TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
shymedq

why no upgrade program?

Why no upgrade program to upgrade with little to no fee for the romeo box I want? They did this for other upgrades.
shymedq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
MikePA1

How would anyone on these forums know why there was no upgrade program?
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

The hardware is already subsidized and requires a 1 year service commitment. They tried a plan a few years back where they gave away the hardware for free and required a 2 year commitment at $19.95/mo, but it wasn't very popular so they dumped it.

You have to consider that TiVos main competition is cable DVRs which typically cost $20+/mo to rent and only have 2 tuners, limited space and an inferior UI. If there were other standalone DVRs on the market then we might see more pressure for them to lower prices, but as it stands they're relatively competitive with their current competition.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shymedq View Post
Why no upgrade program to upgrade with little to no fee for the romeo box I want? They did this for other upgrades.
Well TiVo did give me a Roamio Basic for $175 and transferred the $6.95 a month rate from my Premiere to the Roamio. If they had not offered that I would have never upgraded my OTA Premiere to a Roamio. And on top of that they gave me lifetime on the premiere for $99.

I think that was a decent upgrade deal. I certainly didn't get any type of upgrade offer back in August when the Roamio first came out and I ordered my Roamio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
It is a little hard to tell what exactly you are talking about. But my guess is you want to transfer lifetime service?? If that is the case it is not likely going to happen & the only time I remember it being offered is with the release of the original Series 3. At that time the original Series 3 was very expensive and it cost a pretty good amount to transfer the lifetime service, I think it ended up costing something like $1000 total. I think the price point of any of the Roamios with MSD lifetime is a much better deal now.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
rpk113

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
It is a little hard to tell what exactly you are talking about. But my guess is you want to transfer lifetime service?? If that is the case it is not likely going to happen & the only time I remember it being offered is with the release of the original Series 3. At that time the original Series 3 was very expensive and it cost a pretty good amount to transfer the lifetime service, I think it ended up costing something like $1000 total. I think the price point of any of the Roamios with MSD lifetime is a much better deal now.
See, but you need to look at the flip side of that arguement.. someone with a TivoHD w/ lifetime will use it, and when the box goes kaput. Without any incentive (even $99 transfer of lifetime), i'll move to the cable dvr box. I get what your saying, but Tivo marketed their services to the masses needs to find a way to keep them, even if its not through recurring service charges (i.e. only hardware purchase)
rpk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
See, but you need to look at the flip side of that arguement.. someone with a TivoHD w/ lifetime will use it, and when the box goes kaput. Without any incentive (even $99 transfer of lifetime), i'll move to the cable dvr box. I get what your saying, but Tivo marketed their services to the masses needs to find a way to keep them, even if its not through recurring service charges (i.e. only hardware purchase)
I don't see how that makes any sense at all.

They lose money if it's only a hardware purchase. Why would they want to keep a customer that they will only lose money on?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
faerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Well TiVo did give me a Roamio Basic for $175 and transferred the $6.95 a month rate from my Premiere to the Roamio. If they had not offered that I would have never upgraded my OTA Premiere to a Roamio. And on top of that they gave me lifetime on the premiere for $99.

I think that was a decent upgrade deal. I certainly didn't get any type of upgrade offer back in August when the Roamio first came out and I ordered my Roamio Pro.
When was this? Our Tivo HD died yesterday and we're hoping to replace it with a Roamio. I was crossing my fingers that they would offer us some type of deal if we called today.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
Stand alone DVRs are currently a niche product and TiVo DVRs will never appeal to the masses as long as cable cards are required. More importanlty there is no reason for Tivo to do what you want as they would be loosing money doing so (they are not selling the hardware for enough to cover costs without service fees). That said the base Roamio with lifetime can now be purchased for $550 with lifetime (MSD). Which means that in my area (TWC) it becomes cheaper than a TWC dual tuner DVR in about 2.5 years. So while the masses will never be willing to deal with owning their own DVR those that are can have a vastly superior product for less money.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie View Post

When was this? Our Tivo HD died yesterday and we're hoping to replace it with a Roamio. I was crossing my fingers that they would offer us some type of deal if we called today.
This was a week and a half ago when I called and they gave me the deal.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
TiVo needs to make money, and not just to satisfy their stockholders. A corporation (unlike the government) must make a profit in order to stay in business. This same fact applies to all for-profit corporations like insurance companies, although many of those (and probably all large banks) are bloated with overpaid upper management.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How did you get them to offer this deal? Call and ask what deals they have? Or buy the Roamio separately, then negotiate once you called in to activate said roamio?

I'm in a similar situation. TivoHD with $6.95/month and a Tivo S3 with lifetime.

I'm looking to turn that TivoHD into a $99 lifetime, with buying a Roamio Plus (hopefully for *less* than retail cost) and transfer the $6.95/month to the roamio plus. Then I'd have 2 lifetimes and could potentially sell one of my 2 lifetime tivos (probably the s3 as I have to rent 2 cablecards for it, plus the power supply i figure eventually will go belly up based on the track records posted here).
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i've already seen upgrade offers in the discovery bar, and i vaguely remember an email, but maybe not...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote