TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
hornmustang

comcast cable card firmware upgrade

Has anyone had any success getting Comcast to upgrade your cable card firmware? When I asked at my local Comcast store the lady hardly knew what a cable card is much less anything about the firmware. I am currently running firmware version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401. I would love to get upgraded to a firmware version that actually allows all 6 tuners to work. It is very frustrating being stuck between TiVo and Comcast.
hornmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornmustang View Post
Has anyone had any success getting Comcast to upgrade your cable card firmware?
I'd ask over on the Xfinity forum: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...bd-p/CTV_Equip
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
HDRyder9

I sent an email, made a couple calls and got the 1.5.3 firmware in about 3 days.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
grey ghost

I think Ryder is the exception, not the rule. He happens to live in one of the few areas who has had the upgrade.

There are lots of us who are battling to get the upgrade. At first, they were supposed to roll out the upgrade by Oct. Now it's the 1st qtr of 2014. No one seems to really know when it will happen including Comcast Corporate. It's been extremely frustrating
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I think Ryder is the exception, not the rule. He happens to live in one of the few areas who has had the upgrade.

There are lots of us who are battling to get the upgrade. At first, they were supposed to roll out the upgrade by Oct. Now it's the 1st qtr of 2014. No one seems to really know when it will happen including Comcast Corporate. It's been extremely frustrating
and that's only Florida and Memphis. What about the rest of us?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
and that's only Florida and Memphis. What about the rest of us?
Exactly
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
danterner
Not it!

You might want to ask DigitalDawn, over in the Palm Beach County thread, about what he did to get Comcast to push the latest firmware update, county-wide, well before the planned Q1 rollout. I believe it took a bit of persistence and complaining on his part, but it paid off for all of us last week- we are all on 1.5.3 1101 now.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9878644

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 11-26-2013 at 07:52 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

What is the benefit of the new firmware?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
What is the benefit of the new firmware?
You need the newer firmware if you want all 6 tuners to work.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I have a Moto cable card that all six tuners work so I guess you are talking about another type of cable card.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have a Moto cable card that all six tuners work so I guess you are talking about another type of cable card.
Yep. The problems are with Cisco cards and our system dictates that's the only card that we can use.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Heck, after the TiVo 20.3 update you need the new firmware if you want all 2 tuners to work in an original Premier.

Check out this thread over in the comcast forums:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1922885#M90580

One thing I noticed was that I finally submitted an FCC complaint and about 2 days after they rolled out the firmware in Palm Beach county I had someone from Comcast call me to check on the problem, so apparently FCC complaints get their attention :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
You might want to ask DigitalDawn, over in the Palm Beach County thread, about what he did to get Comcast to push the latest firmware update, county-wide, well before the planned Q1 rollout. I believe it took a bit of persistence and complaining on his part, but it paid off for all of us last week- we are all on 1.5.3 1101 now.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9878644
Our problem in Palm Beach County was vastly different than most cable card issues.

Suddenly, after November 5th, anyone with firmware lower than 1.5.2. 2401 experienced continuous unpairing of their cable cards. 2401 was also occasionally problematic. So, after all the service calls, nagging and begging from customers all over the County, Comcast figured that it would be a good idea to roll out 1.5.3 1101 earlier than planned for us.

If you can get friendly with a field supervisor and explain why you need the latest firmware, it really helps. In our case, my field supervisor was a great guy, and we were working together to try to figure out what was going wrong.

BTW, I'm a she. :-)
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Edvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I am in PBC as well and I got the corporate team involved by tweeting to comcastcares. I got fairly quick response and they got a "technical team" involved instead of just offering truck rolls that wouldn't solve the problem.
Edvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Our problem in Palm Beach County was vastly different than most cable card issues.

Suddenly, after November 5th, anyone with firmware lower than 1.5.2. 2401 experienced continuous unpairing of their cable cards. 2401 was also occasionally problematic. So, after all the service calls, nagging and begging from customers all over the County, Comcast figured that it would be a good idea to roll out 1.5.3 1101 earlier than planned for us.

If you can get friendly with a field supervisor and explain why you need the latest firmware, it really helps. In our case, my field supervisor was a great guy, and we were working together to try to figure out what was going wrong.

BTW, I'm a she. :-)
Oops - sorry for masculating you :-) and thanks again for your role in getting things resolved for us in PBC. My wife was just about ready to throw the Tivo out the window.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
DigitalDawn

My husband wasn't too pleased either. I think the last straw was when we lost ESPN right in the middle of an FSU game.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
tomhorsley

With the old comcast firmware, I developed a trick that got me back the picture 99% of the time: Go to the TiVo settings screen, go to the cable card screen from there, then pick test channels.

Almost all the time, I was able to test the channel that didn't work, see it come in crystal clear, then go back to normal viewing mode, and the TiVo could see the channel again.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
mchief
Morey

I have also used the test channels and had some success getting a dead channel to work. Not always, but 80%.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
bbbbb

I took my old comcast cablecard from Tivo HD and placed it in Roamio, it worked fine but couldn't get all 6 tuners.

I had a Motorola cablecard part num 514517-002-00 with firmware version 05.23 and fw* 06.25 E 06/06/12. The "2012" year made me think this card was too old and Google says "002" part number has issues with Roamio.

Long strong short, instead of asking Comcast for new firmware, I just went and exchanged my cablecard at local office, they gave me Motorola part num 514517-009-00 with firmware 03.31 / 03.35. It went it without a hitch and fixed my issues.
bbbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #20
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbb View Post
I took my old comcast cablecard from Tivo HD and placed it in Roamio, it worked fine but couldn't get all 6 tuners.

I had a Motorola cablecard part num 514517-002-00 with firmware version 05.23 and fw* 06.25 E 06/06/12. The "2012" year made me think this card was too old and Google says "002" part number has issues with Roamio.

Long strong short, instead of asking Comcast for new firmware, I just went and exchanged my cablecard at local office, they gave me Motorola part num 514517-009-00 with firmware 03.31 / 03.35. It went it without a hitch and fixed my issues.
Unfortunately that doesn't work for Cisco cards. You get newer cards with the same old firmware.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
joanzen

I'm one of the Palm Beach County FL folks who was able to get an upgrade to the new firmware. See thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9878644. Prior to 11/15, my Premiere, HD, and S3 had various firmware versions. I came back from vacation today (12/1) to find my Premiere, HD, and CC1 on my S3 all at PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101. Strangely, CC2 in my S3 was not updated, so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow about that. But it does appear that the many complaining voices in PBC did result in something positive.
joanzen is offline   Reply With Quote