TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
rgr

Any way to turn off Discovery Bar?

The discovery is a major waste of screen space and the items I de-select in Settings keep showing up regardless of being checked or unchecked.

For instance I had everything deselected , except for programs in My Shows. So of course they showed up, but so did New On Demand items. AND the ever irritating ads (bad enough that there are ads in the TiVo Central list, but every screen on the unit doesn't have to get me to buy Charmin products)(someone should really explain to the marketing folks that pushing ads at every single opportunity is not a good way of leaving a good impression on the consuming public).

I can see that some may want to use the Discovery Bar as a reminder of what's available. But I don't, so I'm hoping there's some secret code or setting that will turn it off.

If not, this should definitely be something to add to the next update.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

You cant turn it off, and dont expect any ability to do so... Tivo thinks they're nifty... those extra advertising spots help pay for tivo executives bonuses
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
jwbelcher

I actually miss the way the discovery bar worked in the TivoHD Beta Search. Theme wise, very similar to Roamio, however, it was more real-time with suggestions. If you clicked on a program icon, it would explore that show and immediately change the discovery bar with other shows. You could jump adjacent programming / genres quickly and find many more shows to try out.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I actually miss the way the discovery bar worked in the TivoHD Beta Search. Theme wise, very similar to Roamio, however, it was more real-time with suggestions. If you clicked on a program icon, it would explore that show and immediately change the discovery bar with other shows. You could jump adjacent programming / genres quickly and find many more shows to try out.
They tried this initially, but the Premiere hardware was so slow they changed it in an effort to speed up the overall UI experience. They probably could go back to this now with the Roamio/Mini hardware but as of right now they're still sharing a code base with the Premiere so I doubt they will.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

The DB has definitely gotten better (remember when the squares weren't all a consistent size and the whole thing scrolled sluggishly?), but I, too, would prefer an option to hide it completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Obtrusive and annoying Discovery Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
The discovery is a major waste of screen space and the items I de-select in Settings keep showing up regardless of being checked or unchecked.

For instance I had everything deselected , except for programs in My Shows. So of course they showed up, but so did New On Demand items. AND the ever irritating ads (bad enough that there are ads in the TiVo Central list, but every screen on the unit doesn't have to get me to buy Charmin products)(someone should really explain to the marketing folks that pushing ads at every single opportunity is not a good way of leaving a good impression on the consuming public).

I can see that some may want to use the Discovery Bar as a reminder of what's available. But I don't, so I'm hoping there's some secret code or setting that will turn it off.

If not, this should definitely be something to add to the next update.
I just upgraded my home to a Roamio Pro & 3 Minis (soon selling mt reliable 2TB S3 and ridding myself of 3 VZ DVRs).

One thing I really dislike after being a TiVo user for 10 years is the Discovery Bar . I know wht I want to watch and it annoys the hell out of me.

Any known hack to disable it? Like TiVo Suggestions, it should be optional, especially since all 4 unita are Lifetime Subs.

Now I have to find a way to have the 30 Skip skip instead of doinf a really fast foward....

otherwise all great, and easy to install (MoCa)

Gman
Old 03-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
Now I have to find a way to have the 30 Skip skip instead of doinf a really fast foward....
See here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10024283

As for the Discovery Bar, you'll learn to just ignore it. People have complained about it since the Premiere came out.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

You have some slight controls on what it shows, but otherwise he is here to stay.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
See here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10024283

As for the Discovery Bar, you'll learn to just ignore it. People have complained about it since the Premiere came out.
the S P S 30 S (during a recorded playback) was the 1st thing I tried but the Roamio does not jump a true 30 sec, instead it does this super FF to 30 ahead. I'll have to retry

Real bummer for the Discovery Bar.... I take it TiVo get some kind of monetary renumeration for displaying ads and shows I don't care to see.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
the S P S 30 S (during a recorded playback) was the 1st thing I tried but the Roamio does not jump a true 30 sec, instead it does this super FF to 30 ahead. I'll have to retry
The SPS codes can be a pain to get the Tivo to recognize sometimes. It's best to enter it while watching a recorded program. If all else fails, the 3rd-party program "kmttg" has an option to send the 30 second skip code to the Tivo via the network connection with a high success rate.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
GmanTiVo
give me more options

got the SPS30S to work, maller remote /big fingers... had to do it 3 times to take
Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
ohboy710

agree, discovery bar is stupid
ohboy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

I like it. I've found a bunch of programs over the years from the Discovery Bar.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
andyf

Must admit, it's been useful a couple of times for me too.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
javabird

I kind of like it too.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
rgr

DB is one of those features some find useful. Since I don't, I was just wishing that I could turn it off. Not advocating eliminating it, just to make it optional.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
DB is one of those features some find useful. Since I don't, I was just wishing that I could turn it off. Not advocating eliminating it, just to make it optional.
+1

I'd like to always have the choice on what to use, display, etc and tailor anything I own to MY likes & dislikes.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
lorenw

The Discovery Bar has not shown anything of interest to me ever. I know what I want to record, and set things I choose. I would surely remove it if possible, along with the other stuff I never use.
lorenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
moonscape

I'd love the option to remove it, but at the very least, I wish it took up less real estate so the menu could be larger.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I'd love the option to remove it, but at the very least, I wish it took up less real estate so the menu could be larger.
Totally agree.
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
mattack

Especially since I unchecked most of the things in the prefs, it gives me stupid things like informercials sometimes!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote