TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
danterner
Not it!

No thread yet? As much as I enjoyed the first episode, I really liked this one even more. There were some really great moments. I'm going to enjoy this series. SP is definitely secure. Benedict Android, the leg stabbing, the online dating, the balls-scanning - loved it all. Also loved the continued nods to Blade Runner (there were many), and the future tech was great: the FlashMasks (or whatever they were called), the license plate scrambler, and the DNA bomb were all very cool.

I do note, with a little apprehension, that although this was the second episode to air, and was billed as part 2 of a two part series premiere, that it appears that this was actually episode 5. Not sure if that's just a production number versus an episode number, or if FOX is airing them out of order, or what's going on...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danterner : 11-19-2013 at 07:44 PM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
eddyj

Fox would never, ever, air a series out of order.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Fox would never, ever, air a series out of order.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Something I'm pretty sure that has never been uttered in a buddy-cop series before: "Don't scan my testicles ever again."

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Somebody used that flashmask technology to rob a bank on Hawaii Five-0 a few months ago, so it's not exactly futuristic.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I do note, with a little apprehension, that although this was the second episode to air, and was billed as part 2 of a two part series premiere, that it appears that this was actually episode 5. Not sure if that's just a production number versus an episode number, or if FOX is airing them out of order, or what's going on...
I noticed the lead and his partner seemed much more at ease with each other than I expected them to be by the second episode. Airing the episodes out of order would certainly explain that.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I noticed the lead and his partner seemed much more at ease with each other than I expected them to be by the second episode. Airing the episodes out of order would certainly explain that.
that's what I was going to say. Also, the bald cop that was antagonistic to Kennex in the pilot seemed less so.

Jeez, seems like there's some kind of gruesome autopsy every time I watch a tv show while eating.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I was amused to note that, just as we learned that they were harvesting skin to make "skin suits", they were also playing that gimmick of watching the heroes breaking into where they thought the bad guy was, and the bad guy responding to an invasion, and then it turning out they were in different locations -- a gimmick used to such great effect in Silence of the Lambs.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
danterner
Not it!

Ha! Right at the beginning of the scene, I commented out loud "You guys are in the wrong place - haven't you seen Silence of the Lambs?"
| Twitter:
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I was amused to note that, just as we learned that they were harvesting skin to make "skin suits", they were also playing that gimmick of watching the heroes breaking into where they thought the bad guy was, and the bad guy responding to an invasion, and then it turning out they were in different locations -- a gimmick used to such great effect in Silence of the Lambs.
That has become such a cliche that when you see that setup, you know they are in the wrong place.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
Somebody used that flashmask technology to rob a bank on Hawaii Five-0 a few months ago, so it's not exactly futuristic.
In the CCTV world these things really exist. However they are really just crystals that reflect back Infra Red light (Used on CCTV cameras at night only)

A common use for them today is hanging them around your swimming pool so your nosy neighbor can't watch you at night on his security cameras.

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
In the CCTV world these things really exist. However they are really just crystals that reflect back Infra Red light (Used on CCTV cameras at night only)
While there may be "crystals" sold that purport to do that, they would not be very effective.

There are retroreflector mirrors (basically the inside corner of a cube with surfaces mirror coated) that will reflect light back towards the source, but they would not be effective against most surveillance cameras since most cameras do not emit any light of their own.

What might be effective is wearing a strong IR emitter -- either an IR LED or IR laser with diffuser, with a wavelength in the near-IR spectrum (say, 800-1000nm) so that it is not visible to human eyes but is strong enough to saturate the camera. The trick would be for your emitter to have as much light as possible around 800nm, since the spectrum visible to humans ends around 700-750nm, and a good visible-light surveillance camera is likely to have a filter that cuts out most of the light beyond 800nm. Such a technique would be much more effective against a night-vision IR camera, but that is not what we had in this episode.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
That has become such a cliche that when you see that setup, you know they are in the wrong place.
Yeah, but you rarely see it juxtaposed with skin-harvesting, which makes it almost an homage.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah, seen it used fairly frequently on Criminal Minds and Castle.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
danterner
Not it!

According to a tweet from the showrunner, FOX is definitely airing these out of the intended order (and there's another out of order one coming up next week). He said that if they continue to do this beyond the first seven episodes, there will start to be story repercussions but that it's mostly okay for the first seven (so it sounds like it will be getting pretty serialized, which is a good thing in my book). I also read, from someone on the crew, that they had to go back and reshoot a few scenes for episode 2 (which has not aired yet) to allow it to make more sense given the order that it is being aired.

On the one hand, I can understand why a network would want to put certain episodes first - lead with your best foot and all that. On the other, it pisses me off to no end when network executives take scissors and tape to a work of art, cut it up, rearrange the pieces, and say "there - it will work better that way."
| Twitter:
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Leave it to the networks to get the sexbots out in front!!
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Given all the "second episode is even better" reviews, I think they might just have been on to something.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real 1x02 turns out to be a relative stinker that they wanted to bury in the buzz...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm with the majority that ep2 (or whatever ep this is) was better...much better in my book. I was iffy on the SP after ep1, but I'm in completely now. Looks like this could be a lot of fun. I don't get the call backs to the other Sci Fi as I haven't seen a lot of those movies or have seen them SO long ago that I don't remember. I'm getting a bit of a Fringe vibe (good thing).
Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I notice they're running eps. 5-7 in the 2-4 slots. I bet it took a few weeks for the show to find its way, and Fox didn't want to risk ruining it by having several weaker episodes up front...once a new show loses viewers, it almost never gets them back.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
laria
Librocubicularist

I am really liking this show. I was a little worried about it since it was supposed to premiere SO late, and then we were inundated with commercials for it during the WS, and then they pushed it back even more. But so far I am really digging it.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I think I might have liked the first one better, but it's not a strong preference either way. This might be a case where they meddled appropriately. Just like with Firefly.

Ah, dang, they don't have a ninja emoticon here.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Leave it to the networks to get the sexbots out in front!!
Was there ever ANY doubt as to WHY this ep was moved up?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Knowing the episode order is out of whack, I think I'm going to save these up where I can watch in episode order, just because.
FOX is not going to dictate how I watch TV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Ereth

I have put off watching this, fearing it would be awful.

Now I'm addicted. This show really grabs me, though I can't explain why.

My Hopper designated this as episode 3, and I came here to see how I missed episode 2, so thanks for the explanation about the out-of-order airing. That helps.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
rhuntington3
Howdy!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm definitely digging the show so far!

Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is online now   Reply With Quote