TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #31
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Thanks WR. It was an old Season Pass on both TiVos. I presume this has to do with digital but can't get confirmation from anyone but you and me.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, I pulled out my OLED S3 and did some testing and think I can confirm that the CableCARDs are re-mapping the HD version of the channels to their lower-numbered analogs.

You can tell this in a few ways. I used 8 (NBC) and 1008 (NBCHD) for my test.
  • video quality on 8 is the same as 1008 (crystal clear); if this was analog the video would be more grainy
  • you can't use the Aspect button on the remote to change the aspect ratio between Panel, Zoom, and Full
  • recording a 1 hour show on channel 8 resulting in a 4gb file (definitely HD) and I was not prompted to select a recording quality
I suspect if you pulled the CableCARD out of your THD you'd see the old analog channels again (since the card wouldn't be present to do the channel re-mapping) but then you'd lose access to any digital tier channels you may watch (I did not attempt this).

So yeah, I would guess that at some point in July, Brighthouse shut down the old analog channels and started re-mapping their digital/HD analogs to those lower numbers which is why you saw your disk usage go up.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by windracer : 08-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
windracer
joined the 10k club

I did pull out my old S2 box and hooked it up and can confirm that the analog channels are still there (man, they look bad ... I'm too used to HD!). So it definitely seems to be the CableCARD that is re-mapping the HD channels to their lower-numbered analogs (no pun intended).

|
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #34
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Thanks WR! Very thorough! Somehow, I think I didn't see your follow up messages. In fact, I totally forgot I had started this thread until your link today! I thought it was all under the HD. (I had a lot on my plate).

Yes, the picture isn't quite as good as before. But it's tolerable. Again, for now. We'll see how long I keep the M-card out!

But your experience and mine show that they did NOT remove the analog channels--they're there, but made inaccessible via the M-card. Interesting stuff. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
windracer
joined the 10k club

Always glad to help.

You should be able to re-insert the M-Card at any time to get your other channels back. Since the CableCARD ID and Host ID (of the TiVo) remain the same, you shouldn't have to call Brighthouse to have it re-paired. If you think you'll never use it you could return it to BHN and save $2.95/mo ($35/yr) but I would recommend hanging onto it.

And yes, the analogs are still there (the M-Card is just remapping those channel numbers to their HD equivalents) but who knows how much longer they'll be around?

|
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
steve614
what ru lookin at?

One thing you might try if you still want to record the analog channels WITH the cable card still in...

Go in the channel list and remove all of the digital/HD equivalent channels, just leaving the analog channels to record from.

(Personal observation) Sounds odd...we're usually suggesting people remove the SD equivalents.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #37
windracer
joined the 10k club

That won't work ... the CableCARD is remapping the analog channels to their HD equivalents. So even if she removes the HD channels from her lineup, channel 8 is still going be showing the feed from 1008 due to the CableCARD.

|
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Using the "Clear Program Info & To Do List" won't remove your SPs or Thumb ratings.
I'm stuck in "Clear Information . . ." After 2 hours, I rebooted, and it seems stuck again. Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #39
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Using the "Clear Program Info & To Do List" won't remove your SPs or Thumb ratings.
I'm stuck in "Clear Information . . ." After 2 hours, I rebooted, and it seems stuck again. Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #40
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Let it try for a 4 hour stretch and be glad you didn't select "Clear and Delete Everything".

And perhaps have any cable cards, tuning adapters, internet/network, and antenna/cable connections not connected during the process so as not to distract it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #41
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

The Clear Information and Redo cleared 95% of my SPs, and all of my Wish Lists. I had copied everything except my Wish List (just didn't think of it).
Still no program guide despite repeated downloads.

Did a Kickstart Backdoor 57, and it kept _not_ finishing, so I had to reboot repeatedly. About the 3rd time, I just left in despair, and a couple hours later, I came back and it was completed.

I did another guided setup, and suddenly, the stations were back. Several Tivo Service downloads (kept saying it only had information to 5/31) and several hours later, all seems to be up-to-date.

Spent morning (up since 3am) trying to restore SPs from Tivo.com (boy does that site need work!)

All okay now and I can stop this obsessing and relax.

Thanks VERY much for sticking with me. I appreciate your input and hand-holding.

M
Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #42
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Hmmm...

Seems like yet another (possible) case of database corruption...

There seems to be a bit of that going around, and not just with one platform...

I'm having a hell of a time tracking suspected cases of it, due to most thinking it's just something that happened to them, they had bad luck, etc... Some think their TiVo or hard drive is failing, and go straight to image hunting, and hard drive shopping (without confirming the cause, or testing the drive).

Garbage in --> garbage out. I just don't know how to prove my suspicions that the TiVo Service is corrupting TiVos (the databases). Who gets hit, and why, is not known. I'm mostly trying to just keep my eyes peeled, and try to spot threads and posts that might be a case.

It's the "TiVo Service" that we all pay for, in order to keep our TiVos working. If it's poisoning TiVos, I don't see how anybody could be OK with it (if it is proven).
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #43
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

NooneIknow I switch out my M-Card so I can record in analog and store more on my 1TB Tivo. My choice. It has worked fine for a while, but this time, I decided it was time to switch back to using it.

I think Mr. TiVo got confused, and I thought it was probably something I did. I've never had a failure on the drive (although probably did in my first 4 TiVos!)

Thanks for writing!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #44
berkshires

I've posted about space disappearing under the Roamio and Premiere forums. It seems related to the iOS TiVo app (shows deleted via the app don't free up the space, although they disappear from the NP list)

It may have started recently after either a service update (TiVo software update) or with a new version of the iOS app, or both. I don't think it goes back many months.

In effect, the TiVo behaves exactly like it is 100% full at some lower usage level (currently 82% on a Premiere in my case.)

I've stopped deleting via the iOS app and have not had any further loss of space - holding steady at 82% limit. I'm reluctant to experiment further and get it below 82%.
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Berkshires, weird. Did you ever find a cure? I don't have any iOS app on my TV so all I can offer is sympathy!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #46
berkshires

Since I have ceased using the TiVo app on iOS devices to delete shows, there has been no further loss of space. I'd say there is a strong suspect in custody.

Now what do I do to get TiVo Inc. to fix this and get people's free space usable again?
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote