Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #331
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverita View Post
Advice needed -
For my Philips Series 1 Tivo, I used DVRBARS to copy my PATA 120GB Maxtor drive that I bought from Weaknees and tried to restore it to a PATA 160GB drive Maxtor drive that formerly was used as a Windows XP drive. I used Full Backup and Full Restore.After the copy seemed to have worked OK, I put it in the Tivo but it did not get past the initial screen "Your Recorder is starting up....".

Since that didn't work I zeroed out the drive that I was copying to using Active@ KillDisk. Again I tried a Full Restore with the same results - "Your Recorder is starting up...", but the boot up process goes no further.

Is there something I need to do to the drive I am copying to before I do the Full Restore.

Thanks in advance.
Did you check the jumpers on the new drive before putting it in the TiVo? It's probably set for cable select, but on a Series 1 you have to specifically jumper it for master (or slave in a two drive setup).
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #332
tvmaster2

replacement drive woes

hi - just got my replacement WD10EURX in the mail, so off we go

found my Truncated backup, loaded up DVRbars, and restored the drive. Went quickly with no errors.

next - expand and supersize....or NOT

loaded my bootable JMFS disc and ran the Expand procedure, but got this:
"Expand did not finish successfully"

tried it again - fail.

any idea why this would be? I seem to recall that I expanded and supersized my last drive BEFORE writing the Truncated Backup.

Oh, wait a second....is EXPANDING only viable on 2 TB drives? This is a 1TB drive

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 09-16-2013 at 05:53 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #333
jmbach

Boot the drive in the TiVo and see what recording time you have. If the original drive was 1TB when you ran the truncated back up, then the restore should be 1TB. There should be nothing to expand. Run (I think it's called) mfslayout on the JMFS disk to see the capacity and partition structure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #334
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Boot the drive in the TiVo and see what recording time you have. If the original drive was 1TB when you ran the truncated back up, then the restore should be 1TB. There should be nothing to expand. Run (I think it's called) mfsinfo on the JMFS disk to see the capacity and partition structure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
yes, it was a 1TB WD drive that the backup was made on, and it had already been expanded and supersized. IF there's nothing to "expand", is there anything to supersize?

recordable space reported by Tivo: 927.37G
approximately 143 HD hours
those are the readings in JFMS after the expand fail

something tells me I can get another 15 hours somehow, if I remember reading earlier threads. Is that done with WMFS (supersizing)?

OK - Update: hooked the drive up to the Tivo, and it's reading 157 HD hours, so I guess I'm good to go, right?

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 09-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #335
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
yes, it was a 1TB WD drive that the backup was made on, and it had already been expanded and supersized. IF there's nothing to "expand", is there anything to supersize?

recordable space reported by Tivo: 927.37G
approximately 143 HD hours
those are the readings in JFMS after the expand fail

something tells me I can get another 15 hours somehow, if I remember reading earlier threads. Is that done with WMFS (supersizing)?

OK - Update: hooked the drive up to the Tivo, and it's reading 157 HD hours, so I guess I'm good to go, right?
Yes, 157 hours is the most one can get from a 1Tb drive.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #336
tvmaster2

super....thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #337
daverita

Thank you ggieseke - setting the jumper to 'master' solved my problem.

Many thanks, now I have a 160GB drive in my Tivo instead of the 120GB drive.
daverita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #338
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverita View Post
Thank you ggieseke - setting the jumper to 'master' solved my problem.

Many thanks, now I have a 160GB drive in my Tivo instead of the 120GB drive.
I don't know if you previously hacked it to include the LBA48 kernel. If not, 127GB will be the max it can use.

Glad that worked. My S1 memories are getting pretty foggy.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #339
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I don't know if you previously hacked it to include the LBA48 kernel. If not, 127GB will be the max it can use.

Glad that worked. My S1 memories are getting pretty foggy.
You are correct. If he didn't put in the lba48 kernel, he's going to have problems.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #340
letsgokings

Hard Drive Failure on a Tivo Premiere

Hello, I also am a newbie here... Like others have posted in this thread, I have a Tivo Premiere (base model) whose hard drive has failed. It was a 2TB hard drive. I'm in the position where I have no backup and need a full image to try to setup my Tivo using a new hard drive. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joseph
letsgokings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #341
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgokings View Post
Hello, I also am a newbie here... Like others have posted in this thread, I have a Tivo Premiere (base model) whose hard drive has failed. It was a 2TB hard drive. I'm in the position where I have no backup and need a full image to try to setup my Tivo using a new hard drive. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joseph
PM sent.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #342
antalo

How do I copy original 500 GB to a 1 TB directly ?

I got the premier S4 with the 2 tuners and 500GB drive. I'm trying to copy it over to a 1 TB WD10EZEX drive, with DvrBARS, but it wont let me copy or back it up directly to the 1 TB drive. It wants to back up on the local drive and from there restore to the 1 TB. I did this before, but can't remember how I did it. I finally got my XP pc running and want to get this S4 -TCD746500 expended.
Any help please ? Thank You
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #343
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by antalo View Post
I got the premier S4 with the 2 tuners and 500GB drive. I'm trying to copy it over to a 1 TB WD10EZEX drive, with DvrBARS, but it wont let me copy or back it up directly to the 1 TB drive. It wants to back up on the local drive and from there restore to the 1 TB. I did this before, but can't remember how I did it. I finally got my XP pc running and want to get this S4 -TCD746500 expended.
Any help please ? Thank You
DvrBARS can't copy directly from disk to disk yet.

Backup the 500GB drive to a VHD file on your PC and close DvrBARS. Hook up the new 1TB drive, restart DvrBARS, and restore the image to the new drive.

You will also need a jmfs boot CD to expand the new drive after you restore it.

Depending on what's already on the 500GB drive you can choose to do a Truncated, Modified Full, or Full backup. It's up to you and what each option does is explanaied onscreen. When restoring to the new drive you can choose to do a Quick or Full restore. If it's a brand new drive I'd go with quick.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #344
bmeacham2

I'm looking for a TCD750500 image. Can anyone help please?

tia,

Bryan
bmeacham2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #345
qlafferty

I have TCD746320 with a bad hard drive. I have a TCD750500 in the house that is working fine. I read through a bunch of forum posts and I get the impression that backing up my other Tivo and restoring won't work because they are different models. If that is true could someone steer me in the right direction to get an image for a TCD746320? Thanks in advance.
qlafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #346
qlafferty

I am pretty sure I need an image for the TCD746320.

I bought a WD10EXRX 1Tb drive, took the drive out of my TCD705500, downloaded MFSLive 1.4, and copied, expanded, supersized to the new drive. I then put it back in the TCD705500. System Information saw the full capacity of the new drive. I did a clear and erase everything. After that I backed up the new drive to an image with DvrBARS. So far so good.

I then put the new drive in my TCD746320 and it seemed to boot up just fine. I ran guided setup with no problem. The Tivo downloaded the latest service update and everything seemed great. Until I tried to record something. It won't record and on further inspection I discovered that my Tivo Service number is all zeros.

I rebooted the Tivo several times with no change. I forced a network connection to Tivo. I did a 52 kickstart on the Tivo and it made no difference. I even tried the 56 kickstart and I still have all zeros for my TSN and no recording.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #347
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlafferty View Post

I bought a WD10EXRX 1Tb drive, took the drive out of my TCD705500, downloaded MFSLive 1.4, and copied, expanded, supersized to the new drive. I then put it back in the TCD705500. System Information saw the full capacity of the new drive. I did a clear and erase everything. After that I backed up the new drive to an image with DvrBARS. So far so good.

I then put the new drive in my TCD746320 and it seemed to boot up just fine. I ran guided setup with no problem. The Tivo downloaded the latest service update and everything seemed great. Until I tried to record something. It won't record and on further inspection I discovered that my Tivo Service number is all zeros.

I rebooted the Tivo several times with no change. I forced a network connection to Tivo. I did a 52 kickstart on the Tivo and it made no difference. I even tried the 56 kickstart and I still have all zeros for my TSN and no recording.

Any suggestions?
Run Clear & Delete Everything to clear out the TSN Zeroes. It will also marry the image/drive to the tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #348
jmbach

If that is what is happening to you, then as already stated a c&de should do it for you.
I am a little surprised that MFSLive did everything for you successfully. For the S4 series, JMFS is the utility that is used to do what you did. Might need to test the unit to make sure you have all the recording time that is reported.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #349
unitron

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Let me be sure I understand, because it sounds like you've done something that's not supposed to be able to be done.

You took the drive out of your 705500, which I suspect is really a 750500, a 4 tuner Premiere 4 with a 500GB hard drive, and copied (for an as yet un-pinned down definition of copy) it somehow to a 1TB WD10EXRX (which appears to be a mostly overseas model, are you sure yours isn't an EZRX?), and whatever voodoo you practiced next, when finished you put the TiVo's 500GB drive aside and put the 1TB drive into the TiVo from which you had removed the 500GB drive, successfully booted that TiVo, let it update (the TiVo operating system software, not just the program listings), and then did a C&DE on it.

Then you took that 1TB drive and put it into an original Premiere (2 tuners, came from the factory with a 320GB drive), and have had mixed success with it?

(I hope you are being very careful with the 500GB drive from the 4 tuner TiVo not to use it in any other TiVo besides the one in which it came, and not to erase or overwrite any of the software on it while it's connected to something other than the TiVo in which it came).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #350
qlafferty

Unitron, I guess I could have paid a little more attention to detail in my post. You are correct in your assumptions. I am currently at the 'Loading Info' phase of Guided Setup on the two tuner Premiere after doing a C&DE on the 1Tb drive that has 4 tuner Premiere software on it. I will post the results when it has completed.

Other than the TSN being all zeros and the inability to record I haven't seen anything else to indicate other issues on the two tuner Premiere after loading the 4 tuner SW on it.

I have already put the original drive back into the 4 tuner unit and it is still functioning just fine. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #351
qlafferty

I am happy to report that my two tuner Premiere seems to be 100% functional. The TSN is back, I can record again, and it is reporting 157 hours of recording time. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it stays stable and if I can really use the full capacity.

Thanks for your advice guys. These forums are really helpful.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #352
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, I guess I could have paid a little more attention to detail in my post. You are correct in your assumptions. I am currently at the 'Loading Info' phase of Guided Setup on the two tuner Premiere after doing a C&DE on the 1Tb drive that has 4 tuner Premiere software on it. I will post the results when it has completed.

Other than the TSN being all zeros and the inability to record I haven't seen anything else to indicate other issues on the two tuner Premiere after loading the 4 tuner SW on it.

I have already put the original drive back into the 4 tuner unit and it is still functioning just fine. Thanks for the warning though.

I'm somewhat amazed that you could use the MFS Live cd v1.4 to copy and expand a Series 4 image.

You could have used

dd

or

dd_rescue

on that cd to "Xerox" the 500GB onto the first 500GB of that 1TB drive, but the S4s introduced some sort of database partition that didn't exist before, and that was supposed to break MFS Live and WinMFS, according to spike, who wrote both, so I wouldn't have expected mfscopy to succeed, especially if you included the expansion option in that command.

Come to think of it, doesn't supersizing require WinMFS rather than MFS Live?

Assuming WinMFS can supersize anything newer than the various S3 models.

Unless you use the S4 only supersize function on the jmfs cd v1.04, in which case you might as well have used it for the copy part as well.

I don't suppose you happened to run

pdisk -l

on that 1TB and redirect its output to a text file?

I'd love to see the before and after partition maps.

It would also have been interesting to see what

mfsinfo

had to say about that expanded 1TB drive as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #353
dak99

Newbie here... I was hoping for a little help... My TiVo Premiere TCD746320 hard drive got corrupted. Where can I get a copy of the image? Please advise
dak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #354
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak99 View Post
Newbie here... I was hoping for a little help... My TiVo Premiere TCD746320 hard drive got corrupted. Where can I get a copy of the image? Please advise
Check your PMs.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #355
gls84

Hard drive crash

I'm sure you are all getting tired of this but I am also hoping for a little help... My TiVo Premiere TCD746320 hard drive has crashed and I am not able to get a backup from it. Would I be able to get an image from this helpful group?

Thanks - Gary
gls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #356
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls84 View Post
I'm sure you are all getting tired of this but I am also hoping for a little help... My TiVo Premiere TCD746320 hard drive has crashed and I am not able to get a backup from it. Would I be able to get an image from this helpful group?

Thanks - Gary
PM sent.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #357
Olamide

Failed Hardisk

Hello, I also am a newbie here... My Tivo 746320 hard disk failed. Don't have a backup of hard drive. I need a full image and instruction to try to setup my Tivo using a new hard drive. Can anyone help?

Thanks- Olamide
Olamide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #358
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamide View Post
Hello, I also am a newbie here... My Tivo 746320 hard disk failed. Don't have a backup of hard drive. I need a full image and instruction to try to setup my Tivo using a new hard drive. Can anyone help?

Thanks- Olamide
PM sent.

Use DvrBARS to restore it. If the new drive is larger than the original you can download a copy of the jmfs CD, boot from it, and expand the drive.

When you put the new drive in the TiVo run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" it to the motherboard.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #359
lpwcomp

Some questions:

Is there any problem running DVRbars under Win 8.1? Any possibility that Windows will automatically try to mount the source drive and write a drive signature to it?

Has the problem with an empty card reader been fixed? My new machine came with an 8-in-1 reader and I have absolutely nothing to put in it.

@ How long for a truncated backup of TCD746320? USB 3.0 connection, supposedly max 5Gbps

@ how long for restore?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #360
Olamide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.

Use DvrBARS to restore it. If the new drive is larger than the original you can download a copy of the jmfs CD, boot from it, and expand the drive.

When you put the new drive in the TiVo run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" it to the motherboard.
Hi ggieseke,

Got it, thanks you so much for your time and effort. Will update you on how it goes with the replacement. Question on the replacement, since i don't have an old hard drive, what will be my source drive that will house the image? Can the image be anywhere attached to the computer say a USB drive. Will the DvrBARS program recognize the external drive.

Thank you
Olamide is offline   Reply With Quote