TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Torino

online storage vs. home storage

I was thinking of setting up an old pc I have for Tivo backup. I have also thought of online. Who has used online and how did it go. I understand it can take awhile to upload big files. Does it slow your pc down alot while it is uploading?
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Storing locally is faster and better then in the cloud/internet. Also, you can risk losing them due to inactivity, lack of payment, etc.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If only we folks on TWC, or other systems that copy protect profusely, had this choice. And you better have a later model Tivo than a Series 3 or you will eat up a lot of home network time transferring shows to your PC. Although I gather kmttg can automate those transfers and take the pain out.

If you use the cloud, you better have better than average internet upload speeds and a high capacity cloud storage bin. If you store locally, you will need to spend some $$ on a raid system, or you risk losing recordings due to HDD failures. There are some members here with big RAID systems. I wonder if anyone is using the Cloud for more than a few selected videos?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
I was thinking of setting up an old pc I have for Tivo backup. I have also thought of online. Who has used online and how did it go. I understand it can take awhile to upload big files. Does it slow your pc down alot while it is uploading?
The best thing would be a PC set up near the TiVo with both connected by wire to a router.

If that router isn't the main router, look into ways (like maybe DD-WRT) to turn it into a wireless bridge.

That way you have the best speed between TiVo and PC (use NTFS partitions to store the .tivo files rather than FAT32), and same internet connecting speed for the TiVo as before.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
SNJpage1

One of the ways I now back up my PC is I bought two identical 1 Tb hard drives. I use one for my D drive and keep all my photos , music, videos and program data on it. Every other week I plug the second drive into a plug and play Sata port on the mother board, format the hard drive to wipe it clean and do a copy D to the back up hard drive. I go watch TV while it's doing it. After it is finished I unplug the back up hard drive and set it on the shelf. I did have it connected to my router by way of the routers USB port to use as a NAS but it took a long time to do it. The only advantage was I could back up my other three PC's thru it. However, the other three really didn't have anything that needed backing up since the music was the same on mine.