TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2401
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UMK View Post
When I booted up the linux jmfs CD it's seeing the tivo drive (320) and the internal computer drive but not the other new WD20EZRX (2T).
It wants to use the internal computer drive as the target. Yikes!

My hardware setup is a HPG71 LT connected to a dual drive esata box with external power via USB. It's a Thermaltake; BlacX box.

Using disk management in Win7 it sees all 4 drives (internal, CD, tivo and 2T).
JMFS is not seeing the EZRX.

Is the ezrx not a viable upgrade drive?

What am I doing wrong?

My Tivo is a premiere with lifetime service.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pat
When booting from a cd-r that's designed to do stuff to hard drives, it's not the worst idea in the world to disconnect the hard drives to which you don't want anything done.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #2402
N2UMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When booting from a cd-r that's designed to do stuff to hard drives, it's not the worst idea in the world to disconnect the hard drives to which you don't want anything done.
Understand, however it's not easy to do with a laptop.
I also swapped drives in the dual drive with the same result.
It's odd to me that jmfs ap does not see the wd20ezrx drive in either port.

still interested in the forum's ideas.
Pat
N2UMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #2403
jmbach

When I had an issue like that, I used another USB drive adapter.
Another thing to try is to exit out of JMFS, insert each drive separately a minute apart and restart JMFS.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #2404
N2UMK

Thanks I will try that.
Does anyone know if the WD20EZRX drive is compatible with TIVO/jmfs?
Also it appears to have an issue when you disable the head park feature (not mine specifically - this model drive in general).
Does anyone know about this?

Pat
Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #2405
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UMK View Post
Thanks I will try that.
Does anyone know if the WD20EZRX drive is compatible with TIVO/jmfs?
Also it appears to have an issue when you disable the head park feature (not mine specifically - this model drive in general).
Does anyone know about this?

Pat
They work fine, in both respects, as well as working very well.

Only issue is that you can not adjust the drive acoustic management setting.

They can be rather noisy when they are hard at work, from my experience.

Some say they are quiet. I'm never close enough to care, when watching TV. I actually turn AAM off, on drives that allow adjustment, because it provides a small amount of added seeking performance (even according to the drive's full specification documentation). But, I doubt it matters in a TiVo. I like to be able to put my ear up close to my TiVos and hear just how busy the drives are.

If anybody has found a way to adjust the acoustics, or has found an EZRX with firmware that allows it, now would be a good time to speak up.

I have a suspicion the chip that would normally exist for AAM, is not present on these drives.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #2406
N2UMK

nooneuknow -
Appreciate the info.
Waiting for an opportunity to pull the 320 from the premiere (again) and try jmfs again.
This site is helpful; glad tivo-ites are willing to help.
Thanks.

Pat
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2407
lukinsj

I have a TCD746320 that has the GSOD. It appears the Hard Drive is dead. I am running out to get a new 1TB WD Green drive. Could you please send me the PM to re-image my drive?

Thanks in advance
lukinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #2408
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukinsj View Post
I have a TCD746320 that has the GSOD. It appears the Hard Drive is dead. I am running out to get a new 1TB WD Green drive. Could you please send me the PM to re-image my drive?

Thanks in advance
For that 1TB drive you're going to pay a very large fraction of the cost of a 2TB drive.

Hint, hint.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #2409
lukinsj

Quote:
For that 1TB drive you're going to pay a very large fraction of the cost of a 2TB drive.

Hint, hint.
I know, but it's all that was in stock near me. At least it was on sale, so I didn't feel like I was getting totally screwed.
lukinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #2410
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukinsj View Post

Thanks in advance
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #2411
rich14au

I have a TCD746320 that is stuck on the initial "Welcome! Starting up..." screen. I think the HDD is the problem because I am able to swap out the drive with the HDD in my other Premiere and it boots up normally. Likewise, putting the dead drive into the other Premiere results in the same problem, it stays on the "Welcome" screen. The weird thing is that I can hookup the dead drive to my PC and run SpinRite on it. SpinRite did find and recover a handful of bad sectors but that means the drive is not really dead. After running SpinRite and putting it back into the Premiere, it still won't boot. Perhaps too much of the drive has been corrupted?

So my question is, can I still use this drive with the JMFS utility to copy to a brand new 2TB HDD or will the corruption just copy over to the new HDD? And if copying the bad HDD is not recommended, could I make a copy of my good Premiere HDD to use in the other Premiere. I understand that I'd be losing the shows on the bad HDD but would it even work to copy a HDD from different Premiere box?

Last edited by rich14au : 12-16-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added further clarification and questions.
rich14au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #2412
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich14au View Post
I have a TCD746320 that is stuck on the initial "Welcome! Starting up..." screen. I think the HDD is the problem because I am able to swap out the drive with the HDD in my other Premiere and it boots up normally. Likewise, putting the dead drive into the other Premiere results in the same problem, it stays on the "Welcome" screen. The weird thing is that I can hookup the dead drive to my PC and run SpinRite on it. SpinRite did find and recover a handful of bad sectors but that means the drive is not really dead. After running SpinRite and putting it back into the Premiere, it still won't boot. Perhaps too much of the drive has been corrupted?

So my question is, can I still use this drive with the JMFS utility to copy to a brand new 2TB HDD or will the corruption just copy over to the new HDD? And if copying the bad HDD is not recommended, could I make a copy of my good Premiere HDD to use in the other Premiere. I understand that I'd be losing the shows on the bad HDD but would it even work to copy a HDD from different Premiere box?
You can try try copying the supposedly screwed up drive to something at least as big with jmfs and see if it works or not.

If it doesn't, you can copy your other known good Premiere drive to that 2TB, and then do a Clear & Delete Everything to get it to sync up with the change in TiVo Service Number, just the same as owners of older TiVos.

This will leave the "problem" drive unwritten to in case there's any hope in the future of saving the shows on it.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #2413
rich14au

Dead hard drive upgraded

Quote:
You can try try copying the supposedly screwed up drive to something at least as big with jmfs and see if it works or not.

If it doesn't, you can copy your other known good Premiere drive to that 2TB, and then do a Clear & Delete Everything to get it to sync up with the change in TiVo Service Number, just the same as owners of older TiVos.

This will leave the "problem" drive unwritten to in case there's any hope in the future of saving the shows on it.
Last night I got my "dead" 320GB HDD to upgrade onto a new 2TB HDD. The JMFS copy encountered 1 error along the way and had to retry some sectors before it reported the copy was successful. I then expanded and suspersized the new HDD. Both operations reported success. So then I installed the new HDD in my TiVo Premiere and powered it up. After a couple of minutes the "Welcome" screen went away and it was replaced by a "Installing Update. This may take a few minutes" screen. After about 10 minutes or so the TiVo was back up and running. Yes! I went to the System Info to confirm my additional storage and it reported the expected 318 hours of HD. What I also noticed was that the software version was at 20.3.8. I guess it was the 20.3.8 update that failed and caused the original HDD to get into an un-bootable state. Thankfully the JMFS tools was able to work around this problem and I'm all set now. Thanks for the help.
rich14au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #2414
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich14au View Post
Last night I got my "dead" 320GB HDD to upgrade onto a new 2TB HDD. The JMFS copy encountered 1 error along the way and had to retry some sectors before it reported the copy was successful. I then expanded and suspersized the new HDD. Both operations reported success. So then I installed the new HDD in my TiVo Premiere and powered it up. After a couple of minutes the "Welcome" screen went away and it was replaced by a "Installing Update. This may take a few minutes" screen. After about 10 minutes or so the TiVo was back up and running. Yes! I went to the System Info to confirm my additional storage and it reported the expected 318 hours of HD. What I also noticed was that the software version was at 20.3.8. I guess it was the 20.3.8 update that failed and caused the original HDD to get into an un-bootable state. Thankfully the JMFS tools was able to work around this problem and I'm all set now. Thanks for the help.
All mad props to comer for jmfs and all that, but to be perfectly nitpicky about it, it was Antonio Diaz Diaz's

ddrescue

(which is what comer included in jmfs to handle the copying part)

more properly referred to as Gnu ddrescue, which worked around your problem.

Of course comer gets full credit for the part that did the expanding, which the older MFS Tools/MFS Live and WinMFS couldn't handle on S4s because of changes TiVo made.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #2415
jmbach

With a little help from ggeiseke finally figured out why JMFS does not work on the OLED S3s. They use a 32bit MFS layout and JMFS looks for a 64bit MFS layout that is found in the 65x series S3s and newer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #2416
jetcobra

THD with Welcome Powering Up screen

I have a THD that I got in 2009 - I used winmfs to upgrade the unit with a 1 TB drive at that time. Last night I got the Welcome! Powering Up screen forever so I figured it may be the HDD, so I replaced it with the original 160 GB drive and it worked. So I would like to put another upgrade drive in it but would like to use 2 TB this time.

From this thread I gather that Comer's jmfs rev 104 would work for that purpose. It that correct? Also, is there any chance I could use the failed drive to to the upgrade such as rich14au did above? Or should I use the 160 GB original drive to do so? But if I do this I will not have the latest TIVO software, correct? I really don't care about recordings on the failed drive.

I would like to order a WD AV-GP 2 TB drive today to get here for the weekend if possible so any inputs or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

"Life is tough; it gets tougher if you're STUPID" John Wayne
jetcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #2417
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcobra View Post
I have a THD that I got in 2009 - I used winmfs to upgrade the unit with a 1 TB drive at that time. Last night I got the Welcome! Powering Up screen forever so I figured it may be the HDD, so I replaced it with the original 160 GB drive and it worked. So I would like to put another upgrade drive in it but would like to use 2 TB this time.

From this thread I gather that Comer's jmfs rev 104 would work for that purpose. It that correct? Also, is there any chance I could use the failed drive to to the upgrade such as rich14au did above? Or should I use the 160 GB original drive to do so? But if I do this I will not have the latest TIVO software, correct? I really don't care about recordings on the failed drive.

I would like to order a WD AV-GP 2 TB drive today to get here for the weekend if possible so any inputs or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
I'm going to overstep my (non-existant) authority and suggest that any answers to jetcobra's post be placed in this S3 forum thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=513592

instead of here, so as to keep it all corralled.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #2418
oneill25

cant get the file to boot corectly

I downloaded the file and burnt it to a disc. When I put in computer to boot from it, it doesn't work correctly. My computer starts and it goes to blank screen where stuff comes up like it is booting from disc, it is a couple lines with a lot of dots "........" after it, then another line of words and more dots, then comp reboots and same thing happens again. Maybe I did something wrong when making the disc, but I made a second disc and it does the same.

What am I doing wrong, or will it just not work for me? I really hope I can get it working, I have a Premier XL, and my hard drive is going bad, and I really dont want to have to loose everything and buy a new TiVo.

So please anyone, know how to get it working??
oneill25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #2419
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill25 View Post
I downloaded the file and burnt it to a disc. When I put in computer to boot from it, it doesn't work correctly. My computer starts and it goes to blank screen where stuff comes up like it is booting from disc, it is a couple lines with a lot of dots "........" after it, then another line of words and more dots, then comp reboots and same thing happens again. Maybe I did something wrong when making the disc, but I made a second disc and it does the same.

What am I doing wrong, or will it just not work for me? I really hope I can get it working, I have a Premier XL, and my hard drive is going bad, and I really dont want to have to loose everything and buy a new TiVo.

So please anyone, know how to get it working??
What file did you download and how did you burn it to disk?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #2420
oneill25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
What file did you download and how did you burn it to disk?

I downloaded the "jmfs-rev104.iso.zip". And used the burn image option on my comp. I have a windows 8 comp that I made disc with, and I right clicked on it and said burn image. I also tried making a copy with "DVD decrypter" set in the mode to burn iso files to disc.

Oh and I of course unzipped/ extracted it first, then tried the methods above to burn the iso.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #2421
jmbach

What kind of computer do you have. Make and model.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #2422
oneill25

the computer I made the disc with is an Asus laptop with with windows 8.1 on it, model not sure.....

the comp I am trying to use the disc with, to copy hard drive, is a custom built desktop.... it has an asus motherboard, um.... with it being custom built not sure what info would be helpful
Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #2423
jmbach

Might try to download the iso again and burn that to a cd. Does the current disc boot in any computer you have?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #2424
oneill25

the only comp i have tried to boot it on is my desktop... my only other comp is my laptop, havent tried to boot on it, as I have no way to hook the harddrives up, so my if it boots on it, it wont help

and it does boot (sorta) on the desktop. It bots and a few lines of text appear and a lot of periods "........", followed by another line of text and periods "........" then says "Ready" and then comp reboots, and it goes through same process again.

I could try and downloading the same file again, but before I waste another disc I would like to see what else might be the issue. I have tried installing the same version I already downloaded a couple of different ways. One was on a CD, the other 2 were on DVDs, as the first one I did was on the only blank CD I had. I have lots of blank DVDs, but dont wont to keep using them and getting nowhere.

I have even updated the BIOS on my desktop to see if it would help.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #2425
unitron

Sounds like you might have gotten a corrupted download.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago on the UBCD .iso

The resulting cd-r would sort of try to boot up.

See if comer supplies one of those checksum things for that file and then look for deccheck or one of the other free checksum verifier programs and make sure your next jmfs download matches up.

Pick up a pack of halfway decent cd-r's, so you can make yourself a copy of the UBCD as well, it's handy to have, if for no other reason than the manufacturer's diagnostic software to run the long test on the new drive you want to put in the TiVo before you put it into service.

I don't know enough to know if burning cd .iso's, even "as an image", to a DVD blank works out or not when you want something bootable, but I do know that it works if you use a cd-r blank.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #2426
oneill25

i'll try that I guess..... i have no idea what a checksum is tho...... I also just tried puting the iso on a flash drive and booting from it..... I did not make it a bootable copy, just a iso on the flash drive and told my comp to boot from it, and I got the same result, where it acts like it boots, says ready, then reboots the comp.... and the version on the flash drive, i redownloaded to try with a different copy, but still downloaded same way

I even tried to download the older version, 68 or whatever, put it on a disc and it tried to boot, then said failed to boot
Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #2427
oneill25

well I just tried to PM comer to see his thoughts and I was told I cant PM anyone but a select few until I have at least 10 post, now that is just stupid, but looks like this one issue may get me there soon. So for now unless he gets on and reads these posts and comments, he will be of no help.

So anyone else have anything I can try?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #2428
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill25 View Post
well I just tried to PM comer to see his thoughts and I was told I cant PM anyone but a select few until I have at least 10 post, now that is just stupid, but looks like this one issue may get me there soon. So for now unless he gets on and reads these posts and comments, he will be of no help.

So anyone else have anything I can try?
I guess someone could send you a already made bootable CD.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #2429
oneill25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I guess someone could send you a already made bootable CD.

well I guess they could, but now in all my trials, I have somehow managed to break my desktop

It wont even power on now, so looks like i might just have to forget about my shows and season passes etc.... and just buy a new TiVo altogether ...... Not What I wanted to do, looks like I bought a 2 TB hard drive for no reason, just flushing more money down the drain

I really hope I can fix it, I dont want this to have to cost me another $150 as well for a new motherboard for the desktop too
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #2430
jmbach

Why can you not use your laptop?