TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
jgametest

Arrow Youtube Player Updated!

The next time you launch the Youtube player inside of Tivo you will notice a major enhancement. All your playlist have a triangle at the bottom and your subscriptions have mini icons. This will be noticeable once you authenticate your account at Google. More importantly this update provides instant search inside each video being played and it's a more smoother. To help with transitions of NEXT videos google installed a 5 sec visual buffer like it does in HotList aka: Launchpad.

Now we just wait patiently for Netflix to get it's GUI update.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
moose53

I don't like it. It switched over yesterday for me. Big surprise. I'd been having problems playing "some" Youtube videos ... kept crashing unless I was in high-def mode, then I got an error message -- V301.

To me the interface seems very non-intuitive. I was searching all over for my playlists. As for 'mini' anything ... useless ... can't see them.

Interestingly, today during all the server problems, I was going back and forth between the old version and the new version. Cannot play a certain video with the old version. No problems playing the video with the new version.

When this error V301 started a few days ago, I said to myself, "Self, they're getting ready to have server problems. This is just like when LDC was having server problems." I used to work for a company that didn't know that one particular server was crashed until a customer in Texas called once a month and told them. Needless to say, that's embarassing. They finally got failover servers. There's no excuse for hours of downtime with the equipment that's available nowadays.

I like that I can play my video now. But, I still don't like the interface.

Barb
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
smbaker

I tried to use the youtube app over the weekend. Apparently I was too stupid to figure out how to search with it using my slide remote. I tried to scroll down to the search box, but it took for-****ing-ever to scroll down the list of youtube stuff. After that something went wrong which I do not recall. I gave up on Tivo, as I so often to anymore, and just viewed the damn thing on the ipad.

Using the youtube app was arguably the worst experience I've had with my Premiere (which is saying a lot). I don't remember it being this bad before.

Has this been improved? or are my experiences with the new "improved" version?
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
jgametest

Important thing to note: Tivo is not in control of the Youtube app they just provide access to it from Google. Try An an alternative that is similar to what you use on your mobile devices so it plays normal using this little step.

From the "Showcases and Apps" all the way at the bottom
"Add a server" or "Add an app" with IP 212.1.209.140

This will add Enter Webz in server mode. This means the Apps group drives what specific links or groups show up as "apps" at the top level on your TiVo.

The default thumztaks give you a lot of top-level Apps. They use genres so in Series 4+ HD UIs, some Apps are in the music and photos section while other entries are in the apps section. Default icons are also based on genres.•music: Shoutcast Radio Stations
•music: Live Concerts at archive.org
•music: M​ore/ (last.fm, Audio Books, MP3tunes)​
•photos: Comics & LOLz/
•photos: Flickr
•videos: Feature Films at archive.org
•videos: YouTube mobile
•videos: ​More/ (Classic TV, Amazon download launch, late night lineups...)
•Facebook
•Twitter ​ -​ ​@​TiVo ​ (won't allow connection??)​
•Email, Finance, etc./ (Google mail / voice, Mapquest, E*Trade...)
•Sports & Weather/
•​Shopping/ (Amazon, Ebay...)
As a bonus, the server also has my Solitaire, Freecell, and Gene Wadleigh's Mahjongg.

THIS IS STILL A BETA - If you wander to random websites it WILL reboot your TiVo in all likelihood, but the default listed ones seem to work well. This problem won't change in the future, but I hope to put warnings and safeguards up.
Don't be surprised if it goes down or gets slow if this somehow becomes popular. If I find the need to upgrade the server, the IP Address WILL CHANGE.
And in general, there's still a lot to do to have this feel vaguely like quality.

Today's version includes image size and textarea bug fixes (necessary for e.g. Facebook and twitter status updates)

One problem: it looks like Twitter blocks my host - I'm guessing spammers must have set up shop there, too - so Twitter just times out and never connects. I'll try to contact them to make an exception for my IP, I guess.

Note the "Amazon download launch" mentioned above - that's the "Amazon: Your Video Library" page to initiate a push from an old Amazon video purchase to one of your TiVos... it's not pretty, but I believe it's functional.

EntertheWebz by David.Blackledge.com

Last edited by jgametest : 12-04-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
EntertheWebz by David.Blackledge.com
Since jgametest's new account can't post links yet, here's the link to the post he copied:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post9915522

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David.Blackledge.com Solitaire/FreeCell, Calendar, Map...
hmedev.wikidot.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
davidblackledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
jgametest

Youtube.com and Browser Dial overiding Tivo

I noticed something new yesterday, I was in the middle of watching Live TV and my son was on the android watching a Youtube video since TiVo is active it had the picture of the TV in the upper corner of youtube he launched a video and then hit the connection option and choose Vizio. It blinked in my Tivo and launched youtube and then starting playing his video over mine?

I knew the binding settings worked in the app, but I had no clue the app was that powerful to override what was watched.

Anyone else noticing this?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
I noticed something new yesterday, I was in the middle of watching Live TV and my son was on the android watching a Youtube video since TiVo is active it had the picture of the TV in the upper corner of youtube he launched a video and then hit the connection option and choose Vizio. It blinked in my Tivo and launched youtube and then starting playing his video over mine?

I knew the binding settings worked in the app, but I had no clue the app was that powerful to override what was watched.

Anyone else noticing this?
That's by design... it doesn't matter where you are in the TiVo interfave (Live TV, Setting, even the Netflix and Hulu apps). When you sling a video using DIAL, it launches on the TiVo.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Shanezam203

I've had such bad experience playing Youtube on the Tivo Premiere, is it any better on new Roku?
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Between the horrid "updated" interface, the sound that stutters and stops, the interface being as slow as the last one, the fact that you can't get to a channel's playlists, and that you can't go from a watched video in what to watch to your subscriptions, I gave up on it.

Suffice to say, the update is such a fail.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Between the horrid "updated" interface, the sound that stutters and stops, the interface being as slow as the last one, the fact that you can't get to a channel's playlists, and that you can't go from a watched video in what to watch to your subscriptions, I gave up on it.

Suffice to say, the update is such a fail.
What Tivo do you have? It's excellent on the Roamio.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Premiere, but I believe it's now the same HTML5 app on both.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote