Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #61
pkscout

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Gah! I hate it when networks do that. (Air a pilot and a 2nd episode back to back or only a day or two apart) I assumed I had a week to decide whether I liked it and didn't get around to watching the pilot until last night.

Now I find I've already missed the 2nd episode and need to go track it down.
If only there were some magic device that would allow you to tell it a series you wanted to watch and then recorded it for you no matter when it was on.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #62
dfergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
(his partner was reactivated after being shut down for 10 years). When such androids become possible, the testing and political ramifications before releasing such androids in public would take year and years - let alone letting them be cops.
3 or 4 years max if I remember right...
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Interesting. I wonder how that would gel with his visits to the recollectionist - I would think the recollectionist would be able to distinguish as so far it seems that extracting memories from androids involves a very different process.
Then he's in on it. If the detective thinks he sought that doc out and initiated contact, that could just be last of his implanted memories.

Anyway, I hope the replicant theory doesn't prove correct, because that's a little too much of a Blade Runner rip-off for me. (Then again, it was never explicit in BR.)

Quote:
When such androids become possible, the testing and political ramifications before releasing such androids in public would take year and years - let alone letting them be cops.
How many years ago would you have said the same thing (re. political ramifications) about bombing people with unmanned drones?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #64
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
3 or 4 years max if I remember right...
When they reactivated his new AI partner it asked how long was it out and they told it 10 years - unless I am totally misremembering
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
vertigo235

Quote:
When they reactivated his new AI partner it asked how long was it out and they told it 10 years - unless I am totally misremembering
Indeed it was a little more than 4 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #66
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
If only there were some magic device that would allow you to tell it a series you wanted to watch and then recorded it for you no matter when it was on.
As it's on FOX, that magic box is required in order to actually catch it. Fox loves to randomly move its airing around.

And you might want to hold off for a few episodes so you can actually want them in order, too.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #67
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
As it's on FOX, that magic box is required in order to actually catch it. Fox loves to randomly move its airing around.

And you might want to hold off for a few episodes so you can actually want them in order, too.
You know it would be rather funny to see them intentionally move a series around every week, hiding it all over the schedule anytime over the 24-hour day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #68
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I don't really get the Blade Runner feel, but the SFX of gunshots are definitely Terminator style....

I'm liking it a lot and Minka adds something...not sure what yet, tho...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #69
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Why impose our reality upon this fictional universe? There's been nothing to suggest that their 2013 was the same as our 2013 is. Maybe in the universe of this story, androids have been around since the 1980's.
I don't think their intention was to create this time frame in an alternate universe. Unless there's going to be a big reveal somewhere down the line. So I'm going with the assumption that it's our universe.

When you think back at some of the tech over the last 35 years and how rapidly it's been moving, I can accept what they are trying to go for. Think about those early PC in the 1980s and where we are now and maybe the feeling that technology cannot move that fast might subside. It's all fictional anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.

I thought ep 1 was just ok, but I gave it latitude as they were setting up the characters.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #70
laria
Librocubicularist

I really liked this show. Love the interaction between the android and Éomer/Bones.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #71
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Maybe there WILL be one....in 2048...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #72
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I really liked this show. Love the interaction between the android and Éomer/Bones.
I had clearly noticed the actor was Bones, but I totally missed that he was also Éomer.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #73
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I had clearly noticed the actor was Bones, but I totally missed that he was also Éomer.
Dredd!

Although one could be forgiven for not recognizing him from that...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #74
Jonathan_S

Quote:
But I already have a magical device that usually picks up the first episode of new series so I don't even have to find out about them ahead of time. (Autorecording first run only wishlist for "pilot")

I don't set a season pass until I've watched the first episode and decided if it has potential. But my routine gets screwed up if they air the first two episodes too close together.

It'd be less magical if I had to research each new show and figure out whether I should set a SP once it comes into the guide data.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #75
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't understand the not setting the SP until you decide if you want to keep it or not. I just set them and if I don't like it, I cancel them.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #76
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I don't understand the not setting the SP until you decide if you want to keep it or not. I just set them and if I don't like it, I cancel them.
For those of us who have (had in my case) DirecTV DVRs, there's a 50 SP limit. So setting a SP for something you may or may not like means you might have to remove something else. The new generation DVRs...the Genie has a 100 SP limit, so I'm good now (I have about 60 SP now, and I set up a SP for this show, like you said, just to see if I'll like it).
Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #77
laria
Librocubicularist

Oh, I just have TiVo. I don't think there's a limit there.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #78
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Dredd!

Although one could be forgiven for not recognizing him from that...
I am trying to forget I ever saw that. Thanks for reminding me!

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #79
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I don't pre-set the SP because I often don't know about a new show until it shows up in in Now Playing, in the 'Pilot' wishlist folder.

I guess I could actively keep an eye on that and add SPs after the show appears and before I watch it. But even that likely doesn't help if they run a doubleheader of the first two episodes. <shrug>
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #80
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I am trying to forget I ever saw that. Thanks for reminding me!
I AGREE!!! Having kind-of liked the original Judge Dredd I was looking forward to watching the remake, and I thought it was TERRIBLE. In fact I think I dozed off a few times!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #81
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Wow, I liked Dredd. Different strokes, I guess...
Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #82
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wow, I liked Dredd. Different strokes, I guess...
After reading so many bad reviews, I passed on the remake. (It wasn't like the original was all that good.). Now I'm curious.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #83
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
After reading so many bad reviews, I passed on the remake. (It wasn't like the original was all that good.). Now I'm curious.
I don't know if you know the comic, but the movie is like a milder but faithful version of the comic. Whereas the original was a loud, Americanized bastardization of the comic. With Joan Chen in a leather catsuit, so there's that.

So I guess you can say the original had all the over-the-topness of the comic but nothing else; and the new one had everything else but not the over-the-topness.