TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #91
Dan203
Super Moderator

That seems excessively complicated. Why do you have a Mini and Roamio in the same room?

I use to have a setup like that. (i.e. matrix switch, distributions system, etc....) I've since simplified significantly. Once I get the XB1 I'll be down to 4 devices connected to a receiver feeding 1 TV. In the other rooms I have Minis for TiVo and smart TVs for everything else.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #92
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That seems excessively complicated. Why do you have a Mini and Roamio in the same room?

I use to have a setup like that. (i.e. matrix switch, distributions system, etc....) I've since simplified significantly. Once I get the XB1 I'll be down to 4 devices connected to a receiver feeding 1 TV. In the other rooms I have Minis for TiVo and smart TVs for everything else.
Forgot to mention that all of my equipment sits in a closet and the iScan Duo allows me to pipe content to two separate screens. I love not having to see my equipment while watching TV in the living room. My other screen sits in my dining room/office/kitchen so I can watch TV while cooking or play games on my PC with a mouse and keyboard. I live in an apartment and alone so having the same content on multiple screens is ideal. Excessive? Sure. Awesome and convenient for a tech lover like myself? YES

My setup is exactly like this already but without a TiVo Mini hooked up and a 360 instead of a Xbox One. Its not complicated to the passerby because all of it is controlled by a Harmony 900 that makes it accessible.

Above all I love this stuff. I love figuring out how I'll make it seamless. Sure it will take a little effort to get it working but then I'll never touch it. I haven't had to change the wiring and remote since I set everything up 3 years ago (besides switching on my XL4 for a Roamio).

Last edited by rhettf : 11-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #93
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
well, i wont be chaining my tivo to the xbox one this friday. the verge confirmed that the xbox wont pass through Dolby Digital and that the option to transcode it to PCM is not enabled. dumb.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5...box-one-review

Yeah, that's awkward, but I don't think it will impact too many people. I mean, I'm fairly tech and AV savvy and it doesn't impact me. I don't care if DD goes from my cable box to my TV since I don't run my cable box through a receiver anyways. But I imagine you probably run your HDMI through a receiver, right? Which means you get degraded audio through your receiver.

I only run BD movies through my receiver from my PS3. Regular TV just goes through my TV speakers.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #94
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Yeah, that's awkward, but I don't think it will impact too many people. I mean, I'm fairly tech and AV savvy and it doesn't impact me. I don't care if DD goes from my cable box to my TV since I don't run my cable box through a receiver anyways. But I imagine you probably run your HDMI through a receiver, right? Which means you get degraded audio through your receiver.

I only run BD movies through my receiver from my PS3. Regular TV just goes through my TV speakers.
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to run the cable through the receiver and use actual speakers instead of usually pretty awful TV speakers? does it not have multiple hdmi inputs?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #95
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
So why not just transcode to PCM in the TiVo (turn off DD)? Who gives a hoot where it's transcoded, the real problem is that it IS transcoded and not sent through unmolested as a DD signal, not where it's transcoded.
why should i? i want to hear the source audio, i don't want it transcoded. and yes, i can hear the difference.

Quote:

it probably doesn't affect most people, but it affects me. and if this xbox is going to take 20 minutes asking me questions as to what type of cable box i have, what kind of tv i have, and what kind of Surround sound system i have to it control it, the stupid thing better handle audio pass through correctly. watching football in stereo is horrendous.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #96
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
why should i? i want to hear the source audio, i don't want it transcoded. and yes, i can hear the difference.
I can hear the different of DD, DD+, True HD, and Master but I have never noticed the difference of DD/DD+/True HD/Master audio to PCM. I have really nice speakers too. I always want to bitstream but I am willing to compromise on TV Audio since it's already much lower quality than say a blu-ray or vudu stream.

Quote:
it probably doesn't affect most people, but it affects me. and if this xbox is going to take 20 minutes asking me questions as to what type of cable box i have, what kind of tv i have, and what kind of Surround sound system i have to it control it, the stupid thing better handle audio pass through correctly. watching football in stereo is horrendous.
It sucks it doesn't support 5.1 at launch but I'm glad its in beta and that full support will arrive soon. Its better than never having it. I won't hook up my Roamio until surround is fully supported but will hook up my mini so I can watch live tv that doesn't benefit from surround sound, like the food network.

I agree it does suck and the sentiment that it doesn't affect most people is annoying. People like us are the ones most likely to buy a XBONE at launch!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #97
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Forgot to mention that all of my equipment sits in a closet and the iScan Duo allows me to pipe content to two separate screens
How do you plan to deal with the kinect? It only has a 3 meter cable and as of yet no extension is available.

That is the only reason all of my equipment isn't in a closet in the back of my living room

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #98
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
How do you plan to deal with the kinect? It only has a 3 meter cable and as of yet no extension is available.

That is the only reason all of my equipment isn't in a closet in the back of my living room
My closet is just behind the TV and to the left. So the kinect is less than 3 meters away.

They will also release extension cables for the kinect probably, just like the 360 version had: Kinect Extension Cable

edit sorry I just realized you mentioned the extension cable. I take it your closet is further away than 30 feet?

Last edited by rhettf : 11-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #99
JosephB

Quote:
My closet is just behind the TV and to the left. So the kinect is less than 3 meters away.

They will also release extension cables for the kinect probably, just like the 360 version had: Kinect Extension Cable

edit sorry I just realized you mentioned the extension cable. I take it your closet is further away than 30 feet?
Yeah, my cables run through the attic. I previously ran an HDMI cable, and 50 feet was *just* enough.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #100
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Forgot to mention that all of my equipment sits in a closet and the iScan Duo allows me to pipe content to two separate screens. I love not having to see my equipment while watching TV in the living room. My other screen sits in my dining room/office/kitchen so I can watch TV while cooking or play games on my PC with a mouse and keyboard. I live in an apartment and alone so having the same content on multiple screens is ideal. Excessive? Sure. Awesome and convenient for a tech lover like myself? YES

My setup is exactly like this already but without a TiVo Mini hooked up and a 360 instead of a Xbox One. Its not complicated to the passerby because all of it is controlled by a Harmony 900 that makes it accessible.

Above all I love this stuff. I love figuring out how I'll make it seamless. Sure it will take a little effort to get it working but then I'll never touch it. I haven't had to change the wiring and remote since I set everything up 3 years ago (besides switching on my XL4 for a Roamio).
When I had my matrix switch setup I had all kinds of problems. The matrix switch would confuse the EDID on the HDMI so I'd have to fiddle with it to get the proper sound. It would also confuse the distribution system so I'd have to fiddle with it to get it working in the other room if it had been a while. It worked but it was a huge PITA! I've decided I prefer simple. SO like I said I bought TiVo Minis and smart TVs for the other rooms and the only thing connecting the main TV to the other rooms are network cables. It makes everything really simple and reduces cable clutter immensely.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #101
JosephB

Quote:
When I had my matrix switch setup I had all kinds of problems. The matrix switch would confuse the EDID on the HDMI so I'd have to fiddle with it to get the proper sound. It would also confuse the distribution system so I'd have to fiddle with it to get it working in the other room if it had been a while. It worked but it was a huge PITA! I've decided I prefer simple. SO like I said I bought TiVo Minis and smart TVs for the other rooms and the only thing connecting the main TV to the other rooms are network cables. It makes everything really simple and reduces cable clutter immensely.
Same!

I had a 4x2 matrix and put everything in my closet and was using HDMI over Cat5 baluns, and it never really worked right. Between the HDMI extenders and the 4x2 HDMI switch to two rooms, HDCP content was a crapshoot.

Since I'm switching back to TiVo from DirecTV, I have reactivated my two Premieres in the two rooms where I had my "master closet" content available. With the Xbox One, in the living room I can play literally everything I want either on the Xbox One or the TiVo, and my TV can play content through Plex for the (decreasing amount of) downloaded video I want to play that XBone won't support.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #102
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Interesting, I don't use a matrix switch and never had issues like the ones you mentioned.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #103
Grakthis

Quote:
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to run the cable through the receiver and use actual speakers instead of usually pretty awful TV speakers? does it not have multiple hdmi inputs?
My receiver has 0 hdmi inputs. It's from like 2000. I use optical for my PS3 and that's the only device hooked up to it right now. There was no HDMI when I got my receiver. And the benefits of upgrading are pretty small right now. I prefer to switch inputs on my TV rather than a receiver because my TV let's me have different video settings for the different sources which is great for gaming and movies vs live TV.

Mostly, I just don't want my TV coming through my big speakers and subwoofer. TV should be low-key and quiet so I don't wake up my kid or sleeping wife. Movies go through the big speakers. That's how I like it.

I'll upgrade receivers someday to one that let's me stream audio from an android device via an open format that doesn't require a special app from the company that makes the receiver. Probably something like Miracast. Until then, there's no rush.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #104
Grakthis

I watch football in stereo all the time. Well, mostly, I go to games or watch them at Bw3's. But when I watch football at home, it's in stereo. It is not at all horrendous.

I don't want to be a dick, cause I have those pet things about which I am a snob (mostly coffee and beer) but if you think watching media in stereo is "horrendous" then it's definitely time for a "check your privilege." It's perfectly fine.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #105
Grakthis

Did some research and found out the optical out on the Xbox One will only do DTS and Stereo. It's EXPECTED they will add 5.1, but they haven't confirmed it. Which means I'm hosed on using it to watch BD movies. So, I guess my PS3 will stay as my BD player for a while still. Shame.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #106
JosephB

Quote:
Did some research and found out the optical out on the Xbox One will only do DTS and Stereo. It's EXPECTED they will add 5.1, but they haven't confirmed it. Which means I'm hosed on using it to watch BD movies. So, I guess my PS3 will stay as my BD player for a while still. Shame.
Wait, when watching a DVD or Bluray or playing a game or anything else where the audio is generated by the XBone (IE: not passthrough) it won't output Dolby Digital?

Does that apply only to the optical out or to the HDMI as well? That doesn't seem right at all. Sounds like maybe things are getting mixed up with the passthrough limitation (which a fix is in "beta" and is specifically related to a problem with passthrough)

Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #107
HarperVision

Quote:

We had this same issue when the ps3 first came out and it wouldn't do streaming multichannel audio. You could only output multi channel PCM. Everyone was freaking out, but myself and the audio experts were laughing because it didn't really matter one bit whether the DD signal was transcoded to multi-channel PCM in the ps3 or in your receiver. I may have confused what's happening with the XBone. Is it changing it to stereo or multi-channel PCM? If stereo then yeah, that would suck.
Quote:

I can hear the different of DD, DD+, True HD, and Master but I have never noticed the difference of DD/DD+/True HD/Master audio to PCM. I have really nice speakers too...
This I agree with though.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #108
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Dolby Digital is coming post launch. This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it.

Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=240

Why do you need DD instead of DTS?

Quote:
Mostly, I just don't want my TV coming through my big speakers and subwoofer. TV should be low-key and quiet so I don't wake up my kid or sleeping wife. Movies go through the big speakers. That's how I like it.
Thats what night mode is for or headphones

In my experience playing audio through my TV (my AVR was broken for a couple weeks) bothered my neighbors and playing stuff through my receiver didn't. The audio that comes out of a TV are from speakers that tend to change the dynamic range and for whatever reason it's a frequency that passes through walls much easier.

There is some great benefits with HDMI like TrueHD or Master Audio. Its incredible how much more fidelity you'll get and you will get the ability to hear more at lower volumes.

If you only have one optical input will you not be using the big speaker with the xbox one either?

I totally get your understanding, just sharing my experience. It was crazy to me that my TV was more obnoxious than my full range speakers.

Quote:
I'll upgrade receivers someday to one that let's me stream audio from an android device via an open format that doesn't require a special app from the company that makes the receiver. Probably something like Miracast. Until then, there's no rush.
You could just get a chromecast, which will add miracast for $35 to any hdmi input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
We had this same issue when the ps3 first came out and it wouldn't do streaming multichannel audio. You could only output multi channel PCM. Everyone was freaking out, but myself and the audio experts were laughing because it didn't really matter one bit whether the DD signal was transcoded to multi-channel PCM in the ps3 or in your receiver. I may have confused what's happening with the XBone. Is it changing it to stereo or multi-channel PCM? If stereo then yeah, that would suck.
This I agree with though.
For the most part this is true BUT if you have a really high end receiver it could do a better job of decoding the bitstream than the ps3. Though most people don't spend 1000K+ on a AVR.

While I am fine with PCM I noticed when my receiver gets PCM I can't run different Audio processes. I like to have THX Cinema, THX Games, and night mode for various situations.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #109
JosephB

I'm still confused.

If you were to play a Bluray on the XBone that is Dolby Digital only, not DTS, what do you get out of the HDMI port on the XBone? Uncompressed PCM?

Honestly as long as it sends all 6 (or 8/9 as the case might be) channels of audio, I couldn't care less if it's uncompressed PCM or Dolby Digital. If it forces things like movies down to 2.1 stereo, then they have made a serious error when it comes to their priorities.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #110
Grakthis

Quote:
Wait, when watching a DVD or Bluray or playing a game or anything else where the audio is generated by the XBone (IE: not passthrough) it won't output Dolby Digital?

Does that apply only to the optical out or to the HDMI as well? That doesn't seem right at all. Sounds like maybe things are getting mixed up with the passthrough limitation (which a fix is in "beta" and is specifically related to a problem with passthrough)

I'm not 100% sure but this is my understanding... the Xbox One will generate DD (or whatever format you want).. but only output it via HDMI. The optical will output only stereo or DTS. There are no other options for the optical port. Which is what I use on my receiver.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #111
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think the confusion is coming from what the pass through port can do and what the XBox itself can do. I "think" that when you play games or play a BD you'll get DD 5.1 (or 7.1) sound. The issue is related to the pass through port. Because they are overlaying sounds into the live stream they have to decode it and then reencode it for output. It sounds like they don't have a DD license for that so the sound is downmixed to stereo PCM. Although there is some beta option to recode to DTS, so they apparently have a license for DTS.

In my experience with Dolby and DTS I can understand why. Getting a Dolby license is a HUGE PITA! They make you submit everything to them for certification and then you have to resubmit every time you update the software. This is why very few devices can actually encode DD audio. And software packages that offer it, mostly high end, include it as a plug-in because then they only have to re-certify when they update the plug-in and not every time they make a change in unrelated software.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #112
Grakthis

Quote:
Dolby Digital is coming post launch. This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it.

Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=240

Why do you need DD instead of DTS?
*nods* this is what I was assuming. It seemed obvious it would be added. It just means I can't sell my Ps3 yet, since it's my only BD player that will output DD via optical. Not a catastrophe.

I need DD instead of DTS because my receiver is from 2000 and as far as I know can't handle DTS. There is no DTS stamp on the receiver nor have I ever seen a DTS setting for the listen mode. It's stereo or DD 5.1.

Quote:
Thats what night mode is for or headphones
Yeah, not a fan of headphones unless I'm at my PC and even then only when I need the mic and I really just don't need 5.1 for watching Agents of SHIELD or an NBA game, you know? It's overkill. It's more important that I can hear my wife talking to me from the kitchen.

Quote:
In my experience playing audio through my TV (my AVR was broken for a couple weeks) bothered my neighbors and playing stuff through my receiver didn't. The audio that comes out of a TV are from speakers that tend to change the dynamic range and for whatever reason it's a frequency that passes through walls much easier.

There is some great benefits with HDMI like TrueHD or Master Audio. Its incredible how much more fidelity you'll get and you will get the ability to hear more at lower volumes.
So, we're stuck in a small house because my wife is about to finish medical school this year. So until her residency was set, we couldn't move (and her residency gets set in March, I think). We have one kid and another on the way. The next house, wherever it is, is going to have a basement with a dedicated media room and full floor between us and the sleeping kids. At that point, I will buy start shopping for a new receiver that can do HDMI and Miracast and run all of my audio through it. And we'll probably have a smaller TV upstairs that just runs through the TV speakers.

In the meantime, in our tiny house, it's just not feasible for me to spend time, effort or money on a sound setup that I can't run 90% of the time due to sleeping kids.

Quote:
If you only have one optical input will you not be using the big speaker with the xbox one either?

I totally get your understanding, just sharing my experience. It was crazy to me that my TV was more obnoxious than my full range speakers.
Tomorrow, no, I won't be running my Xbox One through the receiver. No place to hook it up with the PS3 occupying the optical. It's just going to have to wait until the optical can do DD and then I'll sell off the Ps3 to a friend and let the Xbox One take over the media duties. I assume the Xbox 360 is a brick once I move my Xbox Live sub over to the One, so I'll probably see if any of my co-workers wants to give me $50 for it. It's a first edition that's had a RRoD repaired on it, so it's not worth much.

Quote:
You could just get a chromecast, which will add miracast for $35 to any hdmi input.
Woah what? Since when does a chromecast do miracast? It's dial with a browser. I'm not aware of it enabling miracast functionality. Do you have a link for that? I have a chromecast on my bedroom TV. I love it. Sadly, my free netflix ran out, but just in time for my HBO Go to get added.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #113
Grakthis

Quote:
I think the confusion is coming from what the pass through port can do and what the XBox itself can do. I "think" that when you play games or play a BD you'll get DD 5.1 (or 7.1) sound. The issue is related to the pass through port. Because they are overlaying sounds into the live stream they have to decode it and then reencode it for output. It sounds like they don't have a DD license for that so the sound is downmixed to stereo PCM. Although there is some beta option to recode to DTS, so they apparently have a license for DTS.

In my experience with Dolby and DTS I can understand why. Getting a Dolby license is a HUGE PITA! They make you submit everything to them for certification and then you have to resubmit every time you update the software. This is why very few devices can actually encode DD audio. And software packages that offer it, mostly high end, include it as a plug-in because then they only have to re-certify when they update the plug-in and not every time they make a change in unrelated software.
Ah, so the audio coming from a source material (BD disc or game) will already be encoded in DD 5.1, so there's no need for the license?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #114
JosephB

I don't think it's an audit question, and it's still not 100% clear when this issue applies. There are a lot of situations that aren't clear:

1. Dolby Digital out through the optical port, source: HDMI passthrough
2. Dolby Digital out through HDMI out, source: HDMI passthrough
3. Dolby Digital out through optical port, source: Bluray, XBone game, Netflix app on XBone
4. Dolby Digital out through HDMI out, source: Bluray, XBone game, Netflix app on XBone

Obviously the first two are not working properly because of the "Dolby Digital for passthrough" is in beta. The question is what is the situation with 3 and 4. And, if DD is not available in situations 3 and 4, do you still get 5.1 multichannel audio, or do they mash it down to stereo?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #115
Grakthis

According to what I read, the optical will not output DD no matter what the source is. But the HDMI will output whatever you need it to, except for pass-through.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #116
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
I don't think it's an audit question, and it's still not 100% clear when this issue applies. There are a lot of situations that aren't clear:

1. Dolby Digital out through the optical port, source: HDMI passthrough
2. Dolby Digital out through HDMI out, source: HDMI passthrough
3. Dolby Digital out through optical port, source: Bluray, XBone game, Netflix app on XBone
4. Dolby Digital out through HDMI out, source: Bluray, XBone game, Netflix app on XBone

Obviously the first two are not working properly because of the "Dolby Digital for passthrough" is in beta. The question is what is the situation with 3 and 4. And, if DD is not available in situations 3 and 4, do you still get 5.1 multichannel audio, or do they mash it down to stereo?
It's actually very clear: There is No Dolby Digital Output from the Xbox One AT ALL. TV will be transcoded to DTS or Uncompressed Stereo OR 5.1 (if surround sound beta is on).

There is No passive pass through which would allow DD to get through instead the xbox touches all the video and audio.

Quote:
According to what I read, the optical will not output DD no matter what the source is. But the HDMI will output whatever you need it to, except for pass-through.
HDMI will not output DD either. The box just doesn't support DD currently. Which is insane since its the most common format.

These boxes are coming in hot, with unfinished software that is for sure!

Last edited by rhettf : 11-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #117
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Yeah, not a fan of headphones unless I'm at my PC and even then only when I need the mic and I really just don't need 5.1 for watching Agents of SHIELD or an NBA game, you know? It's overkill. It's more important that I can hear my wife talking to me from the kitchen.
Its overkill for diner, drive in's and dives, reality TV, and HGTV shows BUT I completely disagree with your two examples. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and sports are why there is 5.1 on TV Channels.

Why would watching The Avengers in 5.1 not be overkill but S.H.I.E.L.D is? They both have action set pieces that are great in 5.1

Why couldn't you have TV in 5.1 and turn down the volume when you need to hear someone or not bother them? If your speakers are calibrated correctly you won't lose the fidelity. I can easily hear my girlfriend from another room while watching TV.

Quote:
So, we're stuck in a small house because my wife is about to finish medical school this year. So until her residency was set, we couldn't move (and her residency gets set in March, I think). We have one kid and another on the way. The next house, wherever it is, is going to have a basement with a dedicated media room and full floor between us and the sleeping kids. At that point, I will buy start shopping for a new receiver that can do HDMI and Miracast and run all of my audio through it. And we'll probably have a smaller TV upstairs that just runs through the TV speakers.

In the meantime, in our tiny house, it's just not feasible for me to spend time, effort or money on a sound setup that I can't run 90% of the time due to sleeping kids.
I live in a 900 square feet apartment. So I get what you're saying but my point is that you could actually hear more and disturb people less with a proper 5.1 with night mode.

Totally understand not wanting to spend lots of money but with some proper calibration you could make things simplier.

If you need another optical input you can buy this really simple switcher for 7 bucks:

I use to use this beauty when I had only one input: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq...FU7ZQgodOlYANg

Quote:
Woah what? Since when does a chromecast do miracast? It's dial with a browser. I'm not aware of it enabling miracast functionality. Do you have a link for that? I have a chromecast on my bedroom TV. I love it. Sadly, my free netflix ran out, but just in time for my HBO Go to get added.
Sorry I was really just combining dial/miracast since 90% of people don't use the little extra thing miracast does over DIAL. If you want a chromecast like sized device that does miracast here is one for $50 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Display-Dongle...words=miracast
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #118
Dan203
Super Moderator

Here is a quote from Microsoft's Albert Penello...

Quote:
Dolby Digital is coming post launch. This was a SW scheduling issue pure and simple, and I know people are disappointed, but we will have it. Anyone with an HDMI receiver should be fine, as we pass the uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 through HDMI as well as DTS. Even if you have a Dolby only HDMI receiver (which I'm not sure exists), you will still get 5.1 or 7.1 sound since those receivers should accept uncompressed surround. For the Dolby only headsets, my understanding is that these will work but you will only get stereo audio since we only pass Stereo and DTS through the optical port. I have not tested this myself, but I'm told it works. Regardless, I understand this is an inconvenience, but again we're going to have Dolby coming."

This is unrelated to the HDMI-IN "Surround Sound" beta. To clarify, we default HDMI-IN audio to be converted to Stereo. However, we do have a feature you can access in TV settings/Troubleshooting that enables Surround Sound in "beta" form. If you check the box, and you get Surround, you're golden. We found some inconsistencies in STB's during testing and decided to disable it by default to insure a good initial setup experience for people.
So for HDMI out you'll get all audio formats. For HDMI pass-through there is a "beta" feature to enable DD but it doesn't work with all TVs/Receivers so it's disabled by default. Optical out is where the problem is. If you use optical out you will not get DD audio, only stereo or DTS. This is a problem because a lot of high end headsets use optical connections with built in DD decoders. For those you'll have to set output to stereo and depend on ProLogic to get fake surround sound.

Unfortunately the whole headset experience is going to be crippled on the XB1 at launch. Not only is DD sound not working on the optical port but they wont have the chat adapter available until February.

It really does feel like it was pushed to market before it was really ready to meet the holiday deadline.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #119
JosephB

The PS4 is half baked too. Given that these consoles have a 10 year planned lifetime, I'm ok with them not being perfect out of the gate.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #120
Dan203
Super Moderator

Given that they've had 8 years to work on them I'm pretty surprised they're so half baked.