TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
rsnaider

I just swapped out a Pro and if you do an advance replacement they will need to charge your CC until you return the old box.

They will provide a return UPS shipping label that you can print out and if you do not have the original box you can just send it back in the boxes that the replacement comes in.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
jrock

The Attenuators just came in. The tech told me to get a 10db and my local radio shack didn't have any so I had to order it online. I decided to go with a combo pack that had a 3,6,10, and 20. Good thing I did. I put the 10 on and it was still 100 signal and 40 SNR. I put the 20 on and now its 83 / 33 and within the range from the TiVo support page.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150

Keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes it. I returned the UPS at least I got $63 back from that.

-Joe
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
The Attenuators just came in. The tech told me to get a 10db and my local radio shack didn't have any so I had to order it online. I decided to go with a combo pack that had a 3,6,10, and 20. Good thing I did. I put the 10 on and it was still 100 signal and 40 SNR. I put the 20 on and now its 83 / 33 and within the range from the TiVo support page.
If the 10db attenuator only took you that far down, then your original signal was pretty clearly too strong, and there's no question that Roamio's are more sensitive to overly strong signals. It may or may not solve your final problem (could be your signal being that strong is a symptom of some other cable problem), but you've made progress. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
jrock

It has to be a Roamio problem. We have two 4 tuner Premiere's and I just replaced a series 3 with the Roamio. The Series 3 had been running since 2008 ish with no problems and we got the 2 Premieres in June and had no issues. The same exact cable the Roamio is on now I had a Premiere on before and it has a 91 signal and a 36 SNR. We also have internet and phone on the cable line and everything is perfect except this new Roamio. It's like it has a signal booster built in it or something weird.

I see a really long thread on here about a V58 error and not authorized tuners. I do get that error a few times when I reboot but if I change channels and go back it finally works. Most those people are finding it to be a cable card issue. This is the same cable card the old Series 3 had but I checked the firmware and it is updated to what other people have with scientific atlanta cards from that thread.

It just seems like its so new there are still quite a few issues with the roamio. I just hope they can fix it all with software updates if this doesn't do the trick.

-Joe
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The signal coming into your home is unreasonably strong and your video provider should adjust it at the pole/etc.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #36
jrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
The signal coming into your home is unreasonably strong and your video provider should adjust it at the pole/etc.
Why is this only effecting the Roamio then? The signal is perfect on the other 3 older TiVo's. Unfortunately the cable isn't in my name so I can't get them to do anything like that. I highly doubt it's that though, since everything else we have in the house works perfect. I'm sure even if a comcast tech did come out he would notice the signal perfect on the other equipment and say its the Roamio.

-Joe
Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Why is this only effecting the Roamio then? The signal is perfect on the other 3 older TiVo's. Unfortunately the cable isn't in my name so I can't get them to do anything like that. I highly doubt it's that though, since everything else we have in the house works perfect. I'm sure even if a comcast tech did come out he would notice the signal perfect on the other equipment and say its the Roamio.
As I said in my message, the Roamio is known to be more susceptible to too much power. There have been reports here that it contains an extra amplifier in order to then split among 6 tuners instead of 2 or 4, but I don't know if those reports have been confirmed by TiVo.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #38
jrock

Well it locked up again over night. Has the perfect signal strength and is off the UPS so nothing I do fixes it. It worked fine for 1 full week so something must of just gone bad in it. I'll have to send it back
Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #39
Devx

Quote:
Well it locked up again over night. Has the perfect signal strength and is off the UPS so nothing I do fixes it. It worked fine for 1 full week so something must of just gone bad in it. I'll have to send it back
It happens but it's much better for it to happen now than later.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #40
jrock

Hmm I did the advanced replacement so I could keep using this until the new one comes but they already removed it from my account and it no longer has a subscription. They didn't copy the season passes to the new one either. I had 135 or more season passes. That was my whole reason of doing the advanced replacement.

I'll have to call after work and see if they can restore it temporarily or at least copy the season passes.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
rsnaider

They should be able to put the service back on the old box as I had the same issue. You will just need to call them when you setup the replacement and they will move the service again.

Season Pass Manager needs both to be active so I used kmttg for the 1st time and it moved over all SP's and WL's without any issues.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #42
jrock

They made me start a new subscription and said I have to cancel within 30 days and can get a full refund. Otherwise I get a $75 cancellation fee if I wait longer.

I had no idea what kmttg was so I searched it and tried it out. Wow that is so cool! New toy!

-Joe
Old 11-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
rsnaider

I had Lifetime on my unit so moving it around was not an issue.

kmttg is a nice little toy with many more features then just backup and restore of SP's.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #44
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

kmttg is the solution for season passes, for sure.

But you will *ALWAYS* lose all your dozens, hundreds, or thousands of program ratings. And you will lose all your other settings, including what could be hours worth of setting up channels you get and don't, channels you want to turn off because you don't like, and those you want to make your "fav". And lots of other stuff (network settings, screen settings, preview preferences, video providers, sort orders, etc, etc).

I have complained literally DOZENS and DOZENS of times to TiVo over the phone, in Emails, in surveys, in beta testing, via this forum, that they need to have an option for backup up these ratings and settings so we can store them off-box for restoration after hardware failure or upgrading. USB flash drive. Transfer to computer through network. Transfer to TiVo's servers through the Internet. SOMETHING!!!

They could at LEAST provide an import/export API so that third parties could do it for them. I bet moyekj would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Ug.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #45
jrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We will be releasing an update later today for TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini.

Here is a list of some of the changes:
- fixed an issue where the video would occasionally freeze and the box would become unresponsive
OMG! That's the problem I have been having!? The TiVo tech support people didn't mention anything about it possibly being a known issue. I wonder if this will fix my problem.

It hasn't locked up in the last 24 hours but I got home today and noticed it had rebooted (must of been from the software update) but no channels would come in. I got v53 or wierd other errors on all tuners. Even taking the Cable card out and back in didn't fix it. I restarted and now its fine.

The new box comes Monday so will have to see if this locks up over the weekend.

-Joe
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
jrock

Well it hasn't frozen up to the point of needing to unplug it since the update. Now it freezes and becomes unresponsive then reboots itself. Still once a day it seems. Now I'm thinking its more a software issue. I guess I'll try the new one when it comes on Monday and hope it doesn't do the same thing.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #47
33602Kahuna

I have had issues with my premiere, when background tuners have to change channels on more than one tuner (while I watch live tv). It doesn't happen when I am watching a recorded program.
Try setting up multiple recordings to happen simultaneously while watching live TV. AND, make sure that non of the new shows are on channels that the Tivo is currently set to.
My display hangs with the remote unresponsive, ESPECIALLY when i respond to clear the channel change warning message on the screen.
33602Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #48
tough joe

Quote:
Well it hasn't frozen up to the point of needing to unplug it since the update. Now it freezes and becomes unresponsive then reboots itself. Still once a day it seems. Now I'm thinking its more a software issue. I guess I'll try the new one when it comes on Monday and hope it doesn't do the same thing.
can you provide an update?
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote