TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
bdspilot

C133 error (Problem with service) BIG EXCLAMATION POINT !

I have had this error many times since the last software update about 10 days ago. My internet is fine and I can connect to my other Tivo so my connections are good. Is this just a Tivo Server Prob? I am hard wired to a non green switch.

thanks
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Mine were all out, between 5-5:30am PT this morning, I have not received the Premiere Fall Update, even though I signed up the first day, I usually get the updates the first day of roll-out, but not this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
pgoelz

Mine went out this morning at about 0815 EDT. Still out as of 0840. Brought me face to face with how much of the Roamio is dependent on an internet connection AND reliable Tivo servers. And worse, the Tivo support numbers are not manned until 10AM EDT so there is no one to call. One hopes there is someone in the server room who is aware something is wrong.

FWIW..... initially, forcing a connection to the Tivo servers failed at the "negotiating" step. Now, the forced connection actually succeeds including downloading new guide information. But the Roamio is still declaring an error and all the Tivo-dependent functions are still unavailable.

Never saw this happen with my trusty TivoHD.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Never saw this happen with my trusty TivoHD.
The THDs did not provide instant feedback on the status of Tivo's servers as the function was not as active as on the Premiere and Roamio.

I look at it this way, though I'm sure to be corrected. If you are at work and have a short outage at home from your electric company, you'll know because clocks are flashing and UPSs may be beeping. If you POTS has a short outage, you would likely never know.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
pgoelz

Point taken. But with the Roamio as connected and instant as it is, these "brief" outages are VERY noticeable and annoying. This one was about 30 minutes near as I can tell.

Perhaps Tivo needs to ramp their server reliability / redundancy up a notch, given the fact that all the new DVRs are so dependent on always on connectivity?

Paul
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Seems that they are working on their servers getting ready for holiday sales (or new features?!). But, in general, there are not normally any issues like we have seen this last week.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
jwbelcher

Last Friday I experienced the C133 and my Tivo about flipped out. Any remote control inputs took forever and acted like it was hung waiting for the service. Once the service was restored, Roamio got happy again.

Anyone with similar experiences when the tivo service goes out?
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I've had several issues with failing to connect to TiVo servers recently where I hadn't had any for years....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
kbmb

Tivo really needs to beef up their servers.....this just shouldn't be happening as frequently as it does.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
pgoelz

I had my second "C133" issue last night and called Tivo. This time, I got someone who acknowledged the issue but had what I consider to be an unacceptable solution. He was adamant that the issue was with my router and its "firewall". Near as I can tell, by "firewall" he was talking about either port blocking (which my router does not do) or the normal routing functions. I tried questioning him about what the heck he meant when he said I had to turn off the router's "firewall" and he told me that I had to open ports in the router and LEAVE THEM OPEN. When I objected to that approach as lowering my security, he got a bit huffy and Emailed me an article that he said would describe the issue and the solution.

The article first instructed me to do a network diagnostic (which includes checking ports) from the Tivo menu, which passed. At this point (after the passed port test AND a forced successful connection to Tivo), the Tivo was STILL giving me a C133 error.

The article went on to imply that Tivo needs a range of IPs and ports available but did not specifically say that they needed to be permanently held open.

So I simply rebooted the router and everything came back up. Not sure what the problem was, but if I had to guess, I'm wondering if it isn't just a protocol or timing issue where Tivo opens a port and then assumes it is open longer than the router holds it open?

Unless CONCRETELY shown otherwise, I refuse to hold ports open in my router. That seems to just be asking for it, and I am not convinced thatis the best solution anyway.

Hopefully, Tivo will sort this out on their flagship DVR line. The solution can't be to modify router settings.... for starters, how many people are familiar enough with their router to do it.... correctly? My router works 100% with everything else I own including a Logitech Revue.

Paul
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
socrplyr

I had it happen last evening/night as well. It didn't seem to last long this time. I didn't bother to call or anything, since I could still watch a recorded show (which is what I was trying to do).
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
pgoelz

Another C133 today and this time, rebooting the router did NOT resolve it. The Roamio (basic) could connect to the Tivo service and passed all network diagnostics, but the C133 remained.

I called support and this time around, they insisted that the problem was due to the fact that I was hardwired and did not have a static IP address set. So I set a static IP and rebooted the router. This did NOT resolve it. The problem actually got worse.... it now could not connect tot he Tivo service at all, even though the router correctly showed the new static IP address and all other PCs in the house were communicating just fine.

I rebooted the modem AND the router and when they came back up, the C133 was goone and all is fine again.

Note that the last time I called on this, I was told that the problem was ABSOLUTELY because my router was not holding some ports open. I was told that I had to reconfigure the router to hold these ports open and I refused for security reasons. This time, I was told that the problem is supposedly because I didn't have a static IP address, and the open ports only applied to WiFi connections. Huh????

I can see how IP address issues AND closed ports can cause issues but c'mon..... everything else in the house has worked flawlessly for years. The problem is the Roamio or its communications protocol, not my network.

I hope this gets resolved. I love the Roamio otherwise. Best DVR I have ever owned.

Paul
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's not just the Roamio...I've been having the same problem with my Premiere.

I've been writing it off to TiVo server issues, but maybe the new software has a glitch in it?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

If you see a C133 message, it is a temporary issue with the TiVo Service. There is no need to reboot or change anything about your setup. It will resolve on its own.
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
olaug002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If you see a C133 message, it is a temporary issue with the TiVo Service. There is no need to reboot or change anything about your setup. It will resolve on its own.
This has been a frequent and more annoying issue with episodes occurring daily and lasting over an hour. Any idea how long I can expect this TiVo problem to continue?
olaug002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaug002 View Post
This has been a frequent and more annoying issue with episodes occurring daily and lasting over an hour. Any idea how long I can expect this TiVo problem to continue?
Have you tried pinging the Tivo? Did you happen to set up wireless before or in addition to wired? When I first set my Roamio up, I used wi-fi just to get it going. I then switched to wired and had loads of connectivity issues.

Someone here suggested it's because the wi-fi doesn't turn off after you connect the wire. So I had to go back to wi-fi, enter a wrong password and then switch back to wired.

It sounds weird, but the pings to the Tivo showed it. I went from 10% packet loss to 0% and the problems went away.

I hope this is an issue Tivo is aware of by now!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I'm confused then. Yes, the C133 error message reads exactly that.... an issue with the "Tivo Service". But when I call Tivo, I am immediately and emphatically told that it is a communications issue and I have to change things on MY END to resolve it. I have called twice and each time I was told something COMPLETLY DIFFERENT. When I question whether or not it is a problem on Tivo's end, I am ALWAYS told that it DEFINITELY is on MY END.

I don't know what to believe. In the three years I have owned my current router, the Roamio is the only device that has ever had any issue communicating. That would tend to indict the Tivo servers and not my network?

For me, the bottom line is that for an always connected device like the Roamio, the C133 errors are HIGHLY annoying and disruptive. They seriously impact the user experience on an otherwise brilliantly designed DVR. I hope they get resolved SOON.

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 11-21-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I don't know what to believe. In the three years I have owned my current router, the Roamio is the only device that has ever had any issue communicating. That would tent to indict the Tivo servers and not my network?
It's not just the Roamio. My Premiere has the same issue.

If Margret says it's the servers, I believe her. That's a plausible explanation. I can understand that she would know better than some minimum wage phone guy in Bangalore.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's not just the Roamio. My Premiere has the same issue.

If Margret says it's the servers, I believe her. That's a plausible explanation. I can understand that she would know better than some minimum wage phone guy in Bangalore.
I tend to believe her as well. At least that is where the evidence available to me is pointing. The problem is that the official line I get from Tivo support is that it is NOT the servers, and that leads me to believe that Tivo is NOT looking into it.

A little transparency here would go a LONG way. I'll sit back and wait a while if I know Tivo is aware of the issue and is trying to correct it. But all evidence I have so far says they are NOT. They are blaming my network 100% and totally ignoring the possibility that it is on their end.

BTW, the support people I have talked to at Tivo are definitely not some "minimum wage phone guy in Bangalore". They have all been pretty knowledgeable and helpful. Just possibly misinformed?

Paul
Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
jrtroo
User

Things like this can take a bit of time to message through an organization. Especially an organization that is not used to dealing with system "emergencies". Most of their calls are probably turn ons/offs of service and general networking or functionality questions.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
chrispitude

Just got this for the first time tonight.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
ajayabb

Me too. Must me on the tivo end

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
pgoelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Just got this for the first time tonight.
As did I. It started about 8:40PM EST, give or take.

1. Network diagnostics reports the Roamio can connect OK and that all is well.

2. I restarted the router. No resolution.

3. C133 persists as of this writing (8:50 PM EST).

Note that I did a PingPlot to "tivo.com" and it shows 100% packet loss at two hops between me and tivo.com. Perhaps this is a route issue? See attached screenshot. Is this the same domain that the Roamio goes to when it connects?

EDIT: Other than the packet loss between me and Tivo, ALL other routes I have tested are OK and I get my usual 29Mb/S speed test to all four corners of the US. Still C133 (and packet loss) as of 9:05PM.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C133 November 28 2013 0840PM.jpg (115.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by pgoelz : 11-28-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Andrewp75

Same error here and two different iPads timeout when trying to connect to Roamio Pro .,,annoying, but I'm sure TiVo will get it together before I wake up in the morning
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Got the error tonight also. Glad its not just me. I can still make a daily call into Tivo, but have the error and no access to anything other than live tv and recordings. (no Netflix, etc).
Old 11-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #26
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Same here too. Roamio Plus has been C133ing for 20 minutes at least.

Rebooted the router and TiVo, no difference. I am able to force a connection and download guide data, but still get the C133 after.

Glad it's not just me.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
Andrewp75

Everything is working now. TiVo user since 2000, I love the Roamio!! We'll worth the upgrade especially if you have iOS devices (iPhone/iPad)
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
jrboddie

Thank you for reporting this. I saw this tonight for the first time on my brand new Roamio just after a router reset. I was certain that it must be a problem with my new box or network but the failure occurred at the same time as your reports.

So it must be an issue with the server. That is a relief!
jrboddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
tomhorsley

Quote:
I rebooted the modem AND the router and when they came back up, the C133 was goone and all is fine again.
Routers that do NAT routing have to keep tables of active connections so they can figure out what goes where. It is quite common for router software to have bugs (Gasp!) that get it confused with lots of connections causing memory leaks and wot-not. That could easily explain rebooting the router fixing things. You could check and see if the router has newer firmware available (but sometimes trying to update firmware just makes things worse :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
pgoelz

Sigh. I called Tivo after the problem escalated to C501 errors trying to access the NPL. While I was waiting, it resolved. I tried to describe the C133 and C501 errors to the CSR, who insisted that I perform various troubleshooting steps until I told him three or four times that it had resolved and I was at this point trying to get some more information.

His normal troubleshooting steps were:

1. Connect to Tivo.

2. Reboot the router.

3. Reboot the Tivo.

4. Reboot the router and the modem.

5. Permanently open a range of ports.

I explained that steps 1-4 generally does not resolve it and that I continue to refuse to perform step 5, which would expose me to any passing port scanner.

What was (again) disturbing was that at no time did he acknowledge the possibility that the problem was on Tivo's end. Even after I mentioned that several people in this thread had experienced C133s at the same time. He maintained that there was no problem on their end.

I realize he is simply reading a troubleshooting flowchart, but enough is enough don'tcha think? How do we get this escalated to someone at Tivo that can actually do something other than repeat the same ineffective diagnostic steps. All indications I have indicate that there is NOT a problem with my local network. The packet loss I am (still) seeing might be part of the issue.... who knows. Tivo sure doesn't seem to want to look into it.

BTW, during our phone conversation, the CSR said that Tivo knows about the C501 errors and "has fixed it". I pointed out that I was calling because I was getting C501 errors so they did NOT appear to be fixed. At that point, the conversation got a bit convoluted and I was not able to figure out if he was referring to C133 or C501 and I finally dropped it.

Tivo Margaret, can you please weigh in here? If a C133 is indeed a TIVO server issue, can you at least get your CSRs to stop trying to get us to open ports and stop wasting time and corrupting recordings by rebooting the Roamio when it doesn't solve the issue?

Getting frustrated. I absolutely LOVE the Roamio. But if this continues, I may have to go back to our TivoHD.

Paul

Last edited by pgoelz : 11-28-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Clarity and additional info