TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
HarperVision

V53 and V58 Errors

OK so let me get this straight. If I downgrade my Pro to a basic (yes I know the differences and its ok), I won't get anymore V58 errors because that's what I'm getting due to not being able to tune the extra 2 tuners on the plus/pro because of my crappy Cisco TA with old firmware. I will however still get the occasional V53 tuning error where it just fails to tune, right? I think I got that right, but now I'm just so damned confused I don't know which way is up anymore!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
OK so let me get this straight. If I downgrade my Pro to a basic (yes I know the differences and its ok), I won't get anymore V58 errors because that's what I'm getting due to not being able to tune the extra 2 tuners on the plus/pro because of my crappy Cisco TA with old firmware. I will however still get the occasional V53 tuning error where it just fails to tune, right? I think I got that right, but now I'm just so damned confused I don't know which way is up anymore!
Well you can't use your cablecard with the basic so that may end that option. You can disable the tuners on the Pro until the fix rolls out early next year (guessing you are on Comcast).
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
Well you can't use your cablecard with the basic so that may end that option.
Sorry, but that is totally wrong info.

The Roamio basic model is either ota (no cablecard inserted) or cable (cablecard inserted into the panel that opens on the bottom). So a cablecard totally does work with the basic 4 tuner model.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***

Last edited by AdamNJ : 11-25-2013 at 10:45 PM.
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
jwbelcher

So what's the difference between a Basic and a Pro w/ 2 tuners disabled? You'd think not much in terms of the software, right? I know that my TivoHD with only 2 tuners (and very old software) never has these issues. It seems the folks with 2 tuner premiers claim the same thing.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
grey ghost

Quote:
Harper, I've got a Plus and was constantly getting v58 errors. I'm running a Comcast Cisco cablecard with 1.5.2 Fp1401 firmware. A week and a half ago, I downgraded to 5 tuners and have not experienced any problems since then. I hope this continues.

I'm still harassing Comcast about the firmware upgrade so that I can use all 6 tuners, but at least right now, I'm able to use my Tivo consistently and I'm not holding my breath every time I switch channels.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
So what's the difference between a Basic and a Pro w/ 2 tuners disabled? You'd think not much in terms of the software, right? I know that my TivoHD with only 2 tuners (and very old software) never has these issues. It seems the folks with 2 tuner premiers claim the same thing.
Exactly my point. Why on earth would I want to pay the premium for the pro when I don't need moca, I can't stream hardly anything outside the home due to oceanic time warner and their wonderful copy protection on everything except locals, so I use a Slingbox and Vulkano like I always have. I checked my busiest night of recording and I think 4 tuners should suffice and I'm more of a watch and delete kinda guy, so huge storage isn't that big of a deal either. If it does become an issue I can always throw in a bigger drive though. Other than that, why would I pay $400+ more for the pro, when it seems like the basic now at $150 should suffice?

To top it off I'm seriously considering cutting the cord in the not too distant future and the basic with the OTA tuner may come in handy for that as well. I'm actually even considering trying the new dual tuner Simple.TV and dumping TiVo all together. I really think there's more than meets the eye under the surface with TiVo. It seems there's more strange issues and things going on that makes me feel real uneasy with them. I really wish MS would've kept WMC development going and would've matured that incredible solution further. Oh well.......
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post

Harper, I've got a Plus and was constantly getting v58 errors. I'm running a Comcast Cisco cablecard with 1.5.2 Fp1401 firmware. A week and a half ago, I downgraded to 5 tuners and have not experienced any problems since then. I hope this continues.

I'm still harassing Comcast about the firmware upgrade so that I can use all 6 tuners, but at least right now, I'm able to use my Tivo consistently and I'm not holding my breath every time I switch channels.
I use Cisco CC and TA as well. My FW is 1.5.3 fp0601. I've been downgraded to 5 tuners for months now, since Margret posted it. I still get black screens and V53 errors. I don't know about you, but I feel duped that I bought this 6 tuner Mercedes but am told I can only drive a 4 tuner Kia Rio for the time being while my nice car is in the shop for recall repairs that God knows may or may never be completely fixed! As I've said in numerous other posts, Ceton fixed the same issue for me in less than 24 hours!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
DigitalDawn

Quote:

If you can at least get Comcast to update your card to 2401, it would be a huge improvement using 4 tuners.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
If you can at least get Comcast to update your card to 2401, it would be a huge improvement using 4 tuners.
Yea, I don't want a firmware upgrade until I can get the 1.5.3.1101 upgrade. At least this way, I can use 5 of my 6 tuners. I don't want to "upgrade" to 1.5.2.2401 and actually lose a tuner.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
grey ghost

Quote:
I use Cisco CC and TA as well. My FW is 1.5.3 fp0601. I've been downgraded to 5 tuners for months now, since Margret posted it. I still get black screens and V53 errors. I don't know about you, but I feel duped that I bought this 6 tuner Mercedes but am told I can only drive a 4 tuner Kia Rio for the time being while my nice car is in the shop for recall repairs that God knows may or may never be completely fixed! As I've said in numerous other posts, Ceton fixed the same issue for me in less than 24 hours!!!
I share your frustration about Comcast not upgrading firmware like they should. Your machine is still a Mercedes. The road it's on just doesn't allow it to go as fast as we would all like.

I'm with Comcast too, but I don't have to use/never had to use a TA. Is that only for certain systems?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:

I share your frustration about Comcast not upgrading firmware like they should. Your machine is still a Mercedes. The road it's on just doesn't allow it to go as fast as we would all like.

I'm with Comcast too, but I don't have to use/never had to use a TA. Is that only for certain systems?
Thanks for the support! I'm on Oceanic Time Warner, not Comcast. Yes the TA is used for systems that have deployed switched digital video (SDV) to save bandwidth for digital channels while maintaining their old legacy analog channels for those still stuck in 1996.

Basically it's a way for them to fit 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
JohnParks

I too have V58 issues using a Cisco TA and CC (1.5.2-Fp.2401) and a Roamo+, but am a Charter cable subscriber. Would deactivating a turner work for me? If so how does one go about doing that?

Last edited by JohnParks : 11-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
JohnParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParks View Post
I too have V58 issues using a Cisco TA and CC (1.5.2-Fp.2401) and a Roamo+, but am a Charter cable subscriber. Would deactivating a turner work for me? If so how does one go about doing that?
Go to the linked thread and look at post #40
Reduce # of tuners
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
JohnParks

Thanks for your for help Gray. The turner reduction didn't see to help. Haven't had any luck with Charter on cc firmware upgrade.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
HarperVision

Quote:
.... The turner reduction didn't see to help. ....
Is that where you go in and delete TBS and TNT from your channel list? Oh no, that's right, the TiVo Roamio does that for you already whether you like it or not!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Dawn, I'm currently using 5 tuners. Why would I "upgrade" to 2401 when I know that I would only get 4 tuners and it would not give me any more reliable Tivo service? Should I have turned my sarcasm meter on??
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
DigitalDawn

No sarcasm meter necessary :-)

In PBC 2401 is just a lot more stable than 1401. I would rather have less tuners but better and more consistent tuning.

If you aren't having any tuning problems then stay at your current firmware. If you are having tuning troubles you could also try using 5 tuners on 2401. I never tried it, but it may work for you.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
BobCamp1

Quote:
Thanks for your for help Gray. The turner reduction didn't see to help. Haven't had any luck with Charter on cc firmware upgrade.
You need to reboot after entering those codes.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
barrett14

I have been getting V53 and V58 errors as well. Tivo is sending me a new box but based on what I am reading, I am not sure if that will fix it. I am using a Cisco cable card from Charter.

How do I disable tuners to see if this fixes it? What else can I do?

p.s. - Tivo is blaming the issue on my Signal Strength and SNR being too high... even though I have used attenuators to bring them down.
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett14 View Post
How do I disable tuners to see if this fixes it?
Post 13 above has a link to the thread where that's discussed.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
grey ghost

Quote:
I have been getting V53 and V58 errors as well. Tivo is sending me a new box but based on what I am reading, I am not sure if that will fix it. I am using a Cisco cable card from Charter.

p.s. - Tivo is blaming the issue on my Signal Strength and SNR being too high... even though I have used attenuators to bring them down.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=507973&page=2
Old 11-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
aristoBrat

barrett14, in case the URL above starts you with post #41 being the top of the page (which is what it did for me), you're looking for post #40.

Everyone can have a different "posts per page" display setting, which can cause people to land in different parts of the thread when clicking on URLs that refer to specific pages.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
barrett14, in case the URL above starts you with post #41 being the top of the page (which is what it did for me), you're looking for post #40.

Everyone can have a different "posts per page" display setting, which can cause people to land in different parts of the thread when clicking on URLs that refer to specific pages.
Very true, and very often overlooked.

I have my posts/page set to the max, not the default, PLUS I have the highest numbered post first (listed in descending order). So every time somebody says below/above, it's the opposite for me...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Quote:

I am a Charter Cable Customer in Sunny Southern California (San Gabriel Valley) and am also running a Cisco CC at 1.5.2-Fp.2401 (I think all Charter Cisco cards are at this firmware release), Charter still uses a TA.

I set my Tivo Roamio Pro up for 5 tuners to correct the V58 errors about a month ago and have had zero tuning problems since that change.

It would be nice if Charter would come into the current decade and upgrade the firmware to the current release (1.5.3-Fp.1101??? ) and eliminate the TA altogether, as far as I know Charter is all digital now so I don't think there is a real need for the TA anymore.

I am adding a total of 4 Tivo Mini's to my system, but I have stopped at 2 right now. I will add the 3rd and 4th Mini when I am able to use all 6 tuners on the Roamio.

I am still very pleased with the Roamio Pro, it is a HUGE improvement over the Cisco DVR's that Charter offers even with only 5 usable tuners.

From another Post to change the number of active tuners on your Roamio:

Go to Settings > Channels > Channel List
and enter one of the following number sequences using the number buttons on the remote. This will tell Roamio the how many tuners it can use.
- 88633 = use 3 tuners
- 88634 = use 4 tuners
- 88635 = use 5 tuners
- 88636 = use 6 tuners
Then force a reboot of the tivo:
tivo >> settings >> help >> restart
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 11-30-2013 at 04:50 PM.
pshivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
JohnParks

I had to give up two tuners, but so far no more V58 errors on the Roamio+. Now to get charter to up-date the cc firmware.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #26
barrett14

So is this issue with the Charter cable cards and not with the Tivo? Why is Tivo tech support blaming the signal strength and/or SNR on this?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
So is this issue with the Charter cable cards and not with the Tivo? Why is Tivo tech support blaming the signal strength and/or SNR on this?
Here's some "tech-babble":

All I can tell you, for sure, is that TiVo measures (calculates) SNR in a way different than the rest of nearly all related industry/companies. Also, rather than measure Signal Strength in dBmV, like the cable companies, and most others do, they use a 0-100 scale, where 100 means 0 dBmV, or higher (positive) value, and anything lower than 100 is something that would be a negative dBmV value (negative is not bad, in dBmV terms, until it hits a threshold, which varies).

If they'd just stick to the standards that have been in place for a long, long, time, which nearly everybody else uses, we wouldn't give the impression that all TiVo users are idiots, when saying "we need 36 or less SNR". If TiVo measured/calculated in the way nearly everybody else does, "the higher the SNR, the better" would be true, as it seems to be with everything except TiVo.

For a non "tech-babble" explanation, and a better answer to your question, do some reading here, and in TiVo's knowledge base section.

I'm sure somebody will come along, and give you a more direct, and less technical explanation, than I did, and/or post links to direct you to posts and KB articles that better explain this. I don't have them bookmarked, so I can't, without hunting them down again. Sorry.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
pshivers
Retired!

In a word Yes! The Cisco cable card firmware is outdated and needs to be updated to the current release by Cisco. That will not happen until Charter finishes their approval process and sends out the update, (Could be a very long wait).

I have found that most support personnel (TiVo and Charter) are not current on Tivo problems like these and rely on the script they follow while trying to diagnose your problem. The 6 tuner problem being caused by out of date CableCard firmware does not come up as a diagnosis... Most Field Techs go through similar "canned" steps when they come to your home to try and "Fix" the problem, and are not aware that it will not be fixed unless the Firmware is updated, something they can't do anyway... At least they do usually eliminate any other possible problems while they are there with your cable service.

When I first reported the problem, Charter Service was convinced the problem could not be the CableCard at all... They swapped out 4 TA's, ran separate drops from the outside, bypassed my internal cabling, eliminated the cable pass-thru on the TA using a splitter instead, verified that that signal strength was good at all connection points. It wasn't until they (Charter) and I both started doing Internet searches and found articles in the Tivo Community describing the problem and recent solution that they finally concluded that the Cisco CableCard Firmware needed to be upgraded.
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 12-02-2013 at 08:53 AM.
pshivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
barrett14

Is it possible to buy an updated cable card on your own or is the only option to wait for Charter? How will you know when Charter releases the new firmware?

p.s. - I reduced my tuners from 6 to 5 but its still doing it. I have not tried 4 tuners yet.

Last edited by barrett14 : 12-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
AdamNJ

Quote:
Is it possible to buy an updated cable card on your own or is the only option to wait for Charter? How will you know when Charter releases the new firmware?

p.s. - I reduced my tuners from 6 to 5 but its still doing it. I have not tried 4 tuners yet.
You have to wait for charter (or bother them) for them to get on the ball. At least one person here has bought a card off ebay, but they are not generally available and more importantly your cable co probably won't allow/install it on it's network.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote