TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
thinguy

Evansville TWC/Insight Tivo cablecard setup

I've been going around in circles with TWC on various services. I'm in an old Insight location so a lot of the services they offer online and on the phone end up not being available come install time.
I'm at the point where I've picked up a Tivo Roamio and a cablecard from TWC. I went to install that and TWC/Insight number wouldn't setup because I didn't have a "Tuning Adapter". Went back to the local office (3rd trip) and they had no idea what a Tuning adapter was and couldn't find anyone "in the back" that did know. Got another number to call and they took cablecard setup info without asking about an adapter but premium channels don't work. A problem the tivo docs say is because a tuning adapter is required. TWC rep set an appointment for a tech to troubleshoot but I have little confidence at this point.
Anyone have any advise or knowledge on Insight/Evansville and Tivo/Cablecard setup?
I've threatened to drop TWC a few times but the hassle of going to Wowway and the unknowns on their quality are preventing it but I'm about at that point.
thinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinguy View Post
I've been going around in circles with TWC on various services. I'm in an old Insight location so a lot of the services they offer online and on the phone end up not being available come install time.
I'm at the point where I've picked up a Tivo Roamio and a cablecard from TWC. I went to install that and TWC/Insight number wouldn't setup because I didn't have a "Tuning Adapter". Went back to the local office (3rd trip) and they had no idea what a Tuning adapter was and couldn't find anyone "in the back" that did know. Got another number to call and they took cablecard setup info without asking about an adapter but premium channels don't work. A problem the tivo docs say is because a tuning adapter is required. TWC rep set an appointment for a tech to troubleshoot but I have little confidence at this point.
Anyone have any advise or knowledge on Insight/Evansville and Tivo/Cablecard setup?
I've threatened to drop TWC a few times but the hassle of going to Wowway and the unknowns on their quality are preventing it but I'm about at that point.
Where does TiVo say that not getting premium channels is due to a tuning adapter? It can be true, but in almost all cases it's due to cablecard setup problems (not being paired) rather than tuning adapter.

I don't know what kind of cablecard you have, but you can look at Tivo'c cablecard troubleshooting guide so you can check whether your cablecard is setup properly.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
jsquared222

If it helps, my parents in Newburgh have been using a Series 3 HD TiVo (not the OLED) with Wowway for several years and have been very happy. To my knowledge, they donít require a tuning adapter so I assume that Wowway doesnít use switched digital video. One thing to consider if you go with Wowway is that they didnít have multi-stream cable cards several years ago, so my parents received one of their 2 cable cards rent free. This could be a deal breaker with a roamio or premiere which require a multi-stream card.
jsquared222 is offline   Reply With Quote