TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
kbmb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 802
Couple of Roamio Basic questions

My parents have two TivoHDs in the house (both hardwired to the router) and I'm thinking of upgrading them for Christmas this year.

Trying to decide between getting two Roamio Plus models, or two Roamio Basic models + one Tivo Stream. They don't really need to have the ability to record 12 shows at once in the house

Couple of questions.....I have a single Roamio Plus and love it:

1) Are the Roamio Basic models crippled in any way performance wise? Speed of the menus, channel changing, Netflix and other apps etc compared to the Plus?

2) How reliable is the Tivo Stream? I've read mixed reviews where some people have lots of issues because it's a separate box (lost connectivity etc) whereas the Roamio Plus has is built it.

3) Having two Basic units and one Stream - they can both stream something off each unit at the same time correct?

4) The Stream can be placed anywhere on the wired network and work correct?

5) If you had one Roamio Basic and one Roamio Plus in the house....the Stream built into the Plus can't stream shows from the Roamio Basic correct?


Thanks!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,526
1. Performance-wise, they're the same thing. The Basic lacks the integrated iDevice streaming, integrated MoCA, touch-sensitive faceplate on the box, and no component cable support (must be HDMI or a breakout composite cable).

2. I guess this is hit and miss. Mine has been pretty reliable. I can't speak for everybody though.

3. Correct. Up to 4 simultaneous streams total are supported.

4. Correct.

5. The Plus's integrated stream WILL stream from the Basic Roamio too.

Do they need 2 DVRs? Might a Mini be suitable for one of the rooms? Just asking out of nosey curiosity.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
AdamNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dunellen, NJ
Posts: 316
I would also say you are better off with a Roamio Plus and a Mini to replace the current setup. You already have wired ethernet in both locations and they will only need one cablecard.
__________________
Roamio Pro, wired ethernet
Mini using MOCA (from the Pro)

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
kbmb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
1. Performance-wise, they're the same thing. The Basic lacks the integrated iDevice streaming, integrated MoCA, touch-sensitive faceplate on the box, and no component cable support (must be HDMI or a breakout composite cable).

2. I guess this is hit and miss. Mine has been pretty reliable. I can't speak for everybody though.

3. Correct. Up to 4 simultaneous streams total are supported.

4. Correct.

5. The Plus's integrated stream WILL stream from the Basic Roamio too.

Do they need 2 DVRs? Might a Mini be suitable for one of the rooms? Just asking out of nosey curiosity.
This is awesome thank you.

Yeah, they don't need MoCA, component or the touch faceplate.

So just having the Plus on the network, it will allow multiple streams from both itself and a Basic also on the network? It's not limited right, meaning they could both stream a show from each device (Plus and Basic) at the same time?

There is one GIGANTIC reason they need two Tivo's.....my Mom can't stand my Dad's tidy-up habit. He has a clean problem......he always has to have his Tivo list cleaned after watching a show.....he can't stand having shows on there that he's already seen. So they really do need separate Tivos. I mean...thank God for Netflix profiles!!! Because before that it was torture for my Mom.....he'd always be deleting stuff on her, and let's face it....you don't change old folks habits right

So now that the Plus could stream the Basic......I guess the question is.....go with 2 Basic's and a stream? Or a Plus and a Basic?

Right now on Amazon you can get the Basic for $150 and the Stream for $90. The Plus is still $395 (although I could get a $50 Best Buy card if ordering from there).

So 2 Basics + 1 Stream = $390
1 Basic + 1 Plus = $549

Since they really don't need the extra space of the Plus, is there any real reason to not just go with the 2 Basics and 1 Stream?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
rsnaider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,627
The Stream will Stream from any box on your network, including out of the house streaming.

You just need to configure out of the house streaming on your home network, and then you use it to watch anything on any Series 4 or higher box.
__________________
Ron

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
So just having the Plus on the network, it will allow multiple streams from both itself and a Basic also on the network? It's not limited right, meaning they could both stream a show from each device (Plus and Basic) at the same time?
Correct. It's basically as if they duct taped the Stream onto the Plus. Works the same, as if the Stream box was actually there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
There is one GIGANTIC reason they need two Tivo's.....my Mom can't stand my Dad's tidy-up habit. He has a clean problem......he always has to have his Tivo list cleaned after watching a show.....he can't stand having shows on there that he's already seen. So they really do need separate Tivos. I mean...thank God for Netflix profiles!!! Because before that it was torture for my Mom.....he'd always be deleting stuff on her, and let's face it....you don't change old folks habits right
Haha, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
So now that the Plus could stream the Basic......I guess the question is.....go with 2 Basic's and a stream? Or a Plus and a Basic?

Right now on Amazon you can get the Basic for $150 and the Stream for $90. The Plus is still $395 (although I could get a $50 Best Buy card if ordering from there).

So 2 Basics + 1 Stream = $390
1 Basic + 1 Plus = $549

Since they really don't need the extra space of the Plus, is there any real reason to not just go with the 2 Basics and 1 Stream?
That cool Amazon sale really can change the equation. If they won't miss the things mentioned above, then 2 Basics and a Stream would be fine.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
nexusplexus9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
If you have BestBuy nearby. You can PM it to amazon.com price of $149.99

2 Basics + 2 x$50GC= $300, then PM the stream and pay with the 2x$50GB

Your total will be $300+taxes
nexusplexus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
kbmb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusplexus9 View Post
If you have BestBuy nearby. You can PM it to amazon.com price of $149.99

2 Basics + 2 x$50GC= $300, then PM the stream and pay with the 2x$50GB

Your total will be $300+taxes
Thanks. I did call and have BestBuy price match everything from Amazon. I figure with BB if there is anything wrong with the unit we can stay local and exchange plus I get the points

BestBuy's price match policy however does not include bundle deals like the ones with the gift cards.

So, I did get everything for $398.88.....which is pretty good.

I'll check on Black Friday to see if there are further deals since I can always return these to the local BB.

Thanks everyone for the info!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |