TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #181
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I've read someone in AVS Forums say that SKIP FORWARD and PAUSE worked for him in the TV app to control his Comcast DVR. Do they work with TiVo?
Yes

Just say xbox skip forward or skip back/backwards

OR

Press RB to Skip forward and LB to Skip backward
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #182
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
What pissing power to me is using incandescents/CFLs when LEDs are fantastic these days.
Agree on incandescents but not CFLs, a CFL does not use much more juice than an LED and is WAY cheaper now. Agree that an LED will last longer but they are just not cost-competitive right now for me, and don't have enough energy savings to justify the extra cost.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #183
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
My only concern that this might not happen (at least officially from TiVo) is that in a small way, TiVo and Xbox One compete. TiVo is also trying to be that app platform, and provides access to things like Netflix. I think both TiVo and Microsoft want to be "in control" of the entertainment experience in the living room.

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next couple years.
Well hopefully they WILL compete as we move away from crappy cards and into the IPTV world. What remains to be seen is if MS will be interested in the DVR aspects instead of just streaming everything. If they aren't, I won't be interested in the Xbone.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #184
AARGH2K

Anyone having an issue with fast forwarding or reversing and the screen freezes, and doesn't resume until you hit play? This is with a Series 3 Tivo. I've restarted the Tivo, and cycled the Xbox 1, and did the setup again, to no avail. Could this be a symptom to a bad HDMI cable? From reading posts, it seems to be a bit more particular than most.
AARGH2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #185
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Agree on incandescents but not CFLs, a CFL does not use much more juice than an LED and is WAY cheaper now. Agree that an LED will last longer but they are just not cost-competitive right now for me, and don't have enough energy savings to justify the extra cost.
i hate the light CFLs produce...I studied lighting design in college so I can be a snob about it.

The initial investment is high, no if's ands or buts about it. Thought over the course of the led bulbs lifespand you will save significant money! I had 16 incandescents and moved them all too LEDs and over the span of the led bulb I'll have saved $3,000 in energy cost! The CFL to LED will save you $500 over the course of the led's lifespan.

Yes the bulb price is high but the savings are there still. Plus the philips leds produce the closest light color to incandescent lights.

Plus you can get CFL LIFX bulbs! I got these puppies on the way and I'll sell my led's to a friend. http://lifx.co/
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #186
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARGH2K View Post
Anyone having an issue with fast forwarding or reversing and the screen freezes, and doesn't resume until you hit play? This is with a Series 3 Tivo. I've restarted the Tivo, and cycled the Xbox 1, and did the setup again, to no avail. Could this be a symptom to a bad HDMI cable? From reading posts, it seems to be a bit more particular than most.
Do you have surround on?

It have a feeling boxes like the series aren't as well supported by the xbox one. My Roamio works flawlessly with little to no impact on sound and pic quality.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #187
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I just hooked up a splitter to my TiVo, which works great. I am signally unimpressed with the TV app, though. Somehow it's less responsive to my voice while it's running, making it frustrating to use and I find the command set to be highly unintuitive. It also doesn't show a sufficient number of channels at a time to please me. I'm not going to be using it other than to perhaps demonstrate it to friends.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #188
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
So, how do you manually change it to get DD?
There is a check box in the settings that says it's beta to enable surround sound. You will still get multi-channel pcm on the output, but the XBOne is decoding the DD from the TiVo. When the TiVo is sending DD you will never hear any TiVos sounds. That was how I knew initially that it was sending stereo pcm into the XBOne. And then of course it's easy to tell when only audio is coming out of the FL/FR speakers. Since the XBOne has not been updated yet to dynamically change the audio output channels like a proper performing device should.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #189
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I tried using the full power off mode and my one complaint is that boot up is sloooooow. It sits on that green screen for like 10-15 seconds, then it shows the XBox logo for another 10+ seconds before it finally boots up. With the other option it comes on in less then 5 seconds. I know it seems petty, but I set it to the fast boot mode just because I'm impatient and don't want to wait 20-30 seconds for the console to boot every time.
This is why I use the fast boot option. I can say "Xbox On" and it's ready before my TV is ready. Since my Mitsubishi DLP takes the longest to start up out of any DLP set I've owned. But for the convenience I'll eat the 14 or 18 watts. Plus it's nice to get back into a game I was playing quickly. But the 14 to 18 watts is well worth it for the next gen experience. Even though on days like today, I never used the XBOne.
But I'll use it tomorrow morning.

Just in the short time I've use the XBOne with Kinect, I couldn't imagine using the system with just the controller. Using voice commands, gestures, and the controller is so much better than just using the controller to navigate.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #190
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I respect your opinion that there is no real gain, its great that you're energy conscious.

IMO it's not pissing power, the gain of being able to Say XBOX ON when I walk into my living room is huge. I have been dreaming about doing that for years. I'll pay for things that make my entertainment/relaxation center easier anyday.

What pissing power to me is using incandescents/CFLs when LEDs are fantastic these days. I went from using on average 500-600 watts (up to 1,300 if all lights were on) of power to only 40watts (100 watts if all lights are on). I have owned the same LED bulbs for three years now and they will work for another 6 easily with my usage level. Thats some real power savings! Which I don't even get to see yet since I live in an apartment that includes all utilities in my rent...it did make my landlord happy...
Going from incandescents to CFL or LEDs makes sense, but going from CFLs to LEDs is only minor savings. I've been using CFLs for many years, and the cost of going to LED for only a small percentage in electricity savings was not worth it, especially since I would never recoup the cost. I still have CFLs that are working from many, many years ago. The cost of the LED bulbs is still many times the cost of CFL for only a small wattage savings.

When I first went to CFLs I had huge savings since I had four or five Halogen lamps that used 500 watt bulbs each. Those all were replaced with Fluorescents that used only 20% of the electricity and gave me close to the same light output. I'm not even sure if I could get LEDs that would output the same amount of light through out the room. But I know if it is available it would be super expensive, and the lamp would break down before I would recoup the cost of it with savings over Fluorescents
Old 11-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #191
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Going from incandescents to CFL or LEDs makes sense, but going from CFLs to LEDs is only minor savings. I've been using CFLs for many years, and the cost of going to LED for only a small percentage in electricity savings was not worth it, especially since I would never recoup the cost. I still have CFLs that are working from many, many years ago. The cost of the LED bulbs is still many times the cost of CFL for only a small wattage savings.

When I first went to CFLs I had huge savings since I had four or five Halogen lamps that used 500 watt bulbs each. Those all were replaced with Fluorescents that used only 20% of the electricity and gave me close to the same light output. I'm not even sure if I could get LEDs that would output the same amount of light through out the room. But I know if it is available it would be super expensive, and the lamp would break down before I would recoup the cost of it with savings over Fluorescents
I guess you didn't see my post about how I dislike the color tempature of CFLs, I studied lighting design and frankly CFLs make me feel like I'm in a hospital.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #192
HarperVision

Quote:
... I studied lighting design and frankly CFLs make me feel like I'm in a hospital.
.......and reading this thread lately makes me feel like I'm on the wrong forum!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #193
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
.......and reading this thread lately makes me feel like I'm on the wrong forum!
A forum full of nerds talking about mundane and intimate details of technology that the general public couldn't care less about? Nope, you're in the right place

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #194
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
A forum full of nerds talking about mundane and intimate details of technology that the general public couldn't care less about? Nope, you're in the right place
TCF at its best! and that's why I love TCF
Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #195
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I guess you didn't see my post about how I dislike the color tempature of CFLs, I studied lighting design and frankly CFLs make me feel like I'm in a hospital.
Ive always purchased 6500k cfls. I avoid the bluish or yellowish ones since that is not natural looking. I used to have to get them online but now they are available in local stores.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #196
doydel

Quote:
Yes, I was having the exact same issue with my Series 3. I fixed it by changing the IR delay setting to fast. This setting can be found under settings/tv & guide/troubleshooting.
After I changed that setting the fast forward/rewind worked like normal. Please note that you may have to reset the tivo and or xbox along with changing the IR delay to fast again. I say this because the fix i described stopped working after a few minutes but after I did the reboot and changed the IR setting it worked permanetly.
Hope this helps...
doydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #197
supasta

Well, I have decided to reconnect my TiVo Premiere to the Xbox One. The voice control for pausing, as well as "Xbox ON" also turning on my soundbar and TV were features that are just too cool.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #198
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have not gone back to messing with the XBOne controlling my TiVo. When I first tried it the XB1 was using remote code zero. Did anyone find a way to have it use remote codes 1 through 9?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #199
AARGH2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by doydel View Post
Yes, I was having the exact same issue with my Series 3. I fixed it by changing the IR delay setting to fast. This setting can be found under settings/tv & guide/troubleshooting.
After I changed that setting the fast forward/rewind worked like normal. Please note that you may have to reset the tivo and or xbox along with changing the IR delay to fast again. I say this because the fix i described stopped working after a few minutes but after I did the reboot and changed the IR setting it worked permanetly.
Hope this helps...
Since I wasn't using the XBOX One to control the Tivo, this is not a factor. It's not an issue of control, but of not being able to keep up with the Tivo when I fast forward, change channels or go to Tivo home and it blacking out or freezing what was on screen when I do something. I have now taken the tivo out of the pass-through and back into the receiver and it works fine. Hopefully a patch or something will address this at some point.
AARGH2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #200
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Ive always purchased 6500k cfls. I avoid the bluish or yellowish ones since that is not natural looking. I used to have to get them online but now they are available in local stores.

It's definitely much easier to get a specific cfl color tempeture these days. I'll still take my less since they are left bulbs and can produce any color
Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #201
wco81

Got nothing to say about Xbox but I've had CFLs and now LEDs.

LEDs instantly go to the brightness and color temperature you want.

CFLs in cooler weather takes a couple of minutes to reach max brightness.

CFLs require special disposal.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #202
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Um ok. CFLs still work well if you don't mind the light they put out.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #203
muzzymate

I think a mod should change the title of this thread to "Thoughts on Xbox One & Tivo and CFL vs LED"

Has anyone tried the Xbox 360 Media Remote to see if it functions with the Xbox One? Or any non-Harmony programable remote that can control an Xbox? I'm curious to know if it works.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #204
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
I think a mod should change the title of this thread to "Thoughts on Xbox One & Tivo and CFL vs LED"

Has anyone tried the Xbox 360 Media Remote to see if it functions with the Xbox One? Or any non-Harmony programable remote that can control an Xbox? I'm curious to know if it works.
I haven't tried an Xbox 360 remote, but I'll give it a shot today if I can find mine. I doubt it works, and honestly I hope it doesn't. Microsoft has to assume that a large number of Xbox One owners will still have a 360 sitting in their stack. Harmony does have a code set for the XBOne, I've already programmed my remote to operate it.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #205
LSpera

Having problems with my Roamio Plus and Xbox One. It is taking some time to go between channels... seems like a handshake issue but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Had no problems before the Xbox One. Any ideas?
LSpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #206
Dan203
Super Moderator

Set the Roamio to only output one resolution. (1080p) That will cause the TiVo to scale all channels internally and avoid the handshake issues.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #207
LSpera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Set the Roamio to only output one resolution. (1080p) That will cause the TiVo to scale all channels internally and avoid the handshake issues.
THANK YOU! This has been driving me insane.
LSpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #208
aaronwt
HD Addict

So has anyone been able to set the XBOne to use remote codes 1 through 9 instead of remote code 0 which affects all TiVos?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #209
Keen

After hooking up my Tivo HD through the X1, I noticed immediate degradation in the video quality. The image is darker, there's banding in any gradients, and there's possibly some black crush.
Quote:
I'm seeing issues here on my Tivo HD. Whenever I do a trickplay feature (skip back, 30 sec skip forward, fast forward, or rewind), the screen either freezes or goes black. I lose all Tivo audio as well. After I stop the trickplay and return to normal playback, it can take up to 10+ seconds for the video and audio to return. This makes it pretty useless to me. When this happens, just skipping back once isn't necessarily enough time for it to fix itself, so I skip back twice, and then I wonder why I would have this hooked up like this.

What video output option are people using? I originally was on Native, but then switched to 1080i after I started getting the a/v dropouts.
Keen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #210
doydel

Quote:
Since I wasn't using the XBOX One to control the Tivo, this is not a factor. It's not an issue of control, but of not being able to keep up with the Tivo when I fast forward, change channels or go to Tivo home and it blacking out or freezing what was on screen when I do something. I have now taken the tivo out of the pass-through and back into the receiver and it works fine. Hopefully a patch or something will address this at some point.
The IR adjustment will fix your issue. I wasnt using the xbox to control the tivo either when i was having the freezing issues. It was freezing when i would rewind or fast forward using the tivo remote through the xbox pass through.
doydel is offline   Reply With Quote