TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #151
MarkEvans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I've decided to unhook the xbox from my tivo premier for now. Two things are bothering me, their is no pass through function as long as the xbox is off and I don't want to leave it on all the time. Second, I'm getting lag freezes when I go from a recording to live tv. I'm sure that can get fixed via a patch, but the leaving it on function isn't going to fly with me.
Not getting the lag from recordings to live Tv, I have to say that XB1 & Tivo perfect combination.
MarkEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #152
speedz

Thumbs up They have a real winner here

I understand the concern about leaving the Xbox One on just to watch TV. I share it, but am hopeful as their whole "entertainment" approach to the XB1 design should have presumed everyone would have it on much more often accordingly...

I have not had any freeze or lag issues. I had problems turning it back on after on Standby until I changed the HDMI out cable to the one provided in the Xbox packaging as noted in prior posts.

I can rewind, forward, pause, change channels, etc. all via voice. For anything one might need on occasion, you simply pick up the normal Tivo remote and it works like normal too! I can even say "xbox turn off" and my receiver, tv, and xbox all magically turn off together..."xbox on" does the reverse as well.

It was nice playing Fifa 14 and having NFL playing at the same time on top of all the voice commands.

My wife is very impressed with this setup as well. Good plus

While it may not be perfect yet, this is a great foundation and I am sure they will fix most issues/concerns with patches in the future.

To clarify: I am using a Tivo S3 for comparison

Last edited by speedz : 11-25-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: noting Tivo S3 hardware
speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #153
gamo62

I haven't been able to get the control to work on the Roamio. I am using an RF remote, but it also takes IR codes as well.

Suggestions?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #154
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have 5.1 DD from my Roamio BAsic working on the input of the XBOne. The problem with the XBOne is the PCm output. It is not set to dynamically change based on the input. So with 7.1 pcm output selected, everything is output in a 7.1 wrapper. So 5.1 input from the Roamio results in two dead channels. Stereo input from the Roamio results in all channels dead but the FL and FR since no post processing can be applied. And this is also the case for any of the apps that have stereo or 5.1 audio. The only solution right now is to manually change the XBOne output between 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 depending on the content I'm watching so I can match the number of channels that the content has. Hopefully they enable the output to dynamically change at some point like it should be.

But otherwise it's certainly nice to be able to quickly switch between things using Kinect. Kinect has been almost flawless in my use. And the times it's messed up has been because I wasn't saying the full title name or I was try to say a command that didn't exist. Even when I turn the volume up way past a level I would normally use, I can just say something in a normal voice and the XBOne will respond.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #155
JosephB

Having the Xbox One on all the time while you watch TV is the whole point of the integration. Microsoft wants you to be able to seamlessly flip between watching TV and a game. It's so that if you're vegging out in front of the TV, and a friend hops on, you will be able to see and can join them in a game, etc.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #156
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have 5.1 DD from my Roamio BAsic working on the input of the XBOne. The problem with the XBOne is the PCm output. It is not set to dynamically change based on the input. So with 7.1 pcm output selected, everything is output in a 7.1 wrapper. So 5.1 input from the Roamio results in two dead channels. Stereo input from the Roamio results in all channels dead but the FL and FR since no post processing can be applied. And this is also the case for any of the apps that have stereo or 5.1 audio. The only solution right now is to manually change the XBOne output between 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 depending on the content I'm watching so I can match the number of channels that the content has. Hopefully they enable the output to dynamically change at some point like it should be.

But otherwise it's certainly nice to be able to quickly switch between things using Kinect. Kinect has been almost flawless in my use. And the times it's messed up has been because I wasn't saying the full title name or I was try to say a command that didn't exist. Even when I turn the volume up way past a level I would normally use, I can just say something in a normal voice and the XBOne will respond.
So, how do you manually change it to get DD?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #157
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't think I'd say "almost flawless." For example, it sometimes struggles with background noise, and lots of the apps haven't fully implemented voice control. I got stuck in a spot on Amazon Instant Video where I HAD to use a controller to do something. And the voice commands themselves are not intuitive... you have to actually take the time to LEARN what voice commands do what. It would be nice if they were more universal... I am betting they will work towards that.

My 2 year old has also taken to repeating everything I say to the Xbox, which confuses the Xbox. So that's great. But that's use issues, not their fault.

I definitely like. It interfaces well with the TiVo, the setup was easy, gameplay has been great and the media stuff has been great (though, the Amazon stream downgraded the video an awful lot for my liking) but it hasn't been "flawless."
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #158
Grakthis

Quote:
I've decided to unhook the xbox from my tivo premier for now. Two things are bothering me, their is no pass through function as long as the xbox is off and I don't want to leave it on all the time. Second, I'm getting lag freezes when I go from a recording to live tv. I'm sure that can get fixed via a patch, but the leaving it on function isn't going to fly with me.
What's wrong with leaving the Xbox On all the time? I mean, of course, you turn it off when you're not watching TV. But the design of the One is that, if your TV is on, it's on. This isn't like the 360 where you had to worry about heat and wearing out. It's specifically intended to be always on. Even when it's "off" it's actually just in a stand-by mode. Are you concerned about privacy? Is that the issue?

I've found that the power-on + login time on my One is actually almost IDENTICAL to the bootup time on my smartTV such that I never actually see the Xbox power on.

I am having issues getting my One to turn on with voice command though. I keep having to push the button. That hasn't been an inconvenience yet though, cause I walk past it on my way to the couch. It's just confusing.

I have not had any lag anywhere. Not sure why the One would cause lag on the TiVo.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #159
Anthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
What's wrong with leaving the Xbox On all the time? I mean, of course, you turn it off when you're not watching TV. But the design of the One is that, if your TV is on, it's on. This isn't like the 360 where you had to worry about heat and wearing out. It's specifically intended to be always on. Even when it's "off" it's actually just in a stand-by mode. Are you concerned about privacy? Is that the issue?

I've found that the power-on + login time on my One is actually almost IDENTICAL to the bootup time on my smartTV such that I never actually see the Xbox power on.

I am having issues getting my One to turn on with voice command though. I keep having to push the button. That hasn't been an inconvenience yet though, cause I walk past it on my way to the couch. It's just confusing.

I have not had any lag anywhere. Not sure why the One would cause lag on the TiVo.
I'm not concerned about privacy, I'm concerned about energy consumption. I'm also waiting to see that leaving it on doesn't damage the unit itself, despite reports of being designed to "stay on for 10 years." When I start reading more detailed data on the effects of leaving it on I'll reconsider my opinion.

As for the lag, it is what it is. I don't expect everyone to have the same issues but I know of others having similar problems. Like I said, I expect a patch to address these issues. I'm very glad your experience has been a good one, other than my concerns it has been for me as well.
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #160
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Well after a weekend with the Xbox One I am ready to share my experience. Overall the Xbox One is a forward thinking box with a lot of potential. There are some bugs though.

I have my system setup as follows:

TiVo Mini --> Xbox One --> iScan Duo --> Video only HDMI to TV & Audio only HDMI to AVR

Setup was very easy, I have some NAT issues with the XB1 but thats a different topic, generally I find both console to not play well with sonicwalls...going to start programming my policies for it after this post.

I turned on the surround sound option immediately, the picture quality and sound were great with my TiVo Mini, I'm still keeping my TiVo Roamio on its own input for the time being since I have come across a few issues. I did some side by side testing of the picture/sound quality and I really couldn't see it, I should mention I am using a iScan Duo which can work some magic in keeping picture quality top notch.

First issues: Sometimes the Audio doesn't kick in immediately and the TV Video signal will stutter when I first started using TV.

Second issue (and the worse): Sometimes the TV App doesn't work whatsoever. I get an error code and the app won't open, then every app stops working too: games, netflix, IE, really everything. The only solution I have found is to physically unplug the Xbox One, since turning it off just puts it in a Standby state. This happened to me twice over the weekend.

Third issue: Xbox Snap TV is great but I have notice some performance issues depending on the App you have running in the main screen. I was able to play Forza 5 while watching Top Gear without a hiccup. But when using the Avatar generator while watching TV in snap mode I had major stuttering.

These are some very minor hiccups though and the overall experience is fantastic. I will eventually plug my Roamio directly in once surround sound is out of beta and the performance is more stable. You get the sense you're a beta tester with the xbox one currently.

Other gripes about the xbox one but not about home theater/TV: setting up chat/game parties are not as intuitive as the xbox 360. Especially with Dead Rising 3, you have to start a party, then one of you needs to start a story mode, then you pause and invite party to game. This worked for us once, but then stopped.

Kinect sign in really needs to be in a bright room. When my gf setup her profile she was in a dark area on the couch, it was late at night. Now even after she was gone the game would sign me in as her when I sat on the couch! I ended up turning off Kinect sign in for us since the room just isn't bright enough for it to work well. The really annoying part was when I was in a chat party. I would be using a headset plugged into the controller but when it signed in my gf's profile the headset stopped working and chat went to the kinect/speakers. I would have to say Xbox sign in as Rhett and chat would come back into my headset. I assume this was because the xbox though she was holding the controller and maybe if she was holding a different controller chat would still come through my headset. I see how this is suppose to work but it just wasn't because of my kinect sign in issues. The xbox does know who is holding the controller and when you put it down (really awesome for battery life).

It's odd how the party chat is tided to the game your in. I need to try talking to more people at once in different parties.

Overall I am very happy with the Xbox One. I actually started regretting my PS4 purchase since I had no desire to take myself out of the Xbox One experience...its okay though I played my ps3 for naughty dog games and exclusives. I'm sure I'll play it when second son or uncharted is out.

the ps4 is the perfect ps3. The Xbox One picks up where the 360 left off and shows its ready to grow for the future! All of my issues can be fixed via software and its pretty clear how much room there is for the xbox one to grow. The dashboard could use more customization for example, I would love to make folders/Categories in My Games & Apps sorta like a Windows 8 Start screen.

I give the Xbox One a 8/10. All the groundwork is there but some polishing is needed. In 6 months it will be a 9/10 and in a year 10/10

Now I got way to many games to play: COD, BF4, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 on Xbox One. Need For Speed Rivals, Killzone, and AC4 on PS4. I wish I waited on NFS Rivals and AC4 and bought them on my xbox one so I could still use all the other features of the one!
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #161
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
I'm not concerned about privacy, I'm concerned about energy consumption. I'm also waiting to see that leaving it on doesn't damage the unit itself, despite reports of being designed to "stay on for 10 years." When I start reading more detailed data on the effects of leaving it on I'll reconsider my opinion.
When the Xbox one is in Standby it uses half a watt of energy. When in the standby mode that allows for you to say "Xbox On" it uses 14 watts of energy, for comparison and TiVo Roamio (base model) uses 14 watts of energy.

When the Xbox One is on it uses on average 72 Watts. When playing a game is 120 watts, a blu ray playback is 80 watts. Watching TV is around 72.

So lets figure you watch 5 hours of TV a Day and paying .25 cents per KiloWatt Hour. Your cost of using the xbox one with it would be $32.85 a year.

0.075 Watts × 5 hours = 0.375 kWh (kiloWatt-hour) of energy.

0.375 kWh × $0.25f/kWh = $0.09

0.09 x 365 days = $32.85

A TiVo Roamio cost $7.3 a year to run.

So you're looking at $40.15 a year if you're watching 5 hours of TV/Xbox One every day. Not to shabby if you ask me.

Last edited by rhettf : 11-25-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #162
Warp

Quote:
I have a Kill-a-Watt power meter. I'll see if I can find time to hook the Xbox One up through it tonight and get power usage numbers in various scenarios (e.g. when the Xbox is in standby, when it's playing a game, when it's just passing through TV).

The power usage concern is probably valid. Not so much for when you're watching TV, but for the standby power usage (our Xbox will be in standby something like 20-22 hours per day on average).

I wouldn't worry about any ill effects on the hardware from leaving the Xbox on. It really is designed to be used that way. And have you seen the vents on this thing and size of the fan that's inside (see the iFixit teardown)? Cooling for the Xbox one is not going to be a problem. Not to mention that the unit is nearly silent. Large fans have real advantages.
Roamio base model since Aug. 2013
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #163
Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
When the Xbox one is in Standby it uses half a watt of energy. When in the standby mode that allows for you to say "Xbox On" it uses 14 watts of energy, for comparison and TiVo Roamio (base model) uses 14 watts of energy.

When the Xbox One is on it uses on average 72 Watts. When playing a game is 120 watts, a blu ray playback is 80 watts. Watching TV is around 72.
I was going to hook up a watt meter and get these values tonight, but maybe I don't need to. Are these your own measurements? Or are they from some particular web site?
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #164
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I was going to hook up a watt meter and get these values tonight, but maybe I don't need to. Are these your own measurements? Or are they from some particular web site?
These aren't my own measurements, but you can find many articles that discuss the power usage. I found this one to be the best:

http://anandtech.com/show/7528/the-x...are-analysis/5
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #165
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I tried using the full power off mode and my one complaint is that boot up is sloooooow. It sits on that green screen for like 10-15 seconds, then it shows the XBox logo for another 10+ seconds before it finally boots up. With the other option it comes on in less then 5 seconds. I know it seems petty, but I set it to the fast boot mode just because I'm impatient and don't want to wait 20-30 seconds for the console to boot every time.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #166
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:

So lets figure you watch 5 hours of TV a Day and paying .25 cents per KiloWatt Hour. Your cost of using the xbox one with it would be $32.85 a year.

0.075 Watts × 5 hours = 0.375 kWh (kiloWatt-hour) of energy.

0.375 kWh × $0.25f/kWh = $0.09

0.09 x 365 days = $32.85

A TiVo Roamio cost $7.3 a year to run.

So you're looking at $40.15 a year if you're watching 5 hours of TV/Xbox One every day. Not to shabby if you ask me.
AnandTech measured the alert standby mode as consuming 15.3W, more than a TiVo Roamio Basic when recording all 4 tuners. I've been using it (with "Xbox On" turned off) because of the instant restart of the game you were playing; it's probably not worth it even for that and I may stop.

It's not the monetary cost, it's the pissing power away when easily avoided for no real gain.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #167
Warp

Quote:
These aren't my own measurements, but you can find many articles that discuss the power usage. I found this one to be the best:

http://anandtech.com/show/7528/the-x...are-analysis/5
Thanks for the link to the anandtech article. I definitely trust Anand's numbers.

While the standby number of 15 watts (for the fast-resume and voice-control power commands) is fairly high, I'm still going to use that mode. The ability to be fully booted by the time my TV displays a picture is worth it.

I'm also really surprised how useful I'm finding the voice-control power commands. There's something magical about walking into the room, saying "Xbox On", and having the entire system (xbox, tv, AV receiver) being ready to watch/play by the time I sit down on the couch. The same goes for shutting the system off. My Harmony is going to get far less use now that I have the Xbox One. Yes, I still need the remote for DVR'd content, but what if TiVo creates an Xbox One app that let's the DVR'd content play directly from the app? I'm optimistic that this will eventually happen.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #168
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I tried using the full power off mode and my one complaint is that boot up is sloooooow. It sits on that green screen for like 10-15 seconds, then it shows the XBox logo for another 10+ seconds before it finally boots up. With the other option it comes on in less then 5 seconds. I know it seems petty, but I set it to the fast boot mode just because I'm impatient and don't want to wait 20-30 seconds for the console to boot every time.
Wow! Yours is very fast. It takes about 14-16 seconds to come up from standby and the last game played starts instantly where you left off; from power-saver standby (an outstanding .22W) it takes about 50 seconds and the last game you played starts up from scratch. (That 50 seconds is 20 seconds slower than the Xbox 360).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 11-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #169
Coffee

My only thought is that it looks a lot like a TiVo HD.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #170
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Wow! Yours is very fast. It takes about 14-16 seconds to come up from standby and the last game played starts instantly where you left off; from power-saver standby (an outstanding .22W) it takes about 50 seconds and the last game you played starts up from scratch. (That 50 seconds is 20 seconds slow than the Xbox 360).
I was guessing. I should probably time it. I just know it was significantly slower from a cold boot.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #171
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
It's not the monetary cost, it's the pissing power away when easily avoided for no real gain.
I respect your opinion that there is no real gain, its great that you're energy conscious.

IMO it's not pissing power, the gain of being able to Say XBOX ON when I walk into my living room is huge. I have been dreaming about doing that for years. I'll pay for things that make my entertainment/relaxation center easier anyday.

What pissing power to me is using incandescents/CFLs when LEDs are fantastic these days. I went from using on average 500-600 watts (up to 1,300 if all lights were on) of power to only 40watts (100 watts if all lights are on). I have owned the same LED bulbs for three years now and they will work for another 6 easily with my usage level. Thats some real power savings! Which I don't even get to see yet since I live in an apartment that includes all utilities in my rent...it did make my landlord happy...
Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #172
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
I'm also really surprised how useful I'm finding the voice-control power commands. There's something magical about walking into the room, saying "Xbox On", and having the entire system (xbox, tv, AV receiver) being ready to watch/play by the time I sit down on the couch. The same goes for shutting the system off. My Harmony is going to get far less use now that I have the Xbox One. Yes, I still need the remote for DVR'd content, but what if TiVo creates an Xbox One app that let's the DVR'd content play directly from the app? I'm optimistic that this will eventually happen.
I like to think there will be many TiVo owners who also have an Xbox One.

Considering people can already make 3rd party network remotes, like KMTGG, if/when MS opens up the App platform to developers on the Xbox One we could see a great add on!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #173
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just timed it with a stop watch. Took about 16 second to boot up, recognize me and show the home screen in fast mode. In energy saver mode it took 1:05. That's a pretty significant difference.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #174
Warp

Quote:
I like to think there will be many TiVo owners who also have an Xbox One.
Interesting personal anecdote... I actually returned to the TiVo platform specifically because of Xbox One and it's TV integration features. I had previously been using Windows Media Center with Xbox 360s as extenders, but since Xbox wasn't going to have Media Center Extender functionality, I knew I'd need a new solution going forward. TiVo seemed like it would probably work well.

So far, I'm very happy with my return to TiVo. The TiVo solution is far better than when I left it a few years ago, and the TiVo is working well with the Xbox One pass thru functionality.

With the rumors about a more open Xbox One platform, where apps will provide a lot of media content (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu, etc.), I have high hopes that there will also be a TiVo app for Xbox One sometime in the future that will provide better integration between TiVo and Xbox One (e.g. integrated access to recorded content).

My only concern that this might not happen (at least officially from TiVo) is that in a small way, TiVo and Xbox One compete. TiVo is also trying to be that app platform, and provides access to things like Netflix. I think both TiVo and Microsoft want to be "in control" of the entertainment experience in the living room.

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next couple years.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #175
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
My only concern that this might not happen (at least officially from TiVo) is that in a small way, TiVo and Xbox One compete. TiVo is also trying to be that app platform, and provides access to things like Netflix. I think both TiVo and Microsoft want to be "in control" of the entertainment experience in the living room.

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next couple years.
Thats a very good point.

Apart of me wants to think they could at the very least support more basic support: Xbox TiVo brings up the Menu for example, being able to use the left/right/up/down buttons.

This is IMO the dream integration: Tivo allows the xbox to pull in all recorded shows info into the OneGuide, sorta like the iOS TiVo App. When you say Xbox OneGuide one option is DVR with all your shows, you then can see all your folders and pick a show! Man just thinking about that is titillating.

Xbox OneGuide > DVR/MyShows > How I Met Your Mother/Select 4 > Episode Name/Play 1

A problem with that is TiVo can bring you through the menus and they lose out on potential upsells on movie rentals and ad content...sure you can argue that you don't see those when you use a network remote already...but I dunno.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #176
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I respect your opinion that there is no real gain, its great that you're energy conscious.

IMO it's not pissing power, the gain of being able to Say XBOX ON when I walk into my living room is huge.
To each his own. I'm currently using Standby Mode on my Xbox for the instant resumption of the game that I was playing after a 14 second restart but I'm unsure whether its worth the savings of about 1 minute waiting so I may stop. I have "Xbox On" deselected because that's not useful at all in my setup. My Xbox is attached to the same television and AVR as is this PC, my TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, Panasonic BDP, WD TV Live and Roku 3. I switch between these things using a Harmony One; I have to have the Harmony in my hand in order to switch to using the Xbox One, so pressing a button on it to power the console up is no significant additional effort. Also a TV ad could inadvertently turn on the console (I've seen YouTube clips demonstrating the console following voice commands in a TV ad played in the same room). I do pretty much always turn it off with a voice command.

EDIT: I just timed restarting an Xbox One game from Standby/OFF with a stopwatch (restarting Ryse) and it took 20.25 seconds to get back into the game from Standby and 1 minute 38.4 seconds from Power Saver OFF. That 1 minute 18 seconds time savings is pretty compelling.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 11-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #177
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
To each his own. I'm currently using Standby Mode on my Xbox for the instant resumption of the game that I was playing after a 14 second restart but I'm unsure whether its worth the savings of about 1 minute waiting so I may stop. I have "Xbox On" deselected because that's not useful at all in my setup. My Xbox is attached to the same television and AVR as is this PC, my TiVo, PS3, Xbox 360, Panasonic BDP, WD TV Live and Roku 3. I switch between these things using a Harmony One; I have to have the Harmony in my hand in order to switch to using the Xbox One, so pressing a button on it to power the console up is no significant additional effort. Also a TV ad could inadvertently turn on the console (I've seen YouTube clips demonstrating the console following voice commands in a TV ad played in the same room). I do pretty much always turn it off with a voice command.
I have a very similar setup and use a Harmony 900. But I changed the method in which I interact with the equipment:

I have left my harmony 900 in the Xbox One Activity, so it thinks the TV is on. Whenever I start using my setup the first thing I do is say "Xbox On".

If I need to switch to my Playstation 4/Oppo I do it after I say Xbox On. Then when I am done I start the Xbox One Activity again and say "Xbox Off" and it turns off my TV.

All my other devices (avr/iScan Duo) have automatic power on based off when a video signal is detected. It than has a auto shut off 30 seconds after no signal is detected.

I just really like having the XBox One be the center of my experience and since 90% of the time I'm just watching TV/playing xbox games I have yet to pick up my harmony remote since I got the XB1, I do still pick up my TiVo Roamio remote though while watching TV through the XB1.

Having the xbox on in the background while on other activities allows me to say xbox mute regardless of what component I am using

What does your WD live do that your Roku doesn't and vice versa?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #178
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
What does your WD live do that your Roku doesn't and vice versa?
I like having this stream status overlay available when watching Netflix and the TV Live has it and Roku 3 does not. The TV Live is the single most capable LAN file player of anything in my rig other than the PC and it can play things that my PC can't. (The PC that I used before this one had insufficient CPU speed to play 1080p rips so I used my PS3 to play them via DLNA. The PS3 was incapable of bitstreaming DTS sound from files streamed over DLNA so I converted such files in MKV containers with mkv2vob into the same video in MP4 containers with a stereo PCM track; the stereo PCM track when received by AVRs would be seen as bitstreamed DTS. I collected a significant stack of these before upgrading my PC, on which I now generally play all video files, but that bunch of special conversions could only be played on the PS3. I was shocked to find that TV Live can play them ).

TiVo Roamio has replaced TV Live as my favorite Netflix player. It has the stream status display and is some orders of magnitude more responsive to commands.

I invested in a couple of half meter cables and an HDMI splitter to connect my TiVo to my Xbox One just to check it out the "watch TV function" and to have the capability but I do not anticipate using it much (the TiVo is on a shelf directly above the AVR and adjacent to the Xbox One; it's currently connected to the AVR with a 1 meter cable. I got the splitter but mistakenly thought I had a couple of short cables but I didn't so I'm waiting for them rather than use longer cables inside the cabinet). It won't add much that I'd find to be useful and will increase power consumption required to watch my TiVo by 60W or (probably) more.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 11-26-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #179
JosephB

Quote:
Interesting personal anecdote... I actually returned to the TiVo platform specifically because of Xbox One and it's TV integration features. I had previously been using Windows Media Center with Xbox 360s as extenders, but since Xbox wasn't going to have Media Center Extender functionality, I knew I'd need a new solution going forward. TiVo seemed like it would probably work well.
I have an HDHomeRun on the way that I snagged off eBay for testing because I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction. I'm thinking of setting up my Xbox 360 through the HDMI in port on the XBone and using the 360 as an MCE. This way I would have literally every single thing on the Xbone's input--TV, apps that aren't on Xbone yet (HBO), 360 games that I still play, and the Xbone itself.

Haven't decided that's where I'm going because I want to test out the whole Windows Media Center ecosystem, and how I want to run it without having to buy any additional hardware (if it results in me needing to spend $300-700 on a computer, then it's not worth it)

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #180
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I've read someone in AVS Forums say that SKIP FORWARD and PAUSE worked for him in the TV app to control his Comcast DVR. Do they work with TiVo?

"
" -- hookbill