TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
trad444

Extended Warranty

What's everyone buying, Is the tivo extended warranty the best way to go? I just got the entry level roamio with lifetime. So I would like to make my investment worth while.
trad444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Where did you buy it? Best buy's warranty is transferable. On the lower-priced units, its cheaper than Tivo's warranty. There is a crossover point where the Tivo extended warrantee is cheaper.

I knew something newer was going to be coming down the pipe, so I didn't get warranties on my XL4 and 2 tuner premier. The Mini I knew I was going to lifetime (and use a long time) and so was all over getting the Best Buy warranty.... even with it being a simpler device, more bullet-proof, for $20 for 1+4 years coverage for a device that was ~$250 was worth it to me.

When I pick up a Roamio I'm sure I'll invest in the coverage, since I'll be using it a long time.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you're buying lifetime it's worth it. TiVo will transfer lifetime to a uniit replaced under warranty, they will not transfer lifetime for any other reason without at least charging you $200, if you can even get them to offer you that deal. With lifetime costing $400-500 it's worth $40 for 3 years.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
trad444

I bought it from amazon but I'm sure their extended warranty doesn't cover the cost of service, correct? So my best option is probably the tivo one then?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo will transfer lifetime service if a unit is replaced by a 3rd party warranty, you just have to provide them paperwork proving it was replaced by a warranty.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Yes. We've already had three tivo premieres die within 8-10 months. Well, well worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
trad444

Great thanks Dan do you know if the charge a fee to transfer lifetime when covered under a 3rd party warranty?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. As long as you can prove it was replaced under extended warranty they'll do the transfer.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Coffee

I think that the TiVo warranties are only up to 3 years. If you RMA a lifetime unit in under 3 years, the lifetime is transferred at no cost. You just pay the hardware replacement cost (which is the part that's covered in their 3-year warranty).

I understand that BestBuy offers warranties that are longer than 3 years. I don't know what will happen in that case.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I understand that BestBuy offers warranties that are longer than 3 years. I don't know what will happen in that case.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20

Quote:
Product Lifetime Service is valid only for the life of the TiVo DVR for which it was originally purchased and can be transferred to another DVR only in one of the following situations:
  • You activated the TiVo DVR with Product Lifetime Service less than 30 days ago.
  • The TiVo DVR was exchanged under warranty, either through the retailer or the manufacturer. (Proof of this exchange will be required).
  • The TiVo DVR was activated under an incorrect service number.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
eric102

The 4 year Best Buy warranty on the base Ramo is $35, for me its worth the peace of mind.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
jcaudle

I have never understood why Tivo has such a crappy warranty compared to most consumer Electronics 1 year parts and labor. The Tivo warranty will only replace the box one time with probably a refurb box. One time I replaced a defective Tivo it took me 3 boxes to get one that worked properly, and they surely didn't want to send the 3rd one.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

After the TiVo is replaced under warranty the new box has the normal 90 day warranty, so if there is anything wrong with the replacement you'll be able to exchange it. Also you have the option of buying an extended warranty for the replacement as well. So you can restart the clock on the replacement and keep your lifetime service going if anything ever goes wrong with it.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
unitron

If a warranty for a certain period of time evaporates before the end of that period because it had to be honored, then it wasn't really a warranty, it was a wager.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
PalmTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
I have never understood why Tivo has such a crappy warranty compared to most consumer Electronics 1 year parts and labor. The Tivo warranty will only replace the box one time with probably a refurb box. One time I replaced a defective Tivo it took me 3 boxes to get one that worked properly, and they surely didn't want to send the 3rd one.
At a minimum, you should use a 'gold' or 'platinum' credit card for your purchase that doubles your warranty. With most of those credit cards, just make sure to hold on to all your documentation, and if anything goes wrong between months 13 and 24, visa/mastercard/amex will pay for the cost of repairs.
PalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote