TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Bluesfan77

Upgrade Advice

I have been looking at the Roamio Pro.

I currently have a S2 (2006, monthly, cable box) and a HD (2009, annual, cableCARD & Tuning adapter) connected to a living room HDTV. There is a SDTV in our bedroom without any TiVo connected as that TV is rarely used.

I was thinking of consolidating down to one device...Roamio Pro, probably w/lifetime service.

I have recordings to transfer, so my plan was to get the Roamio, transfer the recordings from the S2, once done, deactivate service for the S2 and then use the CC/TA from the HD to actively use the Roamio. I am under the impression that the HD should still get analog cable and still be able to transfer recordings until it's service is deactivated (Feb 2014).

However, I am reluctant to just box up TiVos that still seem to be in good working order. However, due to age, I figure I would not get anything for them as they do not have the lifetime service and many would just go for a newer device rather than these old ones.

As I type this, I'm not really sure what my question is...I know I'd like to get the Roamio and I know I'd like to go down to one device. I guess I am wondering the best course of action for the HD and the remainder of it's year of service and the capabilities without CC/TA and what to do with the SD & HD once I've upgraded.
Bluesfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
tomm1079

after you get the roamio and put lifetime on it Tivo should offer 99 lifetime on the HD. Then you should be able to turn around and sell it for a profit. I dont know what HD's go for nowadays but i am assuming it is more then 99 ..
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Bluesfan77

Currently, it shows these pricing options

HD: $399.99 Product Lifetime service

S2: $499.99 Product Lifetime service

I guess the $99 must be a phone call option?

Tried to ask about alternative deals with the lifetime via TiVo chat. I was directed to phone support (who are closed) as the chat people are only able to offer what I see online.

Last edited by Bluesfan77 : 11-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Bluesfan77

Thought I would give a follow-up in case it helps someone else...

Called TiVo yesterday and the lady on the phone didn't seem too sure of her prices. She said she "thought" the Roamio Pro "might" be $100 off "if" I was qualified...despite having all my info pulled up. It seemed there was ZERO discount for the Lifetime on the old boxes.

So I decided to call the support number...while they couldn't help with sales (obviously) they did provide some needed info...that I didn't realize was easily available on WikiPedia...and probably on here had I done better research.

S2 = 160GB
HD = 160GB
Total = 320GB

Roamio = 500GB
R Plus = 1TB
R Pro = 3TB

The tech support helped me save $200 by realizing I didn't need the Pro...overkill...we watch a lot of TV, but not THAT much...we've only maxed out the HD a couple times over the past few years...1TB should be good enough.

He also mentioned the $50 off promo that is going on at the moment. However, Best Buy has a $50 gift card. Seeing as we'd spend $50 at Best Buy at some point in the future, it comes out equal.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfan77 View Post
Thought I would give a follow-up in case it helps someone else...

Called TiVo yesterday and the lady on the phone didn't seem too sure of her prices. She said she "thought" the Roamio Pro "might" be $100 off "if" I was qualified...despite having all my info pulled up. It seemed there was ZERO discount for the Lifetime on the old boxes.

So I decided to call the support number...while they couldn't help with sales (obviously) they did provide some needed info...that I didn't realize was easily available on WikiPedia...and probably on here had I done better research.

S2 = 160GB
HD = 160GB
Total = 320GB

Roamio = 500GB
R Plus = 1TB
R Pro = 3TB

The tech support helped me save $200 by realizing I didn't need the Pro...overkill...we watch a lot of TV, but not THAT much...we've only maxed out the HD a couple times over the past few years...1TB should be good enough.

He also mentioned the $50 off promo that is going on at the moment. However, Best Buy has a $50 gift card. Seeing as we'd spend $50 at Best Buy at some point in the future, it comes out equal.

What you do is use the possibility of buying a new TiVo as leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on the old one--hint around that they won't be getting any more subscription money on the S3 when the current sub runs out. $99 being $99 more than $0, they'll probably choose $99.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Bluesfan77

(Possible) Last post to close this out:

Purchased the Roamio Plus from Best Buy last weekend, had banked reward points of $300, so the total was only $99 and also got the $50 gift card.

Activated the service @ $399.99 but held off on canceling the S2 & HD boxes until I had transferred everything off of them.

Called this weekend to cancel S2 & HD boxes and was offered the $99 lifetime on the HD. He mentioned there were a few qualifying factors in order to be eligible for the rate...ownership of a Roamio as well as the HD being of a certain age, etc. He also offered a lower monthly rate on my S2, but due to being non-HD, etc. I didn't feel it was worth it. It sounded as if it was something within their system when they go to cancel your service. I did pick the phone tree option of "cancel service" so I don't know if that is a piece of the puzzle as well.

Now we have the Roamio Plus & TiVo HD as lifetime. We'll probably use the HD in our bedroom with our smaller HDTV when we get a larger HDTV for our living room. At least the Roamio & HD should be able to transfer shows between each other.