Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #31
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
FOX has a history of quickly cancelling shows that aren't sufficiently profitable.
Seriously?

If you mean ancient history, sure. But in the last few years, they have a history of giving expensive genre shows an insane opportunity to prove themselves. Dollhouse, Sarah Connor, Alias...none of these would probably have lasted a season on most networks, much less been renewed.

People really need to get over Firefly. Not because anything good or excusable happened there, but because it was a decade ago and the people responsible for that fiasco are long, long gone from Fox.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
vman41
Omega Consumer

I did get a Blade Runner vibe in the pilot, the scene at the street diner hammered it home.

Their vision of the future does try to incoporate current trends, like the ubiquity of cameras.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked it. I am rather surprised this is a 7pm (central time) show, though. It is fairly dark and disturbing for a 7pm show. I guess networks don't assume as much as they used to about the 7pm vs 9pm.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
RickStrobel

I find it fun and interesting that his police cruiser is a Ford Fusion:

Looks like it'd be a great car to buy today knowing that it's styling is still fresh in 2048
RickStrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #35
mr.unnatural

Blade Runner vs. Robocop vs. I, Robot. How can you go wrong? I'm in.

FWIW, they used the Ford Taurus painted flat black for the police cruisers in Robocop. It was also considered one of the most futuristic looking cars at the time.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Seriously?

If you mean ancient history, sure. But in the last few years, they have a history of giving expensive genre shows an insane opportunity to prove themselves. Dollhouse, Sarah Connor, Alias...none of these would probably have lasted a season on most networks, much less been renewed.

People really need to get over Firefly. Not because anything good or excusable happened there, but because it was a decade ago and the people responsible for that fiasco are long, long gone from Fox.
I don't disagree, but Alias was an ABC show.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Otherwise, I enjoyed the pilot well enough to keep the SP around.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #38
allan
I survived the Mayan

I haven't seen the Monday ep yet, but I liked the Sunday pilot.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I don't disagree, but Alias was an ABC show.
Heh, don't know why I typed that, I meant Fringe.

DAMN YOU, AUTO-CORRECT! EVEN ON A PC WHERE I DON'T HAVE YOU, YOU MOCK ME!!

Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
On the East Coast it started about 15 seconds late because the apres-football guys wouldn't shut up soon enough.

So I tagged an extra minute onto the end in the recording options, just in case.
I caught the entire thing with my SP which doesn't have padding.I enjoyed the first two episodes. I just hope it's ratings are good enough for the show to last.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I caught the entire thing with my SP which doesn't have padding.I enjoyed the first two episodes. I just hope it's ratings are good enough for the show to last.
I don't see why not, although I wouldn't be too surprised if Fox decides to move Bones back to Mondays and air Almost Human on Fridays.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
I find it fun and interesting that his police cruiser is a Ford Fusion:

Looks like it'd be a great car to buy today knowing that it's styling is still fresh in 2048
Well, to be fair. They did add 80's window louvers and flat paint.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
Beryl

Where are the self-driving cars?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #44
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I assume the MX's can drive.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I was kinda hoping they WERE self-driving. Because Dr. McCoy was pretty conspicuously not paying any attention to the road, even by television standards (where usually drivers at least glance forward once in a while when they're having intense conversations with the person next to them).
Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #46
cheesesteak
Meh.

I liked it. SP kept.

Kennex seemed like a carbon copy of Supernatural's Dean Winchester.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #47
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I enjoyed it, added bonus, we get to see the second episode tonight.
Gah! I hate it when networks do that. (Air a pilot and a 2nd episode back to back or only a day or two apart) I assumed I had a week to decide whether I liked it and didn't get around to watching the pilot until last night.

Now I find I've already missed the 2nd episode and need to go track it down.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #48
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Interesting, I got more of a Blade Runner vibe, which they were clearly going for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Yeah, I kept expecting Dekker to show up, too!
I saw a theory posted on the internet somewhere: The Detective is a replicant.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Interesting. I wonder how that would gel with his visits to the recollectionist - I would think the recollectionist would be able to distinguish as so far it seems that extracting memories from androids involves a very different process.

Also, (second episode minor spoiler)

Spoiler:
Do androids get "backed up?" I'd think that Dorian's scan of his balls would have yielded other results...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
There was certainly something odd with the cut from that cylinder with the flashing light to his present.

The cylinder was never mentioned again. I certainly thought it was a bomb that was going to blow him to bits. He seemed worried too, judging by how he tried to crawl away. But he did not get far.

If it was a bomb, then he should have taken a lot more damage, if not been killed outright. So, how to explain that he just went into a coma (and had some memory loss)?

Either it was not a bomb...maybe it was some device that would knock him out and then....uh, something nefarious was done to him?

Or if it was a bomb, maybe nothing but his mind survived and they did something to put his mind in a new body? Or maybe not even his mind survived, and he is a replicant with implanted memories?

Anyway, it certainly seemed like something strange happened there. The fact that they have not talked about it reinforces the strangeness.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #51
frombhto323

I got a Minority Report vibe with a sprinkle of Common Law. Liked the first two eps. I'm hoping for more from the ex-gf story than what has been promised so far, but otherwise seems like it's on the right track.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
eddyj

I don't think there is any doubt that the cylinder was a bomb. What do you think ripped his leg off? The fact he was crawling away means his leg took a lot of damage, but probably saved him.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #53
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I don't think there is any doubt that the cylinder was a bomb. What do you think ripped his leg off? The fact he was crawling away means his leg took a lot of damage, but probably saved him.
You are confusing the thing that took his leg off (which was like a ray gun) with the cylinder flash which was the last thing we were shown from that scene.

Two different devices.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #54
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
His leg was already ripped off before the flashing cylinder went off. He was hit by a bullet which seemed to explode upon entry to his leg. He then looks at his now missing leg when the bad guys throw the flashing cylinder. He is crawling away with his leg already gone!

Gerry

The post right before mine beat me to it!!!
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #55
eddyj

Ah, you are right! I'd gotten those events mixed up.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Nerd Alert

I liked it so far, we'll see where it goes. My main gripe is the timeline date of the story 2048. Only 35 years from now! This is common with sci-fi I guess (Space Odyssey 2001, 1984)

I get that many believe the Singularity will happen between 2040 and 2050 if we don't blow ourselves up first, but still all those advancements would be put in place very slowly in a functioning society. It would be more believable if in was set farther out like 2090 when most of us will be long gone.

In this show's timeline, there are super advanced life-like thinking androids 25 years from now. (his partner was reactivated after being shut down for 10 years). When such androids become possible, the testing and political ramifications before releasing such androids in public would take year and years - let alone letting them be cops.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #57
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
I liked it so far, we'll see where it goes. My main gripe is the timeline date of the story 2048. Only 35 years from now!
same here - when the date was displayed on the screen, i did the math and thought to myself, they were very ambitious with predicting tech advances (compared to the past 35 years).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
danterner
Not it!

Why impose our reality upon this fictional universe? There's been nothing to suggest that their 2013 was the same as our 2013 is. Maybe in the universe of this story, androids have been around since the 1980's.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #59
john4200

I do not have a hard time accepting that there could be a breakthrough in artificial intelligence that could enable the minds of those androids in the timeframe portrayed. The progress of computer hardware and software has been extremely rapid the past few decades, so I could see it continuing to something like an android AI brain.

What I think is much less likely is that they would be able to power the "muscles" and joints of such a construct. Battery technology has not been improving anywhere near as quickly as has computer technology, and there are indications that lithium is nearing the end of the road anyway. Sci-fi sometimes talks about miniature fusion reactors for power, but I have a hard time accepting that will happen in the next few decades.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #60
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The whole premise of the show is that technology has begun advancing extremely rapidly and law enforcement is struggling to catch up. If we assume that technology begins to accelerate much more rapidly than it currently is, then it is not that big of a stretch.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote