TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
daisyrunr

Was hoping to get the Stream update for out of home streaming to see if maybe they might have snuck in an update to support MPEG4. I didn't get it on the first go round apparently so I can't try it out. I love my Tivo Stream but hate being restricted to local channels only.

Did anyone else with this problem get the newest Stream update yet?
daisyrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think someone in the Roamio forum tested it and said it still did not work with MPEG-4 channels. Since the version number is the same for standalone units I wouldn't expect it to work there either.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
shamilian

I just tested.
It tries and returns: "Problem Playing Recording"
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #34
daisyrunr

Well, thanks for checking. I'll just keep hoping for another update then.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
gamo62

Any updates on H.264 compatibility?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
moyekj

Nothing has changed - H.264 not functional. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that current Stream hardware cannot support it. For example, perhaps H.264 decoding is not possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #37
patrone

Does anyone have a full list of FIOS channels that have moved to MPEG4? I recently (black friday) invested in a Roamio and 2 Mini's. If it effects a significant amount of FIOS channels I may end up returning my units. Out of Home Streaming (and more importantly, downloading) was a big part of my upgrade justification. I'll be more than a little ticked if I can't stream/download anything but local channels.
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Its still only had handfull of channels in h.264 on FiOS. Although I don't gave a list of them right now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #39
Time_Lord

I believe is this is the same issue, on Verizon FiOS BioHD will not transfer/stream to an iPAD from a Roamio plus and even worse, it actually crashes the stream portion of the Roamio.

I called TiVo's support on this about a week or so ago and they ended up logging a bug. Oddly enough the non HD version of the Bio channel works fine with the Stream.

-TL
Time_Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Nothing has changed - H.264 not functional. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that current Stream hardware cannot support it. For example, perhaps H.264 decoding is not possible.
That would be very short sighted of them. Especially since the same hardware is in the Roamio units. There may not be much H.264 out there right now, but over the lifespan of a Roamio it's likely to become much more wide spread.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #41
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

its not a hardware limitation...

http://zenverge.com/pro-media-processors_zn200.html
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #42
daisyrunr

Anyone heard any news on updates on H.264 compatibility yet?

This is so frustrating. I use my iPad all the time while on my treadmill and its infuriating to see all the shows I have recorded that I can't watch and very few that I can (local channels only).

C'mon Tivo. Please address this issue! My stream is virtually useless.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #43
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrunr View Post
Anyone heard any news on updates on H.264 compatibility yet?

This is so frustrating. I use my iPad all the time while on my treadmill and its infuriating to see all the shows I have recorded that I can't watch and very few that I can (local channels only).

C'mon Tivo. Please address this issue! My stream is virtually useless.
You can use TTG and iTunes to get shows on to your iPad. Nowhere near as easy as using Stream of course, but certainly possible.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #44
gamo62

Here is the situation. The TiVo app converts content to H.264. Somehow, it doesn't know what to do with content that it already H.264. Ironic, eh?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #45
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That would be very short sighted of them. Especially since the same hardware is in the Roamio units. There may not be much H.264 out there right now, but over the lifespan of a Roamio it's likely to become much more wide spread.
So then this means that since the same hardware found in the Roamio is also what makes up the stand alone units, that one would think the stand alone units will be around for roughly the same lifecycle length as the Roamio?

Sorry if this post is "dredging up old topics", I'm just desperate to find out as much information as I can with my $129 investment. I wonder if the issue can be addressed in an update to the iOS app. Anyway since according to my Stream the last software update it received was version 19.1.6-01-6 build date Feb 18, 2014, has there been any change or improvement in anything?

Last edited by JWhites : 07-25-2014 at 09:38 PM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #46
BigJimOutlaw

h.264 support is in the pipeline. There's no known or hinted timetable, just that it's planned.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #47
BigJimOutlaw

September for that. (the clues suggest)

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
September for that. (the clues suggest)
You mean September 2016?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #49
JWhites

Let's hope this upcoming update fixes this because frankly I think it should work perfectly and make people happy like it was intended to. I hope MPEG4 channels are less compressed and leads to better picture quality which ultimately leads to a better overall experience for the user.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #50
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Rumor has it this will be a major update for both the IOS and Android apps. I am sure he main focus has been getting the android app up to speed - but I have a whole list of improvements I would like to see globally!

No real info, we will just have to wait and see...

September is just a few days away!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #51
JWhites

I'd love to see your list. I get the feeling that all this is gonna happen near the end of September unless Margret uses her immense influence to make it sooner.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #52
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Well, just off the top of my head!

- live streaming without recording
- remove proxy server
- LTE streaming
- Download in the background
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #53
JWhites

I think the LTE streaming thing was more of an issue caused by Apple then TiVo, something to do with HLS and low bitrate/bandwidth thingies.

How live streaming is currently handled I don't mind at all because when I'm done watching it I get prompted to delete the show automatically without me having to look for it and do it manually which is a welcome change on how it originally was.

I agree to get rid of the pain in the butt proxy server and give us better quality.

Download in background? Sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #54
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah, TiVo needs to improve the bitrate to get Apple approval - I actually think that is likely this next release.

As for setting up a recording - I would love to be able to channel surf and it would go a long way in making TiVo stream competitive with Slingbox.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #55
JWhites

Personally I don't understand the appeal to channel surf in 2014. It's so much faster and simpler to just browse the channel guide for the show you want to watch and watch it. I feel like I've mentioned this before but the whole concept of channel surfing was before the days of electronic program guides. With that said I agree it would be nice for those people to be able to do so, just as long as it doesn't negatively affect those who don't want to. I mean no offense to you bradley, the topic is just something that irks me.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #56
bradleys
It'll be fine....

No offense taken - I don't think traditional surfing would be a great experience on the mobile app anyway. But, it might be nice to quickly bounce between a couple of live shows - the current mechanism just seems a little wonky and disconnected to me.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #57
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

No MPEG4/H.264 support until 2015

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2921
"TiVo Stream: These devices are not yet compatible with MPEG4. TiVo Stream will not work with the upgraded Comcast channels until early 2015, when a Stream software update that provides compatibility with MPEG4 will be released."

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #58
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2921
"TiVo Stream: These devices are not yet compatible with MPEG4. TiVo Stream will not work with the upgraded Comcast channels until early 2015, when a Stream software update that provides compatibility with MPEG4 will be released."
Good find. I guess it took the biggest MSO to prompt TiVo to finally do something about it. "Peons" like Cox and smaller MSOs weren't enough. Very interesting that an all H.264 channel rollout is now starting with Comcast. May set a precedent for others.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #59
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Good find.
The actual credit on the find goes to Dave Zatz. He posted an article about 45 minutes before CoxInPHX posted here.

www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/tivo-cables-inevitable-mpeg4-transition/

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #60
puffdaddy

Curiously enough, I don't think the update will be an update to the stream software at all. I think it will be an update to the premiere/roamio software to enable them to HLS stream directly to (an updated version of the) iOS/Android (mobile) app.

Currently, the mobile apps "browse" a unit's programs and the stream only gets involved when the mobile app wants to view a video, at which point, the mobile app requests the desired video from the stream. The stream, in turn, fetches the video from the unit being browsed (using MRS), transcodes it, and feeds it to the mobile app.

All of that redirection was originally required because the premiere/roamio's lacked the cpu power (or the dedicated HW necessary) to real-time transcode their recorded MPEG2 TS videos into the H.264 that iOS can play back.

But the S4 (at launch) and S5's could and can record, store, and playback H.264 directly. So really all that's necessary (for such locally stored H.264 videos) is to extend the premiere/roamio software to support the remuxing and streaming to the mobile apps, at which point, the stream need not even enter the picture anymore.

It stands to reason that there originally wasn't enough H.264 to bother with the effort, but tivo has now been developing this ability (direct streaming) over the past six months or so, presumably, spurred along by a major MSO partner. Whether that will have it available early 2015 as speculated, it's anyone's guess.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote