TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #91
Dan203
Super Moderator

With a cloud based DVR they would have complete control. They could disable commercial skipping just like they do on a lot of websites with VOD abilities.

A few weeks ago I missed the last couple minutes of The Walking Dead because of a glitch on my TiVo. So I went to AMC.com to watch it. All I needed was the last 2 minutes. It would not let me skip the commercial breaks. And the commercial breaks were just as frequent and just as long as they are on real TV. So I had to wait for 4-5 commercial breaks, 3+ minutes long each, just to watch the last 2 minutes of the show. It was agonizing.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #92
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Running a 100 to 200 watt PC as a DVR (a new TiVo uses about 25 watts)will work, but has its own problems as people who have tried it will tell you. This is a DVR solution for very few people.
This particular problem is only if you're running hardware that's ill-suited for HTPC use. I built an HTPC with a 35W processor and a high-efficiency PSU that uses far less than 100 watts.

That being said, MCE is a disaster. The UI is terrible, it makes no sense, it's hard to use, and it doesn't have the features that TiVo does. Even though it's great in theory, I learned, after dropping about $1k on an MCE machine, that it completely sucks for a DVR. It was also unreliable, and would have random errors and crashes for no apparent reason on what was otherwise a brand new, clean machine. I still have the machine for playing back media, but it doesn't have a CableCard anymore.

Especially with TiVo moving to 6 tuners and having the Mini to create a true whole-home DVR system, MCE has nothing going for it at this point. It's dead. I wish it wasn't, as with some serious development and a far better UI, it could be a really amazing and powerful DVR system, but it just didn't have enough market appeal.

DirecTV is the biggest competitor to TiVo since they have a really neat whole-home DVR system, and since they don't support TiVo like cable and FIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Unfortunately there's no direct competition to TiVo, which stopped innovating in 2010.
This is also true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
That's fine for on-demand and streamed content, but how will that work with hundreds of available channels? Aside from overloading the available bandwidth, it will also put a huge damper on channel surfing, which a lot of people still do. Going to an IP-only based solution will likely mean long waits between switching channels which simply won't sit well with a lot of customers. It will also mean highly compressed content to cram it into the limited bandwidth when trying to feed every household simultaneously.
Well actually, U-Verse is IPTV, and has the fastest channel changing times of any major service in the US. Multicast allows it to work with the same (or less) bandwidth than regular cable. The PQ sucks only because AT&T hasn't built out enough bandwidth to the last mile.

Cable will take a long, long time to convert to anything. They, for the most part, aren't even using MPEG-4.

Cloud DVR systems can only work when provided through the MSO, as they require a ton of bandwidth. It's not going to work over the internet for the forseeable future.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #93
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That being said, MCE is a disaster. The UI is terrible, it makes no sense, it's hard to use, and it doesn't have the features that TiVo does. Even though it's great in theory, I learned, after dropping about $1k on an MCE machine, that it completely sucks for a DVR. It was also unreliable, and would have random errors and crashes for no apparent reason on what was otherwise a brand new, clean machine. I still have the machine for playing back media, but it doesn't have a CableCard anymore.

Especially with TiVo moving to 6 tuners and having the Mini to create a true whole-home DVR system, MCE has nothing going for it at this point. It's dead. I wish it wasn't, as with some serious development and a far better UI, it could be a really amazing and powerful DVR system, but it just didn't have enough market appeal.
We've already been down this road with you before. That's just your opinion and you're welcome to it. However, bashing a program simply because you had an issue getting it set up properly makes you a minority of 1. It also shows just how little tolerance you have for something that doesn't live up to your expectations.

The UI is purely subjective. In fact, you're the only one I've ever heard that has such an extreme issue with it. User Interfaces are like remote controls. You can never design one that suits everyone. Clearly, the WMC UI doesn't suit you so let's move past it.

I've built probably at least a dozen or more HTPCs with WMC using various mixes of hardware and software and only had an issue with one of them due to a faulty motherboard. I currently have three HTPCs that run 24/7 and they are 100% reliable and as simple to use as a Tivo for watching and recording TV. My wife, who is about as illiterate with technology as you can possible get, even knows how to use the HTPC in the family room to watch movies from my server and then return to live TV when she is watching the grandkids.

FYI, MCE refers to the special edition of Windows XP with Media Center (i.e., Media Center Edition) that was released in 2005 so try and get with the program. The correct name for the program included with Vista and Windows 7 and currently available as an add-on for Windows 8 is Windows Media Center. If you're going to criticize something, at least know the name of the software you're bashing.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #94
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
FYI, MCE refers to the special edition of Windows XP with Media Center (i.e., Media Center Edition) that was released in 2005 so try and get with the program. The correct name for the program included with Vista and Windows 7 and currently available as an add-on for Windows 8 is Windows Media Center. If you're going to criticize something, at least know the name of the software you're bashing.
To be fair a LOT of people still refer to it as MCE. I see it all the time on our forums and over on TheGreenButton.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #95
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
To be fair a LOT of people still refer to it as MCE. I see it all the time on our forums and over on TheGreenButton.
They must be friends of Bigg.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #96
Bigg

Quote:
We've already been down this road with you before. That's just your opinion and you're welcome to it. However, bashing a program simply because you had an issue getting it set up properly makes you a minority of 1. It also shows just how little tolerance you have for something that doesn't live up to your expectations.

The UI is purely subjective. In fact, you're the only one I've ever heard that has such an extreme issue with it. User Interfaces are like remote controls. You can never design one that suits everyone. Clearly, the WMC UI doesn't suit you so let's move past it.

I've built probably at least a dozen or more HTPCs with WMC using various mixes of hardware and software and only had an issue with one of them due to a faulty motherboard. I currently have three HTPCs that run 24/7 and they are 100% reliable and as simple to use as a Tivo for watching and recording TV. My wife, who is about as illiterate with technology as you can possible get, even knows how to use the HTPC in the family room to watch movies from my server and then return to live TV when she is watching the grandkids.

I'm sorry that I actually expect the interface of something to be better than Comcast's crappy DVR. MCE isn't. TiVo is far and away better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yup.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #97
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
For you maybe, but not for plenty other folks that use WMC. It does not suck at all as a DVR in my house, and my wife is the main user (I prefer the Tivo).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #98
mr.unnatural

Quote:
I'm sorry that I actually expect the interface of something to be better than Comcast's crappy DVR. MCE isn't. TiVo is far and away better.
I have been fortunate enough never to have suffered with a Comcast DVR so I can't comment to the UI. For me, I just want something that works and I'm not hung up on the bells and whistles or pretty menus. If the software does what it's supposed to do and it does it reliably then I'm happy. WMC works perfectly fine for my needs and has been extremely reliable by never missing a recording unless there were forces at work beyond my control (i.e.,.loss of signal or last minute schedule changes).

I seem to recall asking you for details about your setup in a wasted attempt at getting your HTPC to work. I also recall you blowing me off and ignoring any offers for help. All you've done is complain about a setup you couldn't get working and then declaring WMC to be a complete disaster.

I've said numerous times before that HTPCs are basically a niche product geared more towards hobbyists and tinkerers than mainstream consumers. OTOH, anyone with a working Windows 7 PC using the Home Premium version or higher can easily convert it to a HTPC by adding a tuner card. You could also just use it for music or video playback. The line between niche product and consumer appliance has gotten extremely fine over the years when it comes to WMC.

Anyone that can build their own PC can build a reliable working HTPC (seriously, if you can hold a screwdriver and install software you can build one; fixing problems and troubleshooting are something altogether different and best left to more advanced users). Of course, since it's a PC, there's always a chance you'll have some issues with incompatible hardware, flaky drivers, etc. Bigg just had the misfortune of putting together a PC that had problems from the start. He's more of the exception than the rule when it comes to HTPCs. Then again, it's not something I would recommend for your aging parents that aren't tech savvy.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #99
Bigg

I tried a lot with that HTPC, and at some point, I needed something that works. That's why I have the Premiere XL4 now. Even if it had worked 100% (which is should have in the first place), the interface was a disaster and didn't make any sense.

It was a BRAND NEW, completely clean machine and it had quite a few issues. There is no excuse for that. It has ZERO issues now that I'm not using it as a DVR. Gee, what changed? I'm not using MCE anymore for DVR. Interesting, isn't it?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #100
mr.unnatural

Every once in a while someone has issues with WMC. I get that. It sucks when it happens and I'm truly sorry that you had problems. There's usually a reason why it occurs and most of the time it can be fixed fairly easily once you've isolated the source of the problem. The thing is, it isn't usually WMC that's the culprit but rather just a bad mixture of hardware, drivers, and/or third party software. The point being, there probably is an excuse for what happened to your PC. You just couldn't figure out what it was and just decided to blame WMC for your woes instead of isolating the real problem.

Case in point - I tried upgrading a MSI motherboard with Windows 7 from XP and it totally flaked out on me. I'd get all sorts of blue screens and other assorted problems. I eventually succombed and bought a different motherboard and installed Win 7 with no further issues. Skip ahead about six months later when I tried reinstalling Win 7 on the same setup. This time it installed with no problems and worked like a champ. I assume that what had changed was that MS released Service Pack 1 for Win 7. I also installed upgraded drivers for all of the hardware. Perrhaps you had also tried installing Win 7 using the early version, which definitely had some issues with WMC and certain combinations of hardware and drivers. SP1 fixed a huge number of issues and made it extremely stable.

I'm no fan of Microsoft or their products, but Windows 7 is the most stable platform they've developed to date (I've only tried Windows 8 briefly and I generally don't care for it. They shouldn't require you to re-learn the interface from scratch, but I digress).

I use WMC on a daily basis with absolutely no issues. I've recorded thousands of hours of programming using WMC without missing a single show. I prefer it over any previous Tivo simply because it allows me to do everything from a single platform and UI. I can watch live or recorded TV, surf the internet, play games, listen to music, or stream movies from my server, as well as a plethora of other tasks. I mostly just watch recorded TV and movies, but you get my drift.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #101
Bigg

The system was clean except for basic drivers. I can't imagine how bad it would be on a system with a couple years of junk installed...

I installed it after Windows 7 was out for years, and I installed all of the update.

And even if it worked 100%, the interface is still an abomination. Yes, you can do anything on a Windows PC, but the keyboard/mouse interface isn't friendly to use at all. Boxes like Roku do it all so much better with a so much better interface. The only place I do like the HTPC is for playback of video files, as VLC will play back literally anything. Certain types of streaming video sites are also only available through a web browser, so if you can't find them on torrent, there's another use...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #102
mr.unnatural

Quote:
The system was clean except for basic drivers. I can't imagine how bad it would be on a system with a couple years of junk installed...
Well, most people that build HTPCs use them for a specific purpose, so they are extremely unlikely to contain a lot of "junk." You set it up with the bare minimum software and then you leave it alone. The only things I install are select Windows updates that I screen before installing. I will update drivers on occasion, but most of the time I find it completely unnecessary. If it ain't broke....

Quote:
And even if it worked 100%, the interface is still an abomination.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that and move on. It's simply not worth arguing with someone that's convinced the UI is that bad. Most people don't have any issue with it so you're definitely in the minority here.

Quote:
Yes, you can do anything on a Windows PC, but the keyboard/mouse interface isn't friendly to use at all.
There are countless possibilities for using a keyboard, mouse, or remote with a HTPC. I personally control everything from within WMC using a Harmony One remote programmed for a WMC PC. If I need a keyboard or mouse on occasion I use a Lenovo 5902. It's got a complete keyboard, sans function keys, and a trackball pad so it can be used with one hand, although I prefer to use two when typing. It has backlighting so it can be used in the dark plus it has all of the same functions as a standard multimedia keyboard for full transport control of the DVR. I only use it when I'm in the Windows desktop for accessing files and installing updates. The rest of the time it stays in WMC so all I need is a remote to control everything.

Quote:
Boxes like Roku do it all so much better with a so much better interface.
They're fine for playback of video files and streaming services, but you can't record with them, which is the one feature I use the most on my HTPC. I've used several media players and, quite frankly, I think the UI on the ones I've tried is vastly inferior to my HTPC and most other consumer devices I've used. I haven't tried a Roku box so it may be better than the others. It may be fine for you, but it's extremely limited for others like me. As to how well they work vs. a HTPC, I'll stack mine up against yours any day of the week.

Quote:
The only place I do like the HTPC is for playback of video files, as VLC will play back literally anything. Certain types of streaming video sites are also only available through a web browser, so if you can't find them on torrent, there's another use...
VLC is a fine media player and I do use it on occasion, but I personally prefer XBMC as it allows me to play Blu-Ray rips in full 1080p mkv format while bitstreaming HD audio in either DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD to my 7.1 surround system. I'm not a big fan of streaming services, mainly because they have to compress the heck out of the original source files to reduce bandwidth. Some also make you sit through commercials with no way to skip past them, which totally defeats the purpose of owning a DVR. I've got such a huge library of movies and stockpiled TV shows that I literally watch everything on demand.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #103
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Arguing with him about WMC is like talking to a wall. What Bigg says must be true for everyone because he says it is, and any attempt to show otherwise just results in a big circle of arguments.

Must be a nice fantasy world to live in where your opinion is the only truth.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #104
cncb

Quote:
Even if it had worked 100% (which is should have in the first place), the interface was a disaster and didn't make any sense.
Having said that I'm a little surprised you can even use a computer and post on this forum. I honestly have never heard of someone not able to "figure out" the WMC interface.
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #105
mr.unnatural

It's really not all that complicated to figure out. There are loads of tutorials on setting up WMC if you get stuck so there's no reason why anyone should ever struggle with it. The average person should be able to figure it out without resorting to a tutorial. In fact, the first thing you're prompted to do when starting Media Center for the first time is to run through guided setup, just like a Tivo, so I would at least expect some level of familiarity in that regard. Some of the more advanced features may require a little investigation, such as assigning tuner priorities to specific channels. I do that to make sure my main HTPC isn't tying up any of the networked tuners so they're always available to the remote PCs. There are websites that discuss various tips and tricks available to WMC users which a Google search would have easily shown with a little effort.

If anything, Microsoft dumbed down the UI so just about anyone could use it. It's hardly complex and definitely not the disaster that Bigg claims it to be. Apparently they didn't realize it was still beyond Bigg's level of expertise. Once you've set it up, there's little or no reason to access any of the more advanced features. I rarely have to deviate from the main screen except perhaps to manually kickstart the guide data download if I'm trying to schedule something to record that's past the end of the current guide data (it generally goes out to about 12 days, but sometimes less if it hasn't automatically updated recently).
Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #106
Bigg

Quote:
Well, most people that build HTPCs use them for a specific purpose, so they are extremely unlikely to contain a lot of "junk." You set it up with the bare minimum software and then you leave it alone. The only things I install are select Windows updates that I screen before installing. I will update drivers on occasion, but most of the time I find it completely unnecessary. If it ain't broke....

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that and move on. It's simply not worth arguing with someone that's convinced the UI is that bad. Most people don't have any issue with it so you're definitely in the minority here.

There are countless possibilities for using a keyboard, mouse, or remote with a HTPC. I personally control everything from within WMC using a Harmony One remote programmed for a WMC PC. If I need a keyboard or mouse on occasion I use a Lenovo 5902. It's got a complete keyboard, sans function keys, and a trackball pad so it can be used with one hand, although I prefer to use two when typing. It has backlighting so it can be used in the dark plus it has all of the same functions as a standard multimedia keyboard for full transport control of the DVR. I only use it when I'm in the Windows desktop for accessing files and installing updates. The rest of the time it stays in WMC so all I need is a remote to control everything.

They're fine for playback of video files and streaming services, but you can't record with them, which is the one feature I use the most on my HTPC. I've used several media players and, quite frankly, I think the UI on the ones I've tried is vastly inferior to my HTPC and most other consumer devices I've used. I haven't tried a Roku box so it may be better than the others. It may be fine for you, but it's extremely limited for others like me. As to how well they work vs. a HTPC, I'll stack mine up against yours any day of the week.

VLC is a fine media player and I do use it on occasion, but I personally prefer XBMC as it allows me to play Blu-Ray rips in full 1080p mkv format while bitstreaming HD audio in either DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD to my 7.1 surround system. I'm not a big fan of streaming services, mainly because they have to compress the heck out of the original source files to reduce bandwidth. Some also make you sit through commercials with no way to skip past them, which totally defeats the purpose of owning a DVR. I've got such a huge library of movies and stockpiled TV shows that I literally watch everything on demand.
Some people use MCE machines for other things as well.

I KNOW it's a bad interface. I was kind of spoiled, having TiVo as my first DVR (Series 2), but still I hoped MCE would be halfway between Comcast and TiVo, that shouldn't be too much to ask!!

Roku is so much better than the PC for most streaming, as the interface is really easy to use, the remote is excellent, and RF. I only resort to the PC when the content providers have locked down streaming so that it can't be streamed to the TV (except for the obvious fact that my HTPC has an HDMI port- who woulda thunkit?), so I have to use Chrome on the HTPC and a regular web interface.

I watch everything except sports on my schedule. The quality of VUDU HDX is visually imperceptible from Blu-Ray, and Amazon looks excellent. I don't like iTunes as much. It's shaper than Amazon, but they do TV shows at 1080p/24 with low bitrates, with not only look weird at 24p, but you get way more artifacts than at Amazon's 720p, where the bitrate isn't that much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Having said that I'm a little surprised you can even use a computer and post on this forum. I honestly have never heard of someone not able to "figure out" the WMC interface.
I figured it out in like 5 minutes. That doesn't make it any less of a complete PITA to use. It's like a dysfunctional Nokia phone. Click way too many times to do anything, with a UI that makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
Apparently they didn't realize it was still beyond Bigg's level of expertise.
I'm not an idiot. I got MCE up and running just fine. That doesn't make the interface any less horrible. I've built PCs, upgraded laptops, run VMs, installed ROMs on Android phones, etc, and I've seen my fair share of really crummy products. MCE was one of them. MCE's interface fell short of the Comcast DVR interface. Talk about missing a really, really low bar. TiVo's interface is by far the best I've used, although I've never used the DirecTV HR44.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #107
mr.unnatural

Quote:
I KNOW it's a bad interface.
Well if you KNOW it then it must be true.

How about we take a vote on it? Everyone that thinks WMC has a bad UI, please raise your hand.

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

It appears you are the only one with a raised hand.

Quote:
I'm not an idiot.
Nobody ever said you were, although you've implied it with almost every post.

Quote:
I got MCE up and running just fine.
Really? You seem to be the only one that has a problem getting around the UI and that it is the single most horrible thing in the universe. According to previous posts you indicated you could never get WMC working correctly. Now you're saying that it works fine and your only complaint is the UI? I thought I was the only senile person in the room.

I guess WMC really isn't idiot-proof after all.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 11-21-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #108
atmuscarella

Whenever we get into one of these threads where we are talking about "competitors" to TiVo it really boils down to what an individual feels it means to be a "competitor" with TiVo and to some extent what the individual actually believes a TiVo is.

Personally I would say there are alternatives to a stand alone TiVo DVR however in the stand alone DVR market place I would say TiVo has no competitors.

To complicate it further what alternatives an individual has also depends on where the individual wishes to get their content from, if the content is SD or HD, and if the individual is willing to look at used equipment.

I really don't think it is that hard for most people to figure out what their alternatives are based on where their content is coming from.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #109
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I really don't think it is that hard for most people to figure out what their alternatives are based on where their content is coming from.
While I agree in principle with the majority of your post, this part is where I'd have to disagree. I'd have to say that there is a vast number of consumers that have little or no knowledge of what a DVR is or what it does over and above what their provider tells them, not to mention general lack of knowledge of SD vs. HD. While they may be familiar with the name "Tivo," they may not be familar with the features it offers. DVRs in general aren't as widely known as other consumer devices, such as Blu-Ray players or iPhones.

I know that if I asked my 90-year old mother if she would like to have a Tivo I'd get a deer-in-the-headlights look of confusion. In fact, Verizon gave her a HD DVR when she signed up and she was totally unaware that she had it, let alone what to do with it. Once I informed her of what she had she said she didn't need it and opted to get the less expensive HD set top box instead.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #110
atmuscarella

Quote:
While I agree in principle with the majority of your post, this part is where I'd have to disagree.
My statement assumed they new enough to be trying to find out what the alternatives where. But I do agree many people know nothing about DVRs.

I helped some friends move from SD to HD last year (they got a 50" Panasonic Plasma). While both have college degrees and high incomes TV isn't all that import to them. They were still using a VCR a few times a week with analog cable to time shift. It really only took me a few minutes to go through TWC DVRs, TiVo, HTPC, On demand, & streaming video. They still use the VCR for some news type shows and on demand for some HD shows, didn't thing any other option was worth paying for and still get DVDs from Netflix even though the TV is connected to the Internet and has a good Netflix app built in. I honestly couldn't stand watching TV the way they do but it works for them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #111
mr.unnatural

I know what you mean. I can't stand the way some people watch TV, but it's clearly not as important to them as it is to me. I can't tolerate watching TV in a motel room unless the TV has been upgraded to a flat screen with available HD channels to watch. I have to bite my tongue when I go to someone's house and they're watching TV at the factory settings. The contrast is cranked to 100 and the colors are oversaturated, but they love it so I keep it to myself.

Let's face it, we're all TV nerds and we love it.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #112
Bigg

Quote:
Well if you KNOW it then it must be true.

Nobody ever said you were, although you've implied it with almost every post.

Really? You seem to be the only one that has a problem getting around the UI and that it is the single most horrible thing in the universe. According to previous posts you indicated you could never get WMC working correctly. Now you're saying that it works fine and your only complaint is the UI? I thought I was the only senile person in the room.

I guess WMC really isn't idiot-proof after all.
WMC is a mess. It's one of the few things that I never got to work 100% correctly, although I did use it for a little while. My point is that IF it did work 100%, it would still be a wretched POS because of how bad the UI is.

Quote:
While I agree in principle with the majority of your post, this part is where I'd have to disagree. I'd have to say that there is a vast number of consumers that have little or no knowledge of what a DVR is or what it does over and above what their provider tells them, not to mention general lack of knowledge of SD vs. HD. While they may be familiar with the name "Tivo," they may not be familar with the features it offers. DVRs in general aren't as widely known as other consumer devices, such as Blu-Ray players or iPhones.

I know that if I asked my 90-year old mother if she would like to have a Tivo I'd get a deer-in-the-headlights look of confusion. In fact, Verizon gave her a HD DVR when she signed up and she was totally unaware that she had it, let alone what to do with it. Once I informed her of what she had she said she didn't need it and opted to get the less expensive HD set top box instead.
As much as I don't want to agree with you, your are spot on in this post. Most people are morons. TiVo has a huge uphill battle to fight because people just accept whatever garbage their cable/FIOS provider gives them without questioning, when they should be look at TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
My statement assumed they new enough to be trying to find out what the alternatives where. But I do agree many people know nothing about DVRs.

I helped some friends move from SD to HD last year (they got a 50" Panasonic Plasma). While both have college degrees and high incomes TV isn't all that import to them. They were still using a VCR a few times a week with analog cable to time shift. It really only took me a few minutes to go through TWC DVRs, TiVo, HTPC, On demand, & streaming video. They still use the VCR for some news type shows and on demand for some HD shows, didn't thing any other option was worth paying for and still get DVDs from Netflix even though the TV is connected to the Internet and has a good Netflix app built in. I honestly couldn't stand watching TV the way they do but it works for them.
What amazes me is that people pay for cable, and yet don't have a good setup to actually enjoy it. I think people are getting HD now, and more people are getting DVRs, although a lot of people don't seem to use them very much. The one that gets me is how many people are using the puny little speakers in the TV. It sounds like complete crap compared to even a modest HTIB with an AVR and 5 or 7 discreet channels.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #113
Bigg

What also amazes me is how many of the hardcore enthusiasts on AVS have the cableco DVRs, or even worse, U-Verse's horrible service. Who would put U-Verse on a $10k+ projector setup? The only reason I can think of is that they don't watch TV and their spouse/kids watch it elsewhere in the house...
Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #114
mr.unnatural

Quote:
WMC is a mess. It's one of the few things that I never got to work 100% correctly, although I did use it for a little while. My point is that IF it did work 100%, it would still be a wretched POS because of how bad the UI is.
Quote:
I got MCE up and running just fine.
Your credibility wanes with each new post.

Quote:
As much as I don't want to agree with you, your are spot on in this post. Most people are morons. TiVo has a huge uphill battle to fight because people just accept whatever garbage their cable/FIOS provider gives them without questioning, when they should be look at TiVo.
So now you're insulting my mother? You really are a piece of work (actually, I think you're a piece of something else for that statement, but I'm trying to keep things civil). I never said people were morons nor was it ever my intention to do so. Saying they are just displays how intolerant you are of things you don't agree with.

The point is that everyone has different priorities in life, and watching or recording TV isn't at the top of the list for most people. Most of us here wouldn't use a cableco DVR simply because we want more from a DVR than it can provide. Others use their cableco's DVR because they just want something to record an occasional show and don't care about all the bells and whistles that come with a Tivo.

My brother-in-law is a perfect example. He's a professional musician and is pretty tech savvy. I've tried to steer him towards using a Tivo instead of his Verizon Motorola DVR for years, but he just isn't interested. It does what he needs it to do so he's perfectly content to keep it. He probably wouldn't get any benefit from owning a Tivo so I no longer press the issue. I certainly don't think he's a moron because of it.

We get the fact that you think WMC is a POS. Repeating it only indicates you are desperately trying to convince yourself that this is somehow a fact and not just your opinion, which is all it is. It's starting to be pretty clear who the real moron is here.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 11-22-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #115
HarperVision

Quote:
They must be friends of Bigg.
At least they're not friends of Carlotta!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #116
lessd

Quote:

What amazes me is that people pay for cable, and yet don't have a good setup to actually enjoy it. I think people are getting HD now, and more people are getting DVRs, although a lot of people don't seem to use them very much. The one that gets me is how many people are using the puny little speakers in the TV. It sounds like complete crap compared to even a modest HTIB with an AVR and 5 or 7 discreet channels.
There are not many people that are morons, just people that have different lives and don't watch much TV and don't spend time looking at all the options when it come to say the DVR, if somebody (a moron I guess) has no place to see and use a TiVo and wants to "TiVo" programs most cable co.s will take care of him, with on sight (free) service, something TiVo can't do. The people that are on this forum are not the average person as most do have a TiVo.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #117
Bigg

Quote:
So now you're insulting my mother? You really are a piece of work (actually, I think you're a piece of something else for that statement, but I'm trying to keep things civil). I never said people were morons nor was it ever my intention to do so. Saying they are just displays how intolerant you are of things you don't agree with.

The point is that everyone has different priorities in life, and watching or recording TV isn't at the top of the list for most people. Most of us here wouldn't use a cableco DVR simply because we want more from a DVR than it can provide. Others use their cableco's DVR because they just want something to record an occasional show and don't care about all the bells and whistles that come with a Tivo.

My brother-in-law is a perfect example. He's a professional musician and is pretty tech savvy. I've tried to steer him towards using a Tivo instead of his Verizon Motorola DVR for years, but he just isn't interested. It does what he needs it to do so he's perfectly content to keep it. He probably wouldn't get any benefit from owning a Tivo so I no longer press the issue. I certainly don't think he's a moron because of it.

We get the fact that you think WMC is a POS. Repeating it only indicates you are desperately trying to convince yourself that this is somehow a fact and not just your opinion, which is all it is. It's starting to be pretty clear who the real moron is here.
TiVo is cheaper and better. The only argument against TiVo would be that it doesn't support VOD in many markets/providers.

It's a clear fact. I've outlined it before it great detail. The UI is bad. Some people will put up with a bad UI for the hardware and software extensibility, but I didn't find that convincing at a time when TiVo was rolling out TiVo Minis that now work with my XL4. The case is ever tougher to make with the Roamio Pro and Minis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
There are not many people that are morons, just people that have different lives and don't watch much TV and don't spend time looking at all the options when it come to say the DVR, if somebody (a moron I guess) has no place to see and use a TiVo and wants to "TiVo" programs most cable co.s will take care of him, with on sight (free) service, something TiVo can't do. The people that are on this forum are not the average person as most do have a TiVo.
People who don't at least consider the costs and benefits of all the options are morons. And that's why the cable companies continue to make a ton of money off of DVRs that suck. It's like people who sign a contract with last year's cell phone... another really stupid move. They're saving <10% of it's TCO for something that's far less capable. Although it seems people are wising up to that one, as the iPhone 5c sales suck compared to the 5s.

EDIT: Combine posts
Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #118
yokito

Quote:
.It's a clear fact. I've outlined it before it great detail. The UI is bad. Some people will put up with a bad UI for the hardware and software extensibility, but I didn't find that convincing at a time when TiVo was rolling out TiVo Minis that now work with my XL4. The case is ever tougher to make with the Roamio Pro and Minis.
It's a troll. Stop feeding it.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #119
cncb

Quote:
TiVo is cheaper and better.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Tivo UI is atrocious. It is because I said so. I am one of the leading UI design experts because I've used a few cell phones before and my Grandma says I have an eye for these things.
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #120
mr.unnatural

Quote:
TiVo is cheaper and better. The only argument against TiVo would be that it doesn't support VOD in many markets/providers.
Once again, your opinion and nothing more. Comparing a basic 2 or 4-tuner Tivo with lifetime to a HTPC may be slightly cheaper for the Tivo. It's when you go beyond what a basic Tivo offers that a HTPC wins the price war. This comparison has been hashed out numerous times in these forums.

No third party DVR or HTPC will get you VOD from any provider so it's a completely moot point.

Quote:
It's a clear fact. I've outlined it before it great detail. The UI is bad. Some people will put up with a bad UI for the hardware and software extensibility, but I didn't find that convincing at a time when TiVo was rolling out TiVo Minis that now work with my XL4. The case is ever tougher to make with the Roamio Pro and Minis.
It's neither clear nor is it a fact. You've ranted about it in great detail, but that's all. Talking about it until you're blue in the face doesn't somehow make it a fact. Face it, everyone doesn't agree with your opinion about the WMC UI (and again, it is nothing more than your opinion and definitely not a fact). If you look back at every post you've placed on this topic in this thread and several others you'd realize that not a single person has ever chimed in to support your claim, yet many have echoed my sentiment. Learn to quit while you're behind.

Quote:
People who don't at least consider the costs and benefits of all the options are morons. And that's why the cable companies continue to make a ton of money off of DVRs that suck. It's like people who sign a contract with last year's cell phone... another really stupid move. They're saving <10% of it's TCO for something that's far less capable. Although it seems people are wising up to that one, as the iPhone 5c sales suck compared to the 5s.
Wow, I guess it just plain sucks for anybody that isn't you or at least shares your opinion. Frankly, I'm elated that I don't share your opinion because you're just another self-righteous A-hole that thinks anyone that doesn't agree with you is a moron. I don't think I could live in a world full of Biggs. I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that there's only one of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
It's a troll. Stop feeding it.
What can I say. I'm a compassionate guy. Even trolls gotta eat.