TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #181
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Just to add a data point.... we have had the Roamio basic (upgraded to 2TB) for a couple weeks and watch plenty of Netflix. Zero reboots.

We are connected to 30Mb/S Comcast via router and wired ethernet, if that matters. Netflix has been flawless.

We have had several C133 errors though. Never while using the Netflix player.

Paul
I got my first C133 error last night though I wasn't watching Netflix. I was rapidly deleting a bunch of stuff I didn't want and i think I got a little ahead of the tivos ability to keep up.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #182
hamz9561

The new app cleared up the video/audio drop out that I used to have on my Roamio with the original Netflix app that originally came with it.
hamz9561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #183
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
The 3x rewind is not fast enough for a 2 year old who is wondering why Tinkerbell isn't playing immediately.
I start the movies from my iPhone now and push it to the Tivo. Once loaded you can move the slider in 1 second to the beginning. Much faster than rewinding.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #184
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
I start the movies from my iPhone now and push it to the Tivo. Once loaded you can move the slider in 1 second to the beginning. Much faster than rewinding.
Manipulating the Netflix app on TiVo from the Android or iOS Netflix app via its DIAL support is very cool. You're right; you can instantly drag the little shuttle to the beginning of the film (jump to any arbitrary point in it). It also has the advantage that the tablet app has a much deeper browser than the one on TiVo (new or old), with tons of subgenres for each genre as well as lists of "titles like this one" for every title that you look at.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #185
NYHeel

I just had my first reboot on my Roamio that I recall seeing. It was from Netflix. My son was watching something and I was trying to get out of the app by pressing the back button and I got a black screen that I couldn't get out of and then a reboot. A little annoying as it cost me 5 minutes of 1 recording.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #186
kbmb

This new interface is junk. Why can't they let me get to a grid view of my list? I have to scroll endlessly in a single line to browse through my list? Fine, keep that for the main screen, but at least allow a view all for my list to be able to easily see things.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #187
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I just had my first reboot on my Roamio that I recall seeing. It was from Netflix. My son was watching something and I was trying to get out of the app by pressing the back button and I got a black screen that I couldn't get out of and then a reboot. A little annoying as it cost me 5 minutes of 1 recording.
Welcome to the Netflix Reboot Family. I can assure you that Tivo and Netflix are and have been aware of this vexing and persistent issue and are actively working to resolve it. In the process of doing so, the various Tivo software updates and Netflix HDUI releases have worked well for some but not so much for others. So, ignore the "I've Never Had a Reboot" skeptics. It is very unlikely that anything is wrong on your end. All the kinks should be sorted out by the end of the year including the return of profiles.

In the meantime, try signing out and back into Netflix. It might help. Otherwise, be patient....help is on the way.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #188
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Welcome to the Netflix Reboot Family. I can assure you that Tivo and Netflix are and have been aware of this vexing and persistent issue and are actively working to resolve it. In the process of doing so, the various Tivo software updates and Netflix HDUI releases have worked well for some but not so much for others. So, ignore the "I've Never Had a Reboot" skeptics. It is very unlikely that anything is wrong on your end. All the kinks should be sorted out by the end of the year including the return of profiles.

In the meantime, try signing out and back into Netflix. It might help. Otherwise, be patient....help is on the way.
Ustavio you've posted things in the past that point to you being either an insider or an apologist. Please let us know which. If you have inside info but can't publicly say how, a PM would be welcomed
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #189
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Ustavio you've posted things in the past that point to you being either an insider or an apologist. Please let us know which. If you have inside info but can't publicly say how, a PM would be welcomed
I get the impression he's gotten pretty deep into the hierarchy of Tivo technical staff after a lot of discussions with Support. But I'm just speculating.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #190
ustavio

Quote:
No I'm not an insider (I wish) nor am I an apologist (not even sure what that means). What I am is persistent. After spending so much for this Roamio, the one area that has plagued me since day one has been my inability to use Netflix without one problem or another. And reboots while using Netflix have been the most annoying of them all. I've tried a lot of the great advice given on this forum but the problem has still persisted. I simply refused to believe that I was the only one (or one of a handful) experiencing the same problem. So, by process of elimination (hardware, network, handshake, make and model of TV, etc), I ultimately felt it had to be either Tivo Software or Netflix Software or a combination of the two.

To make a long story short, I have bugged the snot out of Tivo and Netflix seeking a solution and have posted what I have gleaned. I have been assured that Tivo will continue to address different issues in upcoming updates (that information has been also posted by others as well). Netflix has revamped their interface with all platforms (not just Tivo) and is constantly making updates, tweaks and changes to their UI (that too has been posted by others). Both companies have been trying to accomplish a lot at the same time and (obviously) there have been many glitches.

In addition to being persistent, I am trying to be an optimist. Tivo and Netflix will fix these (and other) issues...and soon, because they must. It is in their best interests. Unhappy customers post unhappy remarks and write unhappy reviews.

Besides, if this stuff ain't fixed soon, I'm just going to have to start reading books again.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #191
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I get the impression he's gotten pretty deep into the hierarchy of Tivo technical staff after a lot of discussions with Support. But I'm just speculating.
Bingo.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #192
jmpage2

Has anyone found a work around for this?

My biggest peeve is that at the end of a program the window goes into a small PiP in the upper left corner and I can't find any way of making it go full screen again. It might surprise people, but sometimes I want to watch the credits, or there is actually an additional segment of the movie at the end of the credits.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #193
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Reboots

Hi all,

I want to reassure you that Netflix and TiVo are working closely together to address the reboots that some of you have experienced. I am currently expecting an update in mid-December that addresses some of these issues.

If you are a frequent user of Netflix and feel like you experience reboots more frequently that others have reported, I invite you to join the Beta program where we are currently testing the next update.

Sign up at http://fieldtrials.tivo.com and then send email to margret@tivo.com with the subject "Netflix reboot issue". I will be able to add a few of you to the program.

Best,
--Margret

P.S. Check out our $25,000 Holiday Cash Sweepstakes: http://sweeps.tivo.com/HolidayCash/
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #194
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does anyone know if there is an alternate to the now removed "play from beginning" option? If you stop a movie, show, whatever before you get to the very end (i.e. during the credits) it doesn't reset to the start. So if you want to watch it again you now have to RW all the way back to the start, which is a huge PITA. I found that if I use my iPad to do it I can drag the bar to reset it back to the beginning, but that's not always convenient. Is there some other way, a secret key combo maybe, to jump back to the start of a program?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #195
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Has anyone found a work around for this?

My biggest peeve is that at the end of a program the window goes into a small PiP in the upper left corner and I can't find any way of making it go full screen again.
Hit LEFT UP UP and OK to select the little inset windows and blow it up again.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #196
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi all,

I want to reassure you that Netflix and TiVo are working closely together to address the reboots that some of you have experienced. I am currently expecting an update in mid-December that addresses some of these issues.

If you are a frequent user of Netflix and feel like you experience reboots more frequently that others have reported, I invite you to join the Beta program where we are currently testing the next update.

Sign up at http://fieldtrials.tivo.com and then send email to margret@tivo.com with the subject "Netflix reboot issue". I will be able to add a few of you to the program.

Best,
--Margret

P.S. Check out our $25,000 Holiday Cash Sweepstakes: http://sweeps.tivo.com/HolidayCash/

Bazinga!

Thank you TivoMargret!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #197
anthonymoody

Thank you ustavio. Love your persistence!

And of course thank you Margret.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #198
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Hit LEFT UP UP and OK to select the little inset windows and blow it up again.
That was the thing that came immediately to mind. When I do that the rest of the screen goes black and the little window in the upper left remains. It doesn't return to full screen.

Seems to be a bug.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #199
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That was the thing that came immediately to mind. When I do that the rest of the screen goes black and the little window in the upper left remains. It doesn't return to full screen.

Seems to be a bug.
I tried it just before I wrote that and it worked perfectly well but now I try it and it's pretty flaky. It started out doing what you said then I hit DOWN and it blew it up. I hit left and it went back to the Post Play display and I blew the credits back up. I did that a couple of times and it jammed (playing the credits of The 4400 Season 1 Episode 1). It needs work.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #200
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I just had a very similar issue.... twice. I was poking around in the Netflix app and under SETTINGS I did a NETWORK CHECK. It stalled trying to communicate with "server 3" so I used the up arrow to select the GO BACK menu item. That took me back to the main Netflix screen. When I hit the BACK button, I got a black screen and then a reboot.

I had recently changed the Tivo output format from fixed 1080i to multiple formats and remembered reading that keeping it fixed might help so I reset it to fixed 1080i.

I then tried the above steps again. And it rebooted again at the same point after hitting the back button to back out of the Netflix app after the stalled server 3 step in a network check.

After the second reboot, I once again opened the netflix app and went to the settings page but this time I did not perform a network check. And this time I was able to back out of the app without a reboot.

Hope this helps narrow it down. I have seen other references to suspicions that something about a network issue can cause the Netflix app to reboot the Tivo. Maybe there is something to it?

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #201
bbrown9

Paul, that sounds like another bug.

The reboots we have been talking about occurred while watching video on Netflix. At least that is what I have seen.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #202
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I just had a very similar issue.... twice. I was poking around in the Netflix app and under SETTINGS I did a NETWORK CHECK. It stalled trying to communicate with "server 3" so I used the up arrow to select the GO BACK menu item. That took me back to the main Netflix screen. When I hit the BACK button, I got a black screen and then a reboot.

I had recently changed the Tivo output format from fixed 1080i to multiple formats and remembered reading that keeping it fixed might help so I reset it to fixed 1080i.

I then tried the above steps again. And it rebooted again at the same point after hitting the back button to back out of the Netflix app after the stalled server 3 step in a network check.

After the second reboot, I once again opened the netflix app and went to the settings page but this time I did not perform a network check. And this time I was able to back out of the app without a reboot.

Hope this helps narrow it down. I have seen other references to suspicions that something about a network issue can cause the Netflix app to reboot the Tivo. Maybe there is something to it?

Paul
Same exact thing happened to me last night. Server 3 stalled and the network check didn't complete. Exiting Netflix caused a black screen and a reboot. Server 3 still hangs. I still get a black screen but eventually get to Tivo Central without a reboot but it is, yet another bug.

I see that Netflix moved from UI release 22p to 27p. Whether or not that affects Server connectivity or not, I don't know.

Keep posting these things when they happen. Apparently, TivoMargret is dialed in to this forum and they are working on various fixes. Send her an email. Be a squeaky wheel. I know I am

Last edited by ustavio : 11-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #203
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Paul, that sounds like another bug.

The reboots we have been talking about occurred while watching video on Netflix. At least that is what I have seen.
I think they are all part of the same cluster of bugs. I even had a reboot just thinking about watching Netflix (now that was creepy). It all seems to be related to whatever ongoing changes Tivo and/or Netflix are making as they tinker with their respective software.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #204
ustavio

Quote:
Thank you ustavio. Love your persistence!

And of course thank you Margret.
Mom always told me a squeaky wheel gets the grease although the mental image is not particularly appealing. The one about honey attracting more bees than vinegar always made wonder why I would want a bunch of bees......

Who come up with these things?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #205
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Mom always told me a squeaky wheel gets the grease although the mental image is not particularly appealing. The one about honey attracting more bees than vinegar always made wonder why I would want a bunch of bees......

Who come up with these things?
"You can catch more flies with honey...", which I've always heard, makes a little more sense, using honey to bait a flytrap. Of course, you can catch the most flies with foul smelling substances .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #206
mckingsley

I just want to know definitevly why profiles support was removed and if there are at least plans to bring it back.

Because of this and the fact that it is working well on other devices it makes me want to use my PS3 for Netflix. It would be nice to be able to stay in the Tivo experience.
mckingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #207
jrtroo
User

Ask Netflix?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #208
mckingsley

Well from higher posts in this thread it seemed like Tivo is coming out with updates to help netflix reboots, but does that also mean adding profiles?
mckingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #209
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckingsley View Post
Well from higher posts in this thread it seemed like Tivo is coming out with updates to help netflix reboots, but does that also mean adding profiles?
TiVoMargret indicated in her post that an upcoming (this month) update will address "some" of the issues related to Netflix reboots. While I try to remain optimistic, I'll just have to wait and see if this update fixes my particular and ongoing random reboot issue. It remains baffling to me as to why this problem even exists much less persists through multiple updates to date. I've never had this problem with Netflix on any other platform. I am hopeful that profiles (and consistent SuperHD....another nit to pik) will return but as of now, I refuse to use TiVo's Netflix portal while recording anything. If I want a reboot free experience, profiles and SuperHD, I use my PS3 or Blu-Ray Players.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #210
MoBoost

I have no sound using Netflix with my Premiere. This has been an ongoing problem for a long time through all of the updates. Been using my PS3, it would be nice to use TiVo. Any suggestions to correct this?
Thanks,
Jon
MoBoost is offline   Reply With Quote