TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 204 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #661
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantasy View Post
I was not on any special list and I have received the newest version of the NDS firmware. I'm on Cablevision in the Morris County system. I haven't yet reactivated my tuners so I can't verify that it's working yet. I will soon.
According to Ed this update was pushed out on Monday to all NDS card users. The OS Version is VGUARD3.0.7_F.p.0601 with a Build Time Oct 23 2013.

If you do not have that OS Version I suggest you call Cablevision and have them push that update to your cable card. I don't think it would be an issue for them to do that. Once you do that bump your tuners up to 6 and you should be good. Haven't been home at all this week to try it but family has and they have not received any errors and all recorded shows seem to be good so far.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #662
cc0n01

Bad news. I started receiving the V58 channel not authorized errors again this morning with the NDS 0601 update. I've sent Ed from Cablevision an email about this. Hopefully he can find a fix.
cc0n01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #663
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0n01 View Post
Bad news. I started receiving the V58 channel not authorized errors again this morning with the NDS 0601 update. I've sent Ed from Cablevision an email about this. Hopefully he can find a fix.
Just wondering, are you using a TA in your setup? If so, are you sure that you need it?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #664
cc0n01

My cablecard was reset and the V58 "not authorized" errors stopped. I'm not sure if it reset itself or Cablevision did the reset after I called the automated line with the four dashes on my set top box message.

Hopefully I'm the only one with the problem after the 0601 update.

AdamNJ - I'm not using any Tuning Adapters in my setup.
cc0n01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #665
JDSunny46

Also getting the issue with Roamio Pro on Charter in CT. Sad. It's my first experience with a TiVo and it's less than super amazing.

I called a couple weeks back and Charter sent out a tech, who doesn't get the training needed for the newer tech or cable cards. Basically, when I couldn't reproduce it was deemed "resolved" and they moved on.

I scaled back to 4 tuners, hopefully that will fix my missing recording issue and the fact that I can't watch premiums consistently.

Cisco Cablecard F/W: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401
JDSunny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #666
DigitalDawn

JD,

After going through cable card hell for over a year and a half, culminating with losing channels 5 minutes after the cable cards were re-paired, I can tell you that it's not TiVo's fault.

There are a few reasons I know this:

1. As soon as the new firmware was downloaded to my cable cards, video pixellation and audio dropouts all but disappeared.

2. The new firmware fixed my channel tuning issues and I can now use all six tuners in my Roamio Pro.

3. The most compelling reason that it's not TiVo's fault: all the tuning problems on my PC's Ceton tuner card are now completely gone.

You have to realize that most cable companies using Cisco equipment have very, very outdated CC firmware filled with bugs. In addition, because cable cards are barely used these days, new ones are never purchased, and old problematic cards are often reused.

I have to give TiVo credit for reporting the cable card issues and thank Margret for telling us which firmware versions to ask for. I'm also going out on a limb to say that Comcast in Palm Beach County, Florida, did the right thing in quickly giving us the latest/greatest firmware after a number of TiVo users experienced significant problems.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #667
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
I'm also going out on a limb to say that Comcast in Palm Beach County, Florida, did the right thing in quickly giving us the latest/greatest firmware after a number of TiVo users experienced significant problems.
I don't know about that "quickly" part. The diag screen says the firmware was built back in June. I could have used it then :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #668
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I don't know about that "quickly" part. The diag screen says the firmware was built back in June. I could have used it then :-).
While not great, I personally don't consider the delay exceptionally bad. I'm sure it had to go through several validation steps, with the final one being at the local franchise level to make sure there aren't any bad interactions at with local legacy equipment. Getting local franchises to allocate testing resources for a problem that may affect only 20-30 customers in their local area is probably tough.

The June timing is interesting though. Cable companies knew about the problem long before the Roamio was released. Conspiracy theorists will have fun!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #669
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
The June timing is interesting though. Cable companies knew about the problem long before the Roamio was released. Conspiracy theorists will have fun!
The first date they announced for their rollout of new infrastructure and X1 boxes, etc was "summer". I suspect the firmware was prepared for that rollout (which is now scheduled for early 2014).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #670
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSunny46 View Post
Also getting the issue with Roamio Pro on Charter in CT. Sad. It's my first experience with a TiVo and it's less than super amazing.

I called a couple weeks back and Charter sent out a tech, who doesn't get the training needed for the newer tech or cable cards. Basically, when I couldn't reproduce it was deemed "resolved" and they moved on.

I scaled back to 4 tuners, hopefully that will fix my missing recording issue and the fact that I can't watch premiums consistently.

Cisco Cablecard F/W: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.2401
I had the exact same problems and Firmware release on my Cisco CableCard as you. I'm on Charter Cable in the San Gabriel Valley, Southern California.

I first dumbed my Tivo Roamio Pro down to 4 tuners to resolve the issues I was experiencing and it worked great. But further research indicated that setting the Roamio to 5 tuners would work equally as well and of course give me back one more tuner. I made this change to 5 tuners two weeks ago and all is well, no more unauthorized channels! It's not the full 6 I paid Tivo for, I will have to wait for Charter to upgrade their CableCard firmware to the current level for that to be fixed.

I'm happy enough with my Roamio right now that I just purchased and installed my first Tivo Mini using the MoCA network option. Setup was a Snap and it works really well! I plan to replace all 4 of my Charter Cisco DVR's as my budget permits. The Tivo presentation is just so much better!!!
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #671
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
JD,

After going through cable card hell for over a year and a half, culminating with losing channels 5 minutes after the cable cards were re-paired, I can tell you that it's not TiVo's fault.

There are a few reasons I know this:

1. As soon as the new firmware was downloaded to my cable cards, video pixellation and audio dropouts all but disappeared.

2. The new firmware fixed my channel tuning issues and I can now use all six tuners in my Roamio Pro.

3. The most compelling reason that it's not TiVo's fault: all the tuning problems on my PC's Ceton tuner card are now completely gone.

You have to realize that most cable companies using Cisco equipment have very, very outdated CC firmware filled with bugs. In addition, because cable cards are barely used these days, new ones are never purchased, and old problematic cards are often reused.

I have to give TiVo credit for reporting the cable card issues and thank Margret for telling us which firmware versions to ask for. I'm also going out on a limb to say that Comcast in Palm Beach County, Florida, did the right thing in quickly giving us the latest/greatest firmware after a number of TiVo users experienced significant problems.
While I completely agree with and understand your post, I don't think you can completely disregard TiVo as an accomplice in this crime. My point being that I had both the TiVo Roamio Pro and Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCie at the same time about a month ago. I experienced similar tuning issues with them both. I opened a support case with each. I still have the exact same tuning issues with my Roamio over 2 months later, the Ceton had a new firmware loaded with 24 hours which completely rectified all tuning issues. Apparently there's a workaround to have the source tuning device message the cablecard/TA in another way to ensure it tunes properly. Ceton implemented this fix instead of pointing fingers because that is ALL that matters in the end for happy customers. TiVo did not and still hasn't months later.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #672
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Ceton implemented this fix instead of pointing fingers because that is ALL that matters in the end for happy customers. TiVo did not and still hasn't months later.
+1
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #673
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Ceton implemented this fix instead of pointing fingers because that is ALL that matters in the end for happy customers. TiVo did not and still hasn't months later.
Ceton doesn't have to play nice with the cable companies either. TiVo adding a hack that affects how it works with cable headends is probably not a smart move. In fact, if Ceton had the install base, I'm sure cable companies wouldn't like their workaround (I'm sure it is hitting the headend much more than normal to work around the bug).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #674
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

Ceton doesn't have to play nice with the cable companies either. TiVo adding a hack that affects how it works with cable headends is probably not a smart move. In fact, if Ceton had the install base, I'm sure cable companies wouldn't like their workaround (I'm sure it is hitting the headend much more than normal to work around the bug).
If the tuning request actually gets past the TA then you'd have a valid point, but it doesn't appear that's the case, or it would be tuning properly in the first place. The message Ceton sends to the cablecard/TA only goes that far from what I understand, not all the way to the headend. I could be wrong though.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #675
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Motorola MediaCipher M-Cards?

I see very little mention of Motorola MediaCipher M-Cards as regards the problem of being able to use the full six tuners. Is this because the Moto cards work perfectly? Because no one but my cableCo (Cable ONE) uses Moto?

My Roamio should arrive tomorrow and I'm curious whether I'll really have six tuners at my disposal.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #676
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I see very little mention of Motorola MediaCipher M-Cards as regards the problem of being able to use the full six tuners. Is this because the Moto cards work perfectly? Because no one but my cableCo (Cable ONE) uses Moto?

My Roamio should arrive tomorrow and I'm curious whether I'll really have six tuners at my disposal.
Some use SA/Cisco or Motorola or even both. Comcast uses Cisco in one area and motorola in the next county. It all depends on the existing infrastructure. I haven't heard of issues with Motorola like the outdated Cisco cards.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #677
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0n01 View Post
Haven't had an issue yet. Sorry you did.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #678
thorpemark

Anyone knwo what cablecard to ask for from Comcast in Central NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
If anyone in central NJ is looking to get a cisco card from cablevison i know the freehold optimum store has them, and once you get that maybe Margret can get your firmware updated
Thank you. I may drop by there tomorrow. Is there a specific one to ask for? I know I want the Cisco 1.5.3.1101 firmware.. is that enough info?

Oh wait.. you said Cablevision.. dang.. am Comcast.

My new Roamio pro and Mini should arrive tomorrow (Thursday)... would be cool to have the correct cablecard waiting on it.
thorpemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #679
thorpemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
A few answers from our awesome engineer:

- Responding to 'Could you define recent Motorola CableCARDs':

Any Motorola CableCARD with firmware version 06.25 is considered current.
It is our experience that you should be able to tune Copy Protected channels
on every/all tuners regardless of the CableCARD's part number. Version
02.65 is too old. If there is a case where a Motorola CableCARD is
experiencing problems, we need to hear about it, and ask you to collect all
the data described in Margret's post #212.
My TivoHD shows this for the Motorola CC..

Motorola
HW: 0469927002 Boot: 03.25
FW* 06.25 E 04/10/12 06:17
FW 05.23 ---

So, that FW* is the 06.25 I am looking for? I should be able to take that cablecard and stick it in my new Roamio Pro (arriving soon) and get it autorised for the new device and then use all 6 tuners and access Protected channels as well?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #680
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpemark View Post
My TivoHD shows this for the Motorola CC..

Motorola
HW: 0469927002 Boot: 03.25
FW* 06.25 E 04/10/12 06:17
FW 05.23 ---

So, that FW* is the 06.25 I am looking for? I should be able to take that cablecard and stick it in my new Roamio Pro (arriving soon) and get it autorised for the new device and then use all 6 tuners and access Protected channels as well?
Yes, FW* 06.25 is fine. Been using a Moto card with that firmware for a few months now with my Roamio Pro without issue for all 6 tuners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #681
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Motorola Firmware Versions

I bought some Moto M-cards with the following hardware and firmware versions:

Card-1
HW: 0554050003 BOOT: 04.01
FW:
FW* 06.25

Card-2
HW: 0469927002
FW: 02.65
FW* 06.25

Card-3
FW: 02.65
FW* 06.25

Card-4
FW: 02.65, --.--, 03.25

Card-5

Card-6
HW: 0537971002

Card-7
HW: 0537971002

Regarding the HW designation on card 1, what is "BOOT: 04.01" and why is that the only card with such a designation?

What's the difference between "FW" and FW*"? Some cards have one or the other and some have both. Why multiple entries?

On cards 4-7, there's a gap between the FW versions listed. What's up with that?

Finally, the cards from my cableco have:
Hardware Version: 0469927002
Firmware: 03.31, 02.65, 03.25
which indicates to me that their cards will not provide me full 6-tuner access, since they don't have that "06.25" mentioned earlier in this thread.

How to make sense of this?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #682
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I bought some Moto M-cards with the following hardware and firmware versions:...
I didn't know that CableCARDs could be purchased. Where can I buy one? Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #683
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I didn't know that CableCARDs could be purchased. Where can I buy one? Thanks!
You can buy them on eBay but they can't be used with any major cable company since they aren't in their database.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #684
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
You can buy them on eBay but they can't be used with any major cable company since they aren't in their database.
Oh. Okay. Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #685
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
My cableco entered mine into their database and we will proceed to try and get them to work.

People will tell you not to buy on eBay because the cards may be stolen, defective and whatnot. There may be something to this as I cannot get (so far) any of mine to work fully. The cableco and I have tried seven cards, none of which seem to work right. Curiously, I can receive channels 455-485 (which I think is their basic digital package) but no channels above that or below it, not even non-CP channels.

I admit to not understanding the technology all that well. They sent me their troubleshooting guide for TiVo cableCARDS and everything looks like the card should be working, but I can see only a small range of channels. The others have no image.

So, while the cards appear to be working, it is for a limited number of channels (which tells me it's a cableco problem). I may have to figure it out for them. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #686
thorpemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, FW* 06.25 is fine. Been using a Moto card with that firmware for a few months now with my Roamio Pro without issue for all 6 tuners.
Thank you so much. It looks like all the pains to get everything working on both TivoHDs will now payoff when putting in the Roamio Pro and Mini. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #687
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

My Roamio arrived last night and I installed one of my own Motorola M-cards. The card is not yet paired so it's not surprising that I'm getting the "not authorized (V58)" errors on most channels. I am receiving 455-485 which is, I think, their basic package. No authorization needed, I suppose.

The Roamio seems to be more informative than my THDs regarding why a channel has no picture.

The diagnostics screens indicate that decoding should happen for all six tuners. That's encouraging.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #688
rainwater

Quote:
My cableco entered mine into their database and we will proceed to try and get them to work.
Like I said, no major cable company will do this. I am assuming you have a regional cable company. And even if they try, it is doubtful they will ever pair a card brought in externally (unless you get lucky and find an tech person with amazing knowledge of cablecards).

And yes, most of those cards are stolen (or just not returned) from a cable company. However, I doubt it would affect getting it paired since there is not a national database of stolen cablecards.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #689
aryndub

Comcast Houston

My Roamio Plus arrived Wednesday night and it took over a day to get everything setup properly with them. I originally obtained 3 cablecards and as usual, the first one i inserted was bad. Both of the other two working cards were version 1.5.2.3001.

As suspected, I'm getting the dreaded V58 errors that everyone is mentioning... my question is, how do I disable the 6th tuner? I've searched the tivo site, these forums and I see mention of it, but not the steps to do so. Also, if I'm reading right, the setup seems to be stable for 5 tuners and not 6 correct?

Thanks.
aryndub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #690
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryndub View Post
As suspected, I'm getting the dreaded V58 errors that everyone is mentioning... my question is, how do I disable the 6th tuner? I've searched the tivo site, these forums and I see mention of it, but not the steps to do so. Also, if I'm reading right, the setup seems to be stable for 5 tuners and not 6 correct?

Thanks.
Go to Settings > Channels > Channel List
and enter one of the following number sequences using the number buttons on the remote. This will tell Roamio the how many tuners it can use.
- 88633 = use 3 tuners
- 88634 = use 4 tuners
- 88635 = use 5 tuners
- 88636 = use 6 tuners

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote