TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
scottkathi

Question Help deciding best way to move to Roamio box

I'm trying to figure out the best (most cost effective) way to buy a new Roamio.

Here's my situation:
- We have 2 HD TVs.
- We currently use these two boxes:
HD 20 hour monthly $12.95 (activated 6/04)
HD XL 150 hour lifetime (activated 8/09)

We also have these two boxes that we don't use:
HD Series 2 rev. 3 (inactive - no lifetime)
Series 1 Philips 30 hr lifetime (activated 10/2000)

- Besides recording cable (Comcast), we need to have ability to stream Netflix, Amazon, and Showtime Anytime.

- Would like to be able to record Showtime Anytime (to catch up on earlier seasons of programs we've missed.)

- Would like to be able to stream recorded programs from TIVO box to iPad and iPhone

I've been trying to figure out the best choice to meet the criteria outlined above (leaning toward buying LT service.)

The basic Roamio would work, but I would need to buy a TIVO Stream to get content to the 2nd TV (Is this true if I keep one of my HD boxes?).

The Plus or Pro would work - only difference I can see is HD size. (I wouldn't need to purchase the Stream.)

Hard part is working through the iterations.

Buy a new Roamio, sell the HD 20.
Buy a new Roamio, sell the HD XL and HD 20.
- try to get LT transferred to the Roamio. Is that something TIVO does?

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but I thought maybe some of you who have been through this decision-making process could offer your thoughts.

PS I'm assuming Roamio can still 'talk' to HDs, right (ie, watch a HD recorded movie via Roamio and vice versa).

Thanks!

Scott
scottkathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You're a little confused. The TiVo Stream is needed to watch shows on an iPad/iPhone. If you want to watch on another TV you need a TiVo Mini. (or another Premiere or Roamio)

As for your app requirements... TiVo only does Netflix. You'd have to use a secondary device for Amazon Prime streaming and ShowTime Anytime.

I don't think there is any TV based device that does ShowTime Anytime. I think that's restricted to PCs and mobile devices. Also there is no way you're going to be able to record ShowTime Anytime. Not unless you get into a PC based screen scraping system.

Although because you're in a Comcast area you "might" have access to Xfinity on demand through your TiVo. They typically have the same, or more, content as ShowTime Anytime as long as you're subscribed to ShowTime. But Xfinity is only available through TiVo in some areas, so you'd have to check if it's available in yours.

Personally I would sell or get rid of all the TiVos you have. Buy a Roamio Plus or Pro and a TiVo Mini for the second TV. If you have access to Xfinity then both the Roamio and the Mini will be able to access that for ShowTime. For Amazon you'd need a secondary device. Maybe a Roku? They're small and cheap.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
scottkathi

Dan, thanks for the help. I guess I was confused...

We live in the Seattle area, where apparently the VOD from Comcast is available. Given that, do you know if it's possible to record a program when using VOD? Or is it not allowed by the Roamio box?

And do you think TIVO would transfer the LT on my HD XL to a new Roamio?

Thanks, Scott
scottkathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

No you can not record VOD. The only way to record VOD, on any device, is to exploit the analog hole. There are PC based capture cards that can capture HD via component. People have also recently discovered how to capture the output of a Slingbox. If you really need to record VOD content then that's the only way to do it.

No TiVo will not transfer lifetime service to a new Roamio. However your HD XL is probably worth ~$300 if you sell it on eBay, so you could use that money to apply towards a new Roamio.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No you can not record VOD. The only way to record VOD, on any device, is to exploit the analog hole.
Is that true? Since many VOD recordings are not copy protected (I am using my ability to record onto my XS32 as anecdotal evidence), couldn't one record the HDMI directly? Are there no ways to record non-copy-protected HDMI on PCs?

For example, I often dub the VOD of various shows, some _not_ on the OTA stations, like Top Gear US, and Cutthroat Kitchen, to my XS32 to watch faster than realtime. Yes, that is via the 'analog hole', but tons of other stuff IS copy protected and un-recordable that way.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are capture devices that support HDMI, but most VOD content is copy protected so you have to use component video. It still looks fine though. The biggest downfall is a) HD capture cards are expensive and b) it takes a lot of time to capture (realtime) and if you do it unattended and something goes wrong you have to start over.

These days it's probably just easier to find the show you want on BitTorrent.