TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
DM3MD157

Question about MPEG-4 and TiVo HD

So I have been reading a lot about how the TiVo HD doesn't support MPEG-4 from the provider. Is this something one should worry about right now? I have seen some people say that their providers have switched some channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) over, and some have switched all channels. Do we have any indication that the conversion for most providers are coming soon? I ask the question because I just bought a used TiVo HD!
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No cable company in the U.S. has switched all channels to MPEG-4, AFAIK. You might be confusing that with stories about switching all channels to digital (but only MPEG-2), or about DirecTV (which has all HD in MPEG-4, but doesn't work with a TiVo HD anyway), or about New Zealand (where a variant of the TiVo HD actually does tune in an MPEG-4 lineup), etc.

But yeah, I'd be somewhat concerned. Name your provider if you want to see if anyone here knows specifics. There's no general move towards MPEG-4; no mandate or anything -- it's all about saving space, making room for more channels. (Analog to digital saved much more, while also improving quality.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
DM3MD157

I am about to get FiOS in Maryland. I won't be getting any paid channels like HBO or Cinemax, just the second tier channel lineup. I should have bought another Premiere perhaps. That said, I bought the premiere from the Series 2 upgrade sale last year. Any promotion like that around still?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I also have Fios in Maryland. Fios is probably one of the bigger adopters of MPEG-4 already, since they don't use switched video, and need the space. It's only a few channels so far, but there's some speculation that all new channel additions will be MPEG-4. Against that, they still have a large deployed base of STBs that can't handle it. So, they're starting with kind of "fringe" channels that are only in higher-end or specialty packages, or (apparently) are low-rated. Also, they're only using it for HD channels, most of which have SD equivalents.

Current MPEG-4 channels that I'm aware of:

[558] ES.TV
[596] Universal Sports
[597] World Fishing Network
[598] beIN Sport
[599] Cars.TV
[633] Pets.TV
[674] MyDestination.TV
[676] Recipe.TV
[695] Comedy.TV
[735] Sony Movie Channel
[744] MGM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 10-09-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
DM3MD157

I will be getting the "Prime" package from Verizon and no additional channels. So if that is the case, then I hope I'm good to go for a little while!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
teasip

You're good to go. I've got the FiOS Prime package, added Showtime only for Homeland/Masters of Sex, and a TiVo HD with cable card. System works fine. The only caveat is that you will need to pair the CC with the TiVo should you ever desire premium channels. For Prime only, you don't need to pair but card will obviously need to be activated so why not kill two birds with one stone?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Also, they're only using it for HD channels, most of which have SD equivalents.
I should clarify this comment. I meant that most HD channels on Fios have SD equivalents on Fios. However, most of the channels for which they're currently using MPEG-4 actually don't have SD versions.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
dcpmark

Quote:
I also have Fios in Maryland. Fios is probably one of the bigger adopters of MPEG-4 already, since they don't use switched video, and need the space. It's only a few channels so far, but there's some speculation that all new channel additions will be MPEG-4. Against that, they still have a large deployed base of STBs that can't handle it. So, they're starting with kind of "fringe" channels that are only in higher-end or specialty packages, or (apparently) are low-rated. Also, they're only using it for HD channels, most of which have SD equivalents.

Current MPEG-4 channels that I'm aware of:

[558] ES.TV
[596] Universal Sports
[597] World Fishing Network
[598] beIN Sport
[599] Cars.TV
[633] Pets.TV
[674] MyDestination.TV
[676] Recipe.TV
[695] Comedy.TV
[735] Sony Movie Channel
[744] MGM
Ok, this clears up the problem I've been having.....none of these channels work on my S3 or my TivoHD, but work fine on my Premiere.

So my only options are to upgrade both units to a Premiere or a Roamio, right?
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
DM3MD157

How can you tell that a channel is MPEG 4?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you tune it and then check the DVR diagnostics screen you can see what it is.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
So my only options are to upgrade both units to a Premiere or a Roamio, right?
Or just ignore those channels, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you tune it and then check the DVR diagnostics screen you can see what it is.
(Note: this only works on the models that do support H.264 channels. So if you only have a Series 3, and you're wondering why you can't tune a particular channel, but suspect it might be H.264, the diagnostics screen won't answer that.)

Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Oh yeah.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
JosephB

Someone mentioned that no cable companies have gone to MPEG-4, and FiOS aside, Cox has started rolling out some MPEG-4 as well.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
spocko
TiVo HD

Yes, Cox uses MPEG-4 for some channels in the San Diego area. They call these channels the "Plus pack".
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Someone mentioned that no cable companies have gone to MPEG-4
No. I said "No cable company in the U.S. has switched all channels to MPEG-4".

Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If my TWC would switch all channels to mpeg4 and do away with SDV, I would happily upgrade from my Tivo HD to a Roamio. But putting out the many hundreds of $$ (I want lifetime sub) and still having all the reliability issues of a Tuning Adapter doesn't cut it for me.

TWC couldn't have devised a better anti-Tivo tactic than the TA (i.e., SDV).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If my TWC would switch all channels to mpeg4 and do away with SDV, I would happily upgrade from my Tivo HD to a Roamio. But putting out the many hundreds of $$ (I want lifetime sub) and still having all the reliability issues of a Tuning Adapter doesn't cut it for me.

TWC couldn't have devised a better anti-Tivo tactic than the TA (i.e., SDV).
Strange that they seem to have problems, considering they are one of the companies that pioneered SDV. SDV isn't inherently bad, if it's done right. I have 3 Charter TAs in my house and no problems.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Strange that they seem to have problems, considering they are one of the companies that pioneered SDV. SDV isn't inherently bad, if it's done right. I have 3 Charter TAs in my house and no problems.
Not so strange seeming if you are a TWC subscriber!

and
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
bfwk122

Meg4 Switch with Fios

Quote:
No cable company in the U.S. has switched all channels to MPEG-4, AFAIK. You might be confusing that with stories about switching all channels to digital (but only MPEG-2), or about DirecTV (which has all HD in MPEG-4, but doesn't work with a TiVo HD anyway), or about New Zealand (where a variant of the TiVo HD actually does tune in an MPEG-4 lineup), etc.

But yeah, I'd be somewhat concerned. Name your provider if you want to see if anyone here knows specifics. There's no general move towards MPEG-4; no mandate or anything -- it's all about saving space, making room for more channels. (Analog to digital saved much more, while also improving quality.)
Right at this moment Fios has switched 11 channels to meg4 so far..They have intentions of doing many more...
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfwk122 View Post
Right at this moment Fios has switched 11 channels to meg4 so far..They have intentions of doing many more...
If mpeg4 channels mean you can't receive all channels in a package, don't the FCC regs require them to either give you a cost reduction, or a cheaper package defined without those channels, or provide hardware that allows you to receive those channels? I thought that principle was what led to the Tuning Adapter to enable TiVo's to get SDV channels.

and