TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
adaymerced

Roamio Streaming Quality

I got my new TiVo Plus right before a six day work trip cross country. (California to Florida). I made sure to connect and test the streaming both in network and out of network before I left.

When I got to Florida, I opened the iPad App and connected to my TiVo just fine. But a couple of problems popped up.

1. The streaming itself was remarkably iffy. I'd say it actually was able to stream content 1 out of maybe 4 times, and would eventually stop after a few minutes.

2. When I went to manage My Shows, after I deleted one or two episodes that I didn't need, it would lose connection and have to create a new connection with my Tivo.

The hotel's wireless was robust enough to allow streaming from Netflix and Hulu Plus, but streaming from my Roamio wasn't working, so I don't think it was a bandwidth issue on the hotel side.

My question is, I'm pretty sure it's a bandwidth issue on my home network setup. I'm hardwired to an Apple Airport Express which is hardwired to the Comcast Wireless Cable Router. ( I do that because the Apple is a faster router but Comcast provides the internet service).

Does the needlessly complicated router setup limit the bandwidth I'm getting from my home network to the wireless speed of the slower router, even though I'm connected via ethernet all the way from the TiVo box to the cable outlet (with two routers in between)?

I'm a bit of a novice with networking issues, so if this is an idiotic setup for my home network, be kind.
adaymerced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
kbmb

First off, I'm not a networking expert....in fact I know very little

Couple questions:

- What's your Comcast provisioned speeds? What do you actually get for upload speeds?

- Did you have Comcast put your wireless router in bridge mode? Or are you dealing with a double NAT setup.

Granted, I have no idea if a double NAT slows things down....just asking.

Do you have a chance to test the streaming from a known good network?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

The upload speed really matters on the home side. If you have poor upload speeds then that can cause issues.

I know it's not a perfect option, but you should try downloading shows rather then streaming them. That way you'll get whatever quality you select and it should be unaffected by your bandwidth. (bandwidth will only affect how fast it downloads)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
adaymerced

I'm thinking you're right about the upload speed problem. I did a speediest and I'm getting 5.50 Mbps. That is likely insufficient for streaming.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaymerced View Post
I'm thinking you're right about the upload speed problem. I did a speediest and I'm getting 5.50 Mbps. That is likely insufficient for streaming.
That's plenty. According to TiVo, for OOH streaming you need a maximum of 1.2 Mbps (and 2.2 Mbps for in home streaming):
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/

P.S. If you want better quality then medium or high quality downloads are better than streaming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg streaming.jpg (20.6 KB, 74 views)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
adaymerced

The downloads worked fine, but it was more a question around whether there was a change I needed to make in my home network to maximize the streaming. Most of the shows I wanted to watch remotely were also available on Hulu Plus so it wasn't a huge deal, but streaming was one of the reasons I upgraded to the Roamio, so I wanted to make sure it was a buggy feature and not just me not being tech smart.