their faces. We hate Carbonite now, and as hard as it is to "hate" a paper towel, Bounty isn't far behind.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
eht

I just became a Tivo user and dealer. I guess I'm going to have to target potential Tivo clients that keep their hard drives on their kitchen counter.
eht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
SullyND
W:29-16

I've always assumed the ads were more a proof of concept for their MSO ambitions.

Should we start an ad-complaint thread drinking game?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht View Post
I just became a Tivo user and dealer. I guess I'm going to have to target potential Tivo clients that keep their hard drives on their kitchen counter.

??????

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
I've always assumed the ads were more a proof of concept for their MSO ambitions.

Should we start an ad-complaint thread drinking game?
I htink most of us agree at this point that it's proof of concept for the MSO markets, we're just the test platform.

I think the drinking game will have us all passed out within a few posts, every ad thread is always exactly the same, it's as if each new poster wants to rehash the same discussion we just finished with in another thread, but not bother to go over to the other sub-forum and read it.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Me pay money!

Me no want ads!

Me no care about anyone else!

Me! me! me!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
... we're just the test platform....
Once upon a time, we were the customers.

Now we're just the product.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
cncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Me no care about anyone else!
Wow, not wanting to see ads in a service you pay a lot of money for is now selfish?? That is some strange logic.
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
mr.unnatural

No ads and no monthly fees with Windows Media Center.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Wow, not wanting to see ads in a service you pay a lot of money for is now selfish?? That is some strange logic.
You don't pay a lot of money for it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
scooby2

I'm not a fan of the ads either and believe Tivo should offer some kind of opt-out method (be it pay $X more for your subscription).

My question is why does the ad not go away if you sign up for it? I've signed up for the Bounty/Charmin/etc $1 coupons but the ads keep coming. I've contemplated signing up everytime the Ad shows to see if I can be a pain in the ass.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
You don't pay a lot of money for it.
$1600 over two years for a Roamio and two Minis. If that's not a lot of money to you please pay my bills.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #29
eht

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht View Post
Unitron reponded with ???? to my joke. Well, if you kept your drive on the kitchen counter, there is a good chance it will get wet (need paper towels), thus losing data (need Carbonite).
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #30
eht

FYI, for those of you that use universal remotes, you can make a macro for PAUSE that contains the pause command and the down arrow command so it will automatically remove the ad.

Does anyone know what triggers the ad on the pause command? Is it an is elapsed time trigger?