TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #151
morac
Cat God

Seems to be back up as the C133 error went away and service connections have gotten past the download stage.

All my apps are still missing. If they don't come back after the connection finishes, I'll try rebooting.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #152
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quick way to just reboot the HDUI and make it attempt it's own (real-time) connection is (from TiVo Central): Thumbs-Down, Thumbs-Up, Play, Play.

Managed to force a manual TiVo Service Connection, still C133 error, tried UI reboot sequence, and hard-reboot, still there.

I'm a tad concerned that people doing full/hard reboots might wind up with data corruption, especially if the indexing/GC is in a vulnerable state.

It's rare, but it DOES happen. Just like 3 page long threads on a day-long C133 error, which might double the chances, and then quadruple it for those frequently rebooting without letting the databases settle.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #153
zentsang

Oviedo, Florida here.

I also have the C133 error on all my Tivo Premiere 4 and Mini's. Did the usual reboots and still have the error. However, one of my Mini's has successfully made it through the Network Connection exercise under the Settings and shows successful. But when I back out to Tivo Central... I still have the C133 error.

The thing that puzzles me is why does Netflix and Hulu Plus route through Tivo Servers anyway? If the Tivo has internet access and the Tivo Servers go down ... you should still be able to use Netflix and Hulu Plus! WTF Tivo?
zentsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #154
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentsang View Post
Oviedo, Florida here.

I also have the C133 error on all my Tivo Premiere 4 and Mini's. Did the usual reboots and still have the error. However, one of my Mini's has successfully made it through the Network Connection exercise under the Settings and shows successful. But when I back out to Tivo Central... I still have the C133 error.

The thing that puzzles me is why does Netflix and Hulu Plus route through Tivo Servers anyway? If the Tivo has internet access and the Tivo Servers go down ... you should still be able to use Netflix and Hulu Plus! WTF Tivo?
It's a security measure to stop people from running unsubscribed TiVos and getting any use out of anything. TiVo HD, Series 3, and earlier could do this. The first software shipped on the Premiere allowed it if it NEVER made a connection, so they closed up that loophole hard and fast.

I think since a lifetime sub stays with the unit and not the user, they should be somewhat unlocked, and not subject to revocation of service that is PAID IN FULL. IMHO. I guess they are too scared to let anything ever be in that state, instead requiring constant internet to work, in fear it would lead to a TiVo unlock hack (which if TiVo does their usual level of work, and testing, it likely would). IMHO
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #155
Millionaire2K

I have this error on ALL 3 of my Tivo's.

RPro
R
And Prem
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #156
AdamNJ

ads still functional

I've got the error happening on my box too

Anyone else notice that the annoying popup ads and ad in tivo central still works? Funny ain't it?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #157
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I've got the error happening on my box too

Anyone else notice that the annoying popup ads and ad in tivo central still works? Funny ain't it?
Pretty sure everyone is getting the error. And the ads are downloaded to the box so it is not surprising they still work.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #158
tvmaster2

yes...ads are AOK...that is funny, isn't it?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #159
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Quick way to just reboot the HDUI and make it attempt it's own (real-time) connection is (from TiVo Central): Thumbs-Down, Thumbs-Up, Play, Play.
That's a neat trick, where did you learn that? It didn't help, but it's neat.

Like you I was able to get through a manual connection--the first failed during the download, the next two didn't even make it through the connection step, but the fourth time worked.

Some people said they weren't able to stop recordings in progress, but I can do that. I couldn't cancel an upcoming recording, but i could schedule a new recording, but then I couldn't cancel that one either. Odd behavior, that. TiVo-TiVo transfer seems to work fine.

I had a moment of panic (that's too strong a word) when I noticed it wasn't recording a couple of my Tuesday shows, then I realized they were repeats. Phew!

I've had several normally reliable sites misbehaving lately. I think all the IT people have been drafted to fix Obamacare.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #160
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Pretty sure everyone is getting the error. And the ads are downloaded to the box so it is not surprising they still work.
Plus they still generate revenue for TiVo for every single time somebody brings the subject up and everybody clicks all the ads to check if all of theirs work. All those ad clicks are saved and WILL BE uploaded once the service is back up.

We lose functionality, TiVo still makes money, and then some, just because every mention of the ads still working makes people itchy to check them!

In what world is THIS right? Oh yeah, in the world of those worried more about TiVo going out of business than anything else. I sure hope those folks are giving a standing ovation to TiVo right now!

Support TiVo, and keep them in business by clicking on ads instead of the things you can't use! Click faster!!!! Keep clicking!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #161
cwoody222

I called to complain around 9:30pm EST and the rep told me it'd be fixed in two hours.

Nope... Still not fixed.

Can't complain now since their customer care line is closed (because clearly they think its 1999 still).

Soooooooo bad. They're a joke after this.

They failed miserably with this problem.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #162
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Plus they still generate revenue for TiVo for every single time somebody brings the subject up and everybody clicks all the ads to check if all of theirs work. All those ad clicks are saved and WILL BE uploaded once the service is back up.

We lose functionality, TiVo still makes money, and then some, just because every mention of the ads still working makes people itchy to check them!

In what world is THIS right? Oh yeah, in the world of those worried more about TiVo going out of business than anything else. I sure hope those folks are giving a standing ovation to TiVo right now!

Support TiVo, and keep them in business by clicking on ads instead of the things you can't use! Click faster!!!! Keep clicking!!!!!!!
To be fair, the ads are saved and basically work like they have since the Series2 days. So it isn't like TiVo has spent more resources on ads on the Roamio platform. The issue is the HDUI is reliant on the server in many areas where there should at least be a fall back. It is not some elaborate scheme to spend more time on developing ads versus working on the UI. It is just bad HDUI design.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #163
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
That's a neat trick, where did you learn that? It didn't help, but it's neat.
TiVo early adopter days: Before I sent the **** back and gave it two years to get half-way done. It was a frequent flier on the Facebook TiVo page, as their solution for everything.

In this scenario, it helped keep your databases from being corrupted by rebooting the whole thing, when, if needed at all, you can just reboot the User Interface without missing/loosing/clipping recordings as another bonus.

Trick for those who missed it:Quick way to just reboot the HDUI and make it attempt it's own (real-time) connection is (from TiVo Central): Thumbs-Down, Thumbs-Up, Play, Play.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #164
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
To be fair, the ads are saved and basically work like they have since the Series2 days. So it isn't like TiVo has spent more resources on ads on the Roamio platform. The issue is the HDUI is reliant on the server in many areas where there should at least be a fall back. It is not some elaborate scheme to spend more time on developing ads versus working on the UI. It is just bad HDUI design.
I know all that, and wasn't making accusations in the way you say. I'm also not in disagreement with you, at all really.

It was good old fashioned sarcasm, to try and get people to quit checking if their ads actually all work, all the way through to the last click.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #165
consumedsoul

I'm still seeing the error, is this supposed to be globally resolved by now?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #166
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
I'm still seeing the error, is this supposed to be globally resolved by now?
Nope, the evening programs are on, so everybody quit posting every ten seconds and started watching TV (my best guess, since I still have C133 in Nevada).
Old 12-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #167
caughey

According to @TiVo 14 minutes ago:
Quote:
Thank you for flagging this for us. It is known and we’re working to address it now.
Also 2 and 3 hours ago.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #168
morac
Cat God

It started working on one box, but not the other (well it did briefly, but broke again).

It would be nice if TiVo put something on their web site about this. I think that's the first place regular people will check and currently it looks the same as it usually does.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #169
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
According to @TiVo 14 minutes ago: Also 2 and 3 hours ago.
TiVo's twitter account currently appears to be a bot. It's responding to all mentions with the same reply.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #170
questors

In Anaheim CA, I have had the C133 error all day and it's still there.
questors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #171
Beryl

Still happening in Centennial, CO.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #172
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Seems to be back up as the C133 error went away and service connections have gotten past the download stage. .
Maybe for you it did. It is 12:30am here and it is still down and displaying C133 (1.5 hours after your report that it is up for you).
Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #173
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
TiVo's twitter account currently appears to be a bot. It's responding to all mentions with the same reply.
Did you ever think it was anything else? Just Kidding, don't kill me. Oh, wait, that describes my phone conversations with CS, as well (that's actually some pretty scary truth).

I guess the TiVo server farms became self-aware, while the people slowly became androids. Makes sense now...

I might as well post I'm still down. The best I can get is a forced service connection every hour or two, the C133 still stands tall, never once going away the whole day (unless I wasn't looking and missed it).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #174
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine came back for a while and got enough data to record some stuff tonight, but not everything. Luckily my wife doesn't record anything on her XL4 on Tuesdays so I was able to get everything on her's.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #175
robertswinter

Same C133 Error all day….Half Moon Bay, CA

Same C133 Error all day….Half Moon Bay, CA
robertswinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #176
jwbelcher

Let's hope there wasn't a major database loss. Recovering all the guide data to allow services to resume could take a while. A few months ago Slingbox screwed up / corrupted their remote control database. It took several weeks for them to restore all of that.

If Tivo is going the way of services they better have more redundancy across the US. Having all subscribers hit one "mother-ship" server is a complete lack of planning and serious recipe for disaster. Minimally there should be a fail-over site; maybe they should start looking into AWS.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #177
moyekj

FYI while the Netflix access from My Shows is not accessible it does still work from "Find TV, Movies, & Videos". Watching Netflix right now without issues on my Roamio Pro with C133 errors still present.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #178
robertswinter

jwbelcher you are TOTALLY correct on the systems and procedures they should have in place…an all day outage is pretty unacceptable. And without even a post on their website. I sure hope they are reading this thread. Major operations and customer service screwup. Given the all day, as CEO I would make management changes.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #179
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertswinter View Post
jwbelcher you are TOTALLY correct on the systems and procedures they should have in place…an all day outage is pretty unacceptable. And without even a post on their website. I sure hope they are reading this thread. Major operations and customer service screwup. Given the all day, as CEO I would make management changes.
Honestly, this should make it to Engadget. A CEO will start applying the right "pressures" when issues like this one start to get visible coverage.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #180
robertswinter

Agreed … does someone know how to post to endadget and slashgear and others. It is newsworthy.