TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you ever tried using the Over The Air tuners on that TiVo?

Have you got at least one local broadcast station somewhat near?

Can you borrow a pair of rabbit ears from somebody?

If you get the same problem on the OTA tuners that tells us one thing and if they work flawlessly that tells us something else.
Ok - OTA antenna works great. Now what?
(and thanks in advanced)
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough joe View Post
Ok - OTA antenna works great. Now what?
(and thanks in advanced)
So there are no more analog channels on your cable?

And all of the digitial ones require a cable card?

Do you have an old VCR still hanging around, or something else that puts out an analog Channel 3 or 4 signal like they had to do back in the pre-digital broadcast days when lots of TVs had no input except the ones to the VHF and UHF tuners?

I have 652 that does great on digital OTA (which is one 2 tuner tuner module), and on the other 2 tuner tuner module, the cable one, tuner 0 can't lock in an analog cable channel, but tuner 1 does it just fine. We're still on analog cable, so I don't have cable cards so that I can test the cable tuner module on digital cable channels.

But I'm starting to suspect that we may be starting to see the capacitor plague problem manifest itself in one or more of the capacitors on the motherboard itself, which is going to be a few orders of magnitude more of a royal PITA to deal with than on the power supplies.

If you could feed your cable tuner a known good analog (NTSC) signal on channel 3 or 4, then whether you could tune that or not with one or both of your cable tuners would give us further clues as to whether to blame your cable tuner or the cable card part of the equation.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #33
tough joe

Quote:
So there are no more analog channels on your cable?

And all of the digitial ones require a cable card?

Do you have an old VCR still hanging around, or something else that puts out an analog Channel 3 or 4 signal like they had to do back in the pre-digital broadcast days when lots of TVs had no input except the ones to the VHF and UHF tuners?

I have 652 that does great on digital OTA (which is one 2 tuner tuner module), and on the other 2 tuner tuner module, the cable one, tuner 0 can't lock in an analog cable channel, but tuner 1 does it just fine. We're still on analog cable, so I don't have cable cards so that I can test the cable tuner module on digital cable channels.

But I'm starting to suspect that we may be starting to see the capacitor plague problem manifest itself in one or more of the capacitors on the motherboard itself, which is going to be a few orders of magnitude more of a royal PITA to deal with than on the power supplies.

If you could feed your cable tuner a known good analog (NTSC) signal on channel 3 or 4, then whether you could tune that or not with one or both of your cable tuners would give us further clues as to whether to blame your cable tuner or the cable card part of the equation.
Yea unfortunately, the analog was removed from our cable system 10 months ago. Sorry I don't have a VCR here. I have no access to an analog signal.

So basically I think i'm hosed on this one...

Any ideas on finding a new TiVo hd with lifetime. I don't need the cost of a premier or a roamio.

Last edited by tough joe : 11-17-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #34
HerronScott

Quote:
Any ideas on finding a new TiVo hd with lifetime. I don't need the cost of a premier or a roamio.
eBay and I think they've dropped slightly since the release of the Roamio's - $250-$350.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
eBay and I think they've dropped slightly since the release of the Roamio's - $250-$350.

Scott
thanks. checking it out now.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
Yea unfortunately, the analog was removed from our cable system 10 months ago. Sorry I don't have a VCR here. I have no access to an analog signal.

So basically I think i'm hosed on this one...

Just wanted to be sure you tried both cable tuners simultaneously, as in punch in a channel number, then hit the Live TV button to switch tuners and punch in a different channel number, so that you know each is on a different channel number from the other, and then go into the menus to DVR diagnostics and see what it has to say about both tuners.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #37
tough joe

yes I played with it last night - switch back and forth from antenna to cable, antenna channels worked good (a few couldn't grab the signal but that was more from my antenna placement than a faulty tuner.

Im off to ebay to find a new one - i'll just swap out the hard drive when I get it.

I want to thank you whole heartedly for your help.

Quote:
Just wanted to be sure you tried both cable tuners simultaneously, as in punch in a channel number, then hit the Live TV button to switch tuners and punch in a different channel number, so that you know each is on a different channel number from the other, and then go into the menus to DVR diagnostics and see what it has to say about both tuners.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #38
unitron

Quote:
yes I played with it last night - switch back and forth from antenna to cable, antenna channels worked good (a few couldn't grab the signal but that was more from my antenna placement than a faulty tuner.

Im off to ebay to find a new one - i'll just swap out the hard drive when I get it.

I want to thank you whole heartedly for your help.
If you are under the impression that moving the hard drive will move a lifetime subscription from one motherboard to another, I regret to inform you that it will not.

Product Lifetime Service is tied to the TiVo Service Number (the motherboard tells the hard drive what the TSN is, not the other way around), and begining with the 652s and 658s, this number is stored inside the main CPU, which is a custom chip with a CPU and a bunch of the video processing and other stuff, like what used to be on a separate crypto chip where the TSN used to be kept from the S1 to the original S3, the 648, and said CPU is, for all practical purposes, not movable to another motherboard of the same model.

If what you have is a lifetimed 652 that works on OTA channels just fine, but not cable channels, you could keep it, especially if it's the anchor unit for Multi-Set Discounts on your other TiVos if they're by the month, or if you'll need an MSD on a lifetime sub for a new TiVo anytime soon, and just use it as an OTA machine and place where you can copy over non-copy protected shows from the other TiVos to increase the number of viewing locations.

It has less value without cable tuners, but it's still lifetimed, does OTA and MRV, and has a good power supply, so it's not absolutely worthless.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
tough joe

Sorry I wasn't clear - I plan to buy a replacement unit with the small stock 160 gig hard drive (I never thought id see the day that id say 160 gig HD was considered small - lol) with lifetime and just swap out my existing 2 Ter HD with the new unit. Not sure what id do with the one that's broken. Probably sell it on ebay for parts - of course clearly stating the problem I have. Or as you suggest, use it for a unit to watch transferred shows...

Quote:
If you are under the impression that moving the hard drive will move a lifetime subscription from one motherboard to another, I regret to inform you that it will not.

Product Lifetime Service is tied to the TiVo Service Number (the motherboard tells the hard drive what the TSN is, not the other way around), and begining with the 652s and 658s, this number is stored inside the main CPU, which is a custom chip with a CPU and a bunch of the video processing and other stuff, like what used to be on a separate crypto chip where the TSN used to be kept from the S1 to the original S3, the 648, and said CPU is, for all practical purposes, not movable to another motherboard of the same model.

If what you have is a lifetimed 652 that works on OTA channels just fine, but not cable channels, you could keep it, especially if it's the anchor unit for Multi-Set Discounts on your other TiVos if they're by the month, or if you'll need an MSD on a lifetime sub for a new TiVo anytime soon, and just use it as an OTA machine and place where you can copy over non-copy protected shows from the other TiVos to increase the number of viewing locations.

It has less value without cable tuners, but it's still lifetimed, does OTA and MRV, and has a good power supply, so it's not absolutely worthless.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
tough joe

Hey Unitron

I just got in the new S3 - same model as my old one. I booted it up to make sure it worked and it works great. So I unplugged the new one, opened both cases, swapped the hard drive from my old (nonworking cable tunner) one to the new one. I also plugged in the cablecard before powering the new one up.

This is where I run into a minor issue. It sat on the "TiVo is starting up" screen for about 25 minutes. When I came back from jogging, live tv was playing nicely. But when I pressed Tivo Central button on remote, I get an erro that stated "TiVo has encountered a hardware error - you are unable to record or watch recordings until you reboot' Do you want to a) reboot, b) skip this, c) delete message.

I think I may have swapped the HD out in the wrong order... Any help is appreciated..
Old 11-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
worachj

Quote:
Hey Unitron

I just got in the new S3 - same model as my old one. I booted it up to make sure it worked and it works great. So I unplugged the new one, opened both cases, swapped the hard drive from my old (nonworking cable tunner) one to the new one. I also plugged in the cablecard before powering the new one up.

This is where I run into a minor issue. It sat on the "TiVo is starting up" screen for about 25 minutes. When I came back from jogging, live tv was playing nicely. But when I pressed Tivo Central button on remote, I get an erro that stated "TiVo has encountered a hardware error - you are unable to record or watch recordings until you reboot' Do you want to a) reboot, b) skip this, c) delete message.

I think I may have swapped the HD out in the wrong order... Any help is appreciated..
Because the hard drive came from a different TiVo you need to do a Clear and Delete to reset the hard drive to the different mother board.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #42
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Because the hard drive came from a different TiVo you need to do a Clear and Delete to reset the hard drive to the different mother board.
Ah.. Ok thanks. I post an update.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #43
unitron

Quote:
Hey Unitron

I hope you weren't hoping to save any of the shows on your original S3 HD.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #44
tough joe

Quote:
I hope you weren't hoping to save any of the shows on your original S3 HD.
I transferred them to the other units before I did this.

Worach - that did the trick.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #45
pcsmith811

Does the new S3 have 11.0m loaded on it yet? When I first bought the S3's, I had pixelation issues on non-broadcast HD channels - MTV, history, discovery etc. This was in late 2007, and was a problem for almost a year when one day it went away with one of Tivo's updates. (not after hours and hours of troubleshooting and dealing with Cox tech's until I was dead inside)

A few days ago, one of them got upgraded to 11.0m and is now pixelating again. I replaced the caps on the power supply last year as well as the hard drive. I'm not ruling either those out at this point, but since you had those issues that might seem to have come with the update, I'm wondering if whatever the issue was before just cropped up again.
pcsmith811 is offline   Reply With Quote