TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #151
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
Testing this further, the live streaming video quality is still fairly poor. Football players who are running still look like a blocky mess.

I guess the alternative is to download it to your i-device for a 1/2 hour at Medium quality and then start watching it. That really seems like the only option to achieve decent quality video watching, but who wants to wait that long to watch a program since you have to leave your i-device on with the app open for it to continue to download.

I really want this device to work.......
All the testing I've done the quality is excellent, surely this is dependent on your ISPs upload speed ? Most of them cripple upload.

I've got a solid 75mb/s upload.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #152
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
All the testing I've done the quality is excellent, surely this is dependent on your ISPs upload speed ? Most of them cripple upload.

I've got a solid 75mb/s upload.
For me even with quality indicator lighting up all but the last circle, artifacts were very plainly visible on my iPad Air while streaming. Switching to Slingbox 350 with same WiFi connection it is very obvious how much better picture quality is. So to me, OOH streaming doesn't cut it. However, downloads at medium quality or higher are acceptable and that's how I'll use the Stream away from home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #153
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
Why?
This is how majority (at least the ones I've seen) of app developers handle their apps on iOS. There is one entry in the app store with a version that is optimized and works for iPhone and iPad. Although I suppose it would be possible, but not ideal, to use the iPhone version on the iPad as well to avoid the additional cost. With most apps, this isn't a concern the end user has to consider. Admittedly, its an unofficial standard, but precedent is there.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #154
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
For me even with quality indicator lighting up all but the last circle, artifacts were very plainly visible on my iPad Air while streaming. Switching to Slingbox 350 with same WiFi connection it is very obvious how much better picture quality is. So to me, OOH streaming doesn't cut it. However, downloads at medium quality or higher are acceptable and that's how I'll use the Stream away from home.
It was Tivo personnel or the support page that mentioned the last circle won't fill in until Tivo releases the direct stream option. Until then, streaming via their proxy as middle-man, that is the best we can get.

Not singling you out moyekj. In general, it will be difficult to prove if the Tivo proxy is throttling the connection or interfering in any other way until they release the direct stream update next year and we can compare. Even those with higher uploads may be getting reduced after the traffic leaves the Tivo proxy which would negate the speed of the ISP over that threshold. At the least, elimination of the proxy would get rid of additional latency and overhead of a 3rd party overseeing all communication.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #155
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
And of course, you're privy to the requirements the cable companies have defined that TiVo has to comply with? Oh, that's right, you're not. You're assuming TiVo doesn't do it just to annoy you and piss off their customers. Makes perfect sense
No, I assume that Tivo's priorities lie with their MSO partners because of their revenue streams, not with their retail customers that they lose money on. This isn't the first questionable decision they've made that would appear to be at odds with the retail side of the house, noob. Given that you just signed up here, you might not know that they screwed over TWC et al customers for years because they wouldn't do streaming or move recordings between boxes.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #156
SugarBowl

On an iPhone 5, if you turn on Airplay to an AppleTv, (no mirroring) the audio plays on the apple tv, but the video still plays on the iPhone.

However, if you look at the stream's webpage, on the list of connected clients, there is an AppleTV reference with a 1280x720 profile initialized. Maybe streaming is coming to apple tv someday ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #157
noone3000

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
My thoughts exactly.
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #158
watstein

Cellular Streaming

Wi-Fi streaming is great out of the home and enjoy the feature but now why not Cellular. 4G/LTE streaming is what I would be interested in since mostly traveling and not always near a Wi-Fi connection. I know the video wouldn't look as good but I don't mind.
Just my thought.
watstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #159
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by watstein View Post
Wi-Fi streaming is great out of the home and enjoy the feature but now why not Cellular. 4G/LTE streaming is what I would be interested in since mostly traveling and not always near a Wi-Fi connection. I know the video wouldn't look as good but I don't mind.
Just my thought.
I had to re setup after the new update, but just tried it today using my verizon 4g/lte hotspot and quality was quite good (Same when tethered to the phone via wi fi). Call me pleasantly surprised!
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #160
watstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
I had to re setup after the new update, but just tried it today using my verizon 4g/lte hotspot and quality was quite good (Same when tethered to the phone via wi fi). Call me pleasantly surprised!
Yea your using a hotspot. I wasn't talking about a hotspot. I was talking about using my phone/tablet data plan. I reset up as well but still not working. Gives me an error that streaming over cellular connection is not supported. as seen below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1486.jpg (41.7 KB, 35 views)
watstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #161
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by watstein View Post
Yea your using a hotspot. I wasn't talking about a hotspot. I was talking about using my phone/tablet data plan. I reset up as well but still not working. Gives me an error that streaming over cellular connection is not supported. as seen below
Cellular streaming is not currently supported due to standards imposed by Apple. The current implementation of Tivo's OOH streaming is not able to achieve the minimum bit rate required by Apple to approve apps that stream video.

Tivo has indicated that they will eventually be able to achieve that minimum bit rate and allow OOH streaming via Cellular. The best work-around is to instead choose to download, and then start watching the show after a minute or two to buffer, as downloads are supported via Cellular.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #162
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, I assume that Tivo's priorities lie with their MSO partners because of their revenue streams, not with their retail customers that they lose money on. This isn't the first questionable decision they've made that would appear to be at odds with the retail side of the house, noob. Given that you just signed up here, you might not know that they screwed over TWC et al customers for years because they wouldn't do streaming or move recordings between boxes.
Many posts doesn't equal wisdom.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #163
msu2k

I finally got my Stream set up last night. It's working well on my home network with my iPad. I didn't try it on my iPhone though while I was at home and thought I'd give it a shot today at work.

Did I also need to run the iOS app's Setup Streaming on my iPhone as well while connected to my home network? I didn't, and I'm assuming that's why I can't get OOH streaming to work today at work. I was thinking that setup was just to get the Stream box itself up and running I guess, and not the iOS app.

I have a Premier XL4 if that helps.
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #164
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu2k View Post
I finally got my Stream set up last night. It's working well on my home network with my iPad. I didn't try it on my iPhone though while I was at home and thought I'd give it a shot today at work.

Did I also need to run the iOS app's Setup Streaming on my iPhone as well while connected to my home network? I didn't, and I'm assuming that's why I can't get OOH streaming to work today at work. I was thinking that setup was just to get the Stream box itself up and running I guess, and not the iOS app.

I have a Premier XL4 if that helps.
Yes, you need to run setup on each device while at home to be properly authorized.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #165
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder why they go through all that trouble only to restrict content by CCI anyway? If they're only going to allow streaming/downloads of unprotected content then why require in home registration first? It's not like they're protecting the TiVo. You can still log into your account and delete recordings, rearrange SP, schedule stuff, etc... without doing that. The only thing they're protecting is streaming and they only allow streaming of unprotected content anyway so what's the point?

Maybe this is a sign that they are working on getting approval for OOH streaming of protected shows?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #166
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wonder why they go through all that trouble only to restrict content by CCI anyway? If they're only going to allow streaming/downloads of unprotected content then why require in home registration first? It's not like they're protecting the TiVo. You can still log into your account and delete recordings, rearrange SP, schedule stuff, etc... without doing that. The only thing they're protecting is streaming and they only allow streaming of unprotected content anyway so what's the point?

Maybe this is a sign that they are working on getting approval for OOH streaming of protected shows?
I think it's related to the Proxy server. Looks like perhaps they are building a table of clients and corresponding Stream servers that the Proxy manages. Going through the in home client setup then adds to the Proxy managed table. I would guess if/when they change to uPNP that will no longer be necessary. Personally I would be happiest with no Proxy and manual port forwarding but understand why TiVo doesn't like that option.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #167
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I can see a couple of reasons:

1. reduce the probability of someone accessing your account. It's an extra level of protection. (In the enterprise network world we call this "machine to machine" authorization).

2. It reduces the probability of people "sharing" their cable. I rarely ever watch live tv. Most of the time I am watching recordings. If my friend had a tivo, I could potentially swipe shows from their tivo and not get cable. Or ask them to record shows for me. But making me physically go to their house and authorize through their network adds one more level of security and is a reminder that I am stealing from them.

Also, if there is ever a "pay per view" function, you'd want that security.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #168
dslunceford

OOH streaming has been really inconsistent and unreliable for me when traveling on business. It will work just fine, then suddenly I'll get a "problem connecting to your streaming device" message which leaves me dead in the water until I return home and can re-set up streaming while on the home network. The app sees the Roamio (and Minis), and I can delete shows and set up recordings.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #169
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Dang, saw the message thread and thought perhaps Android support was out!
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #170
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Dang, saw the message thread and thought perhaps Android support was out!
Sorry! Has anyone else seen connection errors like I have?

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #171
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
OOH streaming has been really inconsistent and unreliable for me when traveling on business. It will work just fine, then suddenly I'll get a "problem connecting to your streaming device" message which leaves me dead in the water until I return home and can re-set up streaming while on the home network. The app sees the Roamio (and Minis), and I can delete shows and set up recordings.
I get this on occasion, but I am able to rerun setup while away and it still works. This is with a stand alone stream, Initially I thought running setup outside the home would not be possible, but guess as long as the device is already identified with the stream even redoing setup still works.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote