TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
siratfus

When was the last time tivo allowed lifetime transfers?

When was the last time tivo allowed lifetime transfers and was there a fee involved. If for some reason Tivo decides to have a lifetime transfer promotion, I'm weighing the options of paying a fee for the transfer then selling a tivo unit without lifetime on it, versus selling a unit with lifetime on it. You basically come out the same don't you? From searching this forum, I saw something about a $149 fee when they had a promotion. All that means is your used tivo is pretty much hard to sell. So no point in waiting, right?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

TiVo has allowed 'Lifetime' transfers for the last 13 years with no fee if you have a lifetime Tivo that the lifetime was bought before January 20th 2000. I had one transferred a couple of months ago from a used TiVo that I bought on craigslist.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's unlikely they will ever offer a transfer option again. This was an experiment they ran back in 2007 when they were trying all sorts of new subscription models. In fact at the time you couldn't even buy lifetime for a new TiVo. It was a weird time for TiVo and they eventually came to their senses and returned to their original subscription model. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a transfer option like this again.

Your best bet is to sell your current TiVo for as much as you can and then use the money to buy a new one.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
TiVo has allowed 'Lifetime' transfers for the last 13 years with no fee if you have a lifetime Tivo that the lifetime was bought before January 20th 2000. I had one transferred a couple of months ago from a used TiVo that I bought on craigslist.
Do you need cooperation from previous owner? Like do they need to make phone calls on your behalf to authorize transfer?
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Do you need cooperation from previous owner? Like do they need to make phone calls on your behalf to authorize transfer?
Do you have a S1 unit bought prior to 1/20/2000? If not then it's a moot point. There were only a few thousand units sold by that point and I'm betting the majority of them have used their one time lifetime transfer by now. The likelihood of you coming across one is slim to none.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
No, you don't need any cooperation.

And as I said, I bought one earlier this year and transferred it to a Premiere, so there are TiVos out there.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Re: Buying lifetime Tivos...

If you have the Tivo in your possession, set it up to your zip code, and have it connect to the TiVo servers, you shouldn't have a problem getting TiVo to transfer it to your own account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo calls this the "Blue Moon Special" and its not offered any more. I had my transfer on 2007 for $199, from a s1 to the HD. The $199 was for the 1 year subscription and it took 2 months to complete the transfer.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Do you have a S1 unit bought prior to 1/20/2000? If not then it's a moot point. There were only a few thousand units sold by that point and I'm betting the majority of them have used their one time lifetime transfer by now. The likelihood of you coming across one is slim to none.
Just to be picky, it's not when you bought the S1, it's when you bought Product Lifetime Service for it.

So, for example, if you bought an S1 in 1999 and subbed it monthly or annually, and then bought PLS in Dec of 2000, you're SOL.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's unlikely they will ever offer a transfer option again. This was an experiment they ran back in 2007 when they were trying all sorts of new subscription models. In fact at the time you couldn't even buy lifetime for a new TiVo. It was a weird time for TiVo and they eventually came to their senses and returned to their original subscription model. I seriously doubt we'll ever see a transfer option like this again.
We had 2 S1's with lifetime and took advantage of this $199 transfer option in December 2006/January 2007 to transfer the lifetime subscription to 2 new S3 OLED's. The fact that new lifetime subscriptions were not an option at the time and there was no guarantee of them ever being offered again at the time pushed me to go ahead and do it despite the high cost of the S3 OLED at the time (down to $600 by the time I purchased). Both are still working well for us so my cost per year keeps dropping (almost 7 years in another 1-2 months).

I agree that I would not expect to see this offer again.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
MScottC

I transferred my grandfathered S1 lifetime, purchased in 1999, to my new Roamio Plus the week after TiVo released the Roamios. I had to buy from Weakknees to get a Roamio without a subscription that was able to accept the transfer. That was a bit of silliness on their part, but as it turned out, I didn't have to pay tax or shipping, so I wound up saving some that way. At the same time I did that transfer, I managed to buy a lifetime sub for my old S3 for $99. I then was able to turn around and sell the S3 for $300. But as I look back, I would have been way better buying the lifetime for the S3 for even $500 right from the get go. I had no idea I was going to keep the S3 as long as I did.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
cwoody222

I believe they allowed me to transfer my service from an S2 to an S3 in the fall of 2006, shortly after the S3 came out. I had to pay a one-time fee to do it.

I am not one of the grandfathered people; it was a special offer. I don't think they've done it since.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
bogart

Same as CWoody, but after 12 months they started charging me a monthly fee for the inactive S2. They said that was the original deal, but they said there was no way to show me the terms of the original deal. I'm still pissed over that because I did not notice the billing on the inactive S2 until over a year later (my fault for not checking the bills which were paid automatically by credit card). They would not refund the fees.

Roamio Pro
Mini X2
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I believe they allowed me to transfer my service from an S2 to an S3 in the fall of 2006, shortly after the S3 came out. I had to pay a one-time fee to do it.

I am not one of the grandfathered people; it was a special offer. I don't think they've done it since.
That was in early 2007 when they offered that option. It was $199. But since lifetime wasn't available at the time and 3 years of service cost $399, it was quite a bargain.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post

They did it separately for the OLED S3 then the Tivo HD.. I took advantage of both offers.. (I probably should have waited and just done the Tivo HD.. since it was much cheaper).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

No one knew the TiVo HD was coming. They released it less then a year after the original S3. Probably because sales were suffering due to the high price of the original S3.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Same as CWoody, but after 12 months they started charging me a monthly fee for the inactive S2. They said that was the original deal, but they said there was no way to show me the terms of the original deal. I'm still pissed over that because I did not notice the billing on the inactive S2 until over a year later (my fault for not checking the bills which were paid automatically by credit card). They would not refund the fees.
Yes, that was the deal. I took advantage of it as well for moving the lifetime from my 2 S1's to 2 S3 OLED's and it was 1 year of free service on the old unit which would then move to normal monthly billing. Since I had always had lifetime they didn't have a payment option available so I didn't have to worry about cancelling the service after a year.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote