TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
celtic pride

Any tivo users here use hdmi redmere cables?

Just want to know if anyone here uses hdmi redmere cables with tivo and a av receiver ,If so hows the picture and sound quality? I'm having my onkyo av receiver sent in for repairi believe the hdmi board is bad as i have no sound ,I have been using thick hdmi cables from monoprice and have been thinking of switching to redmere cables since they are so thin i think this will cause less stress on my av receiver,but i need to know if you guys like the redmere hdmi cables? thanks for any advice and recodmedations!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
WRX09MD

Here is the exact one I am using. I haven't had any issues with it for about 6 months now. My receiver is about 25ft away and picture is great.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
abckids

I'm using this one with my Tivo.

I have always used the cheap monoprice ferrite core cables and they are fine, but I decided to try a redmere cable the last time I placed an order. I didn't notice any really dramatic change, but the thin cable was certainly easier to snake through the back of my entertainment center! It looks good and sounds great!
abckids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
nws alpine

I use a 40' and no issues with the Roamio in 1080p/passthrough only mode. I have a few 3' as well and they are nice for cable management which is the only real benefit.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
celtic pride

Thanks for your input! I may be ordering about 3 of the 6 foot cables next week.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
SNJpage1

PC Mag did a comparison test a few years back and saw no difference between the high end $80 cables and the cheap $6 cables in their tests.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
SNJpage1

Celtic pride if possible post what the repair costs were. I have the same problem with my Onkyo. The HDMI ports will not pass anything over 480.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
HenryFarpolo

I am using several RedMere cables and I am very happy with them. They are thin and flexible. Great for tight spaces and/or long runs.

As others have mentioned buy the ones from Monoprice. Some vendors are offering thin HDMI cables and calling them RedMere so be careful. Here is an example;

http://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-6ft-...+redmere+cable

The RedMere technology cables are distinctive in that they are uni-directional and as you can see from the picture in the link from Monoprice one end of the cable is larger than the other.
HenryFarpolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
celtic pride

As far as cost go to repair my onkyo av receiver ,I pay nothing as i bought a 4 year extended warranty from square trade warrantys. But i have heard of people paying around $250.00 to $300.00 to repair plus around $60.00 to ship it to onkyo. This is actually my second onkyo The first one i had was the 605? cant remember the model# any way i also had a warranty for that one but onkyo didnt have the parts to fix it so they let me order a new onkyo which is how i got the newer model 809. for free, because it was the same price $699.00 as the 605. Thats why i buy the warranty if they cant fix it or dont have the parts for it i get to use the money i spent as credit towards another av receiver. I''m still waiting for my box to arrive from square trade so i can ship back my receiver to be fixed. or if they cant fix it i''ll use my $699.00 credit to buy another av receiver,If they let me order a different model from amazon I'm looking at the marantz ,and pioneer elite,and yamaha models. Otherwise i'm looking at the onkyo 818,828 or i think the 926? model.