TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #301
overFEDEXed

Ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirsche View Post
Curious if anyone tries this and gets it to work? $150 Roamio + $50 BB gift card... scha-weet!
It's going to be YMMV. I read somewhere, that it was against store policy. The manager has the final say but if you buy a lot from them or know them pretty well, they might.

I buy a good bit of stuff from them, but I'm still cheap. Since they price-match Amazon, it makes it easier. I purchased an Xbox one, PS4 and a Roamio Plus, in the last couple of months. They might let me slide, who knows.

I'll try it this evening.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #302
eric102

Quote:
Curious if anyone tries this and gets it to work? $150 Roamio + $50 BB gift card... scha-weet!
One poster on the slick deals site said he got the $150 price match at the store and when checking out the gift card rang up automatically without asking for it. Good deal, very tempted.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #303
ktown.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post
Pricematch at Best Buy and get an additional $50 gift card?
I was able to get Best Buy to price match the Amazon price of 149.99 this morning and I still received the $50 gift card. I had no problem at all doing this.
ktown.ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #304
Cap'n Preshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacericg View Post
BOOM! This thread payed off. Just pulled the trigger myself.
Just pulled the same trigger except added the TIVO Mini for $86 addt'l
Anxious now to see what sort of deal TIVO can offer me on my (current) lifetime sub. We have 2 TIVO Premiere's both w/lifetime. Plan on keeping one of the Premiere's. The new Roamio will replace the other one and the Mini will replace a (real POS) Comcast HD box in the guest BR. Will definitely add lifetime sub to the Mini. Hoping TIVO will make me a deal.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #305
iWish

ABT Price Match

Just received a Tivo Roamio from ABT for $169.99.

Called to get the $150 price match.

No hesitation from ABT.

Highly recommend ABT for avoiding Amazon tax in CA and great customer service!
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #306
cbrrider

Yesterday, I saw the Roamio Plus for $349 at the Almaden Costco in San Jose, CA.
DSR6000
DSR7000
HDVR2 x 2
Roamio Plus Lifetime
cbrrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #307
soobaerodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post
Just received a Tivo Roamio from ABT for $169.99.

Called to get the $150 price match.

No hesitation from ABT.

Highly recommend ABT for avoiding Amazon tax in CA and great customer service!
Same for me. Instant pricematch over chat.
soobaerodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #308
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
Just pulled the same trigger except added the TIVO Mini for $86 addt'l
Anxious now to see what sort of deal TIVO can offer me on my (current) lifetime sub. We have 2 TIVO Premiere's both w/lifetime. Plan on keeping one of the Premiere's. The new Roamio will replace the other one and the Mini will replace a (real POS) Comcast HD box in the guest BR. Will definitely add lifetime sub to the Mini. Hoping TIVO will make me a deal.
If the Premiere's are more than 3 years old, they'll offer $99.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #309
en sabur nur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I want this too (for use with Premieres/HDs), but am having a hard time finding them.

I managed to get the WNDR3800 Netgear router with all the TiVo features, after it was discontinued, but while still available from Newegg. Netgear doesn't even offer support for it anymore, and I just bought it.

I couldn't find any of the Netgear NAS standalone (no PC required) devices with the same TiVo extras. Anything 64-bit won't work, and just like the router, it's not like there were a lot of products released with the TiVo specific functions.

It may be that anything works with a Roamio (for all I know), but older TiVo platforms seem to have not ended up being worthy of the NAS manufacturers building in standalone TiVo support for, or just turned out to be non-profitable.
The newest ones (they came on the market earlier this year) still have the Tivo app. They're on Amazon.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #310
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown.ee View Post
I was able to get Best Buy to price match the Amazon price of 149.99 this morning and I still received the $50 gift card. I had no problem at all doing this.
I caved in and just picked one up also, used a $5 rewards point card BB sent me for no apparent reason (hadn't bought anything there for 3 or 4 months) so I'm in for $95 plus tax.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #311
bern43

Just called back to get the 99 lifetime on my premiere if I buy the Roamio with lifetime also and now CS is telling me that they can only offer me the $199 lifetime for my premiere. Sort of ridiculous that you have to play CS roulette with them. Guess I should have jumped on it yesterday when I spoke with them. Minus one for TIVO.
bern43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #312
tamathat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
I caved in and just picked one up also, used a $5 rewards point card BB sent me for no apparent reason (hadn't bought anything there for 3 or 4 months) so I'm in for $95 plus tax.
SWEET! Gonna try tonight!

I called TIVO last month and got them to put on my notes that if I upgrade to Roamio they will honor $199 lifetime on my 2 premieres.
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #313
videojanitor

Nice. I believe they price-match during the exchange/return period, so I will heading over to BB soon with my receipt to claim my fifty bucks! Already got the gift card at the time of purchase ...
videojanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #314
waterchange

Quote:
The thing that got me wondering about the $149.99 amazon deal, was the "List Price", which was $199.99.

Isn't the list price $299.99, or did TiVo lower it?
Base Roamio list price has always been $199. $399 for the Plus, $599 for the Pro.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #315
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
Base Roamio list price has always been $199. $399 for the Plus, $599 for the Pro.
Then the "deal" offered on my Premiere screen, from TiVo, is no deal, at all.

It would be full price base Roamio, full price LT Service, plus sales tax.

Has anybody bought multiple TiVos, from Best Buy, with Price-Match? What are the limitations, should I choose to walk into Best Buy and get multiple TiVos and hopefully multiple gift cards?

I know they have their store policies online, but that's a LOT of reading, to find what they may, or may not be enforcing, which this thread kind of shows a YMMV situation about.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-21-2013 at 02:04 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #316
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
Nice. I believe they price-match during the exchange/return period, so I will heading over to BB soon with my receipt to claim my fifty bucks! Already got the gift card at the time of purchase ...
No, they pricematch themselves within the return period. You can sometimes argue with them that you can just return and rebuy with a pricematch to get them to help you out. But their policy is to not post-purchase pricematch competitors.
Quote:
Has anybody bought multiple TiVos, from Best Buy, with Price-Match? What are the limitations, should I choose to walk into Best Buy and get multiple TiVos and hopefully multiple gift cards?

I know they have their store policies online, but that's a LOT of reading, to find what they may, or may not be enforcing, which this thread kind of shows a YMMV situation about.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-...at297300050000

2 paragraphs is 'a LOT of reading'?
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #317
jhirsche

Tried to get the deal at the local BB last night, and the manager wouldn't budge. Basically, $150 on the Roamio, but would not include the $50 GC. Going to try online next, and if they won't move, then on to another local store branch.
jhirsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #318
tamathat

I walked in to my local Best Buy with the amazon print out.. They honored amazon.com price with no issues, she did verify that it was amazon as the seller and not a third party and that there was no shipping charge. The manager was called over to perform a register override and mentioned that I wouldn't be offered the gift card since I was price matching, I smiled and responded, "well let's just see if the register agrees with you." Once she keyed in the override the register prompted the sales girl to scan the gift card for the $50 promotion automatically. The manager looked at me and said "it must be your lucky day." I just smiled, thankfully the information from this forum allowed me to be a little smug.

I see no problem with buying multiple tivos with the price match and getting multiple gift cards. My Best buy actually had about 8 tivo roamios on the shelf with tells me they anticipated the sales because since the release there have only been 1-2 on the shelf at any one time.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #319
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
No, they pricematch themselves within the return period. You can sometimes argue with them that you can just return and rebuy with a pricematch to get them to help you out. But their policy is to not post-purchase pricematch competitors.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-...at297300050000

2 paragraphs is 'a LOT of reading'?
It used to be much more reading, and in much finer print, the last time I went looking into the fine print.

Nevertheless, I was emphasizing the YMMV factor, and looking for stores being difficult or easy, or "best approach", if I wanted to acquire multiple TiVos (and not necessarily all the same "item", or model).

The SARCASM was not necessary.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #320
tamathat

Quote:
Tried to get the deal at the local BB last night, and the manager wouldn't budge. Basically, $150 on the Roamio, but would not include the $50 GC. Going to try online next, and if they won't move, then on to another local store branch.
Try again, the gift card is done automatically by the register after the override is keyed in. Not at the managers discretion.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #321
Edvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown.ee View Post
I was able to get this as well, but the store only had one and I need to replace my second premier as well. I went to another store and the manager there said I could get either the price match or the gift card. So basically this varies by store and person.
Edvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #322
jhirsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathat View Post
Try again, the gift card is done automatically by the register after the override is keyed in. Not at the managers discretion.
Well, I'll go give it another shot tonight then! Kinda decided I'd buy in at $150, regardless of if a GC is offered...
jhirsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #323
RickStrobel

Anyone have a feel for any possible deals on a Plus or Pro for Black Friday / Cyber Monday?
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #324
eric102

Quote:
I didn't think this gift card and price match deal would last very long before BB figured it out, every store manager probably got a memo today.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #325
tamathat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
I didn't think this gift card and price match deal would last very long before BB figured it out, every store manager probably got a memo today.
I'm sure in the grand scheme of things its just a drop in the bucket. The gift card will be spent on another item in their store allowing them to recoup their profit. I'm already thinking about buying another Roamio with the gift card I received today, that or a hard drive to upgrade.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #326
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathat View Post
I'm sure in the grand scheme of things its just a drop in the bucket. The gift card will be spent on another item in their store allowing them to recoup their profit. I'm already thinking about buying another Roamio with the gift card I received today, that or a hard drive to upgrade.
Yeah, I'll probably put mine into an extended warranty and/or mini.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #327
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I got this deal with no hesitation in Corona, CA, they never even blinked an eye at the price match, and the gift card should look very nice in an envelope as a holiday gift.

I dropped in a 2TB drive I had laying around, and now it is talking to the mother ship.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #328
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
Anyone have a feel for any possible deals on a Plus or Pro for Black Friday / Cyber Monday?
Probably not, but I just received a Weaknees E-mail. A Roamio Plus 3TB (same HD size as Pro)
Now $489.99
Use Code: RPLUS3
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #329
adaymerced

I got the Roamio Plus at BB last week using a $10.00 off coupon. Last night I went with my receipt and they gave me the $50.00 Gift Card. It took a lot of cash register jockeying on their side, but I just waited and eventually it all came out just fine.
adaymerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #330
gostan

Just received email from WeaKnees with early Black Friday specials. $50 off 150 hr Roamio Plus and $80 off 475 hr. Roamio Plus. and more, of course.