TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #121
Itproman

Tivo Twitter post about 40 minutes ago:

TiVo ‏@TiVo 37m

Some people may be experiencing a service issue at this time, but we are working on it now.
Tivo Premiere model #746320
Itproman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #122
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Down here, too.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #123
gpejsa

Down here near Baltimore MD as well. Thanks for all the posts. Not that having a C133 error is a joy, but if we are all in it, you would HOPE they will fix it quickly.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #124
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just connected fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #125
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Mine is also down with C133 in Hampton Roads/ Cox and has been for at least 30 min (that is as long as I have had the TV on now)

I would like to know why we are not allowed to delete a recording in progress during this error. That is just stupid. We should be able to play anything, delete anything, and schedule anything, regardless if TiVo's servers are not available for any reason.

I can understand if there are no program icons, or limited program data, or no complex [server-based] searching. But a DVR should not REQUIRE a live connection to TiVo Inc in order to do basic DVR functions.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #126
ignitor87

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Mine is also down with C133 in Hampton Roads/ Cox and has been for at least 30 min (that is as long as I have had the TV on now)

I would like to know why we are not allowed to delete a recording in progress during this error. That is just stupid. We should be able to play anything, delete anything, and schedule anything, regardless if TiVo's servers are not available for any reason.

I can understand if there are no program icons, or limited program data, or no complex [server-based] searching. But a DVR should not REQUIRE a live connection to TiVo Inc in order to do basic DVR functions.
I agree.
ignitor87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #127
hooper

I am sitting in front of a blue circle on my roamio. No response to any remote commands. Recordings in progress. Can't do anything
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #128
21364guy

C133 here as well (Maryland). This box is brand-new and I was trying to finish configuring it (moving season passes, transferring shows). I thought the box was messed up until I saw this thread
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #129
splatt

Having just upgraded from a Series 3 to Roamio I am very surprised and disappointed to see the dependence on Tivo servers for basic functionality.

This notion is an important piece of information for people making Tivo buying decisions especially given the relatively high frequency of outages.

The ability to create a Season Pass should not be dependent on server availability!

I love Tivo but I'm now very frustrated and questioning whether I should revert back to my Series 3. Explaining this new device behavior to my wife and kids is difficult. With the old Tivo everything just 'worked'.
splatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #130
MMaleto

Strange coincidence...

I have been thinking about canceling Tivo since Friday. Switched to OTA antenna for the weekend and decided I could live without it. Called Tivo around 5pm and asked to cancel. The rep mentioned a $99 deal but it was not for my Premier, had to be a system 3? Not sure if he really new what he was talking about but put me on hold and came back with his best offer to save the account. 2 months free to "think about it"....so I accepted, what the heck.

Went back to my TV and switched input back to Tivo and found the same problems y'all are talking about. before coming here, over 2 hours later and messing with unplugging this and that, forcing this and that....nothing worked.

I thought maybe it's an omen that I should have cancelled and Tivo not working correctly was a sign. ;-)

Sorry that everyone's having this problem, but glad it was not a sign and I am not alone.

1st problem I have ever had in the last few years.
MMaleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #131
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
C133 here as well (Maryland). This box is brand-new and I was trying to finish configuring it (moving season passes, transferring shows). I thought the box was messed up until I saw this thread
This type of problem is pretty rare. I think I have only seen it a few times in several years. So please don't think it is "normal" for TiVo's stuff. However, that still doesn't excuse the design flaw.

I ask everyone again why deleting an in-progress recording could possibly need to contact TiVo's servers!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #132
gpejsa

Just chatted with Tivo support....they acknowledge a server upgrade problem and hope to have things back to normal in a few hours...9:30 p.m. ET ...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #133
ldconfig

Quote:
This type of problem is pretty rare. I think I have only seen it a few times in several years. So please don't think it is "normal" for TiVo's stuff. However, that still doesn't excuse the design flaw.

I ask everyone again why deleting an in-progress recording could possibly need to contact TiVo's servers!!!!
Because gathering every detail of everything we do and selling it is big money.
ldconfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #134
21364guy

I'd been on the fence in terms of what to do with my TiVo HD now that I just bought the Roamio Plus. Our 2nd DVR today is a verizon fios one, which has actually been quite reliable. So I was either going to replace it with the TiVo HD or sell the TiVo HD and get a Mini. Now I'm much more likely to keep the TiVo HD box since it doesn't have this level of dependence on the TiVo servers. TiVo's reliability has always been one of the reasons I've used the boxes since 2000. I'm a bit disappointed now after spending nearly $800 on the new box and "service."
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #135
morac
Cat God

Same problem as everyone else. In addition, my Premiere lost all it's apps. There's nothing under the My Video Providers setting.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #136
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy View Post
I'd been on the fence in terms of what to do with my TiVo HD now that I just bought the Roamio Plus. Our 2nd DVR today is a verizon fios one, which has actually been quite reliable. So I was either going to replace it with the TiVo HD or sell the TiVo HD and get a Mini. Now I'm much more likely to keep the TiVo HD box since it doesn't have this level of dependence on the TiVo servers. TiVo's reliability has always been one of the reasons I've used the boxes since 2000. I'm a bit disappointed now after spending nearly $800 on the new box and "service."
You'd have to pry my TivoHD from my cold dead hands. I've even recently looked at picking up a 2nd as a backup should this one ever go TU.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #137
mrizzo80

Quote:

Maybe related to their analytics offering (Stop/Watch)? Maybe it needs to report these types of interactions (in real-time as opposed to batching them up with the normal daily calls) back to the mothership in order to create the datasets.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #138
donsullivan

Just discovered that in addition to the errors on the box, the IOS app doesn't work at all on my iPad. It was working fine earlier today. It generates and error that there was a problem connecting to the TiVo service and then shuts down.

Anyone know if there is a page on the TiVo website reporting status of problems like this when they are this widespread? I have been away from TiVo for about 8 years and kind of lost touch
donsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #139
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Maybe related to their analytics offering (Stop/Watch)? Maybe it needs to report these types of interactions (in real-time as opposed to batching them up with the normal daily calls) back to the mothership in order to create the datasets.
What to Watch Now. I bet they use realtime analytics to crowd-source what to watch.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #140
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Having this on a Premiere? Switch to SD Menus for less issues until resolved, & back

Having this on a Premiere?

How to switch to SDUI (TiVo with SD Menus) for less issues/irritation until resolved.

Quick Way: Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Pause, Pause

Long Way: Go to Main Menu : Setting & Messages : Settings : Displays : Chose TiVo Menus :TiVo with SD Menus

All your programs can still be watched in HD, the only things in SD are the menus.

You can navigate faster and get hung-up less.

Services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, etc. - still not likely to work.

For those with anger management issues, it beats having to see that error every time you are in a menu screen!

It's like having a TiVo HD, which many will be familiar with, and should be easy enough for those who aren't.

The only way back to HDUI is the long way through the menus to switch back to "TiVo with HD Menus" (HDUI).
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #141
marlond

Quote:
Originally Posted by netscott View Post
Yea but you can get paper towels cheap!
I literally laughed out loud! Service is down, ads still rolling.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #142
gothaggis

I rebooted my tivo before coming here to see what the issue is. Now I don't have any pay channels. So now I get to deal with comcast, ugh.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #143
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
I rebooted my tivo before coming here to see what the issue is. Now I don't have any pay channels. So now I get to deal with comcast, ugh.
Well that has nothing to do with the C133 error being discussed here. No way a TiVo service outage would cause that.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #144
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I'd reboot it again, and manually unplug the Tuning Adapter (if you have one) for at least 15 seconds after the reboot starts.

Tuning Adapters don't truly get reset by a TiVo reboot, the flashing light is just it saying "I've lost communication with the device (TiVo) to which I am attached, or am I?".

Sometime a reboot brings the cablecard up in a way that's incomplete, and a second one will bring it back.

Sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes to get all the premium tables read-in, if a complete re-read of them to the cablecard is necessary, because the card has to read in all the basics, then work it's way up to the premiums, which come last.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #145
morac
Cat God

I brought this up the last time this happened, but TiVo really should put something on their web site about this. TiVo did tweet about the problem, but not everyone uses Twitter.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #146
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Hopefully this will provoke some redesign to remove needless dependencies on remote servers.
Quote:
This is what irritates me the most. Having a network outage is going to happen. It's inevitable (although they should be infrequent, and short-lived). And really, most of us wouldn't even care, as long as it was resolved forthwith.

But to make core functions dependent on talking to the mothership is incredibly poor design, and even worse, arrogant. I've always been a defender of TiVo, but this is (IMHO) very close to the type of behavior that will drive me away. As much as I love TiVo, I don't want my recording functionality dependent on their largesse.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #147
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is what irritates me the most. Having a network outage is going to happen. It's inevitable (although they should be infrequent, and short-lived). And really, most of us wouldn't even care, as long as it was resolved forthwith.

But to make core functions dependent on talking to the mothership is incredibly poor design, and even worse, arrogant. I've always been a defender of TiVo, but this is (IMHO) very close to the type of behavior that will drive me away. As much as I love TiVo, I don't want my recording functionality dependent on their largesse.
At least there will always be this thread to reference, when TiVo worshippers and fanboys claim this NEVER happens, or it's ALWAYS on the user's end (it's YOUR network problem, it's YOUR router), or TiVo tells you it's NOT due to ANYTHING they are aware of, or.............never mind I stopped myself.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #148
gothaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Well that has nothing to do with the C133 error being discussed here. No way a TiVo service outage would cause that.
Yes, I'm saying I rebooted my tivo due to me thinking a reboot may solve the C133 error (before coming here and realizing it was a TiVo server issue), and after it rebooted (twice) I have no premium channels, so I'm having to involve comcrap. Have been on hold for 45 minutes so far. I probably need to find that comcast cable card phone number to make things go quickly.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #149
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Yes, I'm saying I rebooted my tivo due to me thinking a reboot may solve the C133 error (before coming here and realizing it was a TiVo server issue), and after it rebooted (twice) I have no premium channels, so I'm having to involve comcrap. Have been on hold for 45 minutes so far. I probably need to find that comcast cable card phone number to make things go quickly.
Did you read this post http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...45#post9918645 ?

Have you looked at the cablecard and (if relevant) Tuning Adapter diag screens? If you have ever looked at the status of the essential screens, there may be some helpful data there that might even stand out.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #150
rgr

Had I known that TiVo service would be down every 3 or so days and make using the Roamio unusable for many functions (for instance I can't "View Upcoming Episodes" or do a search) I would NOT have moved away from my series3.

TiVo needs to have relevant functions fall back to searching against the downloaded database and not be reliant on access to apparently unstable tivo servers.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote