TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #961
timckelley
TCFer

2 of my wife's 3 TiVos are S2's, which let you choose between 4 quality levels; each take a different amount of space per hour.

I think even on her TiVo Premier, she foolishly chooses the SD channels to record from, even when there are HD channels available. I'm pretty sure she does this to conserve on hard drive space, and she seems to not care about HD quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #962
unitron

Which came first? This thread or TCF?

Seriously, there can't be that many still-active (and by the OP yet) threads which have already had a tenth anniversary.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #963
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I would "ignore" this thread except it has officially acquired "antique" status.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #964
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Have you figured out how many hours of TV she has archived and how many days or years it would to take to watch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
No, I never did that calculation, but I could make a rough guess if something there could tell me how many bytes it takes to record an hour worth.
This calculation has nothing to do with bytes or amount of space used.
It is about the length of the shows.
Count up all the shows and take into account if they are 1/2 hour, 1 hour, etc.
Add up all those hours. I'd be curious to know the number.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #965
timckelley
TCFer

The bytes would be easier and quicker for me, because I have no idea what the average length of her shows is. (And she's fairly consistent on the quality setting she uses for recording.) I'm sure she's got anywhere from 30 minutes shows to 2 hours movies, but finding out the average could be difficult. I suppose I could count up and give a lower and upper range, but the range will probably be quite wide.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #966
Bigg

Quote:
2 of my wife's 3 TiVos are S2's, which let you choose between 4 quality levels; each take a different amount of space per hour.

I think even on her TiVo Premier, she foolishly chooses the SD channels to record from, even when there are HD channels available. I'm pretty sure she does this to conserve on hard drive space, and she seems to not care about HD quality.
Oh dear. That's pretty bad. Sounds like time for a Roamio Pro and Minis! What is she recording off of? A basted or serial controlled box?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #967
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think it's time to delete the Wife.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #968
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I think it's time to delete the Wife.
Nah, at this point he's got too much money tied up in her.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #969
Coffee

Quote:
The bytes would be easier and quicker for me, because I have no idea what the average length of her shows is. (And she's fairly consistent on the quality setting she uses for recording.) I'm sure she's got anywhere from 30 minutes shows to 2 hours movies, but finding out the average could be difficult. I suppose I could count up and give a lower and upper range, but the range will probably be quite wide.
A S2 measures recording space in SD hours. If you got a 1tb model, that would be 150 hours of HD, which is not far less than a thousand hours of SD.

Also, you could upgrade to anything newer than a S2 and be able to use a DVR expander, which adds 1tb to whatever is already there.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #970
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Also, you could upgrade to anything newer than a S2 and be able to use a DVR expander, which adds 1tb to whatever is already there.
Well it looks like the price has stayed the same since a year ago, in that I could buy a Synology NAS box + 2 x 3TB WD hard drives for a tad over $500 including tax and shipping. And since I've been using RAID 1 technology (which is mirroring of the drive, so if one drive goes bad, the other drive has a backup of it), I get 3TB use out of the set up. But I see I could actually buy a 4 bay Synology device and buy 4 x 3TB drives, and set them up with RAID 5 technology, which means 1 drive backs up the other 3, so again means I'm protected from data loss, but now I get 3/4 use of the space. So for a tad over $800 I could have 9TB use of the space. So for 60% more money, I basically could have triple as much space as what $500 could give me. If my wife ever uses up another 3TB, then it'd be a good investment to go ahead and spend $800 now and get this vast ocean of space.

I'm not sure if the 1 TB expander you mention would be as cheap per byte as going the NAS route would. But there is something to be said for the 1 TB expander: One of my wife's TiVos is a TiVo Premier, and unlike her 2 S2's, the Premier automatically copy protects a bunch (but not all) of her shows on it, preventing her from moving them to the NAS. I suspect that expander would give her some breathing room for dealing with that problem.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #971
unitron

Quote:
Well it looks like the price has stayed the same since a year ago, in that I could buy a Synology NAS box + 2 x 3TB WD hard drives for a tad over $500 including tax and shipping. And since I've been using RAID 1 technology (which is mirroring of the drive, so if one drive goes bad, the other drive has a backup of it), I get 3TB use out of the set up. But I see I could actually buy a 4 bay Synology device and buy 4 x 3TB drives, and set them up with RAID 5 technology, which means 1 drive backs up the other 3, so again means I'm protected from data loss, but now I get 3/4 use of the space. So for a tad over $800 I could have 9TB use of the space. So for 60% more money, I basically could have triple as much space as what $500 could give me. If my wife ever uses up another 3TB, then it'd be a good investment to go ahead and spend $800 now and get this vast ocean of space.

I'm not sure if the 1 TB expander you mention would be as cheap per byte as going the NAS route would. But there is something to be said for the 1 TB expander: One of my wife's TiVos is a TiVo Premier, and unlike her 2 S2's, the Premier automatically copy protects a bunch (but not all) of her shows on it, preventing her from moving them to the NAS. I suspect that expander would give her some breathing room for dealing with that problem.
I seem to recall reading that there was a problem using an external with anything bigger internally than the original drive.

Better to just replace the internal with a 2TB and not double the possible sources of failure.

newegg has the WD20EURS on sale through the 28th

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511576

Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #972
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, that's a great price; considerably lower than I've found. I'll check and see if it's compatible with Synology NAS's. It's true I could save a bunch of money and just upgrade her TiVo Premier, though there wouldn't be data protection like what RAID 5 would give me. Also I've already upgraded the Premier, but I can't remember how big a drive I put in it. I know it wasn't 3TB though. I could open it up and see. I guess I'll talk about the options with my wife.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #973
unitron

Quote:
Wow, that's a great price; considerably lower than I've found. I'll check and see if it's compatible with Synology NAS's. It's true I could save a bunch of money and just upgrade her TiVo Premier, though there wouldn't be data protection like what RAID 5 would give me. Also I've already upgraded the Premier, but I can't remember how big a drive I put in it. I know it wasn't 3TB though. I could open it up and see. I guess I'll talk about the options with my wife.
I'm talking about using that particular drive (along with comer's jmfs cd v1.04) to copy the Premeire's internal drive and expand, so that you've maxed out the Premiere's internal at 2TB and skip an external altogether.

I wouldn't think that the kind of drive suited to a NAS or RAID setup, because that's a different job from recording 24/7, where it's more important to get almost everything and keep going, instead of slowing down as much as necessary to get every last byte exactly correct.

You can live with one pixel that's blue instead of the green it was supposed to be for one 1/30th of a second out of a 2 hour movie.

A changed numeral in your financial records, not so much.

Never send racehorses and plowhorses to do each other's jobs.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #974
iaflyer

I have a Synology to store video and photos and love it. Very easy to setup and use. As to using RAID or not, I do use raid even though the stuff isn't essential. Sure, I don't want to lose the photos but I have them stored on DVD as a backup anyway.

The reason for the RAID is that it would take many hours to replicate the videos and photos on the hard drive that failed. With the low cost of hard drives these days, it's worth the dollars to pay for another HD to have a spinning backup. I used a pair of WD Red 2 TB hard drive for storage. At the time, it was $129 I believe, so if I consider my time at $20 an hour (lower than what I make but a decent price for my free time with the family) if it would takes long than 6 hours to replicate all that storage, I make out.
iaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #975
mattack

Quote:
I *purposely*, not foolishly, record on the SD channels, for disk space reasons. I "care" about HD quality, and in fact sometimes am watching the On Demand HD versions of shows.. But don't want to take up the Tivo's space. (I even offload SD shows to an external drive, and yes, I managed to kill one earlier this year.. that was all my fault.)

The *one* show I have started recording in HD because I watch it that night is The Amazing Race.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #976
Bigg

How do you stand watching crummy SD? Just get a bigger TiVo!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #977
timckelley
TCFer

Crisis in progress: it's Xmas season, the time when my wife goes to town with her To Do List, and one of her S2's just died. I just posted a thread to the help board here, and I'll see if it can be resurrected, but I'm not so sure it can be. She's not very happy at the moment.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #978
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Crisis in progress: it's Xmas season, the time when my wife goes to town with her To Do List, and one of her S2's just died. I just posted a thread to the help board here, and I'll see if it can be resurrected, but I'm not so sure it can be. She's not very happy at the moment.
Most likely just needs a new Hard Drive, but her recordings are probably gone for good… Better ask Santa for some more Hard Drives...She's probably going to want you back up all her recordings now.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #979
mattack

Depends on how bad you mean it died. If the drive shows up while connected to a computer, you MIGHT be able to "just" do the "copy and expand" steps to recover the contents.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #980
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Delete her stuff and blame it on a TiVo bug!

-=Tim=-
Im not even married and that will get me a divorce for sure!
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #981
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Any update?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #982
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

Any update?
The saga is in progress here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512172

Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #983
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #984
PalmTrees

Quote:
Is the wife actively angry with the machine for dying, or does she recognize that it's bound to happen over time?
PalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #985
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees View Post

Is the wife actively angry with the machine for dying, or does she recognize that it's bound to happen over time?
Or is she angry with Tim MC Kelley for devising an (inherently, somewhat unreliable) video archiving system for her to stockpile (and potentially lose) her recordings?

I hope this gets resolved. The plot (finally) thickens.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #986
timckelley
TCFer

Her stockpile is getting more reliable than it used to be, now that we have pyTiVo hooked our NAS that contains two hard drives (mirrored - I think it's called RAID 0). Plus I did go ahead and purchase a new bigger NAS and 4 hard drives to put in it in RAID 5 formation. They're on route as we speak, being shipped to my house.

I also, for $8.50 just purchased a MOCA POE filter from ebay, in hopes it will improve our home networking. The wifi is unreliable with pyTiVo, and I'm constantly restarting pyTiVo, and the MOCA is also unreliable anywhere that's not very close to the router. I'm hoping this $8.50 part will solve things.

But yes, the hard drives inside the TiVos themselves are not backed up and are at risk, and my wife really doesn't want to lose the data on them.

As for the broken TiVo, I've been waiting for over a day for a guy on Craiglist to answer my last email, but he just did. I'm scheduled to pick up his broken TiVo tomorrow morning (for free - he's giving it away!) on my way to work, and my plan is to harvest the power supply out it, as I think the his power supply is okay. I'm hoping that's what's wrong with my wife's TiVo (a bad power supply). The people on the help board are leaning that that's what's wrong with it, given my symptoms. So best case scenario is that by tomorrow evening, her TiVo is operational again, with no loss of her shows, except whatever her To Do List failed to record during her down time.

Worst case scenario is that the motherboard is bad, and my lifetime subscription is at risk. I guess a mid-case scenario is a bad hard drive. Hopefully I'll know more by tomorrow evening.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #987
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER

Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #988
timckelley
TCFer

As I just reported in the help thread: Success! I've repaired the TiVo, and the cost of repairs was unbeatable at $0.00. (Craiglist free TiVo with good power supply and bad hard drive + wife's TiVo with bad power supply and good hard drive = wife's repaired TiVo plus extra TiVo with bad hard drive and no power supply.)

Thanks are due to the folks at the Help forum.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #989
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER

Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #990
timckelley
TCFer

Well I discovered something funny. I finished putting the case together, and I was going to put the TiVo back on it's shelf (I had it on the floor to work on it), and I noticed all the wires were already correctly threaded in from the back of that shelf except the power cord.

So I got the bright idea of unplugging the UPS, but leaving the TiVo plugged into the UPS, and thread the UPS and the power cord with it, through that shelf so that I could get the TiVo back into position without having to power it off.

Well once I unplugged the UPS, the TiVo instantly powered down, which means the UPS is bad. I guess I'll be shopping for a new UPS.

Edit: while looking through UPS threads here, somebody suggested just replacing the battery. It turns out my model has a replacement battery available through Amazon with free shipping for $17.59. Probably a lot cheaper than new UPS's.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 12-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.