TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

TiVo Premiere Holiday Offer

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/holiday2013

Did you 'guys' see this already?
Prices start at $49 for a new Premiere w/75 hours and the refurb 300 hour Premiere is $149.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/holiday2013

Did you 'guys' see this already?
Prices start at $49 for a new Premiere w/75 hours and the refurb 300 hour Premiere is $149.
They sent me an email for similar offers for Premieres with lifetime service but all the links were bad but the prices were the same. There is a case for someone wanting/needing a Premiere dual tuner if they need a DVR that works with analog cable or one that can do OTA & cable at the same time, but I am not sure I could find any reason for a new Premiere 4 at this point ($125) heck there offer is only $25 less than a Roamio can be purchase at Amazon.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

...but 75 hours just would not be enough for me, so one could make a good case for the 300 hour unit @ $199(new) or $149(refurb). I realize, apples to oranges.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
...but 75 hours just would not be enough for me, so one could make a good case for the 300 hour unit @ $199(new) or $149(refurb). I realize, apples to oranges.
Yes I agree the storage is limited in the base Roamio but upgrading hard drives in a Roamio is simple and 2TB drives are well under $100 & 3TB are in the $110-130 range, so in the end I still don't think there is enough savings to justify going with the old tech.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
vurbano

if they want to move the old tech then they should have a real sale and discount the service.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
ForrestB

My TivoHD is 5 years old now. Appreciate any thoughts on updgrading to the 75 hour Premeire or Romio - both will be OTA only. There are a few iPads in the house - comments welcome. $50 sounds like a great deal on the Premeire. Will I be able to get 1 year of service for $129, as I do with my TivoHD?
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

My local best buy has the XL4 on clearance for $100.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestB View Post
My TivoHD is 5 years old now. Appreciate any thoughts on updgrading to the 75 hour Premeire or Romio - both will be OTA only. There are a few iPads in the house - comments welcome. $50 sounds like a great deal on the Premeire. Will I be able to get 1 year of service for $129, as I do with my TivoHD?
Sounds like you need to explore ways to get the $99 lifetime deal on that HD.

How soon is it time to renew the 1 year sub?

You might be able to tell them cheap lifetime or you retire it and they get $0.

And if you're buying a new TiVo you should definitely have the leverage to get the $99 deal and use that as the anchor unit for an MSD deal on the sub for the new one.

But as far as I know the 1 and 3 year in advance subs are a thing of the past, and you might get monthly, no commitment, or monthly with a 1 year commitment, depending on the deal they offer on the hardware price, although by now you should be able to see the wisdom in just getting lifetime from the start.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
ForrestB

The $129 yearly Tivo service renewal on my TivoHD happened yesterday. I'm not interested in running two Tivo's in my house. Tell me more about this $99 Tivo lifetime deal. In the past, the cheapest Tivo lifetime service I ever saw was $299 a few years back, and I think it's more now.
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
waterchange

Quote:
If I were interested in a new TiVo now, comparing a $50 Premiere vs. effective $100 Roamio ($150 + $50 gift card from Best Buy for a 4-tuner Roamio), I'd definitely go the Roamio route.

I don't know how long that Best Buy deal will last (it includes a pricematch to Amazon), but if you're not aware of it, it's worth looking into. Check out the Roamio deals thread for info.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
The $129 yearly Tivo service renewal on my TivoHD happened yesterday. I'm not interested in running two Tivo's in my house. Tell me more about this $99 Tivo lifetime deal. In the past, the cheapest Tivo lifetime service I ever saw was $299 a few years back, and I think it's more now.
The deal for getting $99 lifetime put on older hardware commonly has applied to people who also buy a current Tivo at the same time, or who have already upgraded and called to cancel the old Tivo.
Sounds like you would be eligible for this deal, if you were to go this route. You then turn around and sell the TivoHD for a slight profit that offsets some of the cost of upgrading. In the end, you are still only running one Tivo in the house (nudge).

OTOH, if you are happy with the performance of the Tivo HD (as I am), you might (and I stress might) be able to negotiate a deal to lifetime it for $199 if it has been in service for 3 years. If less, you might be offered $299.
This option has typically been dependent on which TiVo CSR you get (and the mood they're in sometimes, it seems) so it might be worthwhile to play "CSR roulette". I would be surprised if you were able to get $99 lifetime, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for that as your opening bid in the negotiation.

My $0.02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Forget all the offers for new equipment, I'm thinking of digging out my old Series 2 Lifetime machines and putting up my Premieres for sale.

I am tired of the Premieres always being filled up because they don't have the option to record HD shows at lower definition levels.
I only have SD TVs so no reason for HD. So I record 99% of everything at the lowest definition. ( or at least I would if the Premiere had that option )
I can put huge amounts of TV shows on my Series 2 TiVos, but comparatively so much less on HD TiVos. And my Series 2 DVD recorders can save shows to DVD. I don't have my TiVos connected to the computer, and have no desire to do that. ( In fact, I can't connect my Premieres to the computer, as they are 'evaluation' type of lifetime, so if I try to put them on my account TiVo will shut them down. )
Bah Humbug!
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I am tired of the Premieres always being filled up because they don't have the option to record HD shows at lower definition levels.
I only have SD TVs so no reason for HD.
Why are you recording HD channels if you don't have an HD TV? Every HD channel should have an equivalent SD channel, no?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Why are you recording HD channels if you don't have an HD TV? Every HD channel should have an equivalent SD channel, no?
On antenna TV?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
On antenna TV?
It's been a while since I've used an antenna, but as far as I know the local stations in my area still simulcast SD signals. Not sure if that's the norm.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
series5orpremier

That 2-tuner Premier is a nice deal for anyone needing a supplemental unit for analog cable.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
You would need a separate Tivo Stream for the Roamio that works with OTA. (It is built into the higher Roamios that are cable only.)

I have a Tivo Stream and am likely going to get a Roamio soon (use up some Best Buy gift cards).. do you want to buy it?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
mp11

I also still have a TivoHD. Starting to think about upgrading, but I don't want to lose my OTA subchannels. Is the Premier the only choice these days?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
I also still have a TivoHD. Starting to think about upgrading, but I don't want to lose my OTA subchannels. Is the Premier the only choice these days?
If you are asking what TiVos can do cable AND OTA at the same time, then yes you would need the dual tuner Premiere for that. Of course the other solution is to maintain your TiVoHD just for OTA and buy a Roamio for cable. If your TiVo HD doesn't have lifetime many people have gotten TiVo to sell them lifetime for their older TiVos for $99 when they upgrade to a Roamio.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

Has anyone had luck with $99 lifetimes as of late??

Just bought a Premier and want to lifetime my old TiVo HD.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk1843 View Post
Has anyone had luck with $99 lifetimes as of late??

Just bought a Premier and want to lifetime my old TiVo HD.
It's probably best to try for the $99 lifetime when you have the leverage of being about to buy a new TiVo, but you can try calling them up and asking if they want to get $99 more dollars on that HD or $0 dollars more on that HD.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote