TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #61
tivogurl

I just bought a Panasonic 60VT60, and can confirm that this wakeup problem also occurs with this panel.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #62
gfgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
Similar problem here as well only much worse. I have my TiVo connected to my Denon receiver which is then connected to my Samsung LCD. EVERYTIME I finish watching a Netflix movie or a downloaded Amazon Prime show it goes to a blank screen. I have to switch inputs on the Denon to get it working again. I have to say if I wanted this many issues I should have just stayed with my cable box. Good grief do they not test their own products? I have a very common setup.
rcase13 I have the same setup as you: 2012 Samsung 7 series, Denon AVR-E400, Roamio Basic. And I have the same problem. My Tivo is connected to the Blu-ray input on my receiver (because I am short an HDMI cable right now because Tivo cheaped out and did not include it). When I turn my TV and receiver on (almost simultaneously), I can see and hear the Tivo just fine because my setup completes the HDMI handshake pretty quickly. But after a couple seconds, my Denon switches input to "TV Audio", which is my receiver's Audio Return Channel going to/from the TV. And of course I lose audio and video from the TV at that point.

The Tivo is sending an HDMI/CEC command to change the input to "TV Audio". I think Tivo probably did this in a futile attempt to reduce the number of support calls that they get from people who barely know how to change channels and are confused when their TV is on the wrong input.

This reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon I read recently. I forget what the premise was, but someone asked Dilbert if he could integrate something. And he said yes, but what an engineer can do is rarely what he SHOULD do...

The reason that the HDMI powered switch is working for some people is that it is probably ignoring or incompatible with the HDMI/CEC command.

The workaround for now is to turn HDMI/CEC off on your receiver or TV, or whatever device is switching inputs on you. This worked for me. Also if you can guess which input the Tivo is trying to switch to, and then connect the HDMI cable to it, that could also solve your problem. But, this is of course an unacceptable solution when it is the Tivo that is doing something it absolutely should not be.

Note that HDMI/CEC is called many different things (sometimes it is generic, sometimes it is a marketing term): HDMI Control, AnyNet, etc.

Last edited by gfgray : 11-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #63
tivogurl

I didn't know the Roamio supported CEC. It doesn't obey commands from my TV, for example, like my Sony Blu-ray player does.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #64
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Update available later today

I believe this problem will be resolved with today's update for Roamio:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511493

I'm very sorry for the trouble it caused!

--Margret

P.S. Love your Roamio? Enter for a chance to win $25K: http://sweeps.tivo.com/HolidayCash/
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #65
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Yay! I'll try it out ASAP.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #66
tivogurl

So far so good. The fix appears to work.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #67
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Today I had no audio after turning the TV back on. Not sure if was HDMI-CEC related but this is the first time I've had this issue. Turning the TV off and back on didn't help. However, when I pressed 'Live' to flip through tuners, sound came back on the channel. The Tivo was not coming out of stand-by and has latest software.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #68
DigitalDawn

I get this issue periodically and have had it with my Premiere XL4 as well. Just a quick channel up will fix it. I have no idea what causes it, but my guess is that it's an HDMI quirk.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
Somboy

I've the same symptom with my base Roamio - no sound when turning the TV on in the morning. The only way to fix it is to switch the TV to a different HDMI input and then go back to the Roamio. I think this problem likely started after the last update.
Somboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #70
gfgray

This update did not stop the Tivo from changing my receiver input via CEC. I still have the same problem unless i disable HDMI CEC on my receiver.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #71
gfgray

How about giving us a setting to disable this Tivo? Every other device capable of sending or receiving HDMI CEC commands has the option of disabling it.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #72
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's odd. Sounds like a bug. For now there is an obvious solution... always turn the TV on first.

I get this from time to time too, but it has nothing to do with turning on the tv first since I never turn off or put the tivo to sleep. I have to flip to a different input, then flip back.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #73
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I've experienced HDMI black-screen/no sound issues very frequently. I've always found some non extreme measure way to get the HDMI handshake to work, but it is a PITA, as I've found it can happen in many scenarios, with many different HDMI receiving devices (TVs, HDMI switches, and such), and I've not found a universal way to easily do so (or I'd be sharing it right now).

Currently running most-current software release (20.3.8...).
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #74
Xabanero

HDMI Connection Not Permitted

I've had the Roamio Plus for about a week and had no issue until today. I have been getting "HDMI connection Not Permitted"...flipping off/on. I activated a new Mini yesterday and it appears to be working fine yet when going to the plus it freaks out w/ HDMI issue. None of my components/cables have changed.

As I type now, the HDMI has started working again.
Xabanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #75
wildcardd

I get this on occasion as well.

My Tivo is never in standby.

I just go to turn on the tv and either get a black screen or sometimes a green flash/static screen will appear.

Sometimes turning the tv off and back on will correct it, but unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in always fixes the issue.

I also get no sound until the image appears. Recordings are not affected so it appears to not be a tuning issue, but perhaps a HDMI handshaking issue.

Sony Bravia TV
Tivo Roamio Pro connected via HDMI
Optical Audio out of tv to receiver.
wildcardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #76
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardd View Post
I get this on occasion as well.

My Tivo is never in standby.

I just go to turn on the tv and either get a black screen or sometimes a green flash/static screen will appear.

Sometimes turning the tv off and back on will correct it, but unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in always fixes the issue.

I also get no sound until the image appears. Recordings are not affected so it appears to not be a tuning issue, but perhaps a HDMI handshaking issue.

Sony Bravia TV
Tivo Roamio Pro connected via HDMI
Optical Audio out of tv to receiver.
I have exactly the same issues as you, Wildcardd. I also have a Sony Bravia XBR connected to a Roamio Plus via HDMI. It also happens sporadically when I use alternate HDMI inputs to watch a movie via Apple TV or blu-ray for a couple of hours. Sometime when I return to HDMI 1, the Roamio works and sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be purely an HDMI handshake problem, but one not experienced in any of my 4 HDMI inputs except the Roamio.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #77
wildcardd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I have exactly the same issues as you, Wildcardd. I also have a Sony Bravia XBR connected to a Roamio Plus via HDMI. It also happens sporadically when I use alternate HDMI inputs to watch a movie via Apple TV or blu-ray for a couple of hours. Sometime when I return to HDMI 1, the Roamio works and sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be purely an HDMI handshake problem, but one not experienced in any of my 4 HDMI inputs except the Roamio.
At least I am not the only one. Hopefully they correct the handshaking issues as I love the Roamio so far.
wildcardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #78
tbielowicz

I used to have this issue on occasion, but only when the TiVo was in standby mode. We keep it on all the time and no issues. This was a few months ago.

I haven't tested to see if it still exists. Maybe tonight...

LG LCD TV
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote